Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

Meanwhile the Bruins are cruising toward getting to hang up another Presidents Trophy banner. I should have considered it's possible they're the team about to trade a goalie for McLeod plus other stuff. McLeod makes more sense for a team trying to win the Cup right now than a team like the Flames or Ducks.

McLeod doesn't really make sense for Boston. They've got plenty of reliable bottom six forwards, they're missing talent at the top. If they're going to trade for anything it'll be a top six center, although I'm not sure they have the assets for it. Zacha is a top six center but he's realistically a #2C, Poitras might be one eventually but he's only 19. If they're going to go for anyone I think they'll try to get Elias Lindholm, but again, not sure they actually have the assets to make a trade for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Isn't Spengler Cup an adult competition

Yeah, Jurco is 31.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
McLeod is perfectly retradeable later though (or keepable and trade someone else), lots of flexibility if they want to get value now from a goalie-starved team and trade it later for Patrick Kane or whoever.

Anyway I can't imagine the Devils trading McLeod unless it's for a headline goalie. He's young, good, and only an RFA next summer. He is a valuable property.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

McLeod is perfectly retradeable later though (or keepable and trade someone else), lots of flexibility if they want to get value now from a goalie-starved team and trade it later for Patrick Kane or whoever.

Anyway I can't imagine the Devils trading McLeod unless it's for a headline goalie. He's young, good, and only an RFA next summer. He is a valuable property.

Yeah I don't think McLeod is a bad player, he'd just be super redundant on Boston. They already have five guys who can/should play bottom six center (Coyle, Poitras, Frederic, Beecher, Geekie) and all of them are probably as good or better than McLeod, younger, or both. Wouldn't really make sense to weaken their goaltending to add a player they don't really need.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's nothing more fun than a 3 way!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

McLeod is harder to come by because he's the #1 faceoff guy in the league and also an amazing skater. I really don't want NJ to lose him, he has become a fairly pivotal player.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens slowly starting to put together wins. Winning games they woulda blown last year.

I still don't know if it's a good team but their 5v5 analytics are good. PP still a mess, but improving. Goaltending great.

If they can maintain this 5v5 play and goaltending they could conceivably make the playoffs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there any rule about how long a goalie has to hold onto the puck for the refs to blow off a freeze/stoppage?

There was no whistle so fair play to Habs, but goalie held onto the puck for a while and refs pretty much always blow after a second or two

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's rare but I've seen the ref refuse to blow the whistle and yell at the goalie to move the drat puck, if he feels the goalie had a clear opportunity to do so and is just trying to get a whistle. Pretty sure the ref is even allowed to call delay of game on the goalie in an extreme circumstance, though I don't think such a call's been made in years. No idea whether the play you're talking about was anything like that though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens slowly starting to put together wins. Winning games they woulda blown last year.

I still don't know if it's a good team but their 5v5 analytics are good. PP still a mess, but improving. Goaltending great.

If they can maintain this 5v5 play and goaltending they could conceivably make the playoffs.

They're horrifically flawed, but it seems so is the rest of the division so who knows. The goaltending being good is wild though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers finish a 6 game road trip 5-1, are 13-3 over their last 16, are now just 3 points out of the wild card with games in hand and 9th in the west and have a baby soft schedule in January.

Oilers are definitely BACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They're horrifically flawed, but it seems so is the rest of the division so who knows. The goaltending being good is wild though.

At some point you can just believe in the starting goaltender with a .914 career save percentage

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Marc-Andre left years ago dude.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tristan Jarry has a .914 for his career or am I being whooshed here somewhere.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

MAF is career .912 and I was attempting to be funny. I've seen Jarry collapse get hurt then collapse again already.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
hosed up what the Sabres are doing to Devon Levi this year, just waived Comrie today too so he’s there to stay lol

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Jarry’s generally been above average to good in his tenure, just injury prone and augmented by a backup that really isn’t capable of anything beyond spelling a starter for a short period of time. It's a shame for him personally that he's had an overall solid season to date and been marred by the team in front of him before he falls apart.

Note: above average to good not valid in the playoffs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jarry's problem isn't so much not being good as just constantly getting injured. When he's healthy he's good.

Ned being good has been a surprise, but not an unwelcome one.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

reminder that most of PAS was melting down about how Jarry was below league average and completely finished at the beginning of November

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
PWHL YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/live/aKMWI-8Tl_8?feature=shared

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

reminder that most of PAS was melting down about how Jarry was below league average and completely finished at the beginning of November

yeah it turned out he was hurt, what a surprise.

Modern goaltenders are like pitchers, a goalie that's able to play for 15 years without being derailed by injuries is a rare animal. The great majority of goalies get hurt a lot. The position as it's played now is ridiculously strenuous on your body. Like pitching, you're not merely doing hyper-athletic things, you're repeatedly contorting your body in ways not included in the spec. Jarry hasn''t gone like 3 straight months without an injury serious enough to make him suck in years. He's 28 now so odds are he never will.

We hockey fans are quick to ascribe a goalie suddenly sucking to psychology, but I think most often it's injury. Of course injury -> lots of goals allowed -> ruined confidence is definitely a chain reaction that happens. Goalies pick up "minor" (read: would keep you or me barely able to function in our desk jobs for several weeks) injuries but they want to play and the coach doesn't want to play the backup, so they try to play through them when it would probably be better to IR them until they're healed. But goalies really really hate not playing and believe it makes them play worse (see: placebo effect). It's a thorny problem.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 1, 2024

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Owns that Jarry would probably make Team Canada for the next olympics with like Carter Hart or Adin Hill lol

Also:

https://x.com/br_openice/status/1741643846646128690?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So that's the play NCN posted about up at the top of this page. Yeah there were no Lightning guys in the vicinity so the ref must have yelled at the goalie to play the puck, but Tampa's guys were already skating off and didn't hear it or pay attention. Still--the play isn't over unless you hear the whistle!

Unusual not to just blow the whistle in that particular situation though. Maybe the refs were pissed off at Cooper for some reason I dunno.

e: 8 minutes left in the period so I assume they had just resumed after the TV ad stoppage. Probably why the ref was slower with the whistle and wanted to just play on.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

No I said Jarry sucks poo poo at stopping high danger opportunities. Which he does. What's changed from the start of the season to now is Jarry started saving the mid dangers at an above NHL average rate and slightly improved his very bad high danger sv% to still lower 1/3rd of the league but closer to league average.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Should we do a 2024 thread or...?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

So that's the play NCN posted about up at the top of this page. Yeah there were no Lightning guys in the vicinity so the ref must have yelled at the goalie to play the puck, but Tampa's guys were already skating off and didn't hear it or pay attention. Still--the play isn't over unless you hear the whistle!

Unusual not to just blow the whistle in that particular situation though. Maybe the refs were pissed off at Cooper for some reason I dunno.

e: 8 minutes left in the period so I assume they had just resumed after the TV ad stoppage. Probably why the ref was slower with the whistle and wanted to just play on.

Yeah, I love that they didn’t blow it down there, it was easily playable and the slow whistle makes me smile. Better yet because if any of the blue sweaters had even half heartedly skated at the goal it would have been a whistle.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Linesman quit playing too and were skating to the bench. Cowardly refs told the habs to play and then couldn’t back out of it. (He waves them on when they all look at him to see if the play stopped). Didn’t help that the DJ played a song with a sharp sound immediately.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
This was, however, the slight that made tampa actually care about a hockey game for the first time this year and come back and win. So like cool, I guess.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

fawning deference posted:

Should we do a 2024 thread or...?

Its time for a November thread.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

It's funny that the refs gave Montreal a freebee and Montreal still lost.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I’m watching this game today and hope for the best for this league but scheduling the inaugural game against the Winter Classic was…perhaps not the best choice.

The WC doesn’t start until 3pm, but the PWHL is doing all sorts of inaugural pomp and ceremony so the game probably won’t start until 1p. Maybe it’ll go quick.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I’m glad that the PWHL is following the NHL’s lead in being completely unable to drop the puck at the scheduled time

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Eh, it’s game 1.

The game should end just about when the winter classic starts.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Nearly five minutes without a whistle to open it, so making good time so far

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m watching this game today and hope for the best for this league but scheduling the inaugural game against the Winter Classic was…perhaps not the best choice.

The WC doesn’t start until 3pm, but the PWHL is doing all sorts of inaugural pomp and ceremony so the game probably won’t start until 1p. Maybe it’ll go quick.

It's ok the Winter Classic will probably get out watched by the footy anyways.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, I take back my complaint. The game is moving along at a good pace and serves as a great lead-in to the Winter Classic.

Also - surprised at the amount of hitting I’m seeing! I’m guessing that while it’s still technically against the rules, the refs have been instructed to not call a penalty unless it’s a full-on Jacob Trouba monster hit. Which is the right call!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, I take back my complaint. The game is moving along at a good pace and serves as a great lead-in to the Winter Classic.

Also - surprised at the amount of hitting I’m seeing! I’m guessing that while it’s still technically against the rules, the refs have been instructed to not call a penalty unless it’s a full-on Jacob Trouba monster hit. Which is the right call!

I haven't seen anything that's actual checking. This is a similar amount of competitive contact you see in the NCAA women's game where they're playing for body position but not lining each other up. It's really enjoyable hockey and these goalies have been really good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Created a thread for the PWHL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050897&perpage=40&noseen=1#post536881809

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's funny that the refs gave Montreal a freebee and Montreal still lost.

As a Habs fan who wants them to continue the rebuild this is the best possible outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://x.com/sighsamuel/status/1741896283840029001?s=20