Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

withak posted:

I like slotted because my hobby is making all of my own fasteners using only hand tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

the yeti posted:

Slotted I especially cannot fathom the amount of brain worms it would take to think it’s good.
They look really good. I once had to take all the sheet metal off an old American crane. Just a stupid amount of big slotted screws. Most painted over.

I never thought I'd get upset with fasteners but then I went to fix my $10 walmart toaster and found it using triangle security screws to keep the plastic shell on. Not just triangle screws, security screws with the pin I had no idea they even made them.

All it needed was to bend the spring contact back and done but walmart needs you to throw the things away every couple months.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The only good thing about slotted screws is you can use a coin, finger nail or flat piece of something to tighten or loosen in a pinch.
Otherwise gently caress that poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Slotted is the loving worst. Phillips a close second which is why they're two of the most common in existence.

Old houses in the States have so many slotted fasteners it drives my nuts. You can't start a slotted screw on a hard surface without stabbing the surface with the screwdriver at least 2-3 times.

I'm a huge fan of torx, square is cool too. Absolute favorites.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Square drive is just the best. If torx stayed on the driver like square head does I would be fine with them too. It also takes like 2 drops of paint to make torx frustratingly unusable.

I will never understand why it takes three different screwdrivers to do any sort of electrical work.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Verman posted:

Old houses in the States have so many slotted fasteners it drives my nuts. You can't start a slotted screw on a hard surface without stabbing the surface with the screwdriver at least 2-3 times.

Skill issue :shrug:

Slotted fasteners can be driven with more torque than Phillips, are most resistant to the effects of paint/dirt/corrosion, and are the screw type of choice for aesthetic purposes.

All drive types are good at something, no drive type is good at everything

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Slotted is not better at anything you take that back.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I’ll die on a pile of T-25 torx.

Best ever.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

mds2 posted:

I’ll die on a pile of T-25 torx.

Best ever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Top G posted:

Skill issue :shrug:

Slotted fasteners can be driven with more torque than Phillips, are most resistant to the effects of paint/dirt/corrosion, and are the screw type of choice for aesthetic purposes.

All drive types are good at something, no drive type is good at everything

You have 2 minutes left to be able to post in this year California time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Slotted is good for poo poo like battery covers on toys because you can open it with any random bit of junk on your desk. Terrible for anything else, though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I don’t buy screws unless they’re Torx these days. I’ve stripped so many less of those than Philips. And stabbed my guide hand 0 times with my drill vs slotted.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Square drive is just the best. If torx stayed on the driver like square head does I would be fine with them too. It also takes like 2 drops of paint to make torx frustratingly unusable.

I will never understand why it takes three different screwdrivers to do any sort of electrical work.

Square drive to rule them all. The worst part about it is that it PREDATES Philips drive, so we could have been using this all along if we weren't idiots.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Phillips was a loving sick son-of-a-bitch

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I got the Wera laser cut screwdrivers for Christmas, and although I had my doubts, they are legit. They're light, comfortable to hold, and really do absolutely lock into screws.

My only complaint is the six piece set comes with a plastic wall rack that has holes for 7 screwdrivers, and it's driving me insane.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Torx and square are 1a and 1b.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Slugworth posted:

I got the Wera laser cut screwdrivers for Christmas, and although I had my doubts, they are legit. They're light, comfortable to hold, and really do absolutely lock into screws.

My only complaint is the six piece set comes with a plastic wall rack that has holes for 7 screwdrivers, and it's driving me insane.

Got the same thing. Now I need to get more to complete my collection.

I was equally skeptical, but drat if they don't work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

You are supposed to buy seven sets.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Slugworth posted:

The one true answer... the etched tip makes me not despise slotted screws as much as I used to. Still hate slotted screws though and wish Henry Ford hadn't been too loving cheap to pay licensing costs for Robertson's square drive. Because of one miser's bad decision, the free Phillips design became ubiquitous, leaving a lovely wake of stripped out screws we will never be free from

That's interesting your Wera screwdriver rack has 7 holes... for the older insulated set, the 7th screwdriver was a voltage tester. But, it looks like the newer version of the set doesn't come with that anymore

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Finally had a chance to use my new router, can confirm the DeWalt 618 plunge base dust collection is fantastic. I was using the Oneida dust collection plate on my Hitachi, but this does just as well, and out of the box as well as more streamlined. Handled probably 98% of everything from the 1/4" roundover. Not particularly challenging, but nice to see it could collect side profile chips without a problem.

I really wanted to get a 621 since I was just looking for a dedicated plunge base and like the handle mounted controls/swivel dust port, but finding one at a decent price was a little more challenging.

*edit* Also needed to go pick up a couple clamps from Harbor Freight (great use of the 25% off coupon today, even if I didn't splurge on the Bremen parallels), is anyone else as impressed with the new Hercules jobsite saw as I am? No idea how things are internally, but externally it felt every bit as solid and smooth as the DeWalt options. Was shocked to see metal rack and pinion fence adjustment on both sides, couldn't pick up any slop on the backside of the fence. Especially compared to how cheap the similar Metabo fence adjustment was this seemed much more on par with DeWalt. Of course, adjustments and holding alignment mean a lot more than anything but still, was pretty taken aback.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-10-in-compact-jobsite-table-saw-with-rack-and-pinion-fence-57673.html

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 1, 2024

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I can't in good conscience use anything but slotted screws to install hinges etc. on actual wood furniture. Anything just doesn't look right.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
:same:

Shop furniture gets t-25 though

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Just Winging It posted:

I can't in good conscience use anything but slotted screws to install hinges etc. on actual wood furniture. Anything just doesn't look right.

only cowards don't use torx screws on their door hinges

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Slotted is, without question, the superiorest option.

But only because everything else is a reminder that every half hour another jackass makes a polygon and thinks they deserve a patent.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there some secret to dust extraction that I've missed? I got an extractor with a 100mm hose and a few adapters that came with it. I've got three static things needing extraction:

- Belt/disc sander (63mm OD port)
- Bandsaw (53mm OD port)
- Table saw (don't know, didn't measure, it just happened to fit an included adapter)

I got an Axminster adapter that I managed to cut to fit the 63mm sander port, but I've not been able to find anything to fit the 53mm bandsaw port. All my googling seems to turn up loads of adapters, none of which fit 53mm.

Is there some sort of flexible material that is commonly used? I got hold of a 100-115mm adjustable rubber cuff (I think it's used for guttering) that I can use to link stuff but again I've not found them in sizes anywhere near what I want. What do folks normally do?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Confession: I have, for my entire adult life, cheaped along on corded drills. Justifications have included apartment dwelling, the merits of frugality, infrequent use (self-fulfilling due to the joyless experience of using a cheap corded drill), "well it's more powerful," "a screwdriver works just fine," and so on. My current corded drill doesn't even have a clutch.

Now that I live in a house and have Projects(TM) on the mind, I finally picked up a Dewalt cordless drill/impact driver pair ($50 off at Lowes right now FWIW). Friends, I now have seen the light. In one day I've unfucked a sagging exterior door and mounted several things to the wall that I've been putting off for ages. Next up: garage storage. It's all just so quick and easy!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Discussion Quorum posted:

Confession: I have, for my entire adult life, cheaped along on corded drills. Justifications have included apartment dwelling, the merits of frugality, infrequent use (self-fulfilling due to the joyless experience of using a cheap corded drill), "well it's more powerful," "a screwdriver works just fine," and so on. My current corded drill doesn't even have a clutch.

Now that I live in a house and have Projects(TM) on the mind, I finally picked up a Dewalt cordless drill/impact driver pair ($50 off at Lowes right now FWIW). Friends, I now have seen the light. In one day I've unfucked a sagging exterior door and mounted several things to the wall that I've been putting off for ages. Next up: garage storage. It's all just so quick and easy!

It begins.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jenkl posted:

It begins.

This

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yep. I did basically that too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My excuse was that NiCad sucked for infrequent use. Was it/is it possible to buy corded drills with the same features as cordless drills? The corded drill I have was plenty powerful, but only had one speed: maximum. I stripped out so many screws with that thing because I couldn't go slowly with it.

My dad called me recently about the most amazing purchase he made and now he was going to make sure I got it in his will: a Milwaukee M18 cordless inflator. He's in love with that thing. It may have already paid for itself on fuel savings from properly inflated tires for all the vehicles and trailers he hauls around his property.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there some secret to dust extraction that I've missed? I got an extractor with a 100mm hose and a few adapters that came with it. I've got three static things needing extraction:

- Bandsaw (53mm OD port)
- Table saw (don't know, didn't measure, it just happened to fit an included adapter)

I got an Axminster adapter that I managed to cut to fit the 63mm sander port, but I've not been able to find anything to fit the 53mm bandsaw port. All my googling seems to turn up loads of adapters, none of which fit 53mm.

Is there some sort of flexible material that is commonly used? I got hold of a 100-115mm adjustable rubber cuff (I think it's used for guttering) that I can use to link stuff but again I've not found them in sizes anywhere near what I want. What do folks normally do?

I found the following:

Axminster 99mm to 75mm adaptor
Fernco AC894 75mm to 53mm drainage pipe adaptor coupling

So having to use three separate couplings to connect the hose to one machine. The problem is the adaptor coupling seems to only be available from places that cater to builders whom I presume would be ordering massive amounts, because delivery ends up costing 3x what the product does...

I'm not looking for folks to tell me what specific bits to use, just if there's a way people approach this problem that I'm unaware of.

FISHMANPET posted:

My dad called me recently about the most amazing purchase he made and now he was going to make sure I got it in his will: a Milwaukee M18 cordless inflator. He's in love with that thing.

I got the Makita one of those and for how cheap it is it's very useful. Especially given my car starts complaining about tyre pressure once it drops below like 1 PSI below the preferred value, and most forecourt inflators don't loving work here.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 3, 2024

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I've definitely used the cut off mouth of a sports drink bottle and a generous amount of tape.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

- Bandsaw (53mm OD port)

A 3D printer.

Other options are the aforementioned cut-down plastic drink/yoghurt/whatever container, and fernco couplers or whatever your local equivalent is:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

My excuse was that NiCad sucked for infrequent use. Was it/is it possible to buy corded drills with the same features as cordless drills?

Is it now? Not really. Development on corded tools which are adequately powered by Lithium Ion batteries stopped dead. Or if it is, it's going to be hard to find. There are only a couple of tools where I would still want corded options and even then it's a dwindling number. And pretty much the only reason I want them is because I don't own any large sized batteries and for example my leaf blower can't blow off my driveway/porch/etc in a single charge of a 2Ah battery, if I owned a 4Ah it would get me through just fine.

If I worked construction and was drilling holes in concrete all day long I probably would prefer a corded SDS rotary hammer partially due to weight reduction? But even then, I would just be mad if the site didn't provide adequate batteries.

https://www.lincolnrent-all.com/product/large-rotary-hammer-drill/

With tools in the price range of Ryobi "Factory Blemished" and even just Dewalt/Milwaukee sales can get you started with a medium-low amount of effort to get a couple of batteries and chargers. Home gamers just don't need much, I can think of two times ever my 2Ah battery croaked out on me mid-job, over-wiring my garage and needing to drill a LOT of 1.5" holes. Even then, I could recharge it to 75% by the time my next 2Ah battery croaked on me. After that I just did some wiring until they both charged up completely.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Since posting I've seen some examples of folks doing this on another forum, I'm not above figuring out how to do the relevant designs so I'll take this as my answer, thanks.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

and fernco couplers or whatever your local equivalent is:

I've got one of them already, but they seem hard to get hold of here and prohibitively expensive when delivery is included. Some of them are sold in brick & mortar stores (where I got my 100mm coupler) but those only really sell that size and larger. Otherwise they seem like the ideal solution.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems close enough to 2" that you might be better searching that, and I think 2 1/4" OD stuff might have 2" internal (or close enough that you could sand it to match.) Or just looking for another 2" OD hose and using a coupler. Something like this: https://www.rockler.com/4-to-2-hose-reducer-od with a 2" silicone hose connector and hose clamps.

Or, they don't list an ID on this, but it may be close enough work fitting over the port: https://www.rockler.com/4-to-2-1-4-hose-reducer-od

I also found this while browsing around: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...fhoCvngQAvD_BwE

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

H110Hawk posted:

Is it now? Not really. Development on corded tools which are adequately powered by Lithium Ion batteries stopped dead.
The phrase I'll always keep repeating is "We are in a luxury power tool future". It's a wonderful time to be alive in that regard.

I think maybe some people have said corded for circular saws, maybe, depending on what you're doing? But as Hawk said it's a small selection of tools that you need to go cordless, and even then, it's for specific use cases a lot of the time (i.e. in a work or extended/heavy use environment, or the rare power tool where they still quite aren't there in "oomph".)

Gotta say I'm not even that mad about the gas powered yard tool ban in California.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Holy gently caress.

Does makita make an 18v power plane???

:pray:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

BeAuMaN posted:

the rare power tool where they still quite aren't there in "oomph"

The last time I experienced that was with a Dremel, of all things. Entirely possible that the cordless model I had was Ni-something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

Holy gently caress.

Does makita make an 18v power plane???

:pray:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XPK01Z

I own it, used it several times. Been very handy in a few instances, mostly for shaving things down to fit. I tried using it to flatten a 2x4 bench and it did not work very well. May have been user error.