Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

ephori posted:

I think the other thing that stood out was Skyrim was made by a company of 110 people of whom the majority had 10+ years of tenure. Starfield was made by a company of 500 people with a significant percentage being new to the industry.

I think that's why a whole bunch of us are pissed off - you could have made a new Morrowind, but you made this thing because you patently had no management oversight on anything. You totally didn't listen to any artists in the company and whoever did the over arching story was on coke.

We expected more because your previous games made us so happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If you give people on the internet a random poll they don't really care about, they will always try to pick the funniest option, in what scientists are calling the "Boaty McBoatface phenomenon".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
TBF, they didn't say the innovation has to be good, just novel. The game does make some contributions to fields of bad leveling systems and new ways of having pointless NG+.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think maybe the ship interior generation is genuinely innovative?

It doesn’t work well but I can’t think of any other space games that have something like it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite starfield outpost I made was the one where the airlocks glitched out to be always open so I didn't have to wait for that animation every time

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't know if I'd give them an award for it, but the NG+ high jinks in this game are pretty good.

There are 10 possible different universes you can reappear in after going through the unity.

My guess is that the "award" has something to do with the character skill trees or the outpost stuff.
But they're just watered down versions of better systems.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I never tried making an outpost because it seemed pointless and turns out it was

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I never tried making an outpost because it seemed pointless and turns out it was

You can just buy weapons, gear, and ships that are instantly better than what you can find and modify.
It's like spending all your time improving gear in an MMO only to show up in the expansion and the first vendor has a green item better than anything in the best raid from the pre-expansion content.
It's not like Fallout 4 where it made sense to upgrade your gear at your settlement.

It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the game, but it just feels like they wasted all the resources they put into it.
The first time a cargo ship landed in my outpost, it was pretty cool and I enjoy looking at other people's outposts. But there's nothing in the outpost system I can see that'd be as satisfying as building a tree house in Sanctuary or realizing I could connect Graygarden to the highway overpass and those two things were possible before they even patched the settlement system.

At minimum, they need to add a way to block specific resources from being sent to other outposts so you can get things where they need to go without the infinite loop that currently happens.
Some IT person needs to explain how spanning tree protocol works to them. (Actually having the game assign a primary outpost for you based on links you've already set up would be a feature I wouldn't hate as long as I could override it).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 2, 2024

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be nice to have a list of outposts and be able to click one to fast travel to it instead of squinting at the giant map to find the weird symbol and then click into the system to find the planet with the symbol and then click the planet and find the symbol by rotating the planet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

moist turtleneck posted:

It'd be nice to have a list of outposts and be able to click one to fast travel to it instead of squinting at the giant map to find the weird symbol and then click into the system to find the planet with the symbol and then click the planet and find the symbol by rotating the planet

Navigating the galaxy map in general is a disaster.

Right before I quit playing I decided to make a cool ship, and googling told me the cool type C hull was on Neon. OK, fine, let’s go to neon. I’d done a ton of quests there, was pretty familiar with it. Just pop open the map and fast travel right?

Wrong. I’d never gone the without a quest marker and couldn’t remember what the system name was. Worse there was no in-game way to figure that out. Literally had to alt tab and google a wiki. To fast travel to one of the three biggest settlements in the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just put a "have all modules available at your outpost shipyard" and felt no guilt about it (along with mods for "auto-increment all the dragon shouts every NG+ iteration" and unfucking the level scaling to make it actually feasible to get to high levels with normal play and not going to some random planet to shoot bugs for hours)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think Starfield having a team of 500 is the problem. Yes the game feels like it was made by 5-6 separate teams who just beavered away at their own part without talking to the others and as a result nothing is contingent on anything else. But the core problem is that none of the game mechanics have really changed from Fallout 4, and that's very specifically a Todd Howard problem. The 400 new people were not the ones coasting on decade old success, nor were they the senior designers making the key decisions.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

moist turtleneck posted:

My favorite starfield outpost I made was the one where the airlocks glitched out to be always open so I didn't have to wait for that animation every time

It would have been faster to have a load screen! :unsmigghh:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

isndl posted:

It would have been faster to have a load screen! :unsmigghh:

That's been true ever since the Mass Effect elevators, but for some reason, people value seemless over actually convenient.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hel posted:

That's been true ever since the Mass Effect elevators, but for some reason, people value seemless over actually convenient.

vestigial memory of when game loading screens were like 3 minutes

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Soul Reaver being hailed as astoundingly innovative because it had none. Soul Reaver rules, though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To me it's less about the loading of another cell and more about how you do it. I've never, ever cared that the Census and Excise office in Seyda Neen is a separate cell, because I walk up to the door and hit the use key. That's not what fast traveling from a world map feels like. An even jore telling example might be the fast travel options in Morrowind.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It amazes me how much of a step back base building is in this, the game hypothetically all about building bases on alien worlds.

Yeah, it's really hosed up and makes no sense. Building on top of one of the ubiquitous gas vents makes the gas vent into your hab module, which is so ridiculous I didn't consider it possible.

Jumping through all the hoops to be able to build the stuff for your bases makes it so by the time you've levelled it all up, you are done building. I suppose the idea is to build bases all over the universe for some reason but there isn't any actual reason to do that. It has to be left over from some original idea about needing bases and fuel along your deep space exploration routes, is my guess.

I wish the map of the stars were easier to navigate, like allowing me to plot a course and then start along it instead of it resetting the line to terminate at whichever star I can currently get to on my way to someplace way far away, and I'm supposed to have somehow memorized the route the game chose when I clicked on wherever.

As for me, I suck at piloting the space ships in combat, just the worst possible person for that gameplay and I don't play those kinds of games because I recognize my limitations (I don't play any flight or driving games). This game, then, forces my dumb rear end into space dogfights where I am loving frustrated and pissed off. The first mission where you have to disable the guy's ship was really hard for me, I died numerous times on what was obviously a child's play version of space combat, supposed to introduce the player to the basic mechanics. I can't stand it, and the final planet is sitting behind a space dogfight against the two dumbass starborn and it's like...will I ever go back to that and get to play NG+? I wonder. I went back to join the UC and access the flight simulator torture machine to try and level up my "skill" and while I qualified it's like pulling teeth for me to spend the time doing that in order to get the ship fighting to be (hopefully) easier. I'd look into building a better ship but the ship building is wretched, imo. It just doesn't make sense to me in the way I would expect a building program would, the whole interface seems whack.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E oop old post

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Alchenar posted:

I don't think Starfield having a team of 500 is the problem. Yes the game feels like it was made by 5-6 separate teams who just beavered away at their own part without talking to the others and as a result nothing is contingent on anything else. But the core problem is that none of the game mechanics have really changed from Fallout 4, and that's very specifically a Todd Howard problem. The 400 new people were not the ones coasting on decade old success, nor were they the senior designers making the key decisions.

400 people paid at anything like tech level is £40 million a year, that's a lot of cash.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I think the gameplay reasons are for farming amp and a couple resource requests from shipyards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Barometer posted:

I wish the map of the stars were easier to navigate, like allowing me to plot a course and then start along it instead of it resetting the line to terminate at whichever star I can currently get to on my way to someplace way far away, and I'm supposed to have somehow memorized the route the game chose when I clicked on wherever.

The real fun here is there's some entirely bizarre route calculation going on and picking an intermediate stop indicated along a red line route doesn't necessarily mean you can jump from there to your destination, because the game can decide that there's no direct route between those points anymore and route you through another set of systems that again requires more jump fuel than you have available.

There's no obvious reason why this happens and if it's tied to some vestigial travel mechanic it's entirely opaque to the player.

There's so many of these weird things that crop up it's hard to tell if they just didn't do play testing, or ignored the results of the play testing, or the play testing was just entirely focused on some other subset of the game.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 2, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the funny thing is I never played Fallout 4 until now, and all the people saying "At least the Starfield loading screens are pretty fast" suddenly make a lot more sense

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

infernal machines posted:

The real fun here is there's some entirely bizarre route calculation going on and picking an intermediate stop indicated along a red line route doesn't necessarily mean you can jump from there to your destination, because the game can decide that there's no direct route between those points anymore and route you through another set of systems that again requires more jump fuel than you have available.

Ah, well good to know I wasn't just losing my mind when that seemed to be the case.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

There's no obvious reason why this happens and if it's tied to some vestigial travel mechanic it's entirely opaque to the player.

That's one of their award-winning brain breaking surprises.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Barometer posted:

I can't stand it, and the final planet is sitting behind a space dogfight against the two dumbass starborn and it's like...will I ever go back to that and get to play NG+? I wonder. I went back to join the UC and access the flight simulator torture machine to try and level up my "skill" and while I qualified it's like pulling teeth for me to spend the time doing that in order to get the ship fighting to be (hopefully) easier.

By the end I had the game set on Very Hard for everything and just cranked it back to Very Easy for that one required ship fight-- I even checked to see if you could pre-drop a base to avoid it but of course "fast travel is disabled" to that one planet during that step of that quest.

Dogfighting feels like a combination of raw numbers and luck. I'd be more inclined to think there's more skill than I'm giving it credit for, but the game will literally make your missiles worthless on some prebuilt NPC ship types because "where it's locked on to" isn't actually a place that can be hit, so I'm not going to give their space fight designers any benefit of any doubt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

space uncle posted:

I like the branching storylines and power fantasy of Escape Velocity Nova.

God, I was getting such good EV:N vibes from the early game in Starfield, too. But even then it would've been better if they'd made the first artifact something you truly stumbled across at random, instead of it being the first thing that happens to you. Nope, can't even just be a space trucker, the macguffin has to get you immediately.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I guess I was wrong.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Dumb things with ship combat:
- you can build a ring-shaped spaceship, enemies always target the geometric centre of your ship so if its ring-shaped they will always miss
- power to the Missiles system only affects reloading speed, so you can put one power in missiles, fire off your salvo, then move that power to engines or whatever
- one of the weapon types (particle beams maybe?) is ridiculously stronger than all of the others, so if you’ve got anything else in your load out you’re gimping yourself

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

By the end I had the game set on Very Hard for everything and just cranked it back to Very Easy for that one required ship fight-- I even checked to see if you could pre-drop a base to avoid it but of course "fast travel is disabled" to that one planet during that step of that quest.

I didn't even consider the difficulty setting, I think I'll do that and see if my sorry rear end can beat them on the easiest setting, thanks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

Dumb things with ship combat:
- you can build a ring-shaped spaceship, enemies always target the geometric centre of your ship so if its ring-shaped they will always miss
- power to the Missiles system only affects reloading speed, so you can put one power in missiles, fire off your salvo, then move that power to engines or whatever
- one of the weapon types (particle beams maybe?) is ridiculously stronger than all of the others, so if you’ve got anything else in your load out you’re gimping yourself

Particle Beams and Missiles are absolutely the GOAT, assuming as mentioned your missiles can actually hit, yeah.

Gaming the NPC AI is an option if you don't mind your ship looking like rear end, but the number of times you're under focused fire from 3-or-more enemies is so infrequent that building my ship to look like intentional rear end for the sole purpose of those fights felt less than worthwhile

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Megazver posted:

congrats starfieldies

I just see a migraine aura

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you could just not abuse exploits.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

you could just not abuse exploits.

That sounds like loser nerd poo poo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

so starfield is steam's winner of most innovative gameplay for 2023 hey? lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

toggle posted:

Innovation in loading screens

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Palladium posted:

Innovation in loading screens

Planescape:Torment beat them to it by decades!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Barometer posted:

Ah, well good to know I wasn't just losing my mind when that seemed to be the case.

Yeah just slap the big warp engine and drive on all your ships so you can forget about it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toggle posted:

Ladies and gentlemen--were bringing back triangle for jump [deafening applause]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

10 hours in, and I am glad I didn't preorder this.

Who is the genius who decided that Spacers=Raiders? This isn't Spacers choice. Also, the running animation is "great", until I realize that's what my character looks like for the 5 seconds before their suit runs out of O2.