Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds? Set in a far future Africa. It's not mil-scifi, but if you like it, I think it's the start of a trilogy. I only read the first one but I thought it was pretty interesting, not a setting I've seen often in scifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm never going to not recommend The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Selachian posted:

Maybe you'd like Charles Saunders's Imaro books? They're African-based fantasy by an African-American author.

Imaro is fantastic and some of the short stories are ballbustingly funny. Do recommend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fivemarks posted:

I need some help. I've stopped enjoying things I used to enjoy because I can't find enjoyment in them anymore. Manga and anime aren't doing it for me anymore, Mecha Anime is almost never what I want and it's not the kind of thing that people who look like me get to show up in (Read: Black), except maybe Obsolete. I'm tired of kid heroes and falling into cockpit and Military "Geniuses" who's biggest power is the plot and maybe landslides. LOGH is too politically conservative for me.

So I try to get into Military sci-fi and Fiction in general to scratch that itch, and it works for a start. I like Team Yankee and Mission of Honor Retold and David Drake's stuff, but when I try to read other Mil sci-fi I just slide off of it. I'm tired of one sided power stomps, I'm tired of the English and Space English. I'm tired of Mil Sci-fi being fashy as gently caress.

Basically, I'm looking for books that don't exist.

'Starbook' by Ben Okri is probably not like anything you've read so far.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I'm late to the party but here are some books I read this year:

Origin Complex (Steel Frame #2) by Andrew Skinner - I loved Steel Frame and this was a decent follow up. Not a lot of mechs until later in the book but I'm a fan of the world that's created. Plenty of weird comic horror lurking in space. If you liked the first book this is worth a read.

Redliners by David Drake - I should have read this way sooner. It was on my shelf for at least a year because I saw the recs here and grabbed it on sale. The cover makes it looks like a cheesy 80's Space Rambo. It is definitely not that. Soldiers pushed to their mental and physical limits are taken off the front lines of a space war to guard colonists on an uninhabited jungle planet. You can feel the Vietnam analogues throughout. There are more David Drake books in my future.

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi - Corporations are fighting wars over water rights in the Western US while the average citizen dies of thirst. It was really grim. The characters have a lot of pain heaped on them and it keeps coming. A bit too much for me by the end but a big part of that is how prescient it feels. This could be Las Vegas and Phoenix in a generation.

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner - I definitely shouldn't have read this right after The Water Knife. Originally published in 1972, it's set in a dystopian future that's all too possible. Corporations have poisoned the environment but life chugs along. Water is poison, the air is almost unbreathable, synthetic food is standard as crops fail, diseases are commonplace. What got me was that people are still living their lives. This wasn't a quick disaster. It happened gradually and people adapted and made it normal. It feels a bit dated but also prophetic. The chapters are news stories, short scenes, and commercials that paint a picture. We do follow a cast of characters but you have to fill in some blanks yourself.

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - Surprised I haven't heard of this talked about here. It's 1939 and the Germans have created the X-Men with some help from science. These special soldiers have wires hooked to their brains and get strapped up with battery packs to enhance their abilities. The British answer to this is to hire warlocks to press some elder gods into their service. Of course, gods are paid in blood. The characters are decent but I'm here for the supermen vs cosmic unknown. Book one of a trilogy. I'll check out the next one for sure.

36 Streets by T.R. Napper- Cyberpunk murder mystery set in close-future Vietnam. A big part of the plot revolves around a highly addictive VR game and I was worried this would take place mostly in cyberspace. Thankfully there only a chapter or two in game and it works well. It's a good story following the main character but there's also a larger geopolitical story that was built well. I don't know much about Vietnam so I was really interested in learning more after I finished this.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky- Another book I should have read sooner. There's enough said about this that I don't have much to add. I'm not a huge fan of spiders but I look at them a little differently now. I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian- Aubrey and Maturin #3 is not sci-fi or fantasy but I love these so far. I wish they would get on the ship sooner but it pays off in the end. I've googled sooooo many images of sailing ships to figure out all of the terms.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I was talking with my D&D players, who are young folks (teens and early college years) who have all become bigtime readers over the last couple years, and one of them raised a question about genre fiction I was surprised I couldn't answer: since so much modern SF/F is now being written by millenials who grew up on the internet, why aren't we seeing furry fandom / anthro novels outside of urban fantasy "pounded in the butt by a werepanther" stuff? This seems like such a slam-dunk, the furry market is big and spends money like crazy, and all it demands is that your otherwise-normal fantasy races be foxes, wolves, and lizards instead of whatever you've pulled from Tolkien / the Player's Handbook. Alternatively, am I completely wrong? Is this already a thing that I've just missed somehow?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kestral posted:

I was talking with my D&D players, who are young folks (teens and early college years) who have all become bigtime readers over the last couple years, and one of them raised a question about genre fiction I was surprised I couldn't answer: since so much modern SF/F is now being written by millenials who grew up on the internet, why aren't we seeing furry fandom / anthro novels outside of urban fantasy "pounded in the butt by a werepanther" stuff? This seems like such a slam-dunk, the furry market is big and spends money like crazy, and all it demands is that your otherwise-normal fantasy races be foxes, wolves, and lizards instead of whatever you've pulled from Tolkien / the Player's Handbook. Alternatively, am I completely wrong? Is this already a thing that I've just missed somehow?
I don't know about that but about there are probably going to be more sf/f books with anthropomorphic animals as kids who read stuff like warrior cats and wings of fire get older

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doobie Keebler posted:

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner - I definitely shouldn't have read this right after The Water Knife. Originally published in 1972, it's set in a dystopian future that's all too possible. Corporations have poisoned the environment but life chugs along. Water is poison, the air is almost unbreathable, synthetic food is standard as crops fail, diseases are commonplace. What got me was that people are still living their lives. This wasn't a quick disaster. It happened gradually and people adapted and made it normal. It feels a bit dated but also prophetic. The chapters are news stories, short scenes, and commercials that paint a picture. We do follow a cast of characters but you have to fill in some blanks yourself.

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian- Aubrey and Maturin #3 is not sci-fi or fantasy but I love these so far. I wish they would get on the ship sooner but it pays off in the end. I've googled sooooo many images of sailing ships to figure out all of the terms.

Drake was awesome, he wrote so much good stuff. Take a whack at The Warrior and Rolling Hot soon-ish, it's him at the top of his form.

If you thought The Sheep Look Up was bleakly prescient, check out Stand On Zanzibar. Put it this way, the most desirable consumer item is a TV that will make the family on-screen just like yours. It has a kinda happy ending.

Try your hand at commanding a 38-gun frigate, with full control over the sails. Free and fun. https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

Kestral posted:

This seems like such a slam-dunk, the furry market is big and spends money like crazy, and all it demands is that your otherwise-normal fantasy races be foxes, wolves, and lizards instead of whatever you've pulled from Tolkien / the Player's Handbook. Alternatively, am I completely wrong? Is this already a thing that I've just missed somehow?

There's some. Yoon-Ha Lee's YA series is all about animal spirits who can appear human when they want. There are three books in the series, and they're pretty darn good. A fun twist is he's using Korean mythology, which you don't see very much of in English-language SF.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Pearl-Yoon-Ha-Lee-ebook/dp/B07D9WRHNH/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kestral posted:

Sounds like Becky Chambers, where the lizard alien and the mammal alien gently caress. I think.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mystes posted:

I don't know about that but about there are probably going to be more sf/f books with anthropomorphic animals as kids who read stuff like warrior cats and wings of fire get older

There's already a lot out there, but in my experience it's overwhelmingly small indie press stuff, self-published, or web serials (which I guess is just a different format of self-publication). I'm not even sure Yoon Ha Lee's YA books count here because they're more shapeshifty than anthro/furry. Bard Bloom was writing in this space for ages but as far as I know all of its books were small-press or self-pub. Alex Zandra is self-pub. There's lots on places like Royal Road (of wildly varying length, quality, and state of completion), but it doesn't seem to be something big publishers are willing to touch unless it's "paranormal romance".

Either that or there's a rich vein of traditionally published furry SFF that has completely passed me by somehow despite like 50% of my friends being both furries and into SFF.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kestral posted:

There's not none, but furry stuff is nine times out of ten gonna want to have a big visual component. So they appear in a fair number of indie rpgs and dedicated furry visual novels.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I was told the pitch they were going with was "Gravity's Rainbow meets Marvel's Venom" :psyduck:

That's uh...that's something.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

Don't worry, I like Fantasy too, and had the exact same problems with Fantasy. And everyone was like "no you'll feel represented by these books about Necromancer Lesbians making bone puns" and wouldn't listen when I said I wasn't really down for that.

I liked the Belisarius books, in part, because of characters like Ousanous and the Ethiopians, so that says something about me.
Got it, then how about The Sorceror of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson, a novella about a caravan traveling a dangerous route in fantasy not-Sudan. Beautifully written and does some really interesting things with language and dialect.

I also second the Acacia trilogy someone else mentioned, it's starts out as a variation on Game of Thrones but quickly asks the question, what if the problem isn't that there's a Bad Man as king, but kings in general, and in fact the whole system. And yeah that's pretty common in like YA dystopias and whatnot. But then it asks so wait, how do we move to something at least a little more just without completely wrecking everything, ruining everyone's lives in the process, and founding our glorious utopia on a huge pile of innocent bodies? Very underrated IMO.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Kestral posted:

Step right over here to The Magicians, the critically acclaimed fantasy trilogy by Lev Grossman!

(he's 54 so not only is he not a millennial, he's barely even generation X, but that didn't stop him...)

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Drake was awesome, he wrote so much good stuff. Take a whack at The Warrior and Rolling Hot soon-ish, it's him at the top of his form.

If you thought The Sheep Look Up was bleakly prescient, check out Stand On Zanzibar. Put it this way, the most desirable consumer item is a TV that will make the family on-screen just like yours. It has a kinda happy ending.

Try your hand at commanding a 38-gun frigate, with full control over the sails. Free and fun. https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Pearl-Yoon-Ha-Lee-ebook/dp/B07D9WRHNH/

I'm adding all of this to my lists to check out!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

Furry fandom is very very visual so books don't really work unlike comics and video games. That's where the furry heat is.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Fivemarks posted:

Part of what doesn't help is that whenever I talk about characters and people with agency who look like me, It's never anything about black men, and it's always invariably about Black Women. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a feeling that's hard to put into words.

You might wanna check out Steven Barnes if you haven’t already, a black writer who’s been writing sff since the late 80s. I’ve only read Lion’s Blood which is an afrocentric alt-history and it was pretty good. He’s got TONs of novels, so I’m sure you’d find something of interest

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Re furry SFF, Cherryh's Chanur series should be a must-read. Genuinely alien aliens, much culture shock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Warning: The Magicians has a fairly graphic rape scene.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Warning: The Magicians is a bad trilogy that you shouldn't read. (The TV show is great, though.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

General Battuta posted:

I have an interview in this month's Clarkesworld, posting it here probably counts as self-promo but maybe it's fun. Give it an ogle

I scanned it for a pull quote but couldn't find anything I liked in particular so maybe it's dull. Here's the least fun thing I said

Congrats on that! Also there is an interview with my colleague and fellow veteran of the wars with creationists on talk.origins Caitlin R. Kiernan

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Shnakepup posted:

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds? Set in a far future Africa. It's not mil-scifi, but if you like it, I think it's the start of a trilogy. I only read the first one but I thought it was pretty interesting, not a setting I've seen often in scifi.
I liked this trilogy but the books are weakly connected with some big time jumps and kind of drag in a lot of places.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Congrats on that! Also there is an interview with my colleague and fellow veteran of the wars with creationists on talk.origins Caitlin R. Kiernan

Good for them for getting featured in Clarkesworld, but I feel obligated to ask if Kiernan is still tweeting about the scourge of marxist-leninism in US education, and wokeism, and anti-white CRT racism, and retweeting the head of Britain First, and complaining about how sensitivity readers are "mutilating" books

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't werewolf books be considered furry? No pun intended.

I've seen a LOT of sci Fi werewolves in space books lately. I haven't read them but I'm pretty sure they haven't come up with a good reason for the full moon part of the curse in space where the moons are constantly full.

I've seen some tradpub books with like, tiger aliens hooking up with human women captains of starships and whatnot. Sci Fi can be oddly horny at times.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Good for them for getting featured in Clarkesworld, but I feel obligated to ask if Kiernan is still tweeting about the scourge of marxist-leninism in US education, and wokeism, and anti-white CRT racism, and retweeting the head of Britain First, and complaining about how sensitivity readers are "mutilating" books

IDK That seems to over state what I saw them posting but I don't really social media that closely so it could all be true.

I did think they were awfully aggressively centrist early in the Trump admin but they are currently shook about the state of things and were looking to move to safer environs last I saw

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

IDK That seems to over state what I saw them posting but I don't really social media that closely so it could all be true.

I did think they were awfully aggressively centrist early in the Trump admin but they are currently shook about the state of things and were looking to move to safer environs last I saw

Maybe so, this is the article that I read that made me extremely, depressingly disappointed in Kiernan: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1666159533872349184.html

And re-reading it now, it's worse than I remembered. As a caveat I will say I haven't personally sought out the sourced tweets/blog posts in the thread.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wouldn't werewolf books be considered furry? No pun intended.

I've seen a LOT of sci Fi werewolves in space books lately. I haven't read them but I'm pretty sure they haven't come up with a good reason for the full moon part of the curse in space where the moons are constantly full.

I've seen some tradpub books with like, tiger aliens hooking up with human women captains of starships and whatnot. Sci Fi can be oddly horny at times.

S. Andrew Swann’s “Moreau” books might scratch the furry itch (no pun intended). Future where every country in the world spent 30 years creating human-animal hybrids for use as shock troops till it was made against the Geneva convention. Now “Moreaus” or Moreys are largely 2nd class citizens but widespread in lots of jobs. Protagonist is a Tiger-man whose father is either a hero or terrorist depending on how furry you are who works as kind of a detective. They’re fun, if a bit dated.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Has anyone read anything by Sofia Samatar? Practice, the Horizon, and the Chain was recommended to me by an algorithmic site but I kept going and it also suggested Calypso by Oliver langmead, both to be released in 2024.

I love generation ships gone wrong stuff, Jacob's Ladder by Elizabeth Bear is a favourite. Didn't like the short I've read by langmead previously, it was a bit too lit-sci-fi and trying very hard.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Warning: The Magicians is a bad trilogy that you shouldn't read. (The TV show is great, though.)

Counterpoint: I enjoyed The Magicians trilogy. It's been years since I read them, but I remember that it captured young adult emotions around "I've achieved everything I thought I wanted ... why am I still depressed?" fairly well. No argument about the TV show, though, getting outside of Quentin's viewpoint is definitely an improvement.

While I'm here, here's my top 10 "oops, all fantasy" books from last year, in no particular order. Most were recommended in this thread, so thank you all!

Piranesi, The Spear Cuts Through Water, Vita Nostra, The Singing Hills novellas: You don't need me to tell you how good they are.

Kushiel's Dart: The idea of sex being the solution to problems rather than the cause of them is fun and refreshing. The rest of the series is on my TBR.

Saint Death's Daughter: I talked about it a bit upthread, it's the story of a necromancer growing up in a rich, progressive fantasy world.

The Golden Enclaves: Naomi Novik totally nailed the end of the Scholomance trilogy. I love the plotting in all of her books that I've read.

The Priory of the Orange Tree: This book scratched the same itch as Game of Thrones with the large cast of interesting characters and epic-scale showdowns. And dragons.

One Last Stop: It's a romance with a science-fantasy, stuck-in-time element, so it belongs here :colbert:

Darkdawn: This is the final book of the Nevernight trilogy by Jay Kristoff. I haven't seen it mentioned here so I'll recommend the series. Our antihero is Mia Corvere, an assassin with strange shadow-based powers in an imperial Rome-inspired world, who seeks revenge on the people who killed her family. The books are dark, violent, smutty, have a sense of humor, and come to a worthy, touching conclusion.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

branedotorg posted:

Has anyone read anything by Sofia Samatar? Practice, the Horizon, and the Chain was recommended to me by an algorithmic site but I kept going and it also suggested Calypso by Oliver langmead, both to be released in 2024.

I love generation ships gone wrong stuff, Jacob's Ladder by Elizabeth Bear is a favourite. Didn't like the short I've read by langmead previously, it was a bit too lit-sci-fi and trying very hard.

Samatar is an incredible writer. Tender (her short story collection) and The Winged Histories would both be in the top 10 books I read last year. Thanks for reminding me about her next book. (There's a novelette in Tender with seemingly a similar premise, though I think it was set in an underground colony rather than a ship.)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

My Shark Waifuu posted:

The Golden Enclaves: Naomi Novik totally nailed the end of the Scholomance trilogy. I love the plotting in all of her books that I've read.

Might surprise you to learn that she... doesn't!

Leng posted:

I have started reading the first chapter of a random book that I can't even remember where I got it from but it is titled A Cat's Guide to Bonding with Dragons and it is apparently humorous fantasy written in first person POV of a Bengal cat.

This has been the only book I have finished recently and it was not the funny fuzzy zany middle grade read I had hoped for. Concept is alright: cat summoned from our dimension by a wizard to kill demon rats in his wizard tower, quickly gets mistreated for being a cat, runs away across a magical wasteland to a castle and stumbles into a dragon's room. Dragon is being pressured to have her spikes get cut off to accommodate a saddle to carry a human rider so picks this cat as her workaround. This does not make the Council who runs the dragon rider academy very happy and they get sent off to kill a bone dragon that's been summoned by evil wizards. The OG wizard who originally summoned the cat turns out to be the big bad who was using all the demon rats the cat killed to power a magical working to open the hell dimension and so take over the world. I could've been on board with all that but cat was just tedious and whiny and the cat/dragon rapport was non-existent. I'm surprised I finished it, actually.

It's also not standalone and I do not feel compelled to continue on with the series.

Anyway if you want a fuzzy cozy zany cat/dragon found family middle grade read, Thaddeus Whiskers and the Dragon is much better. The premise is the court wizard accidentally over floofs the princess's kitten for her birthday and the kitten is immediately banished from the palace due to the magical cat allergies that the king and his court immediately suffers. The wizard takes the kitten to his tower to try and undo the spell but the kitten escapes trying to get back to the princess, gets lost, and runs into a dragon.

It is multi POV with a very fairy tale like kind of neat resolution to all the plot threads and probably something I'll give to my daughter to read on her own.

Now, back to my regular TBR: He Who Drowned the World is next.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ClydeFrog posted:

Seconding Rivers of London.

They go off a cliff after book 7, though.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Bitter Seeds (milkwood trilogy) is good fun. It goes places I wasn’t expecting and the idea of fighting one evil by spinning up another (whilst not hugely original) was handled interestingly.

My TBR list has grown horribly reading all these. Please everyone continue adding their noteworthy reads :) I really love having a whole stack of books to look at and anticipate. Makes me very happy.

I just picked up Goon book Intermission which has a very interesting premise. Imagine dying and then finding out your afterlife is more of the same job, only now instead of being a gate agent at an airport, you’re stuck doing it for the souls of the dead.

Honestly the idea of my job persisting into death really makes me shudder and I actually like what I do.

I also snagged City of Last Chances by Adrian Tchaikovsky as it was £1.99. Looks like a good door stopper that will do nicely for some work travel I have coming up.

Regarding Rivers of London:

Jedit posted:

They go off a cliff after book 7, though.

I don’t disagree with that assessment. I hope it swings back. I find Abigail more interesting atm.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 3, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

I really liked A Stranger in Olondria, although it should be noted that it is a very slow-burning book that's more interested in flow and imagery than plot. The Winged Histories is in my backlog.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Maybe so, this is the article that I read that made me extremely, depressingly disappointed in Kiernan: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1666159533872349184.html

And re-reading it now, it's worse than I remembered. As a caveat I will say I haven't personally sought out the sourced tweets/blog posts in the thread.

I was today years old when I learned Kiernan is a shithead dumb reactionary :negative: ah well glad I never gave her any money

In other news I've been reading The Face in the Frost and it's fantastic and thanks to those who recommended it here. Reminds me of reading Bridge of Birds for the first time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ClydeFrog posted:

I don’t disagree with that assessment. I hope it swings back.

Thirded. I enjoyed the early Rivers books but I've lost interest in the series since.

On the subject of furries, Alan Dean Foster was ahead of the curve: back in the 80s, he wrote the Spellsinger series, about a guy from our world who's transported to a fantasy world inhabited by a mix of humans and furries. I remember it as mildly amusing but very, very light.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

yeah that is worse than anything I have ever seen out of them. Ugh.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Leng posted:

Might surprise you to learn that she... doesn't!

Are you saying she doesn't plot?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Books with furry protagonists that I know of:

Chanur series by CJ Cherryh (bipedal lion aliens POV)
A Fire Upon the Deeps by Vernor Vinge (hive-mind dog aliens POV)
Moreau series by S Andrew Swann (1st book is about a bipedal tiger furry, 2nd book is about a cyborg lesbian (human), 3rd book is about a bipedal rabbit furry, 4th book is back to tiger but I didn't like it)
Andalite Chronicles + Hork-Bajir spin-off book by KA Applegate (about their centaur weirdos and lizard-esque weirdos alien POV)
Godsfire by Cynthia Felice (cat furries POV)
Jaguar Princess by Clare Bell (edge case, were-jaguar POV, she spends a lot of time as a human)
Heyoka Blackeagle duology by KD Wentworth (bipedal dog alien POV)
The Weigher by Eric Vinicoff & Marcia Martin (bipedal wolf alien judge POV)
Sholan Alliance by Lisanne Norman (bipedal cat alien POV)
Raksura by Martha Wells (gargoyle/lizard/dragon weird alien POV)
The Black Gryphon trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon (gryphon POV)
The Madness Season (shapeshifter/alien pov)
Quintaglio Ascension series by Robert Sawyer (dinosaur alien POV)
Breed to Come by Andre Norton (cat furries POV)
The Abolition of Species by Dietmar Dath (weird as gently caress xenofiction)
Julie's Wolf Pack by Jean Craighead George (wolves POV; specifically this one, not any others in the series)
Tomorrow's Sphinx by Clare Bell (cheetah POV)
Tag the Cat series by Gabriel King aka M John Harrison (cat POV)
Starcats series by Phyllis Gotlieb (psychic cat aliens POV)

And we're going from furry stuff to xenofiction, but eh, there's a lot of crossover. While I emphasize that I am not a furry, growing up I devoured the Animorph series and loved reading about animal people, and there's a surprising amount of it out there? Like, this isn't even comprehensive, I'm just covering stuff I like/own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oh let's not forget John Crowley's Beasts which has a race of genetically engineered himan-lion hybrids. Yeah there is furry sex.