Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I tried watching The Exodite show. It's not very good. Pretty poor writing, inconsistent animation and a mediocre voice cast with the exception of Clancy Brown running circles around everyone else.

So pretty similar to the feelings I had about the Iron Warriors short. It feels like I'm watching the meme versions of the Tau or the Iron Warriors in these stories, the writing is so on the nose and frankly amateurish in execution.

Pariah Nexus was an improvement in this respect, I liked it well enough.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I tried watching The Exodite show. It's not very good. Pretty poor writing, inconsistent animation and a mediocre voice cast with the exception of Clancy Brown running circles around everyone else.

So pretty similar to the feelings I had about the Iron Warriors short. It feels like I'm watching the meme versions of the Tau or the Iron Warriors in these stories, the writing is so on the nose and frankly amateurish in execution.

Pariah Nexus was an improvement in this respect, I liked it well enough.

The one thing I remember from Exodite is how fast they made the eldar titans, thats cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What I remember most was that, for a story ostensibly about the Tau and Eldar, there was an awful lot of Imperium of Man scenes clowning on the blue heads like it was a version of the Damocles Gulf Crusade that didn't turn into a shitshow.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

What I remember most was that, for a story ostensibly about the Tau and Eldar, there was an awful lot of Imperium of Man scenes clowning on the blue heads like it was a version of the Damocles Gulf Crusade that didn't turn into a shitshow.

Supposedly (rumor of disgruntled animator), the script which was originally a tau fan film that got executive mandate to showcase the Imperium more when the team was brought into warhammer+. I heard it was also cut shorter than originally intended. No clue if true or where I'd even find the source again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kylaer posted:

Yep it's from Urdesh, midway through the second book. A small interlude where the soundtrack switches from being a constant loop of Dragula to circus music as we get a literal Space Marine clown car scene. No other scene in either book is even remotely humorous. It's amazing.

I appreciate that book because of how Saint Sabbat and company should have been completely screwed but for that infiltration team being actually free to shut down the volcanic powerplant that kept the Archon's trap running. They faced creepy but not very serious opposition on the way in, the story cuts away from them finding the control room and you expect to return to find them fighting whatever ran the power plant, and instead they apparently just turned it off without further difficulty.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

habeasdorkus posted:

instead they apparently just turned it off without further difficulty.

To keep up verisimilitude, every so often Space Marines just get to go "mission accomplished, no casualties, proceeding with exfiltration".

The Urdesh duology is so good in so many ways.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah it was great, gently caress Tau

"Huh, humans die quick to the killing blow" *gets beaten to death with a trench mace*

Tau's entire deal is that they are like Golden Age Humans, they have absolutely no idea what they are getting into, and their tech is neat and shiny, they absolutely should be consistently stepping on rakes and getting clowned on by factions who understand more how poo poo works.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 1, 2024

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honestly years past now I'd still say most of the warhammer+ animations are pretty underwhelming stuff released at a very slow pace. The style and variety of fan animations before it was cooler. I do like a few of the hammer and bolter eps. Trazyns is great fun and the Garden of Ghosts is a cool eldar short.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah it was great, gently caress Tau

"Huh, humans die quick to the killing blow" *gets beaten to death with a trench mace*

Tau's entire deal is that they are like Golden Age Humans, they have absolutely no idea what they are getting into, and their tech is neat and shiny, they absolutely should be consistently stepping on rakes and getting clowned on by factions who understand more how poo poo works.

There's a difference between the Tau during their first encounters with the Imperium and the Tau following centuries of protracted warfare and the Sphere Expansions. And even then I roll my eyes at Tau stopping to say "people die when they are killed!" and then watching their buddy get brained by a half-dead Krieger for several seconds while a gunner drone misses a dozen point blank shots.

It just felt like the Exodite was showing the meme version of the Tau who are idealistic to a fault and suck at melee and anything that doesn't subscribe to the meme version is ditched from their portrayal. It makes them boring and one note and it wasn't helped by their bad voice acting and dialogue.

You can make idealistic and ignorant Tau without also making them braindead stupid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 1, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly years past now I'd still say most of the warhammer+ animations are pretty underwhelming stuff released at a very slow pace. The style and variety of fan animations before it was cooler. I do like a few of the hammer and bolter eps. Trazyns is great fun and the Garden of Ghosts is a cool eldar short.

I do like what they've released but the schedule is far too slow to justify a whole streaming service lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You're basically paying for the yearly model and the 40k/AoS app, Warhammer+ is just a bonus. It couldn't justify the price tag by itself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

You're basically paying for the yearly model and the 40k/AoS app, Warhammer+ is just a bonus. It couldn't justify the price tag by itself.

:agreed:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

To keep up verisimilitude, every so often Space Marines just get to go "mission accomplished, no casualties, proceeding with exfiltration".

The Urdesh duology is so good in so many ways.

Like two of them died.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Picked up Harrowmaster on the commendation of this thread and glad I did.

I'm only halfway through so far, but I'm loving how they've somehow made the Alpha Legion fun and human. I was expecting some B grade "exactly as planned" bullshit, but so far it's felt similar to the Nightlords books with the relationships between the warriors.

Of course, this could change at any moment

or could it?

exactly as planned

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dog_Meat posted:

Picked up Harrowmaster on the commendation of this thread and glad I did.

I'm only halfway through so far, but I'm loving how they've somehow made the Alpha Legion fun and human. I was expecting some B grade "exactly as planned" bullshit, but so far it's felt similar to the Nightlords books with the relationships between the warriors.

Of course, this could change at any moment

or could it?

exactly as planned

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Literally a scene in Harrowmaster, during the meeting of warbands.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So is there anyway to get some of these dead tree versions of books for not crazy prices?

I would love to pick up an edition, any edition, of Pariah, but the cheapest I am seeing is about $65, which is admittedly significantly less than most of the copies out there. There are some decently priced versions available in the UK but then they want $35+ shipping and it just blows the whole thing up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nesbit37 posted:

So is there anyway to get some of these dead tree versions of books for not crazy prices?

I would love to pick up an edition, any edition, of Pariah, but the cheapest I am seeing is about $65, which is admittedly significantly less than most of the copies out there. There are some decently priced versions available in the UK but then they want $35+ shipping and it just blows the whole thing up.

GW can be oddly stingy with their print runs but I've had good luck at physical bookstores. The more recent the novel the easier it is to actually find in print.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Obligatory

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Everyone saying who is Alpharius, but no one asking how is Alpharius.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

habeasdorkus posted:

Everyone saying who is Alpharius, but no one asking how is Alpharius.

Pretty sure Alpharius is feeling Alpharius today, Alpharius.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I love this meme format

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Really enjoyed Fall of Cadia. Do people have recommendations for more 40K books in that style?

I’ve mainly read Horus Heresy stuff, and some of the weirder 40K stuff like the Dark Coil, and the Infinite and the Divine.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 3, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
A couple of hours into harrowmaster and it's really good. The narrator also seemed really familiar, but I just couldn't place him until I googled- turns out Theo Solomon Alpharius is the same guy who does Wyll Alpharius in BG3! I'm not sure if I would be into his narration for all types of books, but it really works for this one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bohemian Nights posted:

A couple of hours into harrowmaster and it's really good. The narrator also seemed really familiar, but I just couldn't place him until I googled- turns out Theo Solomon Alpharius is the same guy who does Wyll Alpharius in BG3! I'm not sure if I would be into his narration for all types of books, but it really works for this one

i feel like alot of them would sound like astarion Alpharius

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Really enjoyed Fall of Cadia. Do people have recommendations for more 40K books in that style?

I’ve mainly read Horus Heresy stuff, and some of the weirder 40K stuff like the Dark Coil, and the Infinite and the Divine.

Crowley's necron two parter The Twice Dead King is I think the best Black Library has put out entirely, its real cool.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 3, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kylaer posted:

I love this meme format

This is also an incredible format even if it hasn't been deeply mined for 40k purposes

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I want the next primarch that comes back to be Alpharius and I want nobody to believe him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Rath's necron two parter The Twice Dead King is I think the best Black Library has put out entirely, its real cool.

That's by Nate Crowley

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

Make sure to check out Assassinorum: Kingmaker for more Robert Rath excellence.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sextro posted:

I want the next primarch that comes back to be Alpharius and I want nobody to believe him.

I think that would be fun both for lore and gameplay. The way it should work on the tabletop is that you just field a standard Alpha Legion force, and at any point you can choose to replace one marine with the Alpharius mini.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sharkopath posted:

Rath's necron two parter The Twice Dead King is I think the best Black Library has put out entirely, its real cool.

I second this. Really amazing descriptions of the necrons and their decay, along with a twist I had no clue was coming. But then I didn't know much about the necrons to begin with going in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's an old editions Tzeench Daemon Prince like that.

IIRC, he didn't necessarily need to replace one of your own figures.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AnEdgelord posted:

Make sure to check out Assassinorum: Kingmaker for more Robert Rath excellence.

Sharkopath posted:

Thanks both. I just looked at my Audible library and I already own Kingmaker apparently, though I have no memory of buying it, so I’ll go with that next and Twice Dead King afterwards. Ready for a bit of a 30K detox.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's by Nate Crowley

Whoops lol.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Whoops lol.

I'm bound by ancient pact to act as Crowley's hype man

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

moths posted:

There's an old editions Tzeench Daemon Prince like that.

IIRC, he didn't necessarily need to replace one of your own figures.

Take some rules from the Callidus assassin. Alpharius can replace any of your opponents troops at any time if fielded.

That Canoptek? Alpharius. The deep strike lictor? Alpharius. Ratling sniper? Also alpharius.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Sextro posted:

The dweeb who spoke up in Harrowmaster and got shouted down was actually Alpharius :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm bound by ancient pact to act as Crowley's hype man

Isn't Crowley a Goon?