Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I decided to upgrade all the speakers in my home theater yesterday after a pretty rough year and my birthday coming up, and originally I would have gone to Best Buy but I bought them elsewhere instead for the first time ever. gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It is time to make your return my boy.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lmao they must be removing the SKUs from their system - at least - the receipts online which usually always detailed what I buy in store now just list blank items for most everything except my last couple visits lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

dorium posted:

The one at my mall is still shockingly going strong. Not quite the same but if this is where the exclusive steelbooks are going I'll take it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The one at my mall is still shockingly going strong. Not quite the same but if this is where the exclusive steelbooks are going I'll take it.

I wish i still had the one at my nearest mall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

dorium posted:

I wish i still had the one at my nearest mall.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

oh, one thing i've done at best buy over the last few years is recycle electronics. they're good at accepting everything but batteries.

but yea, other than that, i really have no reason to go now.
I think they’re supposed to take a fee for anything with a heating element. But my mom went to go get rid of my grandmas’s old broken toaster last week, and nobody was minding the recycling. So she put it on the pile and walked out.

Edit: The county I live in has a great recycling center 10 minutes from my house. It’s a pull through one so you don’t even have to get out of your car. Cardboard and plastic bags are free to drop off. Electronics cost a pittance. I brought my old dishwasher there and they took it for $50. $15 cheaper than if Home Depot has hauled it off when I got rid of the old one.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 3, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You're not missing anything. The local mall has a surprising 100% occupancy rate and the owners of the place just announced plans to turn a bunch of the parking lots into housing bc they can see the writing on the wall.

Alas it does not have a Suncoast

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 4, 2024

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Physical media was typically a loss-leader situation at BBY. Easy way to get you in the door and then considering bigger, higher margin things. Maybe you wander over to appliances after browsing movies, that sort of thing.

Between shrink from theft, shrink from damage, etc. and that when I wrapped my time w BBY in 2017, I was still saving only a couple of bucks on a Blu-ray at most. And that was about 5% above cost. They probably net the same amount of margin or more selling a Netflix gift card without all of the associated issues that a physical disc brings.

But it’s an underrated way of staying front of mind! I think about Target a lot because I need home goods and cat litter and groceries. Best Buy, I used to check 20x daily for deals on media. And now it’s a lot less than that. I can’t imagine what it’ll be like when all the media is gone. I mean, you only buy other stuff at Best Buy occasionally. You don’t need a new camera more than once every 5 something years. A computer upgrade? Occasional. Appliance? Once in a decade (or two, hopefully).

I think the removal of physical media won’t be obvious on their bottom line aside from maybe some better profit margin. But over time, I see it as just another part of contributing to the degradation of their physical retail spaces…and now even their online store! Like, even if they got rid of them from stores, I can’t imagine it would have been too terrible to ship any media from a couple of main warehouses.

Like I mentioned the other day, I hate that I’ll have to track sales and prices against multiple retailers (Amazon vs KL or Arrow or Shout themselves) and just all the other extra hoops I’ll jump through for a 4K UHD of Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Even physical media is experiencing enshittification! Hell, we saw this coming with the disc holders. 20 years ago, a DVD stayed loving PUT. Now even premium sets have too thin of center holders and discs fly everywhere.

Sorry, lots of thoughts as it makes me feel like an old person experiencing a shift like this.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Boywhiz88 posted:

Physical media was typically a loss-leader situation at BBY.

I cannot believe this to be true, even for the old pre-covid $5 loose dvd/blu ray bins.

Printed copy media is always a money printer as long as there's volume, real good money - because the only costs involved are license related. Printing a disc and it's case is under a dollar, the rest of the sticker price is a split of some kind.

No retailer is losing money selling a $36.99 print of Insidius The Red Door. BBY just (likely a long time ago, from as long as I've heard employees there telling me it was being planned,) must simply have made a call that the sales volume wasn't living up to the store floor square footage and decided they could do better elsewhere. Just in time for everyone to be getting fed up with streaming - slow rear end business behaving slowly.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

This is a receipt from June 2017. I’d be interested to see how the margin may or may not have shifted with 4K. But you can see that deals like that Buy 2, Get 1 definitely wipe out the margin that those first two titles may have provided the company.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 4, 2024

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress it, I picked up Die Hard, Independence Day, and Goodfellas UHDs from BB. my local stores have the weirdest selection of stock and I'd have to drive all over to get anything else I find particularly interesting so I just stuck with those three that were eligible for free shipping

kinda tempted to go get The Fifth Element but the local record store has it and I don't mind saving myself a drive + supporting local business, even if I have to pay a little more for the disc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dorium posted:

This is my poison.

I have good memories with this specific store. I would head down here on Fridays with a guy I used to work with a university film library (and occasionally one of his flatmates), and we'd go DVD shopping back when that was the dominant format.

Whenever I'm in town, or when I'm at the local mall, I usually pop in for a mosey around the store and see what they have. It's how I ended up wth the complete set of the 60s Batman TV series, the Arrow release of Zardoz, Patton and The Hustler steelbooks and the combined set of The Raid and The Raid 2.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The one at my mall is still shockingly going strong.

Wait, Suncoast still exists...at all?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Wait, Suncoast still exists...at all?

I had to check. There’s 3 of them left in the US. It was absorbed by FYE, which is also dying.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
For anyone taking advantage of Vinegar Syndrome’s subscriber week deals, Rebels of the Neon God for ten bucks is a great deal

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had to check. There’s 3 of them left in the US. It was absorbed by FYE, which is also dying.

I'm actively hoping FYE dies off (they're a pyramid scheme).

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm actively hoping FYE dies off (they're a pyramid scheme).

Ok, I'll bite. I gotta hear more about this.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I don't know about pyramid scheme necessarily but FYE did run a huge scam for a long time. They were sued for their "rewards program" which provided lovely discounts on random poo poo like gift cards to other retailers. Their program charged you $11.99/month and required you to call one specific phone number and go through an early-00s AOL esque gauntlet of customer service reps in order to cancel. Tons of people signed up for these accounts thinking it was a regular customer loyalty program and not something that they had to pay every month for.

Even after they restructured, it apparently still exists according to their website:

quote:

There are two types of the Backstage Pass program:

Backstage Pass VIP - is a 1 month free trial with $11.99 billed directly to credit card on file after the trial period. Customer must call to cancel 1-877-351-2131 and can cancel at any time. Visit https://www.fyevip.com for additional details regarding the Backstage Pass VIP member benefits.

Platinum Backstage Pass - 1 year membership. $25 for the year. Please visit one of our stores to purchase the Platinum Backstage Pass

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The next Janus Contemporaries release is going to be a documentary about David Lynch and the Wizard of Oz.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

booooooooo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Lynch/Oz got a big push from my local arthouse, added to the Criterion Channel quickly, and now this. I love David Lynch, but it feels a little excessive. I'll probably watch it after I've watched Inland Empire but it sure is getting some praise. Would like to figure out what it's all about.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dorium posted:

The one in Portland has closed, sadly. Bought plenty of kung fu DVDs there like 10 years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss Strawberries. I feel like there was a Coconuts at one point as well that was part of the same company.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/physicalmedia_/status/1743014684134092975?s=46

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

That's Legendary Godzilla on the front cover, just with -1.0's spines photoshopped on. :(

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

barnold posted:

I don't know about pyramid scheme necessarily but FYE did run a huge scam for a long time. They were sued for their "rewards program" which provided lovely discounts on random poo poo like gift cards to other retailers. Their program charged you $11.99/month and required you to call one specific phone number and go through an early-00s AOL esque gauntlet of customer service reps in order to cancel. Tons of people signed up for these accounts thinking it was a regular customer loyalty program and not something that they had to pay every month for.

Even after they restructured, it apparently still exists according to their website:

Yeah they got me like a year ago for their "free rewards program" (cashier's words) because it took like 20% whatever I was buying that day, then a month later got a surprise charge on my statement.

gently caress that store.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The new VSP release today is Divinity :hellyeah: this film rules and is super weird. Eddie Alcazar is to me what Panos Cosmatos is for everyone else. High recommend

Daily deals are:
Boggy Creek 2
Scary of Sixty-First
Expect No Mercy
The Laughing Dead
Steel and Lace
Scared to Death
Alien Private Eye
Luz
So Long Billie
Through the Fire
Knife+Heart
Burglar from Hell
gently caress the Devil 1 and 2
Justice Ninja Style

Luz and Knife+Heart are my Recommends

Gripweed posted:

The next Janus Contemporaries release is going to be a documentary about David Lynch and the Wizard of Oz.

Lynch/Oz rules, I got to see it for Fantastic Fest in 2022. Recommend

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Lynch/Oz got a big push from my local arthouse, added to the Criterion Channel quickly, and now this. I love David Lynch, but it feels a little excessive. I'll probably watch it after I've watched Inland Empire but it sure is getting some praise. Would like to figure out what it's all about.

It's 6 video essays of David Lynch enthusiasts exploring connections between his work and The Wizard of Oz in the aftermath of a 2001 NYFF screening of Mulholland Drive where Lynch, answering a question of "can you talk about the influence of Wizard of Oz on your work?", responded that there's not a day he doesn't think of that film

The Lynch enthusiasts aforementioned are:
critic Amy Nicholson
The Nightmare director Rodney Ascher
John loving Waters
Karyn Kusama
Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead
and David Lowery

I found it fascinating personally, but also: you very much know from this description and those names if it's a thing you'll be into or not. I absolutely was

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Knife+Heart is a French giallo-influenced slasher that is so good I liked it despite being both French and giallo-influenced.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Lynch/Oz rules, I got to see it for Fantastic Fest in 2022. Recommend

It's 6 video essays of David Lynch enthusiasts exploring connections between his work and The Wizard of Oz in the aftermath of a 2001 NYFF screening of Mulholland Drive where Lynch, answering a question of "can you talk about the influence of Wizard of Oz on your work?", responded that there's not a day he doesn't think of that film

The Lynch enthusiasts aforementioned are:
critic Amy Nicholson
The Nightmare director Rodney Ascher
John loving Waters
Karyn Kusama
Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead
and David Lowery

I found it fascinating personally, but also: you very much know from this description and those names if it's a thing you'll be into or not. I absolutely was

Okay yeah, I've been underestimating it. Anything involving John Waters, David Lynch, and Karyn Kusama I'm right-the-gently caress-there. That sounds fantastic. Once I've watched Inland Empire I'm going to watch this on my own.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I ordered Luz and The Scary of 61st. Hopefully I only regret one of them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gripweed posted:

I ordered Luz and The Scary of 61st. Hopefully I only regret one of them.

Eh, you might regret Scary of 61st. I bought it and... it's something. I don't know if I would've necessarily bought it, having watched it now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I saw that one at a festival and it seemed very happy with itself. Read just a tiny bit into the backstory of the people that made it and instantly regretted it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VoodooXT posted:

Eh, you might regret Scary of 61st. I bought it and... it's something. I don't know if I would've necessarily bought it, having watched it now.

Yeah I take it for granted I’m gonna regret it. I think I was just overcome with grim curiosity.

morestuff posted:

I saw that one at a festival and it seemed very happy with itself. Read just a tiny bit into the backstory of the people that made it and instantly regretted it

Yeah it’s the movie made by Adam Friedland’s ex-girlfriend.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I realized today that I want a Heathers UHD. Someone give us Heathers. Someone buy Heathers on Blu-Ray so we can get it on UHD. I don't want to be the sacrifice!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I realized today that I want a Heathers UHD. Someone give us Heathers. Someone buy Heathers on Blu-Ray so we can get it on UHD. I don't want to be the sacrifice!

I did a while ago.

Of course, there's a monkey's paw out there somewhere and instead we get a UHD of that TV series instead.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Fffffffuuuuu Unearthed is releasing a Guyver UHD in May

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:sickos:

This will go well with my VHS of the movie. I'm so fond of it, flawed as it is.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1743400387963503043?t=L7TsgPUa-MvrfvpEv4dopw&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ll be having that. I politely demand that all of you, even the ones who don’t care about The Guyver, buy it as well to increase the chances of them doing the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Originally I only heard about someone doing a 4k of Dark Hero, don't remember anything about this one, but hopefully it's already in the works.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2024