Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1742340992144195923?t=EYrOMDDLwbYSkdsYzTyV7g&s=19

Thank you Mr Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lily Catts posted:

I had a bad feeling the main event was going to be bad and I still wasn't prepared for what I saw. Wow. Ibushi used to be my favorite wrestler but I sincerely hope he takes a rest before wrestling again.

Yeah Kota's trajectory from one of the best in the world to injured to blowing up at a middle manager to coming back looking rough to injured again is pretty sad. I haven't watched the NOAH show but I'm not sure I want to.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/knoxben1/status/1742382270969720948?t=m2vRlJlceFhCxwWUb5i1Qw&s=19

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The crowd seem just as uninterested in the AWG segment as they did yesterday

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
At least they figured out that having no commentary for the segment made the thing even more out of place.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Takeshita on the January 27th show, teaming with Eruption's Hideki Okatani

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rolling Cattle Mutilation getting a nice pop

e: Also a nice reaction to that same flash pin from yesterday

e2: Ah well, that's that then

e3: YESSSSSSSSS, very keen for him to challenge

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 3, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Debating between the TJPW show or the Stardom show before Wrestlekingdom tomorrow. The Stardom card seems very house show and they say it'll be done by 3:30 but it's a Stardom show. TJPW looks fun but as it'sa full card may run into WK gate opening time

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Debating between the TJPW show or the Stardom show before Wrestlekingdom tomorrow. The Stardom card seems very house show and they say it'll be done by 3:30 but it's a Stardom show. TJPW looks fun but as it'sa full card may run into WK gate opening time

TJPW has historically timed their show so that people can attend both without missing anything, workers included. They're starting half an hour earlier this year compared to last year to accommodate for the possibly longer run time.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1742456023443812768

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 3, 2024

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/ddtproENG/status/1742509615349452828?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Exciting to see NXT Japan star Yuma Aoyagi going over Don Callis' henchman Konosuke Takeshita

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Good god the AWG intro to All Japan being a big choreographed dance seems impressively misjudged. Sort of thing has its place but just as a first impression it is lousy. Not what AJPW fans want to be watching

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Good god the AWG intro to All Japan being a big choreographed dance seems impressively misjudged. Sort of thing has its place but just as a first impression it is lousy. Not what AJPW fans want to be watching

They just picked the wrong song. Should have gone with the classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MoaxJOpolM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

They just picked the wrong song. Should have gone with the classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MoaxJOpolM

That always pops me.

I have no idea what possessed them that the first AWG exposure in All Japan should be someone failing to do a Shining Wizard. Even if "being bad at doing Muta cosplay" seems like the gimmick, it's not exactly putting your best foot forward.

Honestly maybe the deadest Korakuen crowd I've ever heard. How is this the same promotion that gave us Miyuki Takase & Himeka & Saori Anou & Tae Honma? Bizarre.

And it's not just a "AJPW fans not giving women a chance" thing, the likes of Chihiro Hashimoto & Maya Yukihi have been over here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

10 man Tag was also some weird booking choices. Yeah, what we needed was the Saitos fighting with their teammates.

Oh well, thought the Title preview was good even though it was very funny how much more into Anzai everyone was

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh my god I'm watching AJPW & the prematch video is soundtracked by Nickelback Baba rolling in his grave

Charlie Dempsey has a really nice look. It's just extremely basic and old school, quite unWWE.

Looking for him being kicked very hard

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What was the deal with Takao Omori back in NOAH anyway? According to Wikipedia, Misawa just banished him to an excursion and didn't welcome him back anymore because he did an audible and finished a match early. Is that all there was to it?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Saw that Yuki Iino has joined Burning on today's DDT show which is cool

Also that 37KAMIINA retained the 10-man belts, so it'll probably be another year before they remember them again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I haven't included links because I was rushing to get this done today, but if they are actually useful then say & I will put them back in next week. Otherwise I might not bother going forward.

Anyway, the opening week craziness is done, but we've still got plenty of wrestling to crack on with, Stardom have a trio of shows, Dragongate have 4 shows that are being streamed, including a main event of Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shingo Takagi, a rematch of one of the best singles matches in Dragon System history from the 2015 Gate of Destiny show. TJPW have an Inspiration show with Hikari Noa getting to do another deathmatch, assuming she's recovered from whatever injury or illness kept her out of the last TJPW show. I'm sure Masha will brutalise her.

There's also an Unagi Sayaka Produce show, I'm unsure if it will be airing anywhere but wouldn't be surprised, she's a pretty big draw as far as I can tell. It's a pretty weird & fun card, though the stip on the COLORs vs Prominence 6 man is "winner gets a date with a wrestling fan" which honestly seems more like the prize for the loser, a bit eh. The other interesting produce show of the week is one I failed to find a card for, but is ARSION. Hyper Visual Fighting Arsion was founded by Rossy Ogawa of Stardom & Aja Kong in 1997 after Kong left Zenjo & was a top joshi promotion in that dark age of joshi along with GAEA. This seems to be the brainchild of Michiko Omukai as far I can tell, Sareee is on the card, as is Kakeru Sekiguchi, Cherry, Kizuna Tanaka, Omukai, LEON & some others. Like the Sayaka show, no idea if this is being filmed, if it'll be a DVD release or what, but it seems notable that they are doing a memorial/tribute show. One name not attached as far as I can tell is Aja Kong

6/1/2023, Saturday

11am JST/1pm AEDT/3am GMT/10pm EST/7pm PST

Tokyo Joshi Pro Inspiration 6
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Kuishinbo Kamen vs Pom Harajuku
HIMAWARI & Toga vs Max The Impaler & Yuki Aino
Battle Royal: Maki Itoh vs Miu Watanabe vs Mizuki vs Rika Tatsumi vs Shoko Nakajima vs Yuki Kamifuku
Deathmatch: Hikari Noa vs Masha Slamovich

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/3:30am GMT/10:30pm EST/7:30pm PST

Stardom New Year Stars Night 2
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
HANAKO & Sayka Kurara vs Rana Yagami & Yuzuki
New Year Wonder Rumble: AZM vs Fukigen Death vs Hanan vs Hazuki vs Lady C vs Mei Seira vs Rina vs Ruaka vs Saki Kashima vs Saya Iida vs Starlight Kid vs Yuna Mizumori
New Year World Rumble: Ami Sourei vs Megan Bayne vs Mina Shirakawa vs MIRAI vs Momo Watanabe vs Nanae Takahashi vs Natsuko Tora vs Saya Kamitani vs Suzu Suzuki vs Syuri vs Utami Hayashishita
Giulia & Mayu Iwatani vs Maika & Saori Anou

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/4am GMT/11pm EST/8pm PST

Ganbare Pro GanPro 2024 Rosier
176BOX, Osaka
Momoka Hanazono vs Riara
Banny Oikawa & YuuRI vs HARUKAZE & Yoshiko Hasegawa
Mizuki Watase & Soma Takao vs Tyson Maeguchi & Yumehito Imanari
Ilusion & Munetatsu Nakamura vs Keisuke Ishii & Shota
Shinichiro Tominaga vs Tsuyoshi Okada
Spirit of Ganbare World Tag Team Titles: Shuichiro Katsumura & Takuya Wada(c) vs HARASHIMA & Ken Ohka

3pm JST/5pm AEDT/6am GMT/1am EST/10pm PST

Gatoh Move ChocoPro #351
Ichigaya Chocolate Square, Tokyo
Baliyan Akki, Emi Sakura & Mei Suruga vs Miya Yotsuba, Sayaka Obihiro & Ryuichi Sekine
Rest of card TBA

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 1
KBS Hall, Kyoto
Dragon Kid, Eita & YAMATO vs M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda)
Ben-K & Kaito Nagano vs Madoka Kikuta & Ryoya Tanaka
Dragon Dia vs Kota Minoura
Hyo & Luis Mante vs Kagetora & Ultimo Dragon
Natural Vibes (BIG BOSS Shimizu, Jacky Funky Kamei, Kzy & Strong Machine J) vs Z-Brats (ISHIN, KAI, Shun Skywalker & Yoshiki Kato)

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/9:30am GMT/5:30am EST/1:30am PST

DDT Sweet Dreams Tour Night 2
176BOX, Osaka
Kazusada Higuchi vs Rukiya
Kazuma Sumi vs Yoshitatsu
Daisuke Sasaki & KANON vs HARASHIMA & Yuni
Hideki Okatani & Yukio Sakaguchi vs Toi Kojima & Yuki Iino
Kazuki Hirata & Sanshiro Takagi vs Shunma Katsumata & Toru Owashi
Takeshi Masada vs Yukio Naya
MAO & Yuki Ueno vs Tetsuya Endo & Yusuke Okada
KO-D 6 Man Tag Team Titles: Danshoku Dieno, Jun Akiyama & Makoto Oishi(c) vs Bodyguard, Naruki Doi & Tsutenkakka

Also shows from Ice Ribbon, Osaka Pro, Diana & JTO

7/1/2023, Sunday

DDT Sweet Dreams Tour Night 3
176BOX, Osaka
Makoto Oishi vs Yuni
Takeshi Masada vs Yoshitatsu
Akito & Yuki Iino vs Jun Akiyama & Toru Owashi
Daisuke Sasaki & KANON vs Tetsuya Endo & Yusuke Okada
HARASHIMA & Kazuma Sumi vs Rukiya & Sanshiro Takagi
Hideki Okatani vs Toi Kojima
Danshoku Dieno vs Kazuki Hirata
Kazusada Higuchi, Yukio Naya & Yukio Sakaguchi vs MAO, Shunma Katsumata & Yuki Ueno

Stardom New Year Stars Night 3
Nagoya Congress Centre, Nagoya
Mina Shirakwa vs Yuna Mizumori
God's Eye (Ami Sourei & Saki Kashima) vs STARS (Hazuki & Saya Iida)
HANAKO, Rana Yagami & Yuzuki vs Queen's Quest (AZM & Lady C) & Sayaka Kurara
New Year Tag Tournament 1st Round: Oedo ai (Momo Watanabe & Starlight Kid) vs STARS (Hanan & Mayu Iwatani)
New Year Tag Tournament 1st Round: Giulia & Mai Sakurai vs Mei Seira & Suzu Suzuki
New Year Tag Tournament 1st Round: Divine Kingdom (Maika & Megan Bayne) vs God's Eye (MIRAI & Syuri)
New Year Tag Tournament 1st Round: AphroditE (Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita) vs BMI2000 (Natsuko Tora & Ruaka)
New Year Tag Tournament Semi-Final
New Year Tag Tournament Semi-Final
New Year Tag Tournament Final

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/9am GMT/4am EST/1am PST

Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 2
EDION Arena #2, Osaka
D'courage (Dragon Dia, Madoka Kikuta & Ryoya Tanaka) vs Natural Vibes (Jacky Funky Kamei, Jason Lee & U-T)
Gold Class (Ben-K & Kota Minoura) vs Z-Brats (KAI & Yoshiki Kato)
Strong Machine J vs Yasushi Kanda
Don Fujii, Dragon Kid, Naruki Doi & Ultimo Dragon vs Eita, Mondai Ryu, Takashi Yoshida & YAMATO
M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki & Susumu Mochizuki) vs Natural Vibes (BIG BOSS Shimizu & Kzy)
Hyo & Luis Mante vs Z-Brats (ISHIN & Shun Skywalker)

Unagi Sayaka Produce Tonoha Go Ranshin ~ Ichiban Kinsei~
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Takumi Iroha vs Unagi Sayaka
Issei Onitsuka & Takanori Ito vs Minoru Fujita & Takayuki Ueki
Aoi & Itsuki Aoki vs Haruka Umesaki & Nanami
AJPW TV 6 Man Tag Team Titles: Maya Yukihi, Mayumi Ozaki & Suwama(c) vs Dark Tiger, Dark Unagi & Dark X
Akane Fujita, Mochi Natsumi & Risa Sera vs SAKI, Yuko Sakurai & X
Dick Togo & Jun Kasai vs Fuminori Abe & Kuroshio TOKYO Japan
Konami & Unagi Sayaka vs Masato Tanaka & Minoru Suzuki

Also shows from Ice Ribbon, Oz Academy, Osaka Pro, BASARA, JWP, Diana, 2AW & Sendai Girls

8/1/2023, Monday, Coming of Age Day

Stardom New Year Stars Night 4
Tosho Arena, Anjo
2 vs 1 Handicap Match: Rana Yagami & Yuzuki vs Saya Kamitani
HANAKO & Maika vs Mina Shirakawa & Sayaka Kurara
Ami Sourei & Lady C vs Mei Seira & Suzu Suzuki
Giulia & Mai Sakurai vs Queen's Quest (AZM & Utami Hayashishita)
Cosmic Angels (Saori Anou & Yuna Mizumori) & Megan Bayne vs God's Eye (MIRAI, Saki Kashima & Syuri)
Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Natsuko Tora, Ruaka & Starlight Kid) vs STARS (Hanan, Hazuki, Mayu Iwatani & Saya Iida)

Also shows from Osaka Pro, FREEDOMS, Wave, Kyushu Pro, YMZ, Dragongate & Sendai Girls

9/1/2023, Tuesday

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/10am GMT/6am EST/2am PST

Prominence Round 20
Shin-Kiba 1stRING, Tokyo
Nao Ishikawa vs Yuko Sakurai
Akane Fujita & Takahiro Katori vs Crazy King & Miyako Matsumoto
Honoka, Kizuna Tanaka & Sakura Hirota vs Itsuki Aoki, Kakeru Sekiguchi & Mochi Natsumi
Hiragi Kurumi & Yuki Miyazaki vs Toshiyuki Sakuda & Violento Jack
Risa Sera vs SAKI

Also show from PPP Tokyo

10/1/2023, Wednesday

Dragongate Open The New Gate Year Night 4 - Masaaki Mochizuki 30th Anniversary
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Hyo & Luis Mante vs Kagetora & Ryoya Tanaka
M3K (Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda) vs Natural Vibes (BIG BOSS Shimizu & Jacky Funky Kamei)
Open The Owarai Gate Title: Lingerie Mutoh(c) vs Don Fujii
Gianni Valletta & KAI vs Punch Tominaga & Ultimo Dragon
Ben-K, Dragon Dia, Kota Minoura, Madoka Kikuta & Strong Machine J vs BxB Hulk, Dragon Kid, Kzy, Naruki Doi & YAMATO
Aagan Iisou (Shuji Kondo, Takuya Sugawara & Toru Owashi) vs Z-Brats (ISHIN, Shun Skywalker & Yoshiki Kato)
Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shingo Takagi

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/10am GMT/6am EST/2am PST

Gatoh Move To The Future
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Gaia Hox & Munetatsu Nakamura vs HARASHIMA & Masahiro Takanashi
Antonio Honda & Tokiko Kirihara vs Choun Shiryu & Mochi Natsumi vs Minoru Fujita & Sayaka
Baliyan Akki vs Masato Tanaka
Mei Suruga vs Miyu Amasaki
Hagane Shinno & Riho vs Hiragi Kurumi & Sayaka Obihiro
Super Asia Title: Emi Sakura(c) vs Miya Yotsuba

Also shows from BJW & Cherry Produce

11/1/2023, Thursday

Dragongate Open The New Gate Year Night 5
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
D'courage (Dragon Dia, Madoka Kikuta & Ryoya Tanaka) vs Gold Class (Ben-K, BxB Hulk & Kota Minoura)
Daiki Yanagiuchi vs Gianni Valletta
Naruki Doi & Shuji Kondo vs Punch Tominaga & YAMATO
Don Fujii, Genki Horiguchi, Kagetora, Kenichiro Arai & Ultimo Dragon vs Natural Vibes (BIG BOSS Shimizu, Jason Lee, Kzy, Strong Machine J & U-T)
Jacky Funky Kamei vs Luis Mante
Open The Triangle Gate: Z-Brats (ISHIN, KAI & Yoshiki Kato)(c) vs M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda)
Hyo vs Shun Skywalker

Also show from BJW

12/1/2023, Friday

Shows from Actwres girlZ, ARSION(?) & Sendai Girls

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Lily Catts posted:

What was the deal with Takao Omori back in NOAH anyway? According to Wikipedia, Misawa just banished him to an excursion and didn't welcome him back anymore because he did an audible and finished a match early. Is that all there was to it?

The Hashimoto match is just a small piece in the bigger puzzle. To sum it simply, Omori just wasn't up to the standard he was expected to be at. Omori and Takayama did win the tag titles, but dropped them quite quick. After No Fear disbanded, Omori was a singles midcard act for a few months before heading to the excursion to level up. Some rumors of him taking a WWE tryout without permission from NOAH surfaced, which did lead to even more distrust from NOAH. Returning from excursion in January-February 2003, he had a meeting with Misawa and shortly after that announced he was departing. Apparently he wasn't in the good graces of Misawa. Shortly after that, Omori joined Riki Choshu's World Japan promotion. During this time, Misawa said "Omori won't be seen in a NOAH ring ever again".

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

6/1/2023, Saturday

Tokyo Joshi Pro Inspiration 6
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Kuishinbo Kamen vs Pom Harajuku
HIMAWARI & Toga vs Max The Impaler & Yuki Aino
Battle Royal: Maki Itoh vs Miu Watanabe vs Mizuki vs Rika Tatsumi vs Shoko Nakajima vs Yuki Kamifuku
Deathmatch: Hikari Noa vs Masha Slamovich

This card's been changed a bit because of Hikari's sickness

Pom vs Kamen
Miyu & Aino vs HIMAWARI and Toga
Battle Royale: Mizuki vs Rika vs Shoko vs Kamiyu vs Miu (No word on if Itoh will get replaced after her injury update or if it's just a 5-way now)
Slamovich vs Max

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also the times are weird again.

I made a thread for Inspiration, btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051197

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The New Years ZERO1 show broadcasting on Samurai TV today looks pretty cool, Sekimoto and Hino teaming up, Sareee vs Mio and Seiki Yoshioka's first appearance since leaving NOAH last year

quote:

Kohei Sato vs Satsuki Nagao
Sareee vs. Mio Momono
KAMIKAZE, Kongozan, Mizuki Watase & Rikiya Fudo vs. Andy Wu, Ren Ayabe, Tatsuya Hanami & Yumehito Imanari
Jaguar Yokota & Kyoko Inoue vs. Hanako Nakamori & Miyuki Takase
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Hino vs. Daichi Hashimoto & Yuki Toki
Yankee Two Kenju (Isami Kodaka & Yuko Miyamoto), Seiki Yoshioka & Tatsuhito Takaiwa vs. Bambeat, Ryo Hoshino, Shingo & Takumi Baba
Fuminori Abe vs. Takumi Saito
Kubota Brothers (Hide Kubota & Yasu Kubota) (c) vs. Junya Matsunaga & Tsugutaka Sato
Yuya Aoki vs. Leo Isaka

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Dragongate have 4 shows that are being streamed, including a main event of Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shingo Takagi, a rematch of one of the best singles matches in Dragon System history from the 2015 Gate of Destiny show.
Great month on DGN overall. They just ran KBS Hall and Osaka Edion in the past two nights, there's a double Korakuen show coming up so I expect some unit shuffling and/or plot development, then two nights at Kobe Sambo Hall, and the new Gate of Bayside pape at Yokohama Budokan at the end of the month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

The New Years ZERO1 show broadcasting on Samurai TV today looks pretty cool, Sekimoto and Hino teaming up, Sareee vs Mio and Seiki Yoshioka's first appearance since leaving NOAH last year

Still bummed Shoki Kitamura went on hiatus because Aoki vs Kitamura was going to be fantastic.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's not got a lot of western news and fan attention but as part of New Japan's attempts to shore up it's next few years in the business and find new markets, they've formed several partnerships with SEA promotions.
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1743678821226746314
https://www.njpw1972.com/167503

Definitely something that'll take time to grow as most of these promotions are so small that they're directly linked to Gatoh Move and Emi Sakura
https://twitter.com/greg_gpmax/status/1743465798847586320

Big news for Dirty Dirty Dirt Sheets contributors in the last few days.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This is basically restating the announcement that was made a few months ago; believe at the big Bushiroad results conference they did.

I believe only Setup is from the Gatoh Move linked group - in the past Gatoh Move has primarily worked with Singapore Pro Wrestling there and not GrappleMax; SPW have also worked with TJPW where Kamiyu is the current Queen of Asia champion. Puzzle I believe is tiny and has ran a handful of shows but I could be wrong there (there's only one on cagematch but that doesn't mean anything; NTW is the main Taiwanese promotion that I believe worked with Stardom on their Taipei tour years ago and who also seem to have booked Japanese talent from all over the place); I know next to nothing about Chinese wrestling other than OWE was a failure; I believe DFW is very small if they run much at all.

It'll be helpful for the various promotions but outside of Singapore where you've had a couple of companies working hard to build up a genuinely local indie scene that survives on its own, lots of existing links between Japan and Singapore talent wise and also frankly a very concentrated population probably means that's the area that has more chance of working. Taiwan is an interesting one with NJPW historically having some TV there and running shows in the past and that appears to be their first option for a NJPW-branded show this time but it'll take more work. Thailand had literally nothing before Gatoh Move started up there and they didn't run that much: SETUP launched in 2020 basically from the ashes of the Gatoh Move Thailand operation (Pumi who owns it is the old Gatoh Move English announcer pre-pandemic) but the pandemic held things up: they're further behind the two earlier mentioned in that Setup is very small and is really the only promotion of any note in the country but has a core roster of talent and there's historic links with Japan (through Gatoh Move initially, SETUP also has/had links with DDT and TJPW through Gatoh Move as well) so there's something there.

China is a waste of time and money to invest in at this point but I get why they are included; biggest country in the region, lots of potential money, plus also if you're making an SEA play including China publicly is probably helpful. No one has made it work though - EVOLVE tried touring and that didn't work; OWE was a failure in terms of building up fan interest in China and resulted in the company relocated to Cambodia (where it also failed and apparently all of the trainees were miserable and had no money); CIMA left it high and dry when GLEAT became his next thing.

The interesting absence is South Korea but I genuinely don't know if there's a reason for that - historical enmity between Japan and Korea might be a factor but it'd be a weird one (lots of links between Puro and Korea historically); it also might be that WWE has more of a hold on the market and its been difficult to find a partner there.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The GrappleMax guy's timeline is bursting with photos of him in Ichigaya so while the promotion itself hasn't worked with Gatoh Move he's definitely linked.

https://twitter.com/greg_gpmax/status/1743425258735185964

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

IceAgeComing posted:

This is basically restating the announcement that was made a few months ago; believe at the big Bushiroad results conference they did.

I believe only Setup is from the Gatoh Move linked group - in the past Gatoh Move has primarily worked with Singapore Pro Wrestling there and not GrappleMax; SPW have also worked with TJPW where Kamiyu is the current Queen of Asia champion. Puzzle I believe is tiny and has ran a handful of shows but I could be wrong there (there's only one on cagematch but that doesn't mean anything; NTW is the main Taiwanese promotion that I believe worked with Stardom on their Taipei tour years ago and who also seem to have booked Japanese talent from all over the place); I know next to nothing about Chinese wrestling other than OWE was a failure; I believe DFW is very small if they run much at all.

It'll be helpful for the various promotions but outside of Singapore where you've had a couple of companies working hard to build up a genuinely local indie scene that survives on its own, lots of existing links between Japan and Singapore talent wise and also frankly a very concentrated population probably means that's the area that has more chance of working. Taiwan is an interesting one with NJPW historically having some TV there and running shows in the past and that appears to be their first option for a NJPW-branded show this time but it'll take more work. Thailand had literally nothing before Gatoh Move started up there and they didn't run that much: SETUP launched in 2020 basically from the ashes of the Gatoh Move Thailand operation (Pumi who owns it is the old Gatoh Move English announcer pre-pandemic) but the pandemic held things up: they're further behind the two earlier mentioned in that Setup is very small and is really the only promotion of any note in the country but has a core roster of talent and there's historic links with Japan (through Gatoh Move initially, SETUP also has/had links with DDT and TJPW through Gatoh Move as well) so there's something there.

China is a waste of time and money to invest in at this point but I get why they are included; biggest country in the region, lots of potential money, plus also if you're making an SEA play including China publicly is probably helpful. No one has made it work though - EVOLVE tried touring and that didn't work; OWE was a failure in terms of building up fan interest in China and resulted in the company relocated to Cambodia (where it also failed and apparently all of the trainees were miserable and had no money); CIMA left it high and dry when GLEAT became his next thing.

The interesting absence is South Korea but I genuinely don't know if there's a reason for that - historical enmity between Japan and Korea might be a factor but it'd be a weird one (lots of links between Puro and Korea historically); it also might be that WWE has more of a hold on the market and its been difficult to find a partner there.

I heard about Middle Kingdom Wrestling from China, not sure if it's still alive though. In the Philippines there are about 3 active promotions (Manila Wrestling Federation, Filipino Pro Wrestling, and World Underground Wrestling Philippines), just not that established enough to be formally partnering overseas (except WUW PH, which does book talent from other WUW branches).

in Singapore I knew about SPW and Grapplemax, but there's also Ring of Rebirth which is different? anyway the DG vs SG All-Stars show had wrestlers from those promotions.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Middle Kingdom Wrestling is still around and a guy I went to highschool with actually wrestles for them, which is pretty cool.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Didn't know Pumi was the guy who did Gatoh Move commentary pre-pandemic, I knew he was involved with Gatoh Move in Thailand to some extent but I did wonder where he'd vanished to. Makes sense.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Didn't know Pumi was the guy who did Gatoh Move commentary pre-pandemic, I knew he was involved with Gatoh Move in Thailand to some extent but I did wonder where he'd vanished to. Makes sense.

Way more than some extent, I've been trying to work out the Gatoh Move founding timeline and it goes something like this:

August 28, 2011
Pumi makes an announcement on DDS that he'll be commentating Ice Ribbon shows on Thai (internet?) tv
https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/prime-time-ice-ribbon/

October 12, 2011
In an interview with Tsukasa Fujimoto, Ice Ribbon Thailand is mentioned
https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/tsukasa-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview/

December 15, 2011
Emi announces that she is leaving Ice Ribbon for personal reasons
https://twitter.com/IceRibbonEurope/status/146957572497350656

January 7, 2012
Emi has her final match in Ice Ribbon

January 31, 2012
Emi is in Thailand with Pumi
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/3577504

February 1st, 2012
Emi films Pumi commentating on Ice Ribbon
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/3588874

February 3rd, 2012
Emi goes back to Japan
https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/165305602992652289

February 10, 2012
Pumi makes hints towards a big announcement and starting a new organisation
https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/167849189999517696

February 12, 2012
Emi announces the creation of Bangkok Girls Pro Wrestling at a JWP show
https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/168572755044876288

February 21, 2012
Emi challenges Kaori Yoneyama in JWP to a match where if she wins Kaori joins her in Thailand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8Pj3TBH88

March 3, 2012
Emi starts a Bangkok Girls Pro Wrestling twitter account in English and Thai
https://twitter.com/SakuraBKK

March 6, 2012
What is commonly regarded as the proto Gatoh Move match is held between Emi and Masa in park in Thailand
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/3928414

March 7, 2012
Pumi films and commentates the second Thai match in a hotel pool and gym
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/3937679

March 8, 2012
The third Thai match, this time in public in broad daylight
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/3947586

April 4, 2012
Emi's last post on the Bangkok Girls Pro Wrestling account

April 5, 2012
Kaori arrives in Thailand
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/4265957

April 10, 2012
Fourth Thai match between Masa and Emi this time on a beach
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/4322867

April 11, 2012
Fifth Thai match between Masa and Emi
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/4334638

April 20, 2012
This article by Pumi is published on Bangkok Girls Pro Wrestling
https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/emi-sakura-bangkok-girls-pro-wrestling-interview/

May 14, 2012
First footage of Emi and Kaori's wrestling classes in Thailand
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/4715704

May 16, 2012
The Gatoh Move is first officially announced
https://twitcasting.tv/emisakura_gtmv/movie/4739716

May 16, 2012
First Gatoh Move match is between Emi and Kaori Yoneyama in Thailand
https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/202834248061812736

May 23rd, 2012
Second Gatoh Move match between Emi and Kaori in Thailand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9K68XnWG38

June 16th, 2012
First Gatoh Move Show in Tokyo as listed by Cagematch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey all, just your annual reminder that the Top Ten Active Wrestlers for 2023 Thread is now up and this is a great way to try and get the word out about puro wrestlers you love who might not get as much attention as others, if you feel like making a list!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looking forward to once again being the only person with Kazuki Hirata on their list :negative:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy poo poo, go out of your way to see Shingo vs Mochizuki. That ruled.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

lol Z-Brats’ new gaijin is literally just a junior sized Bruiser Brody. Do enjoy him rampaging over all the ringside young boys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

lol Z-Brats’ new gaijin is literally just a junior sized Bruiser Brody.

Malta's top pro wrestler Gianni Valletta? Yeah, he was honestly real bad in All Japan pre-COVID & I was happy he never came back. not a loving clue why DG have added him. Say what you will for CIMA, he certainly has a better eye for foreign talent than whoever Ok'd this (is it Ultimo?)

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

He beat punch in two moves so it’s hard to judge him on this alone. I’m not putting too much hope in a guy so all in on cosplaying a dude from 40 years ago.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Bonk posted:

Holy poo poo, go out of your way to see Shingo vs Mochizuki. That ruled.

Just finished the Korakuen and have to agree. My favorite match of the year so far. Mochizuki is 54 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hey all, just your annual reminder that the Top Ten Active Wrestlers for 2023 Thread is now up and this is a great way to try and get the word out about puro wrestlers you love who might not get as much attention as others, if you feel like making a list!

Y'all should post here, end this unsightly AEW hegemony of mediocrity.

Vote Kento & Yuma!

Watching 5/1 DDT & nice to see that Masada is no longer wearing Mike Quackenbush style garbage bag gear