Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dubbed Fist of the Northstar movie on YT (unless it gets taken down lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxl0dICRna4

Interestingly this is the old Streamline dub over the Japanese version of the movie (no English title or credits, also wrong movie in the thumbnail lol) not gotten far enough to see if it has the full ending or the incomplete one used for the dub version.

I have insane nostalgia for this but had forgotten how utterly weird a movie it was. It really ramps up the mysticism and 'Kenshiro as the messiah' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Heart of madness! Oh oh. I never stop listening to 80s jrock/metal

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's premiering in 45 hours but of possible interest the Anime on TMS channel is going to show Lupin the 3rd: Green vs. Red: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETBL2K91KU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Dubbed Fist of the Northstar movie on YT (unless it gets taken down lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxl0dICRna4

Interestingly this is the old Streamline dub over the Japanese version of the movie (no English title or credits, also wrong movie in the thumbnail lol) not gotten far enough to see if it has the full ending or the incomplete one used for the dub version.

I have insane nostalgia for this but had forgotten how utterly weird a movie it was. It really ramps up the mysticism and 'Kenshiro as the messiah' stuff.

The original dub is ridiculous because the actual voice cast is decent, but the script goes out of its way to avoid any sort of faithful adaptation lol, it never explains what the gently caress hokuto shinken is (IIRC the Japanese version has a short monologue over Ken shaving off his beard and streamline decided to just leave it silent)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

The original dub is ridiculous because the actual voice cast is decent, but the script goes out of its way to avoid any sort of faithful adaptation lol, it never explains what the gently caress hokuto shinken is (IIRC the Japanese version has a short monologue over Ken shaving off his beard and streamline decided to just leave it silent)

That reminds me that one of the actors who worked on the Dragon Maid show is seven years later still getting poo poo for how her adapted line mentions the patriarchy - that she didn't even write - and then I look at this stuff and imagine how the old days of localization would just make these kids wilt. (It's not about dub accuracy and it never was.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Streamline was very much in to trying to westernise anime as much as possible, it was founded by Carl Macek lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Carl Macek did a long, in-depth interview about his career and the stuff he worked on and the industry in general some years ago, and he sounded super reasonable and down-to-earth and appeared to be completely unfazed by the hate he got over time lol

Can't remember what anime site it was, it was something like a decade ago, but it's worth a listen into how robotech took off and how streamline landed other licenses and went out of their way to avoid others

He also completely shits over ADV and how their businesses and studios were run

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is pretty funny. ADV is the titular company of this thread too, Carl is throwing down!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ADV is about the only company from that time that still exists to some extent in the modern day.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Viz is still around and they're older than ADV!

While a lot of what Carl did for dubs wouldn't fly today it made sense in the 80's if you were trying to get the biggest audience possible. Just wish Streamline would of done more subbed releases but IIRC Carl at the time said that should be left to fansubbers which I'm sure had no ramifications at all on the future of the industry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arc Hammer posted:

ADV is about the only company from that time that still exists to some extent in the modern day.

AnimEigo is sort of still around, they just only do one Kickstarter bluray of stuff they owned years ago every 5 years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

AnimEigo is sort of still around, they just only do one Kickstarter bluray of stuff they owned years ago every 5 years.

Apparently their Bubblegum Crisis re-release was really good? I didn't know about it until it was too late.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently their Bubblegum Crisis re-release was really good? I didn't know about it until it was too late.
can confirm that the new HD blu-ray transfers are fantastic. i haven’t opened my AnimEgo box set tho since only console casuals have blu-ray players

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not a drill:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1744571047025021059

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Put your glasses on, nothing will be wrong!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sakurazuka posted:

Streamline was very much in to trying to westernise anime as much as possible, it was founded by Carl Macek lol
One wonders what would have happened to anime in the U.S. if Robotech: The Sentinels had been a full show. Streamline brought some bangers over, and pursuing the teen/young adult market definitely made anime hip.

We are very much spoiled by the speed at which we get subs but also an increase in overall knowledge and professionalism in the translation industry, and the concept of respecting the original work by giving it a faithful adaptation. But I think that's kind of built on the back of shoddy/loose dubs creating a sense that the originals were some kind of hidden truth, or just plain different enough to be their own thing.

Even something as relatively benign as "don't re-record the OP with power metal" was kind of a major cultural shift with anime brought over to the states.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FilthyImp posted:

Even something as relatively benign as "don't re-record the OP with power metal" was kind of a major cultural shift with anime brought over to the states.

I could use some examples of that! Sounds righteous.

Plus anime OPs were often pretty metal to begin with. I remember the pretty faithful redubbed Kenshin OP/EDs and stuff like that.

I do know some anime movies that replaced the soundtrack with US rock and metal songs, SF and DBZ.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 9, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A lot of the early UK dubs tended to replace the opening with either metal songs or Dance songs and those dubs would filter over via US Manga corps and eventually Manga Video itself. The original Dominion Tank Police was an example of this

It didn't take long for Streamline to have competition on the market with companies doing subs though, US renditions and Central Park Media started up in 90 and Animeigo and ADV joined soon afterwards. Plus fansubs were around in the big anime markets via clubs and universities and were an openly welcome part of the market so it's not like subs were hard to find.

Not to mention the next big anime hit for the home video market would kinda of force the issues of faitful adaptations more than any other show up to that point. Akira and Bubblegum Crisis? yeah they're set in Japan but are futuristic enough you can work around things for dubs (Not that they did for BGC mind you). But Ranma 1/2? You really can't ignore Japanese culture in it and you can tell Viz really struggled with it and did some missteps but it being a hit really brought that debate front and center

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool. I think the dub version of Tank Police is what I rented, totally forgot about that OP. Both versions are pretty danceable. For Ranma I mainly went with the manga, but great songs in that anime for sure. Anime history is good stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

We are very much spoiled by the speed at which we get subs but also an increase in overall knowledge and professionalism in the translation industry, and the concept of respecting the original work by giving it a faithful adaptation. But I think that's kind of built on the back of shoddy/loose dubs creating a sense that the originals were some kind of hidden truth, or just plain different enough to be their own thing.

Yeah, it's wild that people to this day complain about a single line in the Dragon Maid show. Now in this specific case it's really not about holistic devotion to the source material, it used the word 'patriarchy' and was done by a wommin and thus the wailing and gnashing of teeth by an entire buffet of idiots but even so they give off the impression that these delicate hothouse flowers would not have survived 80's and 90's animu translation.

Anyway, the KMFDM song when Chun-Li fought Vega was really cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel a lot of current day gnashing about English subtitling and dubbing is carried by people who heard about the looser scripts from the 80s and 90s without ever actually experiencing it firsthand. The Carl Macek years were before my time so I can't speak to them but I went through the 90s kids anime boom like everyone else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you want the good anime replacement opening theme songs, you've got to go to Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nbjCsuzl-8&t=948s

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My absolute favorite are the english versions of the Mazinger Z intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3g-d5BO1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83alfFK0fo

Koji can
swim in the sky
He can fly beneath the sea
In his
robot man
Maaaaaa zinger Zeeeeeeeee

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't realise this was a big thing I've had the UK bluray set for a couple of years.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't realise this was a big thing I've had the UK bluray set for a couple of years.

Is this a version of the show worth checking out if I've never seen berserk? I know about it but never sat down to watch anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the best of the three (and a half) Berserk anime adaptations by a wide margin.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

It's the best of the three (and a half) Berserk anime adaptations by a wide margin.

Why are the other adaptations bad, just out of curiosity?

I think most fans agree the Golden Age is the best or nearly the best arc in Berserk, but man does it give you a totally, completely different vibe from what Berserk is mostly about. I love the OG anime but a good anime that dips into the Fantasy Horror that is 90% of the manga be nice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Golden Age films aren't bad but they are a condensed version of the arc with more emphasis on action over characterization. The memorial edition is a recut of the films into TV episodes with a lot of touch ups to the 10 year old CGI and another reunion for the dub cast.

2016 Berserk is just awful CGI across the board with poor acting and scripts to match.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Arc Hammer posted:

I was going to say Sentai FIlmworks became HI-DIVE, but just remembered that Sentai Filmworks was an ADV offshoot originally

Losing Rightstuf recently was so big too bc we lost Nozomi Entertainment :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this a version of the show worth checking out if I've never seen berserk? I know about it but never sat down to watch anything.

It's very budget looking in places, even for a show from 1998, but nails the atmosphere a magnitude better than any other adaptation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Berserk 97 is Cheap but it is not lazy. They have a noticeably shoestring animation budget and they do the best they can with it. That means a lot of panning over still frames and lingering shots but dammit they'll be the prettiest looking still shots they can paint.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I have rips from the Japanese HD release from a long rear end time ago. It was completely unacceptable that it went unreleased here for so long, just completely bizarre how this thing just languished out of print

In terms of how it stacks up against other adaptations:

Arc Hammer posted:

Berserk 97 is Cheap but it is not lazy.

Puts it best. The staff/directors were skilled in where they chose to utilize extra motion and detail and it makes the 2016 series even more pathetic by comparison

The movies are mediocre and the changes range from trivial to completely bizarre (e.g. how the Guts-Boscogn dual ends makes absolutely no sense and I'm going to always be annoyed by it lmao)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was going to say Sentai FIlmworks became HI-DIVE, but just remembered that Sentai Filmworks was an ADV offshoot originally

I remember hearing they went with Sentai at the time to avoid having to pay on stuff ADV owed but that could just be ancient forum gossip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also ADV so it's probably true.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah ADV's fall is super messy financial wise that it's not shocking Sentai split off on it's own with not ties despite being really the same company. And why you'll see some odd releases with ADV still on it from a few years back

Viz is still around and just recently released Yashahime on BD!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

I remember hearing they went with Sentai at the time to avoid having to pay on stuff ADV owed but that could just be ancient forum gossip.

Completely true. ADV had entered some partnerships where a couple of Japanese companies obtained an ownership stake in exchange for funding and licensing, and when those relationships went sour they lost all those licenses (this is why there's an unreleased Gurren Lagann ADV dub that had a few episodes recovered a few years ago) but were still part owned by those people. So the ADV people launched a bunch of companies, sold ADVs assets to them then left ADV's corpse to die and the Japanese partners with empty hands.

Of the multiple sub companies the one that handled Sentai's anime distribution was called "Section 23" which happened to be the part of the tax code in their home state that let them pull off the whole maneuver so they weren't going for subtlety.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
kind of a shame that ADV went tits up just a few
months/years before all the zoomers got huge into anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ADV's 'just license everything no matter how lovely' policy would have worked well if they'd lasted into the streaming era, less so when you had to give it DVD release.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

ADV's 'just license everything no matter how lovely' policy would have worked well if they'd lasted into the streaming era, less so when you had to give it DVD release.

I often wonder about this. How dos Funimation or whoever make money? I haven't bought a bluray of, say, MHA at all, I've just watched it on their site for 5 years, paying maybe $7 or something a month. Same with hundreds upon hundreds of episodes of One Piece. Just seems like it must be such a steep revenue decline from the days when people had to buy physical releases.

Granted, piracy is so common, maybe they still make out with more money with cheap streaming services than they used to when it was physical releases and nothing else. I dunno, hence the question.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I imagine they're getting some form of revenue from merchandise sales and video games of their license properties. ( At least for Funimation) Though probably not for older stuff unless it's like Dragonball or something.

Which reminds me, RIP Z store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAbHFE0S_s

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 11, 2024