Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XPK01Z

I own it, used it several times. Been very handy in a few instances, mostly for shaving things down to fit. I tried using it to flatten a 2x4 bench and it did not work very well. May have been user error.

Power planes are wonderful machines when you need them but the word 'plane' is misleading because they really don't act like planes. They are more like very short, 3 1/2" wide jointers and they don't tend to do well IME when whatever you are cutting is wider than their blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:getin:

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Power planes are wonderful machines when you need them but the word 'plane' is misleading because they really don't act like planes. They are more like very short, 3 1/2" wide jointers and they don't tend to do well IME when whatever you are cutting is wider than their blade.

They are the tool of choice for sizing/trimming down doors, and also useful for fixing bowed studs in high end framing. Beyond that, their utility is limited IMHO. But if you are a carpenter or handyman who hangs or fixes doors, a power planer will pay for itself after the first or second use

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I forget where it was, but I've seen people use a power planer to do the rough flattening of glued up assemblies like table tops. Traversing with a jack plane basically, except powered.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Just Winging It posted:

I forget where it was, but I've seen people use a power planer to do the rough flattening of glued up assemblies like table tops. Traversing with a jack plane basically, except powered.

Scrub plane is what you meant. This video has it in use not one minute in: https://youtu.be/VvV9Qd_CbU4

Guy's videos are awesome. loving face jointed that board like a boss with that makita power plane.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's the video I was thinking of, but when I said jack plane, I meant exactly that. Scrub planes are a tad too narrow and short for my liking when it comes to flattening rough sawn boards or assemblies.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thought I'd eventually become a Ryobi cheapskate but Makita's going after my lazy heart:

(this might be old hat, I just learned about it today)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just Winging It posted:

Ishitani does this and so do I.

E. Fukken beaten

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Trabant posted:

Thought I'd eventually become a Ryobi cheapskate but Makita's going after my lazy heart:

(this might be old hat, I just learned about it today)

makita makes the best gimmick tools (that are pretty much exclusively for collectors, although I guess a rugged battery microwave can be pretty useful if you camp. The $150 coffee maker is pretty much a gimmick IMO, although looking online they make it in classic red and blue for the collector scum and also an Outdoor Adventure(TM) army green version marketed explicitly at campers and collector scum. If you really want to make coffee using a Makita tool and make actually good coffee, go for the $220 water kettle and pourover/press that poo poo)

Edit: that microwave is $900 :stare:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 5, 2024

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And it only delivers 500 Watts, when most residential microwaves are twice that powerful. You'd spend forever microwaving your lunch and burn through so many batteries.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Its also 500w, which is absolutely pathetic for a microwave oven

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, I'm not saying it's good.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
YouTube chef/kitchen gadget tester Barry Lewis tried it out and unsurprisingly from the specs, it's not good

https://youtu.be/it28suKdVyc?si=YrRII6yUuOIuWdEi

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Squibbles posted:

YouTube chef/kitchen gadget tester Barry Lewis tried it out and unsurprisingly from the specs, it's not good

https://youtu.be/it28suKdVyc?si=YrRII6yUuOIuWdEi

I skimmed that video and it seemed like he was happy with the results to me? Why would you expect full power out of a portable microwave? Just leave it in longer, the timer goes up to 20 minutes so it doesn't sound like that's not within its capabilities and if you're at a remote site its still probably faster to cook your pie for 10 minutes instead of the usual 5 than to drive somewhere. Seems super niche but... fine, really, for what it is, though any job site probably has a little 2kw generator already you could run a $100 micro off.

Believe it or not you can actually buy a 500 watts micro for use in the home too, not that I'd recommend it. My current house had a 20 year old "built-in" style microwave that was 500 watts, smallest micro I've ever seen. I'm sure it was terrible but I wouldn't really know since it was broken when we bought the place, and while replacements are still evidently made and sold they're stupidly expensive for such a crappy(non-cordless) unit.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 5, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i imagine the gimmick tools only exist so their sales team has something to gift people around the holidays

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Elem7 posted:

I skimmed that video and it seemed like he was happy with the results to me? Why would you expect full power out of a portable microwave? Just leave it in longer, the timer goes up to 20 minutes so it doesn't sound like that's not within its capabilities and if you're at a remote site its still probably faster to cook your pie for 10 minutes instead of the usual 5 than to drive somewhere. Seems super niche but... fine, really, for what it is, though any job site probably has a little 2kw generator already you could run a $100 micro off.

Believe it or not you can actually buy a 500 watts micro for use in the home too, not that I'd recommend it. My current house had a 20 year old "built-in" style microwave that was 500 watts, smallest micro I've ever seen. I'm sure it was terrible but I wouldn't really know since it was broken when we bought the place, and while replacements are still evidently made and sold they're stupidly expensive for such a crappy(non-cordless) unit.

If you have a company truck there should be an inverter installed in it, if its not big enough to run your microwave or toaster oven you tell the shop that your test equipment keeps tripping it off or something. I'd bet more than half of the work trucks out there have at least a microwave behind one of the doors on the utility body. Based on cost I'd call the cordless microwave a gimmick, an inverter generator or one of those solar battery packs and a microwave are a lot cheaper and wont suck two 8ah batteries down to make a bag of popcorn.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Elem7 posted:

Hmm been a while since I watched it but I thought his conclusion was that it wasn't exactly useful. Like just use a thermos to keep most things warm that the microwave would be capable of warming up or something

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Talked my wife into a table saw upgrade. Any personal input on the sawstop jobsite pro?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
What is this plastic piece of junk that came with the cheap soldering iron I just bought? I'm about to throw it out but I thought I should check first. It doesn't fit the set screw that holds the tip in and I can't see a use for it. Anyone know?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s for poking and prodding.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dead Pressed posted:

Talked my wife into a table saw upgrade. Any personal input on the sawstop jobsite pro?
How many fingers did you lose to win that argument?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Vim Fuego posted:

What is this plastic piece of junk that came with the cheap soldering iron I just bought? I'm about to throw it out but I thought I should check first. It doesn't fit the set screw that holds the tip in and I can't see a use for it. Anyone know?

It could be an alignment tool of some type. Is there any hex on it?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Top G posted:

They are the tool of choice for sizing/trimming down doors, and also useful for fixing bowed studs in high end framing. Beyond that, their utility is limited IMHO. But if you are a carpenter or handyman who hangs or fixes doors, a power planer will pay for itself after the first or second use

When I was a door hanger, we used one to bevel the swing side of the door maybe 5° so the inner edge won't catch the jamb. Then pre-hungs became mostly the thing, except for solid core ext doors.
I can't see using one to fix a bowed stud over, say a joiner plane since the bed is so short.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Using the powerplane for unintended purposes is its purpose! :stoked:

*eyes overgrown grass in the backyard*

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Is it a soldering iron with a separate base? If so, is it a tool for adjusting a potentiometer inside of it to manually calibrate the temperature?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

kid sinister posted:

It could be an alignment tool of some type. Is there any hex on it?

Wait, this isn't the D&D thread...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tool adjacent question!

My garage is insulated, but, Wisconsin winters, so it still gets a bit nippy in there. Any recs/tips for staying warm?

I layer up and do have an old, janky but functional, space heater courtesy of my PO but it takes a long time..

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I'm not one to question Norm but..................is this as terrifying to everyone else as it is to me? Or are these totally normal to use and fine?

Fast forwarded to the adjustable wobble dado blade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Q78z7luTw&t=1616s

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Tool adjacent question!

My garage is insulated, but, Wisconsin winters, so it still gets a bit nippy in there. Any recs/tips for staying warm?

I layer up and do have an old, janky but functional, space heater courtesy of my PO but it takes a long time..

If you have 220 in there, install an electric heater.

Hell, if you don't have 220 in there, get 220 installed along with the heater. It's such a difference.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hell, if you don't have 220 in there, get 220 installed along with the heater. It's such a difference.

This. Or if you have natural gas you could go that route. It's a pretty easy process.

Otherwise you're probably looking at one of those propane heaters (https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-LPC200DG-Liquid-Propane-Convection/dp/B00K8H8840/?th=1) if you want to throw some heat out in a short amount of time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bob Mundon posted:

I'm not one to question Norm but..................is this as terrifying to everyone else as it is to me? Or are these totally normal to use and fine?

I don't think they're particularly unsafe (compared to a dado stack) but they leave a radius on the bottom of the dado, so they've fallen out of favor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

They are old school. I've only used one once and it was a single blade, not a two-blade one like norm shows. I don't recall it really feeling much scarier than a stacked dado. The biggest issue is they are a pain to set up and they don't make a perfectly flat bottomed groove. With a stacked dado you can measure the thickness of all he chippers/shims blades and pretty much get what you want and, if you use the same chippers and shims, have a reliably repeatable setup. Wobble dados you rotate a dial and it's a bit harder to dial in and not reliably repeatable between setups.

This is a decent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKbeaKnOnk

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

This. Or if you have natural gas you could go that route. It's a pretty easy process.

Otherwise you're probably looking at one of those propane heaters (https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-LPC200DG-Liquid-Propane-Convection/dp/B00K8H8840/?th=1) if you want to throw some heat out in a short amount of time.

Those are exceptionally expensive to run for most people in most areas unless you have an LP tank on your house and can plumb into it. It's cheaper to run a diesel heater, even if you don't have oil heat in your house. Either way you're going to the gas station for more fuel. In the case of the LP heater you're paying $28 or more for an underfilled tank swap out (320k BTUs if all the way full) and for the diesel one you're filling your own 5 gal can for $20 (647k BTUs).

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C7BS72QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

Those are exceptionally expensive to run for most people in most areas unless you have an LP tank on your house and can plumb into it. It's cheaper to run a diesel heater, even if you don't have oil heat in your house. Either way you're going to the gas station for more fuel. In the case of the LP heater you're paying $28 or more for an underfilled tank swap out (320k BTUs if all the way full) and for the diesel one you're filling your own 5 gal can for $20 (647k BTUs).

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C7BS72QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never said it was cheap but they will heat up a garage in no time. It's also a lot cheaper to go have your tank filled than doing those swaps.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh poo poo we did upgrade to 220! Any heater recs?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo we did upgrade to 220! Any heater recs?

I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXEZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 and have no complaints.

My garage is a 2-car walkout, so a decent size but never gets below freezing ambient. I only use the heater when I'm in the garage (which is also my shop and my workout room), and it's usually only on for 10-15 mins before it's warm enough to turn it off again for the duration of my stay.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have spent so much on CLAMPS

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I am glad I found this thread!

Going to need to pick up a table saw here soon for a few projects. Hoping to get a halfway decent one for under $300. I thought I could get a decent one cheap used but theyre all either huge gently caress off size full time woodshop size, or rusted old cast iron ones with no parts or vacuum hook ups.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am glad I found this thread!

Going to need to pick up a table saw here soon for a few projects. Hoping to get a halfway decent one for under $300. I thought I could get a decent one cheap used but theyre all either huge gently caress off size full time woodshop size, or rusted old cast iron ones with no parts or vacuum hook ups.

Not sure on the exact price in the US but the Rigid jobsite saw worked quite well for me for a few years before I moved to a bigger cabinet saw. The fence was pretty good and accurate right out of the box with no setup required and overall it worked well for everything I asked of it. I think the aluminum table wasn't dead flat but it was good enough for all the woodworking I did while I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vim Fuego posted:

I have spent so much on CLAMPS

It's been stated before but the optimum number of clamps for any project is n+1 clamps.