Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

Both halves of Gojo should regenerate into two smaller gojos

Go full Evil Dead where the two mini Gojos are just obnoxious twerps harassing Sukuna like a looney tunes short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Nobara is probably dead but it does feel like the missing 20th finger is almost too perfectly setting up for her to hit a big resonance in a couple chapters to critically weaken Sukuna since the executioner sword probably isn’t going to work for some reason. That one feels more plausible than gojo coming back at this point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JahRoo posted:

Nobara is probably dead but it does feel like the missing 20th finger is almost too perfectly setting up for her to hit a big resonance in a couple chapters to critically weaken Sukuna since the executioner sword probably isn’t going to work for some reason. That one feels more plausible than gojo coming back at this point.

Neither of them are coming back unless Gojo shows up for a couple chapters as a ghost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I still stand by my feeling that "Yuji eats the last finger and then dies with Sukuna, surrounded by the people he loves" feels like the most likely outcome for the character.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Nobara's coming back as a cursed corpse grizzly bear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Where even is Panda these days? I legitimately can't remember.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

I thought he died. Is Panda alive?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I thought he died. Is Panda alive?

The last I recall he got two cores destroyed and decapitated but was explicitly still alive since Kashimo got no points for his death.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We saw that Panda had become a chibi version of himself at the end of the Kashimo v Hakari fight. I don't think he's been seen since

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

We saw that Panda had become a chibi version of himself at the end of the Kashimo v Hakari fight. I don't think he's been seen since

Oh right, that happened. Well, I will assume he went off to be a marketable mascot for a convenience store.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
he's been in one or two group shots post gojo release, where he's a lil baby again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ImpAtom posted:

Uggghh the Panda thing, to me, illustrates a major narrative problem with JJK. I'm waiting in the airport for my partner to land so gonna Post Hard on this:

Note: i am using "written out of the narrative" and "dying" as the same device here; some people don't technically die but they no longer matter in the story. I would argue that they are effectively the same thing.

Anyways! Media like Game of Thrones made it clear that you can kill important characters and use the resulting drama to further the overall narrative and create powerful moments. The crucial point here is that you are trading the audience's enjoyment of that character to achieve specific narrative ends. It's not a free transaction; something must be gained, other objectives furthered, or you're just hurting your own story.

This is where Gege often fails. He is mediocre at making those deaths matter in the moment; they tend to be anti-climactic. They're not all bad, see Todo's "a clap is an exclamation of the soul" that poo poo is hype as gently caress and I literally cheered in real life when I first read that in the manga. But for every good example, you have 2-3 others that land flat on their face.

Even worse though. he often fails to use the death of a character to further the overall narrative, which makes the deaths seem cheap and hollow, and readers respond by checking out mentally. They know that most characters will probably die and that death probably won't mean much either.

It's buck wild to me that Gege went out of his way, for example, to give Panda a really cool backstory and emotional mini-arc with his sibling cursed corpses/ his 3 souls. That arc was great, hit hard emotionally (imo) and came at a crucial time in the story where so many characters were killed and it was clear that we needed something like this to begin replacing all of the lost beloved characters we had in Shibuya.

Panda's character had a new level of depth and it made me hopeful that we would regain a sense of narrative cohesion that I felt was largely absend post-Shibuya.

What does Gege do? He uses Panda as a whipping boy to show how strong Kashimo was, which was so weird! There are so many ways to establish the power level of a character that does not involve banishing one of the only remaining fan favorite characters to the Shadow Realm. I mean, poo poo, couldn't Panda at least have a cool fight instead of the no-diff trash one that we got? What was the point of deeply characterizing Panda if he's just gonna go turn into a nonsense chibi character?

Of course this gets even weirder when you consider that Kashimo, after being built up himself by his interaction with Panda and his excellent fight with Hakari, is completely loving no-diffed by Sukuna for, again, zero narrative payoff whatsoever. There was no care to be had there; Gege needed to end Kashimo's narrative arc, so that he could end the manga, so he did.

It reinforces the general narrative that Gege, if he could have, would have called it quits like 100 chapters ago :shrug:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He's been around, last in the auditorium when they discussed Higuruma going after Kashimo.

He was already out of his league before, and with two cores destroyed he's presumably lost a good chunk of his previous fighting prowess on top. IIRC Gege acknowledged in a Q&A that without his siblings Panda has lost the foundation of what made him a fully autonomous cursed corpse, and how that plays out for him will remain to be seen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Conspiratiorist posted:

He's been around, last in the auditorium when they discussed Higuruma going after Kashimo.

He was already out of his league before, and with two cores destroyed he's presumably lost a good chunk of his previous fighting prowess on top. IIRC Gege acknowledged in a Q&A that without his siblings Panda has lost the foundation of what made him a fully autonomous cursed corpse, and how that plays out for him will remain to be seen.

I don't think Taima is saying they aren't around, they just don't mean anything anymore. Like he's not talking about the mechanics of the in-universe life of Panda but Panda as a character in the manga narrative. Yea Chibi-Panda is around, but relegated to showing up in an occasional panel and no longer relevant to the plot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Wasn't replying to the big post

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have faith that Inumaki will show up, use one spell, then bleed out of his mouth and pass out as usual.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I have faith that Inumaki will show up, use one spell, then bleed out of his mouth and pass out as usual.

don't be silly, he'll use two before that happens. first one is the oh poo poo it's happening moment the other is the oh poo poo he hosed up moment

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Where is Todo anyway? Like I cannot be arsed to go read back to see if he somehow died but I'm pretty sure he survived Shibuya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Where is Todo anyway? Like I cannot be arsed to go read back to see if he somehow died but I'm pretty sure he survived Shibuya.

He survived but his Cursed Technique was destroyed and he lost his hand and he hasn't really come up since. At the moment he fits pretty comfortably in the niche of "not dead but basically dead" but he could show up for some last minute cool thing about as easily as Nobara could.

Edit: I originally wrote that he lost both hands but he actually lost one hand and the soul of his other hand got transmuted so that is what killed the technique.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 4, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EDIT: i forgot he lost both hands. Thats nasty.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Taima posted:

Uggghh the Panda thing, to me, illustrates a major narrative problem with JJK. I'm waiting in the airport for my partner to land so gonna Post Hard on this:
If you see Gojo, tell him he let us all down.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

This is where Gege often fails. He is mediocre at making those deaths matter in the moment; they tend to be anti-climactic. They're not all bad, see Todo's "a clap is an exclamation of the soul" that poo poo is hype as gently caress and I literally cheered in real life when I first read that in the manga. But for every good example, you have 2-3 others that land flat on their face.

Todo is such an Anomaly in this manga that if we learn that someone ghostwritted him I wouldn't be surprised. That dude delivers 120% every freaking time he appears. And the anime adaptation did him right.

That locket scene is my favorite anime scene of the year by a mile. It's such a good punchline.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gege is too afraid to have Todo learn to clap with his rear end cheeks and become an unstoppable murder twerkbeast

Just saying, imagine todo doing the craziest bussdown you've ever seen on top of some skyscraper allowing Yuji to speed blitz Sukuna for some soul damage. It's peak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Gege is too afraid to have Todo learn to clap with his rear end cheeks and become an unstoppable murder twerkbeast

Just saying, imagine todo doing the craziest bussdown you've ever seen on top of some skyscraper allowing Yuji to speed blitz Sukuna for some soul damage. It's peak.

I would forgive ever bit of writing issues I had with the series if the ending was just Todo twerking nonstop until Sukuna died.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

I still stand by my feeling that "Yuji eats the last finger and then dies with Sukuna, surrounded by the people he loves" feels like the most likely outcome for the character.

I think the one problem with this is uh, as many people as Gege has been killing off, WOULD he be surrounded by people he loves or is even close to anymore?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think the one problem with this is uh, as many people as Gege has been killing off, WOULD he be surrounded by people he loves or is even close to anymore?

... poo poo.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lol that'd be one hell of a twist. Self-sacrificial to a fault, by sheer chance he survived long enough to die surrounded by people he hardly recognizes anymore. This acts as the final catalyst for the omega cursed spirit that uses all of Japan together and fights Sukuna in the real final fight

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes we literally just saw that happen to gojo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes we literally just saw that happen to gojo.

And Nobara won't be at the bus station with spirit Yuji further confusing us on what the hell is going on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Yuji was thinking more like being surrounded on his deathbed by living people and not the afterlife waiting room with all of his friends who got totally owned

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The mental image of Todo just clapping cheeks in the background as Sukuna is swarmed by everyone like ants taking out a roach is just....goddamn, what a masterpiece this series would be

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taima posted:

I think the main problem in JJK is that there's just a fundamental issue in the writing that leads to a disjointed feeling in the narrative. I can remember various things happening, but I have trouble remembering the sequence of events that took place and how they were all connected.

I remember Maki fought the samurai dude and sumo guy a while back. How did she get from there to where she is now? I can't remember. Maybe I'd remember if I thought about it for a few minutes, but that's the whole problem.

I still like JJK a lot (and more than most other shounen I've read) just because I like the core details, but there are definitely issues in its writing that I think come down to just basic "skill at constructing and executing a narrative."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

The mental image of Todo just clapping cheeks in the background as Sukuna is swarmed by everyone like ants taking out a roach is just....goddamn, what a masterpiece this series would be

And then you enter Todo VisionTM and see what he is thinking while it's happening

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I remember Maki fought the samurai dude and sumo guy a while back. How did she get from there to where she is now? I can't remember. Maybe I'd remember if I thought about it for a few minutes, but that's the whole problem.

They teamed up actually

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
all i want out of the anime is for them to do for hakari what they did for todo (if they even make it that far)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The anime is going to make Hakari and all time highlight. Old man screams at cloud pachinko.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I want Hakari to be the most seizure inducing episodes ever. sorry to those who can't enjoy it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

I think the main problem in JJK is that there's just a fundamental issue in the writing that leads to a disjointed feeling in the narrative. I can remember various things happening, but I have trouble remembering the sequence of events that took place and how they were all connected.

I still like JJK a lot (and more than most other shounen I've read) just because I like the core details, but there are definitely issues in its writing that I think come down to just basic "skill at constructing and executing a narrative."

There are a whole lot of problems with JJK at this point, the disjointed writing is really the tip of the iceberg. I'm basically hate reading it at this point, because outside of individual fights like Takaba vs Kenjaku, I don't think I like almost anything that's happened since the end of Shibuya.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know it a classic tradition of the genre but we need to end the culture of hate-reading battle shonen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know it a classic tradition of the genre but we need to end the culture of hate-reading battle shonen

It's weird, I think JJK post-Shibuya is genuinely terrible, but I'm too invested in it to stop reading it. I don't know if it's just the sunk cost fallacy or what.