Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BrianBoitano posted:

If I have an aluminum pan with a pizza in it, edge to edge, can I put it on the stove top to crisp the crust? I assume it's liable to warp but if my pans aren't precious and the pan is totally filled, might this work?

Like a sheet pan? Because this exactly called for in a Serious Eats sheet pan recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/sheet-pan-chicken-potato-fennel-gratin-dinner

It's also a pretty decent recipe. Done it a few times and my pan is no worse for wear. The pan warps, of course, but not much more than what it occasionally does in the oven on its own, and it returns to shape when it cools. Probably wouldn't use your favorite cookie sheet for it, but if you have a workhorse sheet pan for roasting stuff it'll be fine.

edit:

Alternatively, adapt the recipe to a couple fry pans to make it easier. Kenji's pan pizza recipe utilizes the burners to crisp the crust:

https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

The video seems like borderline torture when they force the Italian-raised cook make this recipe.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the best way to slice fresh loaves and freeze them? My previous loaf was delicious, but upon slicing and freezing (after letting it cool for an hour), it basically froze into one solid block and was a pain to separate the slices.

I've got two about to come out of the oven and want to know how I can properly freeze them without them suffering the same fate.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Qubee posted:

What's the best way to slice fresh loaves and freeze them? My previous loaf was delicious, but upon slicing and freezing (after letting it cool for an hour), it basically froze into one solid block and was a pain to separate the slices.

I've got two about to come out of the oven and want to know how I can properly freeze them without them suffering the same fate.

Coat both sides of each slice in a thick layer of butter before freezing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can also put little slices of wax/parchment paper between your slices. No problem reusing those between loaves

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Coat both sides of each slice in a thick layer of butter before freezing.

Whilst this does sound appealing

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

You can also put little slices of wax/parchment paper between your slices. No problem reusing those between loaves

I think my gut will appreciate me going with this option lol

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've never had that problem. We sit our bread on the counter a day to make sure it's cool and there's no excess moisture. Then no problem of sticking together. This is rustic stuff so maybe softer breads stick more?

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I think I would get an oven rack as far down in your oven as possible then just crank the oven and let it cook for a few minutes. It should light up from the bottom. Sort of like a reverse broil. As long as the oven temp is set high it should be popping off down there to heat up. Unlike a broiler you won't be able to see your progress so be a lil conservative with it

Hmm this is annoying to do on ours since we put in a rolling rack on the second to bottom position, which blocks the bottom position.

I'll try the stove top and hope it doesn't warp too bad.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

We sir our bread on the counter

M'loaf

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:facepalm:

just lol if you don't knight your bread. Why do you think it's called King Arthur flour hmmmmm?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The Internet is fairly unclear, so can anyone tell me where to get the spicy red stuff they put in a corner of your ramen bowl at the fancy places?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can you give us any hints? Is it a liquid, a solid, or a paste? Is it chunky or fine?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Human Tornada posted:

Can you give us any hints? Is it a liquid, a solid, or a paste? Is it chunky or fine?

Um...it's kind of a thick liquid. It thins out when you stir it in. This is the place I'm thinking of, specifically.

Just looking for something similar.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that hoisin?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
That particular color looks like hoisin sauce, but hoisin isn't really spicy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I'm just curious if the base sauce is hoisin and they're adding other stuff to it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's not really like hoisin sauce. There's not any noticable sweetness.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I was gifted a container of Gochujang for x-mas, but I have no idea what to use it with. I also got Japanese BBQ sauce and some really good chili crisp, but those I understand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a form of ra-yu but none of us are going to be able to tell you how that place makes theirs, unfortunately. Good ramen shops often come up with their own recipes for the components, it's not a standardized thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It sounds like a custom job. If I wanted to reverse engineer it I would start by mixing shichimi into a batch of various thick sauces. Or thickened broth if their description sounds like.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

CzarChasm posted:

I was gifted a container of Gochujang for x-mas, but I have no idea what to use it with. I also got Japanese BBQ sauce and some really good chili crisp, but those I understand.

If you've never had it you're in for a treat. I don't know how I made it to my late 30s without ever having Bibimbap, but I finally had it at a Korean restaurant around 6 months ago and I fell in love with the gochujang sauce.

So bibimbap is the easy answer. Or just make the bibimbap sauce and put it on chicken/veggies/rice.

I've made Kenji's bibimbap and it's good enough for me:

https://www.seriouseats.com/bibimbap

Not restaurant quality, but good enough. It's a bit of work to make it as the recipe says, but bibimbap is a leftover magnet recipe so whatever you have works.

Someone ITT linked me this cauliflower recipe a while ago and it's really tasty:

https://sarahscucinabella.com/2020/03/24/spicy-roasted-cauliflower-with-gochujang/

I've used the sauce to coat chicken and it works just fine... basically used it on cauliflower and chicken (treated the chicken similarly... roasted for a while until near done, then coated in sauce and finished it), sauteed some mushrooms in toasted sesame oil and finished with soy sauce, and then piled it all on rice and it was really good.

edit:

Kenji also has this gochujang wing sauce I've been meaning to try, but I haven't got around to it yet so I can't really vouch for it:

https://www.seriouseats.com/sweet-and-spicy-chili-sauce-korean-fried-chicken-recipe

I'm sure it goes best on properly done Korean fried chicken, but I would guess any chicken application would work just fine.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 7, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

About how many pounds of meat are normally in 4 lbs of head-on shrimp with the shells? I'm not 100% sure what size the shrimp are; let's say medium or large.

I'm getting ready to make shrimp gumbo with head-on shrimp for the first time and I wanna know how much to buy.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 7, 2024

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is there ever a reason to go with whole milk buttermilk instead of the low fat kind?

I've always been under the impression that the low fat is the standard for recipes and whatnot. But sometimes I'll see whole milk buttermilk in the store.

Is the whole milk version a better option for any/all applications? Or should I stick with the low fat?

Typically I use it for either pancakes or cornbread, and that's about it, but I've been thinking about trying to make southern fried chicken lately.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

I. M. Gei posted:

About how many pounds of meat are normally in 4 lbs of head-on shrimp with the shells? I'm not 100% sure what size the shrimp are; let's say medium or large.

I'm getting ready to make shrimp gumbo with head-on shrimp for the first time and I wanna know how much to buy.

Shrimp shells and heads are extremely lightweight. Buy four pounds of whole shrimp and expect the amount of meat to be a little less but not enough to really matter.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i agree it probably doesn't matter for making a gumbo at home but i see people citing roughly 1/3 weight loss due to heads and that sounds like the right ballpark to me. the tails are more trivial

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

eke out posted:

i agree it probably doesn't matter for making a gumbo at home but i see people citing roughly 1/3 weight loss due to heads and that sounds like the right ballpark to me. the tails are more trivial

So if I say between about 1/4 and 1/3 weight loss from shells and heads, then that's around 2.67 to 3 lbs of meat per 4-lb bag?

How many pounds of heads and shells do I need to make about 3 or 4 quarts of shrimp stock?

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Does anyone here have experience with cooking whole pheasants? I have one and I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking of cooking it in a dutch oven with a bunch of beef fat, garlic, and onion, but I'm worried that might overpower the flavor of the bird. I've cooked breast filets before with varying success (french herbs good, deep fried in uppma powder less so) but never the whole bird.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Does anyone here have experience with cooking whole pheasants? I have one and I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking of cooking it in a dutch oven with a bunch of beef fat, garlic, and onion, but I'm worried that might overpower the flavor of the bird. I've cooked breast filets before with varying success (french herbs good, deep fried in uppma powder less so) but never the whole bird.

I did it like cornish game hen but I suck at cooking those and I had an edible not great bird.

I'd probably do a simple wet brine and then fill with onion/lemon/garlic chunks and obvs salt and pepper? Coat the outside with bacon fat or bacon?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It cooked more like turkey than chicken

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

So if I say between about 1/4 and 1/3 weight loss from shells and heads, then that's around 2.67 to 3 lbs of meat per 4-lb bag?

How many pounds of heads and shells do I need to make about 3 or 4 quarts of shrimp stock?

4lb of whole shrimp should give you around 3-4qts of stock imo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

That Works posted:

4lb of whole shrimp should give you around 3-4qts of stock imo

yeah i think four pounds is plenty for both meat and stock in a gumbo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like my gumbo meaty, so I like to add about 5 or 6 lbs of meat, usually either all shrimp, all crawfish, or a mix of both.

If I get two 4-lb bags of shrimp then I can freeze the heads and shells from one bag and use them for something else later. Or I can get one bag and add crawfish or peeled shrimp.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got given a brace of pheasants a few years ago, and I broke them down and made a terrine. It was incredibly delicious, and a good low risk way to cook them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I like my gumbo meaty, so I like to add about 5 or 6 lbs of meat, usually either all shrimp, all crawfish, or a mix of both.

If I get two 4-lb bags of shrimp then I can freeze the heads and shells from one bag and use them for something else later. Or I can get one bag and add crawfish or peeled shrimp.

Out of interest how many servings is this. I don't think I've ever put 6lbs of meat into anything. But then if you're serving like 20 people it's not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

It depends on how long it's been hung really. If it's relatively fresh, the meat will be a little more subtle; hung for a while you'll need to subdue it.

Brown the pheasant in a hot pan, then wrap it in fatty bacon and cook it in a really hot oven until it's crispy on the outside and the meat is pink. Serve with watercress, game chips, bread sauce and pan juices. Game chips are basically fresh waffle cut potato chips, bread sauce is white bread, butter, whole milk with bay leaves, pepper, mace and allspice. The pan can be deglazed with alcohol, whiskey or vin santo are both good, and jacked up with some demi glace and beurre manie.

Choose smoked bacon for a well hung bird, maybe add some pearl onions to the pan sauce .

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Torquemada posted:

It depends on how long it's been hung really. If it's relatively fresh, the meat will be a little more subtle; hung for a while you'll need to subdue it.

Brown the pheasant in a hot pan, then wrap it in fatty bacon and cook it in a really hot oven until it's crispy on the outside and the meat is pink. Serve with watercress, game chips, bread sauce and pan juices. Game chips are basically fresh waffle cut potato chips, bread sauce is white bread, butter, whole milk with bay leaves, pepper, mace and allspice. The pan can be deglazed with alcohol, whiskey or vin santo are both good, and jacked up with some demi glace and beurre manie.

Choose smoked bacon for a well hung bird, maybe add some pearl onions to the pan sauce .

What manuscript is this translated out of?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ha, this is how I cook pheasant for my wife (she likes it hung for as long as possible and it smells disgusting when it's in the oven).

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
if I pack overnight oats soaked in kefir for breakfast, will an hour's commute turn the screw-lid container into a bomb? :gas:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's fine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

if I pack overnight oats soaked in kefir for breakfast, will an hour's commute turn the screw-lid container into a bomb? :gas:

i've never had this happen with using kefir in protein shakes (which i presume has a lot more free sugars/etc available to digest than actual oats do)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iirc that particular type of fermentation isn't producing much if any CO2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
okay, tyvm