Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Black Leopard, Red Wolf has a gay male protagonist, but I'm not sure I could call Tracker and Leopard's relationship a romance (although I still haven't read Moon Witch, Spider King yet so maybe things take a turn in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My main source of Intel about good, queer SFF is Elias over at Bar Cart Bookshelf, I think he's made it his life's mission to cheerlead for every gay book he can get his hands on. He's responsible for me reading Spear Cuts Through Water, and is basically a constant flow of solid recs.

I don't know if he exclusively talks about queer books, but I know he's really vocal about M/M, and I'm willing to give anything he praises a shot.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I got excited and wrote up a giant wall of text reviewing one of my favorite books:

Michelle Sagara's Cast in Shadow

I read this whole post and just ordered the first book in paperback (because I read hard copy) and if you're right about how good the series is, your recommendation will end up occupying a whole shelf in my house.

I'm not saying not to post like that again, but please pace yourself. The local store I got my last set of bookcases from has gone out of business.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I remember is that there aren't as many dragons as you'd want. It was mostly focused on fantasy politics, and in a lot of ways the dragons aren't characters or monsters, but rather a resource for the countries to dicker over.

Dang. I was really hoping for more dragons.

dwarf74 posted:

I looked into it recently but it is apparently pretty goddamn rapey! I read it many years ago but have decided not to revisit it.

Here's a snippet of what you're in for, per a Goodreads review.
Snip:YIKES.

Ok, I will... just stay the course and continue to admire the Whelan covers only. Thanks for the heads up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well Legends and Lattes was a loving delightful light read. It felt a lot like some of Ursula Vernon/T.Kingfisher's works except cozier and more overtly drawing on DnD convention than generalized fairy tales.

There is nothing at all complex or thought-provoking and I still had a great time reading it curled up under blankets on a snowy day.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

VostokProgram posted:

I can't say I have a good explanation, but I have noticed the same thing. Where's scifi Jean Genet???

It's no Genet - which is definitely a gap - but Kai Ashante Wilson's Sorcerer of the Wildeeps is a good one and The Taste of Honey is explicitly a M/M romance that joyfully turns some stuff on its head. He doesn't seem to have anything out all that recently though.

Hal Duncan's also worth a look, though again he hasn't published anything in nearly a decade... Ink isn't bad and Susurrus on Mars is a lovely SF novella about two stupid young dudes in love on Mars.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

GhastlyBizness posted:

Hal Duncan's also worth a look, though again he hasn't published anything in nearly a decade... Ink isn't bad and Susurrus on Mars is a lovely SF novella about two stupid young dudes in love on Mars.

I'm only a couple of pages into Susurrus and I'll already happily second the recommendation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For gay male SFF, Mark Gatiss (yes, of Sherlock and other TV fame) has a trilogy of spy novels (Vesuvius Club, Devil in Amber, Black Butterfly) that are softly steampunk/magical/spy-fi. The main character is a bisexual Edwardian male spy who has sex with both men and women.

Also not quite what's asked for but I'll also mention Hell Followed with Us by Andrew Joseph White, a sort of post-apocalyptic cult novel whose main character is a trans man who has sex with a cis male.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

There’s pretty central gay romance in the Archive Undying, Everina Maxwell’s scifi series, Witchmark (the first book—the next two switch pov but the first book’s characters still have a role)…

And yeah, I’m having a bit of trouble thinking of others that have actually been published because me and a few people in my writing group have written central gay characters without toxic masculinity issues, but getting them published… :negative:

It does feel like books with lesbian characters are having a big moment right now while their male counterparts are kinda being left to the side only getting passing notice

Off the top of my head, you can add at least one of Ursula Vernon's Saint of Steel books, Yoon Ha Lee's Hexarchate 3.5ilogy, and Klune's Cerulean Sea to the pile.

I definitely read more books with lesbians in them but that's because I am personally biased towards them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Narsham posted:

I read this whole post and just ordered the first book in paperback (because I read hard copy) and if you're right about how good the series is, your recommendation will end up occupying a whole shelf in my house.

I'm not saying not to post like that again, but please pace yourself. The local store I got my last set of bookcases from has gone out of business.

I feel this post so much

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Richard Morgan's A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy has three protagonists. One of them is a gay man, one is a gay woman, one is a hetero man. Unfortunately it's a setting where being gay is definitely frowned upon, so while there's representation there, I can't say readers will find it comforting. Great books, though, absolutely mad. I am gonzo over the sword whose full name is practically a poem.

quote:

I am Welcomed in the Home of Ravens and Other Scavengers in the Wake of Warriors. I am Friend to Carrion Crows and Wolves. I am Carry Me and Kill with Me, and Die with Me Where the Road Ends. I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come, I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave.

You can call it the Ravensfriend for short.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’ve enjoyed Morgan’s stuff, but for a guy who writes body-swapping transhuman fiction to be a TERF is pretty unforgivable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Velius posted:

I’ve enjoyed Morgan’s stuff, but for a guy who writes body-swapping transhuman fiction to be a TERF is pretty unforgivable.

I wasn't aware that he was a TERF but it looks confirmed. Damnit. Milkshake ducked again.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The anger in Market Forces was so pervasive, so baked in to the protagonist's world, that I found myself feeling a sort of general global anger myself, by the time I finished it. If that's his anger leaking out, he's not the first person who found punching down to be an easier outlet than punching up. Not that "I was angry" excuses anything. Quite the opposite, really.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Velius posted:

Altered Carbon pretty clearly presents the sleeves and stacks as a horrifying and dehumanizing technology.

But dude shouldn't be a TERF regardless of how he feels about (further) turning human bodies into disposable commodities.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Richard Morgan's A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy has three protagonists. One of them is a gay man, one is a gay woman, one is a hetero man. Unfortunately it's a setting where being gay is definitely frowned upon, so while there's representation there, I can't say readers will find it comforting. Great books, though, absolutely mad. I am gonzo over the sword whose full name is practically a poem.

If we're reaching back to stuff that wasn't published recently, we can also add the Silence Leah trilogy (Melissa Scott), a bunch of Bard Bloom's work, and some stuff by Mercedes Lackey, again just off the top of my head without actually looking at my shelves -- but I thought Remulak et al were specifically discussing recent trends in SFF.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Chairman Capone posted:

For gay male SFF, Mark Gatiss (yes, of Sherlock and other TV fame) has a trilogy of spy novels (Vesuvius Club, Devil in Amber, Black Butterfly) that are softly steampunk/magical/spy-fi. The main character is a bisexual Edwardian male spy who has sex with both men and women.

This is absolutely my poo poo so thank you for the rec!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh yeah Amberlough (I have not yet read the sequels) is also very much in that vein. It's not really magic at all? But it's alternate world Weimer glitz spy thriller kind of stuff, and very much gay mail protagonist.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ugh, disappointing that Richard Morgan is a bigot, I was also going to recommend that series.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

habeasdorkus posted:

Ugh, disappointing that Richard Morgan is a bigot, I was also going to recommend that series.

You still can, through the magic of libraries and :filez:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Kestral posted:

You still can, through the magic of libraries and :filez:

Or buying used books!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They're not worth recommending even if you ignore his TERFiness, the world-building is entirely nonsensical.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm 40% through House of Open Wounds, and by drat Tchaikovsky is on fire with this one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm reminded both of LeGuin's statement "it is easier to imagine the end.of the world than the end of capitalism" and the lines in Disco Elysium about how capitalism absorbs and commodifies all critiques of itself.

I don't think that was LeGuin. I think it's generally attributed to either Zizek or Jameson, and sometimes Mark Fisher. Gesturing vaguely at my title, but I inadvertently named a character 'Mark Fisher' in Shadow and no one's ever picked up on the reference.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Altered Carbon was pretty good but everything else is kinda aggressively meh. Even the WE BUILT THE MEANEST POSSIBLE HUMAN FROM THE EDITED DNA TO MAKE THE PERFECT BLAH BLAH BLAH only for it to just be a black guy. That felt like a swing and a miss. When GI Joe does something better than you as a kids cartoon, that should be a sign.

Was the fantasy the one where the gay dude has faerie sex with an elf and whoops missed a duel and the most loved cousin(or something, can't recall) is now dead because I was getting my hams splashed?

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
I loved Altered Carbon, I was twenty, it took my newfound love of noir(particularly Chandler at the time) and put it in a blender with my favorite genre since before I could read.

At the time I was hoping Land Fit for Heroes was just gonna be him pulling off the same trick with fantasy, and I still kind of wish it was. I ended up having fun with the trilogy, I remember almost nothing about it except parts reminded me of Morrowind which is no bad thing.

I used to read his blog back when the internet wasn't quite so. . . centralized and some Altered Carbon stan sent him some hate mail after he hit the first gay scene in The Steel Remains and Morgan went off on him, just absolutely read him for filth, told him he didn't need his money or his fandom. It seemed refreshing.

Then right around the time Rowling showed her rear end he jumped right up there too and well gently caress TERFs so gently caress him. I'll never understand it.

Anyways the second Planetfall book by Emma Newman, After Atlas is a loving fantastic sci fi mystery. I've been lurking in this thread a while and I don't recall that book/series coming up. If anybody's got recommendations for anything like that I'd gladly take em.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I don't remember adding it but I just noticed one of the Kindle books on my Amazon wishlist is now completely free. Seems to be worldwide.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cryopunk-Stephen-Willis-ebook/dp/B08R99HR8B

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Altered Carbon was pretty good but everything else is kinda aggressively meh. Even the WE BUILT THE MEANEST POSSIBLE HUMAN FROM THE EDITED DNA TO MAKE THE PERFECT BLAH BLAH BLAH only for it to just be a black guy. That felt like a swing and a miss. When GI Joe does something better than you as a kids cartoon, that should be a sign.

Was the fantasy the one where the gay dude has faerie sex with an elf and whoops missed a duel and the most loved cousin(or something, can't recall) is now dead because I was getting my hams splashed?

Altered Carbon was good, but all the other books are pretty much the same, only slightly worse. You don't actually have to roll an intimidate check in every dialogue for all POV characters. That was finally what got me to drop his fantasy series. The multiple POV characters just made it really obvious how little range there was.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Amberlough is high on the interwar glitz and cabaret scene, but I'd say very light on any actual spying or underworld dealings.

The final third was really good, but the first two seemed quite aimless and never really established whether / why not-the-Nazis were a threat (except that as the audience you know who they're standing in for and that it's the 1930s).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

Amberlough is high on the interwar glitz and cabaret scene, but I'd say very light on any actual spying or underworld dealings.

The final third was really good, but the first two seemed quite aimless and never really established whether / why not-the-Nazis were a threat (except that as the audience you know who they're standing in for and that it's the 1930s).

Interesting, how has the author managed to signal that they're not-nazis without revealing something that shows that they're an in-universe threat? That seems like a very specific failure.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I haven't finished the series yet, but to its credit the Baru Cormorant books does give some space to the idea that trying to change systems from the inside is a doomed premise, and that this promise is just one way empire subsumes and coopts critical voices and revolutionary energy.

Of course, there's the implication that Baru Cormorant might succeed regardless because she's just that gifted, or because her position, evidence to the contrary, is morally superior somehow. That would be a terribly "lib-brained" ending to be sure.

I am almost halfway through the third book and it has become a bit of a slog. I feel like the story and character arc has completed and we should be wrapping things up, but the repetition of story beats seems to be some sort of device. I am curious how it will stick the landing, but if it turns out to be "what if Kissinger was a lesbian of color" I will be annoyed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Strategic Tea posted:

Good to know that I'm in for an eh second book but a great third book, I guess! I thought there was enough spying, but I also don't need a huge amount for it to land. No Declare, for sure, or actual Le Carre.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Interesting, how has the author managed to signal that they're not-nazis without revealing something that shows that they're an in-universe threat? That seems like a very specific failure.

So they're very obviously the nazis but no one in the extremely queer cabaret scene seems to give a drat about their growing influence. One of the protagonists works in an intelligence office where everyone talks about how they have no popular support and the status quo is secure.

The only supporters we see are a street preacher and some industrialists from the hinterlands who are introduced as bankrupt and begging for finance. I don't think we're shown them doing a single thing to threaten or intimidate until the last third of the book when they get elected anyway.

I don't think the author was going for dramatic irony though because the spy protagonist permanently flips to work for them on being told "no we're gonna win the election and things will be very bad for you if you don't cooperate". So he's clearly appropriately scared, but it never comes across in his narration otherwise.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 7, 2024

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Never got past the first few chapters of
Amberlough but is that perhaps a deliberate choice of atmosphere? “It could never happen here” and “I don’t know anyone who voted for Nixon” sort of thing and then boom, nazis.

I could easily see a book written by an American author in 2017 taking that angle, that the characters are just oblivious (which would also fit with the pop culture stereotype of Weimar German as glitzy, gay, inward-looking and doomed).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Crashbee posted:

I don't remember adding it but I just noticed one of the Kindle books on my Amazon wishlist is now completely free. Seems to be worldwide.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cryopunk-Stephen-Willis-ebook/dp/B08R99HR8B

bizarrely, this came through as being ordered from Amazon Fresh. wonder if there's some tax shenanigans going on or something?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished She Who Became The Sun Top 10 Anime Betrayals.

Really well written, vivid and loud characters, everyone has beef and clear motivations, simple politics, everyone is gay for everyone else, plot is creative and takes turns I didn't expect.

But ultimately the constant betrayals left me cold because everyone does it constantly. Along with everyone constantly struggling with melodramatic internal turmoil made it a bit operatic for my taste.

Great book would recommend.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

algebra testes posted:

Great book would recommend.

Now get onto the sequel, He Who Drowned the World!

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

algebra testes posted:

ohh buddy I hope you read the second one lmao (it's really good)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kind of a random question but I recently reread Eye in the Sky by Dick, and I'm also thinking I'll reread Sphere which is always gonna be my favorite Crichton novel. Putting these two thoughts together, I think I have a weakness for "the fraility of the human mind manifesting into reality and nearly killing everyone" stories.

Can anybody recommend me stuff like that? "Eye" and Sphere have nothing in common besides roughly that so really, anything where circumstances lead to neurotic people being given realty warping abilities is what I'm after.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of a random question but I recently reread Eye in the Sky by Dick, and I'm also thinking I'll reread Sphere which is always gonna be my favorite Crichton novel. Putting these two thoughts together, I think I have a weakness for "the fraility of the human mind manifesting into reality and nearly killing everyone" stories.

Can anybody recommend me stuff like that? "Eye" and Sphere have nothing in common besides roughly that so really, anything where circumstances lead to neurotic people being given realty warping abilities is what I'm after.

Solaris by Stanislav Lem is considered the prime example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I also just finished She Who Became the Sun.

I've ordered the sequel, and got partway reading through the real Zhu's wikipedia page before realising I should probably stop because it was full of spoilers (I know very little chinese history)