Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh man, those insane 5-on-5 Russian warehouse fights, I forgot about those :allears: An old roommate found them on YouTube and showed them to me and we spent several sleepless nights hooting and hollering

This in turn makes me think of a clip from Russia where a guy slides down a muddy hill and dropkick the crap outta some poor guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

And now let's hold it in the middle of an abandoned Discovery Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qBIXjXw7c

This sent me down a youtube rabbit hole... I had no idea there were so many weird and crazy Russian MMA fights.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

And at the other end of the wtf scale there’s those 1v1 in a phone booth/front seat of a car promotions

X-ARM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAJ2GUzWz8

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

lol, I'd love to see the official rules for this.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Grey posted:

This sent me down a youtube rabbit hole... I had no idea there were so many weird and crazy Russian MMA fights.

The football hooligan forest brawl videos were getting popular and they realized that doing the same stuff in a tv studio would be a lot less hassle and possibly profitable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Grey posted:

lol, I'd love to see the official rules for this.

In Mother Russia, rules break you!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The Grey posted:

My particular favorite was fully armored medieval fighting with swords and axes

loving insane

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Taxman posted:

My particular favorite was fully armored medieval fighting with swords and axes

loving insane

Well that happens in the US as well.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1744013012866843128

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Grey posted:

Not really a wrestling question, but has there ever been a shoot MMA style tag team match?

If it did happen, Akira Maeda probably would've been involved.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CM Punk is 100% to blame for being fired from AEW, right? Does anybody defend him except Jim Cornette and his fans? Is there any ground to defend him?

I don't watch AEW, I just remember seeing the Observer videos on it when it happened. He choked out one wrestler and attacked Tony Khan, right? Maybe he was mistreated? I dunno. It's just th recent Jericho stuff got me wondering if AEW has backstage issues, big time ones. I just always thought Punk was a total shithead and fully to blame.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody really knows for sure and you will get a different answer from just about anyone depending on which flavour of PDS they’re afflicted with.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the most you could say is TK should have been a better manager of the situation, either through reigning in punk or doing more to squash the beef with him & his perceived enemies in the california cabal. It's all Punk being Punk otherwise, though

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
people happy to have him back in WWE blame AEW 's backstage/TK for Punk's actions but i haven't really seen them deny his actions

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

people happy to have him back in WWE blame AEW 's backstage/TK for Punk's actions but i haven't really seen them deny his actions

That’s true and something I hadn’t really thought about before. They all had this sentiment of “that poo poo wouldn’t happen here” but nobody said that he didn’t or wouldn’t do the things he has reportedly done.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

CM Punk is 100% to blame for being fired from AEW, right? Does anybody defend him except Jim Cornette and his fans? Is there any ground to defend him?

I don't watch AEW, I just remember seeing the Observer videos on it when it happened. He choked out one wrestler and attacked Tony Khan, right? Maybe he was mistreated? I dunno. It's just th recent Jericho stuff got me wondering if AEW has backstage issues, big time ones. I just always thought Punk was a total shithead and fully to blame.

I blame Punk, but I've seen people online claim AEW is to blame because people were able to get under his skin so easily. Also because the Elite didn't want to "do business" by rewarding the guy who publicly poo poo on them and started a fight that dinged their momentum.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
WWE is for people who will defend absolutely any horrible actions up to and including doing shows for a regime who chopped up a legal American resident journalist and threw him away in a garbage bag

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Ganso Bomb posted:

That’s true and something I hadn’t really thought about before. They all had this sentiment of “that poo poo wouldn’t happen here” but nobody said that he didn’t or wouldn’t do the things he has reportedly done.

yeah i think the only thing ultimately keeping Punk from behaving the exact same way again, the "that poo poo wouldn't happen here" clause isn't that he's learned from his mistakes or that WWE runs a tighter ship but rather the boss at his new job isn't a huge fan who is also under pressure from above to keep him around. so i guess there's something to be said for it, but it's better phrased as Punk being very childish and treating AEW like some indie with no choice but to humor his behavior.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i also fully expect him to have some even funnier breakdown within the next year or two tho probably not in as funny of a venue or way as the muffin scrum

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
personally i blame the dog

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's funny how even the stories that were leaked to the press from Punk's side generally made him look bad.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Punk probably should have been fired after Brawl Out, so I get why people would put some of the blame on TK for being a fan when he should have been a boss, so to speak, but really no one observing or endlessly relitigating the situation online was doing so in good faith so who knows. The whole thing is depressing to think about in retrospect.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean you can say he was justified in getting annoyed at the “workers rights” comment by Hangman and at the suspected rumour-mongering about his hiring being the reason Colt vanished but I don’t understand how anyone can argue his response was in any way proportional. In any case, he was then given his own show and main event angle and yet he flew off the handle during AEW’s biggest show in its history at yet another relatively innocuous comment. Punk wasn’t entirely to blame but at the end of the day he was the one who went scorched earth at a post-pape presser and also decided to fight Jungle Jack backstage. Nobody forced him to do those things.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Dimebags Brain posted:

Kzy spent years in Dragon Gate as the resident loss post for the heel unit until he joined Dia.hearts and started building himself up there and after the unit disbanded. His push up the card coincided with Tozawa leaving and he was able to be slotted almost seamlessly into Tozawa's old position on the card.

Late reply! I love Kzy and Tozawa, I knew Kzy worked his way up the card but I don't know the details much, this is really nice... and now he's kinda fallen down from the ME spot again as the younger generation gets pushed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

I mean you can say he was justified in getting annoyed at the “workers rights” comment by Hangman and at the suspected rumour-mongering about his hiring being the reason Colt vanished but I don’t understand how anyone can argue his response was in any way proportional. In any case, he was then given his own show and main event angle and yet he flew off the handle during AEW’s biggest show in its history at yet another relatively innocuous comment. Punk wasn’t entirely to blame but at the end of the day he was the one who went scorched earth at a post-pape presser and also decided to fight Jungle Jack backstage. Nobody forced him to do those things.

Yeah, getting Punk getting Phil & Phriends on Saturdays feels like it shows Tony was bending over backwards to try and placate him but nothing was going to work.

Whenever I think about Punk now I think about him being pretty new on ECW and telling the champion at the time RVD that "hey, I'm holding a meeting in ten but don't worry, it's not about you."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Seams posted:

at the suspected rumour-mongering about his hiring being the reason Colt vanished

The thing that gets me about this is that anyone who knew their history and has two brain cells could easily guess that this is why Colt went away. The idea that someone must have talked to the dirt sheets to put this idea out into the world is just dumb.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

The thing that gets me about this is that anyone who knew their history and has two brain cells could easily guess that this is why Colt went away. The idea that someone must have talked to the dirt sheets to put this idea out into the world is just dumb.

In his rant at the scrum Punk said he didn't understand why anyone would think he had anything to do with it and then went on a rant about how much of a bad human colt cabana was and how he wanted to do with his account sharing rear end. He gave all the reasons his boss might keep colt away from him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Punk is that guy you worked with in your late teens/early twenties that was constantly all "You got a loving problem?" and he just never grew out of it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I still don’t know what the account sharing thing was meant to tell us about him.

I think something that tells us even more about him is I don’t think he’s ever said anything about Punk since their suit was settled.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Brian Zane/Wrestling With Wregret's summation video on the situation is very good and nuanced, explaining in depth the situation and understanding the various points of failure all around it. Tony should have ran a tighter ship and the Elite shouldn't have done some snide shots, but Punk's reactions were far beyond the pale.

The final straw comes from Punk not just grappling with Jack Perry but specifically grappling with Jack Perry in a place that has heavy and expensive production equipment including monitors and boards, around middle-aged-and-older non-wrestlers just trying to do their jobs. I've worked in TV, radio, and live event production and the idea of a scuffle breaking out in a room like that gets me nervous even without knowing the exact precarious layout of it all.

It was a pressure cooker situation that shouldn't have been allowed to bubble up like it did but at the same time there absolutely was a guy in the center of it making the worst possible choices at the worst possible times.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Brian Zane/Wrestling With Wregret's summation video on the situation is very good and nuanced, explaining in depth the situation and understanding the various points of failure all around it. Tony should have ran a tighter ship and the Elite shouldn't have done some snide shots, but Punk's reactions were far beyond the pale.

The final straw comes from Punk not just grappling with Jack Perry but specifically grappling with Jack Perry in a place that has heavy and expensive production equipment including monitors and boards, around middle-aged-and-older non-wrestlers just trying to do their jobs. I've worked in TV, radio, and live event production and the idea of a scuffle breaking out in a room like that gets me nervous even without knowing the exact precarious layout of it all.

It was a pressure cooker situation that shouldn't have been allowed to bubble up like it did but at the same time there absolutely was a guy in the center of it making the worst possible choices at the worst possible times.

I was enjoying that video all the way up until the end. The way he framed it made it seem like losing Punk to WWE was a fumble on AEW's part and the reason why WWE is doing 10k shows all the time and AEW is having trouble filling their seats. He used pictures of the hard camera side at an AEW event as evidence. That one seemed detached from reality and using shots in bad faith.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

I still don’t know what the account sharing thing was meant to tell us about him.

I think something that tells us even more about him is I don’t think he’s ever said anything about Punk since their suit was settled.

The best I figured is it was implying that Colt is dependent on his mother, which, if anything, it's the opposite?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I share an account w my mom so I can pay for her hospital bills with said account if she becomes incapacitated.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

apophenium posted:

I share an account w my mom so I can pay for her hospital bills with said account if she becomes incapacitated.

I'm angrily eating a muffin while reading this post

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shard posted:

In his rant at the scrum Punk said he didn't understand why anyone would think he had anything to do with it and then went on a rant about how much of a bad human colt cabana was and how he wanted to do with his account sharing rear end. He gave all the reasons his boss might keep colt away from him.

One of my favorite little touches about the whole Punk AEW run was how things started to snowball because people suggested he was the reason somebody wasn't at shows anymore and it offended him.

Then in his final days, he was literally sending people home.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Shard posted:

I was enjoying that video all the way up until the end. The way he framed it made it seem like losing Punk to WWE was a fumble on AEW's part and the reason why WWE is doing 10k shows all the time and AEW is having trouble filling their seats. He used pictures of the hard camera side at an AEW event as evidence. That one seemed detached from reality and using shots in bad faith.

The part I really disagreed with was that AEW was leaving so much money on the table by not forcing a Punk/Elite feud. Because yeah, Shawn and Bret had a good match at Survivor Series until the screwjob blew everything up, but that's not the part I'd be worried about. It's the TV leading up to that feud where you had episode plotlines like "DX framed the Hart Foundation for being massively racist" where both sides just kind of hate each other in a way that's uncomfortable to watch.

The wrestling community has been in a carny "everything must be turned into an angle or you're leaving money on the table" mindset for decades, and at some point you need to admit something would just make things really awkward and the views you get without doing it are still fine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shard posted:

I was enjoying that video all the way up until the end. The way he framed it made it seem like losing Punk to WWE was a fumble on AEW's part and the reason why WWE is doing 10k shows all the time and AEW is having trouble filling their seats.

I've never understood why CM Punk of all people gets treated like some sort of humongous draw. Certainly right after the pipe bomb if WWE didn't fumble his run, and certainly if wwe strapped a rocket to him instead of putting him on ECW right after coming off his indy run he'd be some sort of huge draw, but by 2022 what even is a CM Punk besides a nostalgia act for the worst era of WWE at worst and an extremely competent talker at best for WWE, and for AEW what does he do that having Kenny "By God" Omega, Mox, and Jericho don't already do, besides being insanely over in chicago.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He tells it like it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember in PSP we watched some Italian Calcio Historico. It's football with fewer rules, which sounds brutal and dangerous, but mostly leads to a bunch of guys just squaring off without doing anything or lying in heaps without a ref breaking things up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

There was a thought that the initial All In was in Chicago so that Punk would be on the card, and when he wasn't it allowed Colt to be in the pre-show battle royale. Even after that, Colt wasn't one of AEW's initial signings with the potential idea that they would bring in Punk; when Colt finally showed up the immediate general consensus was that AEW wasn't going to be bringing in Punk after all.

I can't remember when, but after Punk did join there was one Dynamite where both were on the same show, and after that Colt didn't appear on Dynamite again until one of Punk's extended absenses.

No one had to leak poo poo to anyone; everyone put 2 and 2 together and realized that these two people weren't going to be in the same locker room.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Everyone managed to do the wrong thing afterwards, but Tony's lack of leadership still stands out. I don't believe the notion that the booker/promoter has to rule with an iron fist, but they do need the ability to command authority and demand respect when necessary and it's not in Tony's nature to do this. It's why Andrade thinks he can smack Sammy and believe he can get his way, and why Perry thought he could do what he wanted and get away with it.

Say what you want about Vince, but he absolutely would have gotten all parties involved in the same room and nipped this poo poo in the bud. Maybe you make money off of this, maybe you don't, but unless you were Shawn Michaels in '97 you weren't going to go on TV and make any reference to this without it being approved beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bro how can you say Vince would have 100% nipped it in the bud and then in the same sentence reference an incredibly high profile example of a time he didnt do that