Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'll cowards don't even have a dungeon in your house.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MonsieurChoc posted:

I do not know who Viper is.

He's here to vash and vipe your vindows

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

huh

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jan 8, 2024

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mawarannahr posted:

Some will be welcoming the year of the dragon but this is really gonna be the year of the viper
https://twitter.com/RapperViper/status/1743071642031366558

for those who watched bet uncut back in the day knows there is only one black Jesus

https://youtu.be/xEHTpzqdPOs?si=B-lBYpetiSHbG_2M

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Viper Black Jesus or Viper - Black Jesus?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Peggy Hill, Ronald Reagan, and Bob Marley have the same birthday

Birthdays are meaningless

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Helluva posted:

Viper Black Jesus or Viper - Black Jesus?

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

You'll Cowards Won't Even Solo Mid

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

not sure how to find where I fall on this political alignment chart

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Was the whole “rich jerk buys the park/apartment/rec center/library we have to stop him!” plot that was so omnipresent in the 80’s and early 90’s an expression of the death of the American urban area? Usually you think about white flight, such as exemplified by the “Urban Crimepocolypse” genre but the “evils of real estate development” movies portray it more like people were unwillingly exiled from the cities.

I think it was mostly that people hated yuppies. Whether country club types or the stereotypical Manhattan/California rich. And ya there’s crossover with landlords and developers.

Even if they’re not selling the orphanage they operate contrary to small town values, think they know better than everyone, and stick out like a sore thumb. See Clark’s neighbours in Christmas Vacation, Lydia’s parents in Beetlejuice, etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh poo poo I know him, Mandalore talked about him in one of his crazy stories.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

my bony fealty posted:

There's this trend of vague anti-wealthy, eat the rich, wow aren't rich people hosed up, horror movies and they all suck loving rear end and have nothing to say. Pure vapid nonsense. Infinity Pool, The Menu, Glass Onion, etc. Western cinema is trying to ape Parasite and failing miserably at it.

Agreed. One perceptive review of Saltburn noted that it's a film by a rich person on how rich people are kinda hosed up but it's not their fault.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

galagazombie posted:

Was the whole “rich jerk buys the park/apartment/rec center/library we have to stop him!” plot that was so omnipresent in the 80’s and early 90’s an expression of the death of the American urban area? Usually you think about white flight, such as exemplified by the “Urban Crimepocolypse” genre but the “evils of real estate development” movies portray it more like people were unwillingly exiled from the cities.

survivor bias
those stories get greenlit because they're not talking about why the evil developer can always have more spending power than the entire community of people trying to save the thing

it lets them make the bad guy a white guy in a suit like irl without actually being critical of capital: problems that guys being a badguy obv

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Whirling posted:

wrong, fool

the only fool is u

that should be a peking duck dinner that gives me awesome psychic powers

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I was thinking today about the English equivalent: a group of down on their luck but authentic types need money so they band together to do a quirky and usually incongruously sexy activity. See: Full Monty, Kinky Boots, Brassed Off, Calendar Girls ...

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

nonathlon posted:

I was thinking today about the English equivalent: a group of down on their luck but authentic types need money so they band together to do a quirky and usually incongruously sexy activity. See: Full Monty, Kinky Boots, Brassed Off, Calendar Girls ...

So now this is normal, what next?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Gordon Gecko is unironically viewed as a role model by a ton of people, OP.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Horseshoe theory posted:

Gordon Gecko is unironically viewed as a role model by a ton of people, OP.

Who wouldn’t sell their soul for a marble and leopard print apartment, and a cellphone that weighs 10 lbs and is hot to the touch. GOT THE LIFE, BABY.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

And with the massive budgets you'd think cutting a 2 and a half hour movie to a one and a half one, they'd save a poo poo load of money that you know, would mean the movie could more easily turn a profit.

I think it comes down to movie producers seeming to be some of the dumbest fuckers on the planet. If one movie is successful, just copy it exactly till that format stop making money.

Movie producers basically consider movies to be assemblages of parts and don't understand the idea that they can be considered 'good' or 'bad' rather than just being assembled with the incorrect parts to unlock audiences spending billions of dollars to see them.

Durf posted:

I think it was mostly that people hated yuppies. Whether country club types or the stereotypical Manhattan/California rich. And ya there’s crossover with landlords and developers.

Even if they’re not selling the orphanage they operate contrary to small town values, think they know better than everyone, and stick out like a sore thumb. See Clark’s neighbours in Christmas Vacation, Lydia’s parents in Beetlejuice, etc.

Isn't the joke in Beetlejuice that the ghost couple are the 'ordinary' suburbanites while Lydia's parents are weird goths who bought the house specifically because it was said to be haunted? Beetlejuice even has to teach them how to be scary ghosts because they're so comically mild-mannered.

Also makes the ending fitting and funnier when it's basically Lydia, her parents and the ghosts all agreeing to get along and cohabitate because it beats having to deal with Beetlejuice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

it would not at all surprise me to learn there have been more "ironic" versions of this plot in the proceeding decades than anyone ever actually bothered to make when this was allegedly a current trend the trope has serious black guy dies first vibes in terms of can anyone think of any movies where this actually happened

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't the joke in Beetlejuice that the ghost couple are the 'ordinary' suburbanites while Lydia's parents are weird goths who bought the house specifically because it was said to be haunted? Beetlejuice even has to teach them how to be scary ghosts because they're so comically mild-mannered.

Also makes the ending fitting and funnier when it's basically Lydia, her parents and the ghosts all agreeing to get along and cohabitate because it beats having to deal with Beetlejuice.

Oh yeah, I like that.

A healthy resolution to Burtons usual freaks vs normies themes. vs stuff like Scissorhands where the outcome is tragedy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

accidentally watched pokemon concierge and i would in fact kill for psyduck

im taking a moment to appreciate the irony of you making this comment right at the end of a discussion about how movies are too drat long these days when pokemon concierge the complete series is apparently only like eighty minutes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

oh for sure

i found his number on reddit, my ex called him at like 10pm in the middle of the week and he immediately invited her to be a 'millionaire running his real estate company', mentioned that his 'fridge was always full' on the phone, that he has a spare bedroom (bed in livingroom of 1bdr apt) and made a point about how Houston has 'tons of movie theaters' (idk lol)
it was like 15 unbroken minutes of him talking

no signs of creepy behavior there

a little after that i met a guy who was making a viper docu and had lived with him himself for about 3 months, confirmed he made those kinds of offers all the time to literally anyone who would stop to listen, and stopped the docu after he ended up getting chased thru third ward at night by a shermhead w a knife trying to rob him for his bag with $15k in camera equipment, idk if he ever put any of it out

MonsieurChoc posted:

I do not know who Viper is.

this story somehow contained more useful information about the op and the company they keep than it did explaining anything about this viper person

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
closer to 60 minutes, the runtime fools you with each episode having five minutes of ending credits

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

the trope has serious black guy dies first vibes in terms of can anyone think of any movies where this actually happened

thats a horror movie cliche specifically

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

this story somehow contained more useful information about the op and the company they keep than it did explaining anything about this viper person

company cooler then u lol.. _/ 👈👉owned

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

nonathlon posted:

Agreed. One perceptive review of Saltburn noted that it's a film by a rich person on how rich people are kinda hosed up but it's not their fault.

And the villain is ultimately the poorer outsider who is coming to take all the rich family's stuff, right?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Movie producers basically consider movies to be assemblages of parts and don't understand the idea that they can be considered 'good' or 'bad' rather than just being assembled with the incorrect parts to unlock audiences spending billions of dollars to see them.

Lydia's parents aren't goths. They're rich obnoxious Californians with pretentious arthouse friends and hideous interior design tastes. That's why they had to go.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

nonathlon posted:

Saltburn, probably accidentally, demonstrates that the only way to separate rich people from their wealth is to infiltrate their palaces and murder them

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

And the villain is ultimately the poorer outsider who is coming to take all the rich family's stuff, right?

Exactly. Which is a strange angle to take, like an apprentice thief stealing from established thieves, and the outrage is about seniority.

Glass Onion and the like didn't go that way, but their critique - if any - is that the rich are just stupid asked oblivious. Which isn't much of a criticism but then Glass Onion isn't that deep.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

nonathlon posted:

Exactly. Which is a strange angle to take, like an apprentice thief stealing from established thieves, and the outrage is about seniority.

Glass Onion and the like didn't go that way, but their critique - if any - is that the rich are just stupid asked oblivious. Which isn't much of a criticism but then Glass Onion isn't that deep.

None of these lovely movies have any depth

There's more class consciousness and genuine emotion and character development in movies made for children like idk, Fern Gully, than whatever richkid struggling their their own privilege movie is in vogue.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

nonathlon posted:

It's critique was quite transparent.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Wars and Star Trek both operate under the logic that a planet is the size of a small town at most.

which works perfectly for Star Wars since it's a medieval fantasy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tommy boy is about making sure the correct scion gets the inheritance

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

which works perfectly for Star Wars since it's a medieval fantasy

I thought it was a Western.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saltburn's message is that the rich are more terrified of the middle class than they are the poor. The viewer is supposed to agree that the middle class are a bunch of psychos.