Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is it shifting if you print one color? Might be the item moving a little on the bed. What bed and material temp are you running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been upgrading some of my board game components with 3D printed components, and generally it's gone really well so far.

How does the gcode preview look?
And you could try a 'swap' instead of 'height paint', if the model is causing something truly fucky with the gcode generation.

You can insert swaps at certain heights just like other slicers:

1: Slice the model so that you're in preview mode.
2: Drag the top layer indicator to the layer you want to swap at.
3: Right click the (+) icon to get a couple other options, like setting a different filament color.

It's a different way of doing the same (though sidesteps some of the extra processing/other rules the multi-color stuff does.), but might work if your issue is on the software side.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

tater_salad posted:

Is it shifting if you print one color? Might be the item moving a little on the bed. What bed and material temp are you running?

It doesn't shift at all if I print single-color. It's only on the first filament change, and it always shifts by exactly the same amount, in the same direction. It's not moving around on the bed, and is still well-adhered when printing finishes.

SubNat posted:

How does the gcode preview look?
And you could try a 'swap' instead of 'height paint', if the model is causing something truly fucky with the gcode generation.

You can insert swaps at certain heights just like other slicers:

1: Slice the model so that you're in preview mode.
2: Drag the top layer indicator to the layer you want to swap at.
3: Right click the (+) icon to get a couple other options, like setting a different filament color.

It's a different way of doing the same (though sidesteps some of the extra processing/other rules the multi-color stuff does.), but might work if your issue is on the software side.

I'm not sure how to look at the Gcode preview, but I will definitely try the filament swap method. Thank you!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm not sure how to look at the Gcode preview, but I will definitely try the filament swap method. Thank you!

They just mean the slider on the right in the "Preview" window after you've sliced the plate.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hypnolobster posted:

They just mean the slider on the right in the "Preview" window after you've sliced the plate.

Oh, yeah, the sliced version looks correctly graphically.

I'm printing now with filament swaps, so we'll see how it goes!

Edit: Worked perfectly! I think there's just some weirdness in the slicer or its translation to gcode when manually painting that specific model. Thanks for the help!

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 7, 2024

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I printed this up:

https://all3dp.com/1/weekend-project-a-fully-3d-printed-wind-up-car/

And none of the pieces fit each other. Nothing snaps together without a ton of work and finally I just threw it away. I would like to try again. How can I improve the tolerances on my printer? I have the Ender 3 s1 if it helps.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I printed this up:

https://all3dp.com/1/weekend-project-a-fully-3d-printed-wind-up-car/

And none of the pieces fit each other. Nothing snaps together without a ton of work and finally I just threw it away. I would like to try again. How can I improve the tolerances on my printer? I have the Ender 3 s1 if it helps.

This seemed useful, but I havent tried it yet. Let me know if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPqBt2SrcE

You could also check out: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/extrusion_multiplier.html#rationale--dimensional-accuracy

mrbass21 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 7, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need to make some slidy things. Is there a good lower friction filament? Ideally one that doesn't require an enclosure or anything fancy? I have a Prusa Mini and have only ever printed PLA and am not very knowledgeable about anything beyond that. I do have some PETG but have never tried it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PLA is pretty slidey if you print it with the layer lines in the direction of travel

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to make some slidy things. Is there a good lower friction filament? Ideally one that doesn't require an enclosure or anything fancy? I have a Prusa Mini and have only ever printed PLA and am not very knowledgeable about anything beyond that. I do have some PETG but have never tried it.

Does your design have to rely on direct contact with your printed piece instead of something like say: designing it so you can have a flat surface that you could stick friction reduction tape on to handle the sliding?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This came up before, but igus makes such filament

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hadlock posted:

PLA is pretty slidey if you print it with the layer lines in the direction of travel

That plus rubbing with candle wax, or a small (tiny, even) amount of PTFE grease works wonders.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Lubrication makes everything slide.

And now for a real answer: filaments to do this are super expensive. What has been mentioned before applies, either a flat area so you can add tape or the newest interesting poo poo I have seen is actually using pfte tubing captured in the geometry.

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 8, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

BMan posted:

This came up before, but igus makes such filament

Seconding IGUS for plastic bushings, bearings, and slides. Lots of neat parts for robotics, esp factory automation stuff. They have a big catalog of standard parts, as well as a 3D printing service and 3D supplies like filament.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just print everything in delrin

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

I impulse purchased a P1 (with the four spool loader thing). Never had a 3d printer before. What do I do now.
Thanks for the advice y'all.

My house is now infested with articulated dragons and skinks (this one is particularly popular - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5346988).

Also got my older kids some free .edu onshape accounts.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Snackmar posted:

Edit:
btw, has anyone added an LED strip to their P1S? I saw that several folks on MakerWorld have created various risers that sit between the printer and the glass top for housing the LED strip. (some with venting/repositioning if you normally lift the lid for PLA)

But, the recent official kit doesn't have much in the way of clear pictures or instructions and it almost looks like they taped the LED strip directly to the glass lid? https://ca.store.bambulab.com/products/6500k-white-led-light-strip

Welp, I asked support and got an answer:

Bambu Support posted:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bambu Lab support, and please excuse the delayed reply. We currently have a higher number of support requests but we are doing our best to serve everyone as quickly as possible.

Please note that there are no instructions on how to use this kit, in a paricular way.

The LED light is provided as is, without any recommended usage.

If you have other questions, or if I can assist you with anything else, please let me know. We are here to help you!

Regards
Bambu Lab

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Snackmar posted:

Welp, I asked support and got an answer:

lol and lmao

"figure it the gently caress out"

does the bambu printer even have an accessible usb port?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Deviant posted:

lol and lmao

"figure it the gently caress out"

does the bambu printer even have an accessible usb port?

Yeah! The P1 series has a USB port on the underside of the top frame at the front. It seems like having something for LEDs there was the plan all along, just not sure why it's unsupported

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Snackmar posted:

Yeah! The P1 series has a USB port on the underside of the top frame at the front. It seems like having something for LEDs there was the plan all along, just not sure why it's unsupported

On one hand, it’s great they have a way for you to get power for the LEDs without needing to tap into some other line/the power supply, but feels lovely to buy a first party add on and not even have a _recommendation_ on how to install it.

Bambu has positioned itself to be the “you don’t need to tinker” printer and have reaped rewards from it. People now (for good reason) have higher expectations on what they deliver.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

oh ok its specifically for the p1s i guess that makes a bit more sense

the x1c's stock led is garbage so i wasnt sure

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Deviant posted:

oh ok its specifically for the p1s i guess that makes a bit more sense

the x1c's stock led is garbage so i wasnt sure

Ah yeah, I think someone did eventually figure out how to draw internal power from the X1C for an LED strip, but most of them are still external power from what I can tell.

mrbass21 posted:

On one hand, it’s great they have a way for you to get power for the LEDs without needing to tap into some other line/the power supply, but feels lovely to buy a first party add on and not even have a _recommendation_ on how to install it.

Bambu has positioned itself to be the “you don’t need to tinker” printer and have reaped rewards from it. People now (for good reason) have higher expectations on what they deliver.

Yeah, like it is fine with just the stock LEDs, but it could be a lot better.. I'm just gonna wait for somebody else to make some instructions or a video using the official kit before I bother outfitting any of my P1S units.

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 8, 2024

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Not sure what the point of contention is here... it's an LED strip, the same as any LED strip you can buy from Amazon or Aliexpress, and you can use it in a lot of different ways. They don't advertise it as anything else, it doesn't say "Printer Interior Lighting Kit" in the description or anything like that, it says "6500K White LED Light Strip" because that's what it is. One example of usage they show is a printed riser (of which there are at least a couple of dozen on Makerworld) with the lights installed. They also show a 3D printed decorative light box and don't tell you how to make that either, because it's just another representation of something you might use the lights for.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 8, 2024

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
At least the LED isn't going to somehow make the printer self-destruct.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Acid Reflux posted:

Not sure what the point of contention is here... it's an LED strip, the same as any LED strip you can buy from Amazon or Aliexpress, and you can use it in a lot of different ways. They don't advertise it as anything else, it doesn't say "Printer Interior Lighting Kit" in the description or anything like that, it says "6500K White LED Light Strip" because that's what it is. One example of usage they show is a printed riser (of which there are at least a couple of dozen on Makerworld) with the lights installed. They also show a 3D printed decorative light box and don't tell you how to make that either, because it's just another representation of something you might use the lights for.

For me it's just "please show me how you did what you have pictured on the product page" - like if there really is a riser pictured in that product photo (it's hard for me to tell), I'd like to know which one it is. You're absolutely right that it's not literally sold as an interior lighting kit, my issue is that there's nice-looking example but no info.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Fair point, I'll concede that. If you did want to make that exact item (which actually appears to have nice 45-degree mounts for the lights) then it would definitely be difficult to track it down specifically. As penance for being a little brusque, I'm looking through Makerworld to see if I can find that one or something similar. :)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats your thoughts on this, something im gonna try, some themed encounter miniature packs kinda thing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Neat idea, I was playing myself with making themed packs of things because I think they make a compelling "call to adventure" in and of themselves.

I worry that the idea butts up against people being like "oh but I already have a X/Y/Z so I'll pass" but maybe I'm overthinking it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

The Eyes Have It posted:

Neat idea, I was playing myself with making themed packs of things because I think they make a compelling "call to adventure" in and of themselves.

I worry that the idea butts up against people being like "oh but I already have a X/Y/Z so I'll pass" but maybe I'm overthinking it.

yeha im still going to list everything like i usually do, but toss some stuff together by the same creator just to make some impulse buy price territory packs, fill a printer plate with easy minis and sell it for 40 bucks, costs like 3 bucks in resin

edit: forgot i had terrain too:

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 8, 2024

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

OK Snackmar, now I'm 100% on board with you as far as the riser thing goes. When I said there were at least a couple of dozen on Makerworld I was off by a lot.

These two look pretty good though, maybe not exactly like the one in their advertising but with similar functionality. The first link is a bit of a fancypants rig and the second is a little more simplified.

https://makerworld.com/en/models/82377#profileId-87836

https://makerworld.com/en/models/24046#profileId-27121

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

queeb posted:

yeha im still going to list everything like i usually do, but toss some stuff together by the same creator just to make some impulse buy price territory packs, fill a printer plate with easy minis and sell it for 40 bucks, costs like 3 bucks in resin

edit: forgot i had terrain too:

use a different typeface so it doesn't say "cacc of the deep"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love the deep cacc

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tater_salad posted:

I love the deep cacc

same tbh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm going slightly insane here and I'm hoping someone else has run into this. Does increasing wall line counts in Cura mess with the actual dimensions of a print? I had a hole/slot measured out just so and now nothing works despite now enlarging the diameter well past what should work. The only thing I can think of is that I upped the wall line count by one to 4 and bumped up the fill percent to strengthen things as this is a "production" part. Can anyone advise?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Warbird posted:

I'm going slightly insane here and I'm hoping someone else has run into this. Does increasing wall line counts in Cura mess with the actual dimensions of a print? I had a hole/slot measured out just so and now nothing works despite now enlarging the diameter well past what should work. The only thing I can think of is that I upped the wall line count by one to 4 and bumped up the fill percent to strengthen things as this is a "production" part. Can anyone advise?

I am not sure but there are two things I can think of:

- cura does not do partial line widths for the perimeters (a la Arachne) and your new quantity of walls makes it so that it's no longer evenly divisible. (e: completely wrong because Arachne was developed in/for Cura)
- your extrusion/flow multiplier has always been off for your filament and you're amplifying it significantly because of the wall increase.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 9, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think you may be onto something for the second one. After taking calipers to a freshly printed socket, I’m getting a radius of 5.5mm when spec is for 6mm. Taking it back down to the standard 3 walls has things fitting even with that discrepancy so I’m calling it a win. I’ll have to sit down and sort this out as I’m sure it’ll come back to bite me in the rear end.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol I'm looking into buying some dice from a Canadian wholesale place, just to have another thing to sell they might bring people in, and found a ton of AliExpress dice on there they are reselling. I guess that's what everyone seems to do, as I scroll through all the people selling them

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Warbird posted:

I think you may be onto something for the second one. After taking calipers to a freshly printed socket, I’m getting a radius of 5.5mm when spec is for 6mm. Taking it back down to the standard 3 walls has things fitting even with that discrepancy so I’m calling it a win. I’ll have to sit down and sort this out as I’m sure it’ll come back to bite me in the rear end.

I'm curious, what dimension-critical thing are you making in FDM?

I model lots of holes for metal reinforcement or attachment pieces to fit snugly into my prints. I have just always dealt with holes being smaller as you describe. It's been my experience that it's consistent enough for me to just model holes the correct amount oversized to solve the issue. When possible, just using a drill bit to clean up a slightly undersize hole produces a better result, especially when the hole is horizontal.

It would be entirely possible to tune this out in slicer settings, probably, but it is 0 effort to remember the fudge factor when setting hole diameters vs the potential weekend project smashing my face into calibration cubes chasing perfection. How to proceed is down to how much your hobby is printing vs printers, in my opinion

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also never forget that heat-installing inserts and bushings are an option.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also, saw this meme and thought of this thread

https://i.imgur.com/FARrq0U.mp4

hosed up quote/edit sheesh, I've been away from SA too long.