Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

they just announced a new mandalorian and grogu movie directed by favrau lol

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-and-grogu

Now with even lower stakes for the big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This, my darling

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mcmagic posted:

That poo poo is going to bomb.

I think it'll probably do well but not be very good

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Besides the fact that a manderlorian and Grogu movie titled The Mandalorian And Grogu is fuckin’ wild because it’s like calling a movie “Luke Skywalker and also Chewbacca”, this is gonna be a clusterfuck since they’re attempting to incorporate a “standalone” feature film into the already-convoluted Mando-Ashoka-Fett TV Extended Universe That Doesn’t Include Obiwan And Certainly Doesn’t Include Andor.

So of course I’m 100% down to eventually watch this trash without ever paying for it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

They absolutely were not. Critically sure. But culture wise no.

Within nerd culture, yeah of course. But the larger movie watching culture? Somebody was buying enough tickets to watch them to make them blockbusters. And every big holiday after release they were on tv, mainstream cable not just speciality channels. Heck, they still might be! Someone check with a boomer (not it!). They're pretty popular, even when we subtract haters (who still watched them, if not very well lol)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

"The Mandalorian & Grogu" sounds like the name of an 80's Hanna-Barbera series

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Anyone ever noticed how the Prequels had no cultural impact?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

YaketySass posted:

are you trolling lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blood Boils posted:

Within nerd culture, yeah of course. But the larger movie watching culture? Somebody was buying enough tickets to watch them to make them blockbusters. And every big holiday after release they were on tv, mainstream cable not just speciality channels. Heck, they still might be! Someone check with a boomer (not it!). They're pretty popular, even when we subtract haters (who still watched them, if not very well lol)
I remember that a lot of people hated Jar Jar. Beyond that, the complaints I remember were nerds saying stuff like the Jedi are too powerful, the fight scenes look too good, Maul's double saber is dumb and his technique isn't realistic enough, I hate child actors in general, "poodoo" is a dumb word, just typical dumb nerd carping. Maybe it's my fault for being a nerd with nerd friends.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Prequels were the right movies to come out at the right time. Star Wars for the Toonami generation.

Sequels on the other hand had no pulse on the culture. Full on Gen X memberberries followed by an uproar when it slightly turned away from memberberries to capping out with SW + Saturday Morning 80's toyetic cartoon memberberries to kill the whole thing.

How do you make a whole rear end trilogy in the 2nd half of the 2010's without an trace of a LOTR or anime influence?

Minus the parts in TLJ that reminded me of Zeta Gundam.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

YaketySass posted:

it's true, no one can even remember the main characters' names.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The REAL Goobusters posted:

are you trolling lol

Yes.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

That poo poo is going to bomb.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I can't speak for anyone else but I just want to see Andor Season 2 and I'm glad it's not getting any more seasons. They can close it out nice and not have to drag it on with serial storytelling horseshit.

This is such a weird time to me personally because Star Wars has almost completely tanked (purely for me, if you enjoy the current bumper crop of Star Wars stuff then good for you!) but we got a very decent Dune movie (and it looks like Part 2 is also going to be a winner) and the Foundation show (which is more of a "inspired by the premise of Foundation") actually got legit good in Season 2, so I'm really happy with science fiction stuff in general. But I absolutely could not have predicted what happened with Star Wars over the last decade, it's been a real rollercoaster.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's unfair to yuck other people's yum or whatever the youths say, but I wish they would just get past this prequel-to-the-sequels era, it mostly sucks. The prospect of years and years of it to come is nauseating.

Move the timeline up and try again with some new stuff. I have no high hopes for the rey movie but drat it needs to open up some new space for them I feel like

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So of course I’m 100% down to eventually watch this trash without ever paying for it.

Forum subtitle contender here

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Eason the Fifth posted:

Forum subtitle contender here

:hmmyes:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It seems to me that the post-sequel-era is probably just going to ignore the sequels in the same way the sequels ignored Episode VI. The characters surviving from the sequels will exist and everything, and the events of the movies won’t be made non-canonical, but they won’t matter anymore.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kylo Ren shows up with another face scar

"But I stabbed you."
"I wanted to move the scar so it'd look cooler."
"But you look fine shirtless."
"Widelo Ren was too powerful."

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Billy and the Cloneasaurus

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait to see Rey casually toss broom kid’s lightsaber over her shoulder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

"The Mandalorian & Grogu" sounds like the name of an 80's Hanna-Barbera series

"The Mandalorian" in the same font they've been using since the start of the series. Din rocket packs into view, lands next to the title crosses his arms and leans against it.

"& Grogu" in tilted red glossy script font. Grogu pops out of the "O", swallows a frog in one gulp and burps.

The marquee twinkles.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They probably should just break the glass and bring adam driver back. I mean that would actually be pretty low on the list of bullshit star wars death reversals at this point and has many obvious upsides

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

No Mods No Masters posted:

They probably should just break the glass and bring adam driver back. I mean that would actually be pretty low on the list of bullshit star wars death reversals at this point and has many obvious upsides

I'm all for making things more awful in a hilarious way, and bringing Driver back in a movie that is nominally about Rey turning a new chapter would certainly be doing that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm all for making things more awful in a hilarious way, and bringing Driver back in a movie that is nominally about Rey turning a new chapter would certainly be doing that.

The trailer for the movie should be a scene with Rey holding a lightsaber, about to deliver some stirring battle cry, then Driver pops up from the bottom frame and declares "now back to the good part!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Driver has no interest in coming back to the franchise though:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/adam-driver-star-wars-set-exhausting-reprise-kylo-ren-1235865213/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Nah man it mainstream. It's hard to back it up because I don't know where they heck you find some of this poo poo, but here's a joke jotted down by a fan in 2001 from Jay Leno which is about as mainstream as you can get

https://www.theforce.net/episode2/story/Jay_Leno_Jokes_About_the_Title_71392.asp

The prequels being a bad disappointment was a very widespread opinion. They absolutely did well because they're star wars, but they absolutely were not loved. Not until the younger fans grew up.

Back in 2005 I was defending ROTS at 14 with my life until I just gave up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

it's true, no one can even remember the main characters' names.

Ben, I think

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

Nah man it mainstream. It's hard to back it up because I don't know where they heck you find some of this poo poo, but here's a joke jotted down by a fan in 2001 from Jay Leno which is about as mainstream as you can get

https://www.theforce.net/episode2/story/Jay_Leno_Jokes_About_the_Title_71392.asp

The prequels being a bad disappointment was a very widespread opinion. They absolutely did well because they're star wars, but they absolutely were not loved. Not until the younger fans grew up.

Back in 2005 I was defending ROTS at 14 with my life until I just gave up.
There was also an entire bit in The Simpsons. The prequel movies were absolutely considered an acceptable target until we were, like, TLJ deep into Disney Star Wars.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 9, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Definitely.

I don't see much sequel hate in media, but it's very much mainstream through the internet and just general opinions that they didn't work and largely failed. I'm not even going to pretend that isn't the case. Yeah they made money, but they are not looked at fondly for the most part.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm really not sure if this is AI baby yoda, or so just so lovely you might reasonably suspect it is. Either way, good thing to announce your movie with

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm talking about popularity beyond fandom, not whether they were acceptable targets for Leno or the Simpsons, which is a weird measurement to begin with. I'm not saying nerd hate was unknown, only that the majority of audiences wouldn't consider themselves such or feel that way.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember that a lot of people hated Jar Jar. Beyond that, the complaints I remember were nerds saying stuff like the Jedi are too powerful, the fight scenes look too good, Maul's double saber is dumb and his technique isn't realistic enough, I hate child actors in general, "poodoo" is a dumb word, just typical dumb nerd carping. Maybe it's my fault for being a nerd with nerd friends.

Yes. That's ok, me too. But there's a whole world out there (allegedly)

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 9, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

I'm talking about popularity beyond fandom, not whether they were acceptable targets for Leno or the Simpsons, which is a weird measurement to begin with. I'm not saying nerd hate was unknown, only that the majority of audiences wouldn't consider themselves such or feel that way.

What's your prefered measurement because I'm starting to suspect that there is none and you refuse to believe these films were not beloved when they came out.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The prequels are a strange contradiction where everyone would say that they did not like them yet this did not stop anyone from seeing them or being excited for the next one. I saw revenge of the sith twice in one weekend with my dad and he maintains he does not like it. Recently I got him to concede the mace windu death scene is good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hatedom is a form of fandom.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Box office numbers are a bad argument for this because by that logic nobody disliked Terminator 3 or the Twilight movies (or as CelticPredator said, the sequel trilogy itself is perfect proof of profitability not equating to belovedness lol) when there were definitely strong widespread perceptions of those movies that colored the reputation of those series.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 9, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

The prequels are a strange contradiction where everyone would say that they did not like them yet this did not stop anyone from seeing them or being excited for the next one. I saw revenge of the sith twice in one weekend with my dad and he maintains he does not like it. Recently I got him to concede the mace windu death scene is good.

I told everyone I was disappointed with TPM. Also saw it in theaters six or seven times :shepface:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

josh04 posted:

This, my darling

That's all I can see too lol.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I rewatched Terminator 3 recently and thought it was actually pretty decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Within a series, the box office numbers for one movie can sometimes be taken as partially indicative of the popularly perceived quality of the movie before it.