Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's a weird metric, but the prequels were so much more memeable.

"Now this is podracing!"
"I hate sand"
"I have the high ground!"
and so on.

That certainly doesn't indicate quality, but I think it does indicate that they were much more culturally pervasive. I'm not sure I remember even a single sequel meme. The reaction seems like it's been a collective shrug followed by immediately forgetting about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think the scene of Kylo smashing his helmet against the wall of the elevator during a tantrum was at least briefly a meme. But you're right: the sequel movies are one of those 'in one ear and out the other' things.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes but

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Memorable sequel memes include: Kylo Ren having a wide torso, shouting "More!" while shooting at the image of Luke, and using a couple of quotes from The Rise of Skywalker as stand-ins for bad writing generally. Basically it's just Adam Driver being a good actor

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm not sure I remember even a single sequel meme.
"Somehow Palpatine returned".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also “They fly now”

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like "They fly now???" I don't get why it's brought up as a negative by some people. I thought it was kinda funny at the time and it's still kinda funny now, especially since it gets used as a burn on TRoS.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I like "They fly now???" I don't get why it's brought up as a negative by some people. I thought it was kinda funny at the time and it's still kinda funny now, especially since it gets used as a burn on TRoS.

It’s one of the better exchanges in the movie honestly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"they fly now?" just sounded too Marvelized to me. when Han Solo says similar stuff he's actually kinda freaking out in the original trilogy, the Poe line just felt more like one of those "aw gee I just can't catch a break *wink at the camera*" moments

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The crazy thing is that sequence and the Babu Frick planet are the only scenes I think where all 3 leads are together (not in TROS but the entire trilogy.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Colonel Cool posted:

It's a weird metric, but the prequels were so much more memeable.

"Now this is podracing!"
"I hate sand"
"I have the high ground!"
and so on.

That certainly doesn't indicate quality, but I think it does indicate that they were much more culturally pervasive. I'm not sure I remember even a single sequel meme. The reaction seems like it's been a collective shrug followed by immediately forgetting about them.

Im not even saying they were unpopular or forgotten, they just were regarded as bad and disappointing via the zeitgeist from 1999 to idk like 2016-17?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mycot posted:

Box office numbers are a bad argument for this because by that logic nobody disliked Terminator 3 or the Twilight movies (or as CelticPredator said, the sequel trilogy itself is perfect proof of profitability not equating to belovedness lol) when there were definitely strong widespread perceptions of those movies that colored the reputation of those series.

I am weirdly nostalgic for twilight despite having never seen or read it. The basic elements (Team Edward/Jacob, sparkly vampires, the weird psychic baby) were culturally pervasive in the same way an orally communicated myth from 2000 years ago is. Probably also why the prequels are pervasive.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The prequels also look like their own thing whereas the ST, Rogue One and Solo all do the "what if the OT but with modern CGI" thing so it all feels very homogeneous

Now that thing they look like is a gaudy and mostly poorly rendered cartoon but still

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

“They fly now”

MrMojok posted:

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Somehow, the dead fly now."

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The knife being the inverse of the collapsed death star is a brilliant image, in part because it defies any sense of "rational" character/event based logic. It's pure cinema, baby.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AndyElusive posted:

"They fly now???" is a dumb moment in a universe where jet-packed bounty hunters exist. Making Stormtroopers fly in the first place is not a good idea because it begs the question of why they didn't fly before.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

The knife being the inverse of the collapsed death star is a brilliant image, in part because it defies any sense of "rational" character/event based logic. It's pure cinema, baby.
what are some of the other parts of why it's brilliant

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

for the prequel trilogy, The Phantom Menace made a lot of money, because how could it not? Attack of the Clones made *substantially* less money, like 30-40% less; a lot of people weren't that impressed with TPM and this is how it shows.

i think ROTS made more money than AOTC, but it got substantial word of mouth about 'finally the prequels are good'.

the sequel trilogy in contrast is just huge falls in box office take from movie to movie. Of the Disney era I think Solo was the biggest bomb though which is why we don't get any more A Star Wars Stories.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Martman posted:

what are some of the other parts of why it's brilliant

It fits in the film's general focus on mirrors and reflection and implies Rey is creating a conflict in the literal absence of one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FunkyAl posted:

It fits in the film's general focus on mirrors and reflection and implies Rey is creating a conflict in the literal absence of one.

Wasn't that TLJ?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the way they use the dagger could sort of work given twin peaks the return vibes. Now certainly, we can argue whether the rest of star wars 9 successfully established a twin peaks the return like tone

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't that TLJ?

This one has a few, the floors in kylo ren's ship reflecting the slaughter of the stormtroopers, the very quick lightspeed skipping segment where the millennium falcon is on some kind of sky mirror planet off the top of my head.

But, also there is just the image of a dead death star. What is the inverse of that? Will that be a rock growing grass in 500 years?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

What's your prefered measurement because I'm starting to suspect that there is none and you refuse to believe these films were not beloved when they came out.

I never said they were beloved lol

I'm saying they were popular and successful with general audiences, that's it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

The prequels are a strange contradiction where everyone would say that they did not like them yet this did not stop anyone from seeing them or being excited for the next one. I saw revenge of the sith twice in one weekend with my dad and he maintains he does not like it. Recently I got him to concede the mace windu death scene is good.

It helped that the prequels were iirc considered better as they went on, Attack of the Clones gets extra flak and certainly has some baffling romance scenes (which are probably meant to be awkward but still come off as parody levels of cliche) but it has big action setpieces and fun pulp throwbacks, and Revenge of the Sith ends on a high note. (So to speak) And for a lot of nerds the EU stuff and Clone Wars shows redeemed it, it was a golden age for the EU as they got to expand on a massive galaxy spanning war with tons of Jedi and clones and droids all duking it out in every conceivable way.

The sequels did very much the opposite arc, where while TFA was well received it was basically mostly sweet nothings to the memberberries crowd, by TLJ the sheen was starting to wear off and TRoS managed to pull an almost Game of Thrones finale level of utterly tanking interest and momentum, and they were really loving lucky Baby Yoda was a hit. Literally the only post-TRoS media is The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special, which apparently spends large chunks of its runtime basically apologising for loving it up and trying to pick up on plot threads and arcs they abandoned.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AndyElusive posted:

"The Mandalorian" in the same font they've been using since the start of the series. Din rocket packs into view, lands next to the title crosses his arms and leans against it.

"& Grogu" in tilted red glossy script font. Grogu pops out of the "O", swallows a frog in one gulp and burps.

The marquee twinkles.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bongo Bill posted:

Memorable sequel memes include: Kylo Ren having a wide torso, shouting "More!" while shooting at the image of Luke, and using a couple of quotes from The Rise of Skywalker as stand-ins for bad writing generally. Basically it's just Adam Driver being a good actor

Somehow, Palpatine has returned

edit: beaten

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

I never said they were beloved lol

I'm saying they were popular and successful with general audiences, that's it.

Yeah but this whole time from the post I quoted I was talking about their reputation. Which for around a decade was very poor.

Them making money has nothing to do with it

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I definitely remember poor critical reception of the prequels and the many years of 'George Lucas ruined Star Wars' talk.

But kids of the time loved them, unburdened by expectations, and watched them a million times, just like the older groups fell in live with the originals.

It's these kids that grew up to create all these memes, bringing it back into the public consciousness, and generally, people look back on them with nostalgia in a much more positive light.

Time will tell if this happens again with the Disney Sequels, but I somehow doubt it with all the subsequent tv shows and never ending Star Wars media. Kids also have other franchises that have grown exponentially to compete for their attention.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm not sure there's anything quite as influential as the star wars prequels from their time period, except Shrek.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ungulateman posted:

i'm not sure there's anything quite as influential as the star wars prequels from their time period, except Shrek.

LOTR?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched episode 9 again . It has good points but it really is not great. The story is a mess. Characters come and go. The movie starts in media res with Ren fighting people I don’t know who they are. Why is he there ? Also it’s Star Wars the movie should start with some kind of establishing shot!! (Episode 3 starts in media res successfully I suppose). Then Palpatine lifting fully staffed ??? star destroyers ?? Out of the ground ??? What ???

The snake in the tunnel is badly done and low effort.

Carrie fisher should not have been in the movie.

Ah it goes on and on. Landon showing up with a a people’s army is by far the low point of Star Wars and maybe of all cinema.

I did like a lot about it but no one cares.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You know what wigs me out over anything in rots? Mustafar looking like a boring forest with some smoke and fire placed everywhere. That’s just insane to me that they decided to even pretend that was the same planet

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

You know what wigs me out over anything in rots? Mustafar looking like a boring forest with some smoke and fire placed everywhere. That’s just insane to me that they decided to even pretend that was the same planet

Well they just waited until the last film, in a 9 film series, to introduce the idea that planets aren't single biome. Where's the confusion?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looking it up it’s from some vr game where you and Vader get some stupid stone so he can bring back padme. Instead it gets used to heal the planet lol ok

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

"They fly now???" is a dumb moment in a universe where jet-packed bounty hunters exist. Making Stormtroopers fly in the first place is not a good idea because it begs the question of why they didn't fly before.

They did in some of the video games (the SNES Empire Strikes Back for example). The games also invented Force Healing for that matter

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but this whole time from the post I quoted I was talking about their reputation. Which for around a decade was very poor.

You saw all the lame joke criticisms because so many people were going into theatres, engaging with the films, and getting really invested in the narrative. “Why is Anakin so weird and awkward? Can’t he see what he’s doing is bad???”

A movie with an actual bad reputation is, like, Solo A Star Wars Story - where it came out to negative hype, nobody cares about the story, and it’s already nearly forgotten.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess it's unfair to yuck other people's yum or whatever the youths say, but I wish they would just get past this prequel-to-the-sequels era, it mostly sucks. The prospect of years and years of it to come is nauseating.

Move the timeline up and try again with some new stuff. I have no high hopes for the rey movie but drat it needs to open up some new space for them I feel like

I think it’s a mistake to split Disney Starwars into ‘eras’, because it’s not the setting that’s at fault. What we actually have are multiple thematically-distinct sub-continuities that crisscross the whole thing in bizarre ways as they attempt various tactics to sequelize the Lucas Star Wars.

Continuity 1: Solo + Episode 7 + Episode 9

This is the Star Wars soft reboot. Breezy, fun (“look at how fun this is! Are you having fun???”), Han Solo fixated, capital-M Mythological, self-consciously ‘absurd’. Amped-up and pointless.

Continuity 2: Obiwan Show + Episode 8.

This is regressive, calcified Star Wars. Didactic, important, fake whimsy. Bad politics. “Today we’re going to learn about the original ‘rap star’, William Shakespeare.” Star Wars as Institution.

Continuity 3: Andor + Most of Rogue One

Post-Starwars. Next level.

Continuity 4: The actually-good half of Manderlorian + The rest of Rogue One

The real Star Wars sequels, properly synthesizing “OT” and prequels. Pulp action, weird subtext, Bryce Dallas-Howard. Now this is podracing!

The actually-good half of Manderlorian is why I can’t dismiss the “pre-sequel” era. We’ve already got authentic leftism in Andor, so why not depict the Star Wars post-war as a circle back to The Phantom Menace’s hosed politics with a new perspective? The absence of Palpatine is crucial; without Palpatine, you just have Menace.

Continuity 5: Ashoka Show + Boba Show + The bad half of Manderlorian.

Galaxy’s Edge: The At-Home Experience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like the way they use the dagger could sort of work given twin peaks the return vibes. Now certainly, we can argue whether the rest of star wars 9 successfully established a twin peaks the return like tone
III am nooot your red aaarm

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

Looking it up it’s from some vr game where you and Vader get some stupid stone so he can bring back padme. Instead it gets used to heal the planet lol ok

CelticPredator posted:

"Good enough."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

And I said amongst fans that's true. But general audiences don't care about reputation or critics (both nerd & traditional media) would be the gatekeepers to success - Michael Bay has made so many blockbusters, the south park song where they ask why he keeps being allowed to make movies had no effect!

It wasn't just kids who grew up to meme that liked them, boomers who weren't nerds and liked the originals did too

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is kind of a silly conversation because it's basically impossible to "prove" but I do not think normies liked the prequel trilogy no.

Like the prior description of someone who watched all three movies while disliking all of them describes my literal boomer dad to a t.