Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Luffy respecting Katakuri enough to cover his face after he takes him down is a good rear end Luffy moment even more than all the goofy poo poo he does throughout WCI.

Luffy is one of the most empathetic person in the series. His emotional intelligence is off the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Cause it didn't take 5 years to finish?

I don't agree with the "Wano too long" criticism. It's like the penultimate arc of the series' main story. It should be a long arc! After 25 years of yelling "I'm gonna be king of the pirates!" and antagonists scoffing at him, now he's proven himself a real contender for the title. And even though it was a long arc, it was all really good! The Oden flashback, prison mine and Queen, Kaido + Big Mom alliance, Yasuie's sacrifice, the Strawhats appearing to save the samurai at the start of the raid, dinosaur fights and fun facts and Gear 5 were all excellent.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if anything wano needed to be like 3 chapters longer lol. that ending was so abrupt

it felt like jinbe was supposed to fight jack and brook was going to get a 1 on 1 too but jinbe just junking some dude with no effort was super satisfying anyway. wish usopp won a real fight too.

but overall like, wano felt epic and luffy felt like a complete and total underdog and its the arc where he leveled up the most by far and he needed that for it to feel satisfying when he fights people now. i assume he never needs to power up ever again.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dumb vs question: who would win in a no-holds brawl to the death, Kaido or a hangry wedding-cake raged Big Mom? I honestly can't pick a victor here, this always comes out as a draw for my logic.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

anime was right posted:

wci was such a fun arc. in retrospect i like it more than wano.

I like Wano acts 1 and 2 more than WCI first half, and act 3 onigashima less than WCI’s final half. Overall Wano wins imo. YMMV

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

White Light posted:

Dumb vs question: who would win in a no-holds brawl to the death, Kaido or a hangry wedding-cake raged Big Mom? I honestly can't pick a victor here, this always comes out as a draw for my logic.

i believe that gear 5 luffy was the only thing capable of defeating kaido in a 1 on 1, and even that was kind of iffy. always bet on kaido

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Sub Harrison posted:

I don't agree with the "Wano too long" criticism. It's like the penultimate arc of the series' main story. It should be a long arc! After 25 years of yelling "I'm gonna be king of the pirates!" and antagonists scoffing at him, now he's proven himself a real contender for the title. And even though it was a long arc, it was all really good! The Oden flashback, prison mine and Queen, Kaido + Big Mom alliance, Yasuie's sacrifice, the Strawhats appearing to save the samurai at the start of the raid, dinosaur fights and fun facts and Gear 5 were all excellent.

Yeahhh but like, some of that stuff didn't super pan out in hindsight, or perhaps wasn't worth the build up.

Off the top of my head, probably could have cut out anything with the Numbers. The ice Oni stuff did give Chopper his singular moment in Wano (which was good) but I think could have been truncated a bit because it felt like forever. The loving... Enemy group of ninja whatever they were called were all a waste of space (even if the final fight between Raizo and Big Forehead was good). Hawkins, Apoo, and Drake all kinda felt just there to check them off a worst generation involvement list.

And since Yamato ultimately ended up not joining (yet?? :tinkidel:), I think the significant panel time he got during Onigashima was also a bit of a waste.

Not that any of them was bad per se, but I would rather them cut out if it didn't mean spending 5 years in Wano. Or at least allow for the space for a more emotionally rewarding epilogue.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Like I do think Wano and Onigashima is a masterclass in moving the correct pieces to where they need to be, something Oda has always been very good at. And given the grueling weekly schedule and the fact that it's still ultimately a good arc after 25 years of serialization, it's really impressive. But in my opinion and only in hindsight, I think I would prefer some stuff be cut and Wano be shorter.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Kaido has higher durability due to his Zoan so he could probably outlast Big Mom but I think she has higher dps so it would come down to who gets better rolls

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the #1 thing wano and wci did was make luffy feel like hes actually a yonko now and give a plausible reason why hes the truly the protagonist of this world

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Look, my boy is gonna join up with the Straw Hats at the same time that Vivi rejoins, right before they beat the crap out of Elder Star number four.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Considering the reveal that Pluton is sitting right under Wano I think it’s reasonable to assume that Yamato will have a role to play going forward

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

Considering the reveal that Pluton is sitting right under Wano I think it’s reasonable to assume that Yamato will have a role to play going forward

I am convinced that Yamato will be back at some point (odds are good that Vivi will link back up with Luffy again eventually as well)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'll be honest saturn making me wish he was the guy who made gear 5th happen. Gear 5th is a better answer to him than kaido.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

im wondering if momo was like "poo poo im important" because he learned pluton has to be piloted by a dragon

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

I'll be honest saturn making me wish he was the guy who made gear 5th happen. Gear 5th is a better answer to him than kaido.

I can kinda see what you're saying. Luffy's power progression felt kinda weird, because he spent so long training to unlock Ryou, for it to get more or less immediately supplanted by Ryou w/ Conqueror's, which then got supplanted with Gear 5.

Presumably it's all additive, like he couldn't learn one without the other in sequence and the reason why Gear 5 was so strong was because he was using it with Conqueror's, but yeah maybe spacing out Gear 5 til now would have allowed the previous two techniques to breathe a little more.

Sure was cool though.

Augus posted:

That can be Momo's job YAMATO SHOULD HAVE JOINED I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i believe that gear 5 luffy was the only thing capable of defeating kaido in a 1 on 1, and even that was kind of iffy. always bet on kaido

You think either Big Mom or Kaido would have stayed down if they hadn't landed in a lava bath? Failing that even, I'm not sure if Kaido couldn't have avoided the biggest punch if he'd wanted to. There was always an air of wanting to lose this fight that made me wonder if he was really giving it all he could.

We still on break this week? This is a hard chapter to wait on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

And since Yamato ultimately ended up not joining (yet?? :tinkidel:), I think the significant panel time he got during Onigashima was also a bit of a waste.
Nuts to that! Even if we never see Yamato again, every moment with him was a ton of fun and worth it for its own sake. (But also Yamato is going to join eventually, if only in the endgame arc when Pluton and Poseidon come into play.)

anime was right posted:

the #1 thing wano and wci did was make luffy feel like hes actually a yonko now and give a plausible reason why hes the truly the protagonist of this world
100% agreed. Whole Cake made the Yonko feel like insurmountable obstacles. Immovable forces of nature that no upstart could ever hope to stand against. And then Wano was the story of Luffy overcoming the impossible. It was great.

And honestly, part of the weight of that victory was provided by just how long and grueling it was. As was mentioned, it deserved to be an insanely long arc, considering its place in the story.

That said, Whole Cake Island was better. drat, Whole Cake was such a good arc.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Kaido has higher durability due to his Zoan so he could probably outlast Big Mom but I think she has higher dps so it would come down to who gets better rolls
You can't underestimate Big Mom's inexplicable inhuman endurance. I can't see either of them making much progress against the other in a slugfest. You'd need a technique win, like one of them smashing the other into a hole into the earth's mantle. Either one could pull that off on the other in the right circumstances.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Caidin posted:

Yeah spoilers drop next week with official release on the 21st.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Caidin posted:

eleven days for official release, about a week for leaks and fanscans

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Caidin posted:

You think either Big Mom or Kaido would have stayed down if they hadn't landed in a lava bath? Failing that even, I'm not sure if Kaido couldn't have avoided the biggest punch if he'd wanted to. There was always an air of wanting to lose this fight that made me wonder if he was really giving it all he could.

i think kaido and big mom were written to be technically unbeatable through traditional combat and i think they would have stood back up from their final blows if they werent narratively removed by burying them so deep underground that they were submerged in magma. to me, the fight between luffy and kaido represented the first situation where luffy could not win by simply beating up his opponent, and gear 5 as a “form” defeating kaido is a metaphor for overcoming an indestructable enemy with mockery and humor

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RuBisCO posted:

I can kinda see what you're saying. Luffy's power progression felt kinda weird, because he spent so long training to unlock Ryou, for it to get more or less immediately supplanted by Ryou w/ Conqueror's, which then got supplanted with Gear 5.

Presumably it's all additive, like he couldn't learn one without the other in sequence and the reason why Gear 5 was so strong was because he was using it with Conqueror's, but yeah maybe spacing out Gear 5 til now would have allowed the previous two techniques to breathe a little more.

Sure was cool though.

Wano was the first arc where the post Croc routine of Luffy gets beat and then comes back started to feel a little stale. The repeated "I got you this time!"s really made it feel less like the typical "This is real tough, Luffy's pushed to the edge, can he pull it off?" and started giving hints of "Come on, arcs no over yet, you know this isn't going to work".

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bisse posted:

This panel is just after the flashback ended, when she is 387yrs or whatever old.

Digging myself out of this hole by pointing out her clear signs of arrested development

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

There's always money in the wedding cake stand.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

:vince:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

loving lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:lol:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:five: :discourse:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Wano was the first arc where the post Croc routine of Luffy gets beat and then comes back started to feel a little stale. The repeated "I got you this time!"s really made it feel less like the typical "This is real tough, Luffy's pushed to the edge, can he pull it off?" and started giving hints of "Come on, arcs no over yet, you know this isn't going to work".

he gets so many huge upgrades during the kaido fight that do absolutely nothing to improve his chances, its like the structure is taken to its extreme for sixty chapters. which is crazy to read but in retrospect looks very intentional, like oda was going “here are all the special techniques luffy can learn. he knows them all now and you got to watch him learn them.” but it still barely does anything to kaido lol. really felt like the ultimate straightforward one piece fight. from here on out, gear 5 wins a 1v1

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
g5 was the only thing at all that really gave luffy a chance vs kaido yeah. his whole shtick of "this is my last gear 4" before he got killed seemed reasonable at the time but given what we saw kaido do afterward, luffy was legit nowhere near putting him down.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I don't get it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Monkey D Dragon may have committed some light treason.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NachtSieger posted:

I don't get it.

https://youtu.be/BYTNMCWrxEg?si=xYTkTfnlYgJ2_LwI

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NachtSieger posted:

I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-ouFNzt0U

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

holy fkc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyges posted:

Wano was the first arc where the post Croc routine of Luffy gets beat and then comes back started to feel a little stale.

Think people said the same thing about Doffy tbh. Probs Katakuri too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked pretty much all of Wano Country but Onigashima suffered from simultaneously being bloated with too many characters and not quite providing closure for everyone at the end. My other issue is I feel like Kaido's character and position as an antagonist is sortof unclear - if we're to blame him for everything that happened to Wano (which he is ultimately responsible for) he should be absolutely hated and evil, but a lot of that hatred gets directed at Orochi instead by the narrative and during the fight Kaido often feels like more of a great rival to overcome than a loathsome antagonist. I kindof found I wasn't really able to fully see with him as either and that lessened the impact of his fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even if it was a bit redundant when Gear Five arrived, Luffy's training made it obvious how it was going to let him injure Kaido, so when he was finally able to land the blow with Red Roc it was just so good. We also don't know that Gear Five alone would have been enough! Maybe he also needed Ryou on top of it, like Law needing to push damage directly into Big Mom.