Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re May/December -- I read it as you did lisp = moments of reversion, but not as an affectation. That's why, for me, Natalie Portman's mirror monologue near the end hits hard when she starts using the lisp as you describe, but then slips into and out of it as the lines blur between Moore as victim or predator.

If you take the conversation at the end at face value, though, you could see it as an intentional effort by Moore to plant the false abuse narrative, in which case the moments where the lisp doesn't "fit" might just be character choices to show where her pretense slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

The Modern Leper posted:

Re May/December -- I read it as you did lisp = moments of reversion, but not as an affectation. That's why, for me, Natalie Portman's mirror monologue near the end hits hard when she starts using the lisp as you describe, but then slips into and out of it as the lines blur between Moore as victim or predator.

If you take the conversation at the end at face value, though, you could see it as an intentional effort by Moore to plant the false abuse narrative, in which case the moments where the lisp doesn't "fit" might just be character choices to show where her pretense slip.

Hmm, I guess that could be the case, but there didn't seem to be a huge amount of rhyme or reason to her going in and out of the lisp when I started paying close attention to it about a third of the way in. It seems to me as if you're broadly right, but I think they were unfortunately a bit inconsistent in the idea's implementation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
genuinely submitting The Flash as a decent "so bad it's good" movie, esp with a couple beers, with the disclaimer Ezra Miller is a monster obviously but at least this lost WB a bunch of money. I kinda inched through it over a couple days. So many bizarre choices, genuine moments of *beauty* where you're like, is this Ray Livingston animated on a PS3??
openly guffawed as I saw the baby scene, the cut to CGI nick cage after the most dramatic beat in the film, childhood Ezra Miller, loving GEORGE CLOONEY getting convinced to show up, Ezra Miller 2's Cotillard in DKR death, etc. Lotta big and little things, just totally and tonally incoherent, and wonderfully ugly at times.
You made a Flash movie and you couldn't make it look good when he runs. It's pretty great.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I felt like I was watching a French Stewart/Paulie Shore vehicle and past the baffling baby scene it couldn't end fast enough. My qualifier for "bad is good" is there has to be a majority of people involved trying to make a good movie in earnest.
Flash is a product with little passion

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Holdovers (for which Paul Giamatti won a Best Actor Golden Globe and Da'Vine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actress) is on Peacock - I really enjoyed it. Really nice to see Alexander Payne work with Paul Giamatti again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Glottis posted:

The Holdovers (for which Paul Giamatti won a Best Actor Golden Globe and Da'Vine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actress) is on Peacock - I really enjoyed it. Really nice to see Alexander Payne work with Paul Giamatti again.

It's terrific, probably my favorite movie of last year.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
holdovers is legitimately great, but its funny that the director is pissed people are calling it a cozy christmas movie when it may be the coziest christmas movie of this decade lol

Punkin Spunkin posted:

genuinely submitting The Flash as a decent "so bad it's good" movie, esp with a couple beers, with the disclaimer Ezra Miller is a monster obviously but at least this lost WB a bunch of money. I kinda inched through it over a couple days. So many bizarre choices, genuine moments of *beauty* where you're like, is this Ray Livingston animated on a PS3??
openly guffawed as I saw the baby scene, the cut to CGI nick cage after the most dramatic beat in the film, childhood Ezra Miller, loving GEORGE CLOONEY getting convinced to show up, Ezra Miller 2's Cotillard in DKR death, etc. Lotta big and little things, just totally and tonally incoherent, and wonderfully ugly at times.
You made a Flash movie and you couldn't make it look good when he runs. It's pretty great.

its never a good movie but the double ezra millers bouncing off each other are so annoying it actually wraps back around to being a little bit fun

but nothing can save the ending being the worst 45-minute CGI fight scene on a featureless plain i've ever seen

ok well the eternals also ended on the worst 45-minute CGI fight scene on a featureless plain i've ever seen but at least that one didn't have michael shannon standing there looking like he wanted to kill himself

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was just relieved they weren't fighting some kind of stupid monster man like in Wonder Woman or Batman v Superman.

Wolfsheim posted:

michael shannon standing there looking like he wanted to kill himself
Excuse me but this is a plus lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

holdovers is legitimately great, but its funny that the director is pissed people are calling it a cozy christmas movie when it may be the coziest christmas movie of this decade lol

that's the most Alexander Payne complaint I could imagine lmao.

I plan to watch it every Christmas just to spite him :twisted:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cozy is getting overused, though, and we're starting to head into "it's a mush word with a vaguely positive connotation" territory.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
is this your first day on the internet or something people overuse words all the time, just accept it

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cozy is getting overused, though, and we're starting to head into "it's a mush word with a vaguely positive connotation" territory.

cringe

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

is this your first day on the internet or something people overuse words all the time, just accept it

You've misunderstood. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it, not do I think that talking to a couple dozen thread readers on a dead forum can "turn the tide" toward something like this. I was just pointing out that the director - who is 62 years old - probably doesn't realize that a lot of people are using "cozy" as a sort of synonym for comfortable and easy to engage with, if that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i feel like people on cined make language harder to understand than it should be for really no reason

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Northern exposure is streaming on amazon currently. Not sure what rights issues were going on but they appear to be resolved.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Solid example of the vaguely negative version.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJz0X-UZypk

Just give me a couple Mann episodes man...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Papercut posted:

Yeah like I said I liked it thanks. It was very funny.

why did you say "for some reason" if you knew the reason?

why did you say that in response to someone talking about it making no sense if you thought it made sense?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

why did you say "for some reason" if you knew the reason?

why did you say that in response to someone talking about it making no sense if you thought it made sense?

I think SMG just made that up but I don't actually care enough to engage with his bullshit

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Please care more in the future.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm only a few episodes in but I'm enjoying The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Michelle Yeoh and kung fu, always a good time!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watching Maggie Moores. it's okay, they're kinda doing a coen brothers thing but not as good.

went into the Creator blind. its pretty goofy but I dont hate it. The set pieces are sweet for sure and I agree with the wtf reaction in the thread towards the bizarre tonal shifts and song choices. pro watch imo tho I haven't finished it

I LOLed at the US Army rebranding with a helvetica logo

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
u s   a r m y

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 11, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I activated my complimentary Disney+ subscription from Spectrum, and MAN there is nothing that jumps out at me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When's the last time you watched Flubber

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

feedmyleg posted:

When's the last time you watched Flubber

Too soon

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Watch Toy Story 2.

After that, you can watch Season 6, Episode 21 of the Simpsons (The PTA Disbands!).

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 11, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

I activated my complimentary Disney+ subscription from Spectrum, and MAN there is nothing that jumps out at me.

The Black Hole still there?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Northern exposure is streaming on amazon currently. Not sure what rights issues were going on but they appear to be resolved.

Thanks for the heads-up! Loved it back in the day when it aired!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

A Goofy Movie is a classic

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The REAL Goobusters posted:

A Goofy Movie is a classic

One of Lynch’s best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I watch the Nat Geo nature docs. For Disney-Disney I dig those "Zenimation" shorts. I can pass on Star Wars and Marvel stuff, except I did like Andor. And there's Marvel one-off called "Werewolf by Night" that was well-done in its style.

There's 5 seasons of the original Muppet Show on there.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have Disney + from a friend but since I don't have kids I only use it for classic Simpsons and even then I forget half the time that I can. I guess like, Tron Legacy, the classic Star Wars/Indiana Jones movies, and maybe X2 if they have it???

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Does America get the Stars content? If you do you get all the Searchlight movies, quite a few decent ones. But if you don’t have kids then what are you expecting from Disney+? There’s a lot of Disney content on there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

adults love Disney content

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's true, unfortunately. Especially living in SoCal you gotta encounter Disney Adults a lot.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

rip our flag means death

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Really just courting cancelation with that title. I watched the first season and thought it was ok. Cute. Fine. Sometimes funny. Definitely didn't deserve to get axed.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

haven't the gays suffered enough without having our pirate show taken away, haven't we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's true, unfortunately. Especially living in SoCal you gotta encounter Disney Adults a lot.

Encountering a group of adults IRL who love to talk about how often they go to Disney and what the optimal strategies are for each visit is surreal.