Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Parallax posted:

metallic rouge's a show that would have come out in 2007 and if somebody mentioned the title in 2024 you'd go, i watched that, i think.

be that as it may im fully along for the ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

be that as it may im fully along for the ride

yeah i think first episode impressions are that it seems cooler than forgettable but i absolutely sold it to a friend on the 90s-2000s anime vibe

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Frieren is a generic isekai

isekai'd herself directly into the future not once but twice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She did what now?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, you are slowly isekai'ing into the future right now. :v:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Oh to be a pokeyman on the resort island of Pokemon Concierge.
Four 15~ min eps of chill times and really nice stop motion animation. A quick and simple watch and I hope there's more in the future.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
are there any good reverse native isekai romance series this season?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
'Tis Time for Torture, Princess is like a weird mirror-universe version of Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle, if only because they're variations on the same bizarrely-specific premise. ("Fantasy princess is kept a prisoner in the Demon Castle; this is not nearly as unpleasant for her as you might expect.")

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're pretty opposite, Torture Princess is focused on food edging/desperation while the Sleepy Princess didn't give a poo poo about anything standing between her and a nice bed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The first episode of Metallic Rouge is absolutely incomprehensible. And not in a good way. The way it's directed is absolutely bizarre with scenes cutting off with weird timing. And then there's the scene where Sara thinks back to where she met the titular Rouge wondering if Rouge is some kind of spy trying to get close to her (she is), but the scene undermines this by showing Sara driving by Rouge just minding her business on a sidewalk, stopping her car and approaching her which is where they first met, and this somehow convinces Sara that she Rouge is trying worm her way as a confidante??? That literally establishes the opposite.

The red mecha approaches Sara and shrugs off bullets with no indication that it's threatened by them and then runs off for no reason. This, for some reason, convinces everyone that it's out to kill Sara instead of them wondering why it ran away when it could have easily killed her first.

Just really incompetent storyboarding here.

it is animated pretty well, but holy poo poo does this seem like it has some fundamental flaws.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the first bit i took as rouge knew sarah had a habit of bringing in strays (they mention this off-hand earlier in the episode) and set it up so it looked like she was homeless and would tempt sarah to bring her in

second bit the red mecha has killed people before (they mention two other people who have died already) which kind of colors what's happening a bit

honestly though i get where you're coming from, because the entire thing feels like they made a concerted choice to drop midway into a story that's already happening and it's not entirely clear why they did this yet - i think there's some unreliable narrator stuff going on with rouge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For what its worth when I rewatched it in the dub I got a better sense of what Rouge was about. Whether that was because I watched a repeat or if the dub made some things clearer I'm not sure.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also adding into that first bit, pretty sure Jaron leads her into that by asking if she's let anyone new into her life, which of course is going to be her newest assistant first. the subtitles were a bit clunky for that so i was a bit confused at first too, but it's not Sara just abruptly going from thinking Rouge is intervening in her life to vice versa

e:

Southern Cassowary posted:

honestly though i get where you're coming from, because the entire thing feels like they made a concerted choice to drop midway into a story that's already happening and it's not entirely clear why they did this yet - i think there's some unreliable narrator stuff going on with rouge.
yeah i feel like the anime lives or dies depending on how its plotline unravels. definitely sticking with it towards the end since it looks fantastic and the action scenes whipped rear end, but that's the dividing line between it making my top 5 AOTY or not

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 11, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

yeah i feel like the anime lives or dies depending on how its plotline unravels. definitely sticking with it towards the end since it looks fantastic and the action scenes whipped rear end, but that's the dividing line between it making my top 5 AOTY or not

i was talking with a friend about it earlier and i literally said "this is either going to be my aoty or they gently caress up the plot later somehow, which will at least be entertaining"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

started Doctor Elise, female surgeon gets isekai'd back to her previous life. From her plane crashing. Harsh, at least truck-kun is economical. Why do you have to take everyone else on the plane down with you just for you to isekai. Or maybe they all got their own untold isekai story offscreen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

started Doctor Elise, female surgeon gets isekai'd back to her previous life. From her plane crashing. Harsh, at least truck-kun is economical. Why do you have to take everyone else on the plane down with you just for you to isekai. Or maybe they all got their own untold isekai story offscreen.

I'm going to wait here until you finish the episode you owe Surgeon Queen Elise an apology for doubting her surgical prowess and selflessness. :colbert:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It feels like the more interesting and unique show for Doctor Elise would be having her in the modern world being a Doctor but we'll see if doing the rare double Isekai can be an interesting story or if it's just overly complicating something that should be a time slip

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The first episode of Metallic Rouge is absolutely incomprehensible. And not in a good way. The way it's directed is absolutely bizarre with scenes cutting off with weird timing. And then there's the scene where Sara thinks back to where she met the titular Rouge wondering if Rouge is some kind of spy trying to get close to her (she is), but the scene undermines this by showing Sara driving by Rouge just minding her business on a sidewalk, stopping her car and approaching her which is where they first met, and this somehow convinces Sara that she Rouge is trying worm her way as a confidante??? That literally establishes the opposite.

The red mecha approaches Sara and shrugs off bullets with no indication that it's threatened by them and then runs off for no reason. This, for some reason, convinces everyone that it's out to kill Sara instead of them wondering why it ran away when it could have easily killed her first.

Just really incompetent storyboarding here.

it is animated pretty well, but holy poo poo does this seem like it has some fundamental flaws.

Eh, the red mecha wasn't there to kill her, it was the clown in disguise, no?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shaman King anime is back with a Flowers/Superstars adaption. The manga was a bit hit or miss (just like the original) but it seems alright so far

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

genericnick posted:

Eh, the red mecha wasn't there to kill her, it was the clown in disguise, no?

Exactly, but everyone should have been wondering why this red mecha which could easily shrug off bullets and which had already killed several just turned around and ran off. It makes no sense for them to go "yep, there to kill me!" in that context when (as far as they knew) it easily could and was willing but chose not to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rouge had already killed two of the Immortal Nine, so the armor was a known Thing That Kills People

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Exactly, but everyone should have been wondering why this red mecha which could easily shrug off bullets and which had already killed several just turned around and ran off. It makes no sense for them to go "yep, there to kill me!" in that context when (as far as they knew) it easily could and was willing but chose not to.

you have to realize that at that point neither the audience nor the characters know/remember that Jaron has shapeshifting ability nor is trying to get Sara to defect through illusionary use of it, so for all both Sara and the bodyguards know that was the real deal. i don't know why you think they have to automatically assume it's an impostor only trying to intimidate Sara, especially when they're all panicking. if, say, in a slasher movie, the bad guy's getting ready to chainsaw someone in half only to get shot at by the cops and turn tail, i don't know how your first thought would be "hey, that might not be the real Dissector of the Ozarks!"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nitrousoxide posted:

What are you talking about, it's not a plothole that the characters conclude that when the killer robot shows up to menace you and then peaces out when it gets shot at, it's because it doesn't want to get shot at.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Southern Cassowary posted:

I don't think it's difficult to follow because it's starting in media res, I think it's difficult to follow because it's so dense. Like, look at everything it wants to accomplish in its first episode:

• Introduce the two leads (Rouge and Naomi) and characterise them (complicated additionally by the fact that they simultaneously do and do not have a pre-existing relationship, mediated through this bird construct thing. And by the fact that Rouge seems to have this weird, disconnected personality and possibly an incomplete grasp of what she's doing, who she's doing it for, and why?)
  • Introduce the primary(?) antagonist(?) (Giallon) and characterise him
  • Introduce an antagonist(??) just for this episode (Viola) and characterise her
  • Introduce the concept of Nean (enslaved... robot? cyborg? people)
  • Introduce the concept of Nectar (some sort of medicine or fuel that the Nean need regular doses of to keep functioning, doubling as a recreational drug for humans)
  • Sketch out the basic narrative of the series (Rouge and Naomi are out to assassinate a group of 9 secret immortal(?) super(?)-Neans(?) who disguise themselves as humans)
  • Play though this twisty episode plot where one character pretends to be a second character in order to manipulate a third character into a violent confrontation with the second character, at a point where we really don't know anything about these people or what motivates them beyond the absolute basics.
  • End with a fight scene that a) establishes how four different characters fight, b) functions as a satisfying (or at least complete) send off for a character that was introduced about five seconds previously, and c) is a dramatically and visually compelling action sequence. And three of those four characters keep changing what they look like, so it needs to extra work making sure you can keep track of who is who.

That is a lot to cram into 22 minutes (including credits) of anime, imo. And it wants to do all of that with zero exposition- all natural dialogue and visual storytelling. Personally, I do think it pulls it off, but I can imagine someone who's not paying close attention could get lost very easily.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don't think it's difficult to follow because it's starting in media res, I think it's difficult to follow because it's so dense.

think i agree with you that it isn't the primary reason but it is a contributing factor as it leads to them spending less time on exposition

also agree that imo they largely pull it off

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It primarily felt like a vibe check episode to me.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ

The throwback elements :discourse:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ok that makes it look a lot better than the PVs did

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the idea of fairly realistic military mechs teaming up with a super robot to fight aliens(?) is a fun one honestly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'm liking that. I feel like the previews were intentionally hiding the more super looking robots for a reveal.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Isura with its 'hero brigade' reminds me a bit of Rokka no Yuusha or Zodiac Wars, though I don't know if there be any deaths. The main girl is kind of very whiny and lame though (boohoo, my whole town and friend was killed, i'm jealous of this strong guy because if i was like him, it wouldn't happen)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

bang bravern also another late-nite show that no one seems to have licensed. a fun trend to keep an eye on, these are lower interest shows but so were mygo and bocchi the rock and odd taxi, not inconceivable that a really high caliber show gets left out to dry at this rate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bang bravern has cygames money behind it so im sure itll get picked up by someone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ANIPLUSAsia/status/1745022681014292585?t=gsGRKiVqyOpu1XLhu31Jrw&s=19

Aniplus got it, for what that's worth. Hopefully it'll get disseminated to the wider world one way or another.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 11, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Exactly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SEA service, meaningless to most of us

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Is it okay to eat in a dungeon ep2 was alrite.

I rather just have a regular restaurant series for food shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dungeon meshi gets an actual plot and stakes and like, thematics, pretty quickly, its not just Here's Food Wow Food the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The first like, three to four episodes of dungeon meshi are probably going to be the weakest part of the show yeah

After that it'll just keep getting better