Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Imagine being that other elf. Your friend gets blindsided by a poisonous horror, then has to lie around on death's door watching some other adventurers while they cook food with the antidote instead of just loving giving it to him, insisting it "tastes better" that way. Then their mage absent-mindedly brandishes a drumstick at your guy before mumbling a healing spell with her mouth full. Afterwards, they treat the two of you to an incredible meal and lecture you about your health. This is one of the most confusing social experiences you've ever had. Your friend has decided that he idolizes these loving lunatics and now you have to get up at sunrise to go for a morning jog every godforsaken day

I really like her hair though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
...is Marcille really not going to do a single even remotely competent thing this entire show? it's already getting real old

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ep 2 was even better, really getting into the thick of things now

Zyxyz posted:

...is Marcille really not going to do a single even remotely competent thing this entire show? it's already getting real old

how retarded can you possibly be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

symbolic posted:

how retarded can you possibly be

Challenge accepted

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zyxyz posted:

um... she got the better ingredient!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sure they'll mix it up, there just isn't much call for a magic user on these early floors. I'm sure she'll be hurling fireballs at skeletons before you know it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i relate to marcille a lot in these early parts because its how i imagine i would behave if i was dragged off on a camping trip

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the thing about Marcille is she's perfectly reasonable if a bit of a picky eater. She only comes across as unhinged because she's not the main protagonist and the anime and manga kind of pick on her, especially early on while they're still establishing characters. The bit with the bat in hindsight was a mistake but following her train of thought you would reach much of the same conclusion without the requisite sanity check that she also misses.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

I'm sure they'll mix it up, there just isn't much call for a magic user on these early floors. I'm sure she'll be hurling fireballs at skeletons before you know it.

Yeah, you don't waste your Ultimas and Stopzas and poo poo on the trash mobs on the first floors, that's just bad resource management.

Marcille's just kinda antsy because she can't really connect with the current party members.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marcille's problem is that she's the only normal one here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
marcille (normal)
chilchuk (professional)

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I just realized in part of the intro where a giant Senshi is standing in floor 2 there is a party of adventurers tying a rope to both a dog and a mandrake.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zyxyz posted:

ohhhhh boy, is she ever

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

As Laios pointed out, her deal is magic and she's very good at it, not so much other things.

logger posted:

I just realized in part of the intro where a giant Senshi is standing in floor 2 there is a party of adventurers tying a rope to both a dog and a mandrake.

They came prepared!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Marcille is doing the equivalent of just auto-attacking through random encounters to save MP leave her alone

also, her party is doing the equivalent of those survival shows where they eat an entire monkey and sleep in a camel carcass of course she's not having a good time

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

That episode was so fuckin funny.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I would very much not be having a good time if I was Marcelle, tbh.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Marcille gets ragged on especially early on but she'll have plenty of time to shine. They cranked it up slightly in the anime too -- I notice the brief part where she's running back and forth away from the basilisk isn't in the manga at all.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 12, 2024

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Zyxyz posted:

Dungeon Meshi sets a lot of tone early with episodic feeling chapters/episodes but we are very quickly headed into serial territory where characters become more dimensional. You could argue that the one-note jokes are there early on to make the characters growth more impactful. That said, this episode starts hinting at the deeper layers pretty quickly:

- Laios and the Chillchuck aren't purposefully being dismissive of Marcille. They just need her to save her strength so she can have mana for clutch moments and healing later in the dungeon.
- Marcille struggles with feelings of inadequacy because she is incredibly book smart but lacks some real world experience.
- Chillchuck's prickly attitude partially comes from the weight of knowing that messing up a trap means his friends getting killed.
- Senshi can be dismissive of things he doesn't understand but, more often than not, is just asking for mutual respect.

Marcille never stops being everyone's favorite failgirl but you'll quickly see that she is both competent and formidable.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it is funny that while all the other party members have gotten focus detailing their strengths and weaknesses and how their various skills contribute to the team, marcille's focus half-an-episode was pretty much her saying "i'll prove i don't suck!" and then proceeding to exclusively* suck really hard, repeatedly

*by injuring herself she managed to get an ingredient that was slightly better flavored than the others

i do hope that she gets a moment to shine next episode because she is coming off a little poorly tbh, we've been told that she will have some use at some point eventually and that's not terribly compelling on its own

it is funny though

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 12, 2024

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
She is beauty, she is grace

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

mandraked marcille made me laugh so hard

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Marcille is probably the fan favorite character, everyone loves marcille

but I do think that having dungeon meshi at tv show pacing means we spend a lot more time with the first set of chapters that everyone who read the manga got through in 20 minutes and then forgot about. it is what it is and its not like these episodes have been bad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
marcille is for the girlies (im girlies)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I always assumed the half lidded eyes on Laios in the manga was just part of his model but the anime makes him sound like he is on Fantasy Valium, presumably to keep his hyperfixation to a survivable level.

Re: Marcille, the recent episode establishes her as a cloistered academic, and the drawbacks that come from that. And she does mess up a lot in the series, but she is a magical genius in the things she is good at, and she shows it many times later. That is kind of a theme of the Party; everyone in the group has some sort of specialization that they are *incredible* at, but only works if they have someone else to cover for other parts. If you took anyone out of the group then the whole thing would fall apart.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, Marcille's book was actually correct, since her method provides a mandrake that's chemically-distinct from ones you harvest the "easy" way, which is probably important for the things wizards want mandrakes for.

I'm not really sure why "earplugs" or "a really long rope" wouldn't be a better solution than the dog thing, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, Marcille's book was actually correct, since her method provides a mandrake that's chemically-distinct from ones you harvest the "easy" way, which is probably important for the things wizards want mandrakes for.

I'm not really sure why "earplugs" or "a really long rope" wouldn't be a better solution than the dog thing, though.

Maybe wizards have a STEM mindset when writing their textbooks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe wizards have a STEM mindset when writing their textbooks.

"Wouldn't this be so much easier/less dangerous/less deadly" "but we have always done it this way and we don't want to risk a change on something dangerous" is something I can fully believe

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

You can train a dog faster than you can train a wizard, so I'm assuming they take no chances.

Also knowing wizards "a dog killed by a screaming mandrake" is probably magically useful to them as well, so they get twice the components.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

maybe they revive the dog every time and reuse it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Sounds to me like some kind of necromantic magic might be useful in this regard. Like maybe someone could study the secrets of life and death to raise an immortal undead dog that can pull out infinite mandrakes. I think that could potentially be helpful, and certainly not at all likely to upset anyone

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Or just! A long rope!! Dumb rear end wizards!!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

RuBisCO posted:

Just hire a deaf guy to do it. He gets work and you get mandrakes. Win win.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marcille was channeling some DM exasperation listening to the alternative solutions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If the long rope is an issue for like angles and poo poo, use a pulley. It'd be better than killing a dog or using a bat.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

RuBisCO posted:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I always assumed the half lidded eyes on Laios in the manga was just part of his model but the anime makes him sound like he is on Fantasy Valium, presumably to keep his hyperfixation to a survivable level.

Re: Marcille, the recent episode establishes her as a cloistered academic, and the drawbacks that come from that. And she does mess up a lot in the series, but she is a magical genius in the things she is good at, and she shows it many times later. That is kind of a theme of the Party; everyone in the group has some sort of specialization that they are *incredible* at, but only works if they have someone else to cover for other parts. If you took anyone out of the group then the whole thing would fall apart.

Can we not do this coy hinting at the manga thing? Like every other anime thread, please discuss the anime as presented.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kwyndig posted:

If the long rope is an issue for like angles and poo poo, use a pulley. It'd be better than killing a dog or using a bat.

Maybe this kingdom has a severe overabundance of dogs and killing them is an additional bonus?
Alternatively, the guy who came up with that procedure and helped making it a common thing just really hated dogs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

Can we not do this coy hinting at the manga thing? Like every other anime thread, please discuss the anime as presented.

"No the one girl isn't constantly a buffoon written by absolute hacks and you aren't supposed to hate her" isn't really coy hinting at anything and the theme i was talking about was in the episode, but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

"No the one girl isn't constantly a buffoon written by absolute hacks and you aren't supposed to hate her" isn't really coy hinting at anything and the theme i was talking about was in the episode, but okay.

"And she does mess up a lot in the series, but she is a magical genius in the things she is good at, and she shows it many times later."

This is what I mean.