Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i may not like the man's movies but he makes a quality pretzel

the ones that are like all the broken hosed up pieces and they've covered them in honey mustard sauce, premium stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i may not like the man's movies but he makes a quality pretzel

That’s right. A local boy done good, Hanover MA born and bred

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

the ones that are like all the broken hosed up pieces and they've covered them in honey mustard sauce, premium stuff

that's the good poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching Mill of the Stone Women. I’d bet good money there’s going to be some kind of dark secret involving these creepy statues.

Also I’m a big fan of the line “Call a doctor! She’s frightened!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NieR Occomata posted:

where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible,

You gave it away right there. There's no such thing as an empirical measure of a movie to indicate "goodness", unless you think trivia like "average shot length" is some kind of key to quality.

Like, do you understand that all movies are "made up in your head"? This starts with the empirical reality that they are a series of still images shown rapidly, quite literally tricking your brain into thinking it's watching a window into a world of motion. It then moves from there into your brain, which is processing all the sounds coming into your ears and light coming in through your ocular nerve and, in real time, constructing a narrative world weighing it against your life experiences and learned facts. The idea that there is one way to validly interpret it is childish and unsophisticated.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Empirical measures of movie quality
-Does someone's head explode?
-Does someone drink J&B Whiskey?
-Is there a guy in a rubber suit?
-Does it explore the human condition in a deep and thoughtful manner?
-is there a split diopter shot?
-Is there a gnarly stunt that makes you go "ouch that's gotta hurt!"?

If yes to one or more it's empirically a good film.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Desperado randomly yesterday and having never sought out Rodriguez's stuff, I get why he had a career based on this alone. Was just so much fun, with Trejo's scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTYOJ3oqSs) being a highlight. Was howling when the hero had two friends that look exactly like him show up without any prior mention also with guitar cases and more so when one of the cases turned out to be a tiny rocket launcher.

Gonna check out the other two films in the trilogy, but I worry a little I just saw Rod at his best.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 12, 2024

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
What Mike Leigh film should I watch next? Ive seen:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Apart from Mr. Turner, the only one I've seen is Naked, which is outstanding but very bleak and depressing (and funny) (also cw: sexual assault)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

El Mariachi is extremely good, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a lot of fun if you don’t just recoil at the sight of Johnny Depp, which at this point is understandable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobster Henry posted:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Topst Turvy kicks rear end (and not bleak or depressing) (and has no sexual assault)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I get can behind using these in the scientific method to find the empirical quality of a film. We need more exploding heads in film, extra points if it's a physical squib.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watched Desperado randomly yesterday and having never sought out Rodriguez's stuff, I get why he had a career based on this alone. Was just so much fun, with Trejo's scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTYOJ3oqSs) being a highlight. Was howling when the hero had two friends that look exactly like him show up without any prior mention also with guitar cases and more so when one of the cases turned out to be a tiny rocket launcher.

Gonna check out the other two films in the trilogy, but I worry a little I just saw Rod at his best.

El Mariachi is fun, it’s got some screwball bits that don’t work for me, but it’s a cool flick full of criminal misunderstandings.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

That scene owns so much, I wanted so badly to get throwing knives after seeing that as a kid. It cemented Danny Trejo too, dude is just a colossal badass in that scene and the movie did a perfect job setting him up as one until then.

As for the Mariachi's band members, I always imagined they both had their own story similar to Antonio's character, just that when the rocket launcher guy walked into a bar seeking Bunko, the ensuing shoot-out was rather short. The dual gun guy is the same actor as El Mariachi's, iIrc.

Gripweed posted:

El Mariachi is extremely good, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a lot of fun if you don’t just recoil at the sight of Johnny Depp, which at this point is understandable.

One of these days I need to rewatch Once Upon a Time in Mexico because I bounced off of it hard when it came out. Not even because of Depp, this was all pre-Sparrow. I just expected a direct sequel to Desperado and this was definitely not it. It was like wanting to see the next episode in your favorite cartoon show, but instead you got a different but very similar cartoon show, reusing some of the character designs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lobster Henry posted:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Secrets & Lies. So good.

Gripweed posted:

This would have been a great reply to Lobster Henry's post.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This guy gets it.

Tried to watch Nyad. Dreadful. Awful, awful, heavy-handed script, which gives the actors nothing to work with, not helped by the fact that they are being badly directed to boot. If I didn't know that Bening and Foster were really good I would have thought that they were just bad actors. We stopped after 10-15 minutes and started watching The Burial instead, which is, so far, rather enjoyable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Nier Occomata literally started this conversation by saying that all praise of Army of the Dead is disingenuous.

I'm aware, was just hopeful it wouldn't turn into a larger convo about his movies. :shrug:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finally the hard science

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Finally the hard science

Yeah, although I do wonder if it should be two from the list, not one.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Yeah, although I do wonder if it should be two from the list, not one.

2 of those makes a movie that you annoy all your friends taking about

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Gripweed posted:

Topst Turvy kicks rear end (and not bleak or depressing) (and has no sexual assault)

It really does. An under appreciated classic for sure, and a rare period drama with a pulse. I watched an interview with Leigh on YouTube from back when it was released, and it was funny to see this celebrated theatre director, who has just made a movie about the magic of theatre, give a thoughtful and articulate explanation of why he thinks movies rule and theatre is irritating and stupid.

therattle posted:

This would have been a great reply to Lobster Henry's post.

I’d watch Mike Leigh’s El Mariachi. Mike Leigh’s Spy Kids….?!?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

This list sucks. Complete lack of "Is there a shot that goes on for an excessively long time?" and "Did I see Roger Deakin's name in the credits?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The list is a work in progress and open to suggestions.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aside from the split diopter these are also the ingredients for a quality orgy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Empirically if you thought highly of The Zone of Interest but thought The Boy and the Heron was bad, you are a paedophile.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anonymous Robot posted:

That’s right. A local boy done good, Hanover MA born and bred

Yes, there's Snyder's of Hanover (pretzel brand) which was not purchased by Utz (of Hanover, PA) after the purchase was blocked by the FTC, but there's also Snyder's (of Berlin (PA)) which was purchased by Utz, and is now based out of Hanover, PA but is not to be confused with Snyder's of Hanover (MA).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

NieR Occomata posted:

A coincidental point I want to make is when people go “oh the movie is actually a huge metaphor for (something about the filmmaker’s personal life) and therefore it’s better because?????

The Boy and the Heron is a good counter example for this. I hate that movie and could talk about how as a constructed film it takes forever to get into its second act, wasting almost half its runtime on setup, or how it waffles between being a weird tone piece and every thirty minutes having someone inartfully exposition dumping backstory so it feels like it’s running at cross purposes and feels kind of like it wants it both ways, or how all the tertiary characters are introduced in its third act so never get time to become realized. If you liked it, though, I want to hear why as long as the answer isn’t “oh you see it’s one big metaphor for Miyazaki’s history as a creator and actually these characters are supposed to be stand-ins from the people in his past”. I shouldn’t need a fuckin’ GameFAQs guide to enjoy a movie and even more than that if the film doesn’t adequately communicate its metaphors on the screen within the context of watching the movie, that movie has failed. Full stop.

Movies can be a lot of things. They may not follow your preferences, but these aren’t iron laws. It is not strange for Japans most popular film maker to self reference his own films. And many films out there are made by film makers drawing from their own life.

In any case why might someone love the film? It’s superbly animated and beautiful to look at with a magnificent score again. So the presentation alone is praiseworthy. But outside of the studio/personal allegory, it’s also a contemplative film about death, loss, and rebuilding. I’ll quote part my Letterboxd:

I think the heart of it is centered around Mahito and his mother and that takes until the end to really make itself clear. She chooses to go back to her time so she can have and be with mahito even though it will end in her death in a fire. It gives Mahito the closure he needed for feeling frustrated that there was nothing he could do to save his mom. This thought/optimism is further reinforced by the final lines: two years later the war ended and we moved backed to Tokyo. Tokyo was destroyed in the war by fires and bombing, so to go back is to accept the loss and rebuild again.

Oh and the third act characters sure are introduced late, but they have parallels to ones you have already met. See the parakeet king as the dad (military man), the old lady as the fisher, Mahito and the tower master, and well the mom as the mom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Open Source Idiom posted:

This list sucks. Complete lack of "Is there a shot that goes on for an excessively long time?" and "Did I see Roger Deakin's name in the credits?"

Psycho Gorman and The Evil Dead have neither of these and they're perfect films, however they have monster suits and exploding heads, respectively

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

Empirically if you thought highly of The Zone of Interest but thought The Boy and the Heron was bad, you are a paedophile.

gently caress.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

This is uhhh quite the post

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

FreudianSlippers posted:

The list is a work in progress and open to suggestions.

-Does the movie have a 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in at least one shot?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Psycho Gorman and The Evil Dead have neither of these and they're perfect films, however they have monster suits and exploding heads, respectively

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

I think there's an excessively long pan around the room when Ash goes crazy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

There is a common trend in film discourse, specifically film bro discourse (hello Snyder fans) where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

Army of the Dead is one of my prime examples of this. By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible, but total dipshits love to go “Ooh but they could be clones! Or it could be a time loop! And and and there’s a zombie society what does that mean?!?!?!” And my constant response ends up having to be “but yeah how is it a better loving movie as a result.” And they can never loving adequately answer the question. It is by far the most irritating form of movie “criticism” I have to deal with, people praising overlong and unfocused and poorly loving made movies because it has this one thing that they liked and it makes an “incredible loving film” basically wholecloth in their heads.

You're a moron.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lobster Henry posted:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

I didn’t read any posts after this but NAKED, and then SECRETS & LIES

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

You're a moron.

Holy gently caress we finally agree on a thing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Handshake.meme

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Aside from the split diopter these are also the ingredients for a quality orgy.

No more embarrassing reason to end up at a hospital.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Roth posted:

You're a moron.

The menacing Snyder fan has logged on, ready to take names and snap necks!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder if i have had J&B whiskey. It’s not one I would buy, but who knows at some college bars when I got a drink.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

I wonder if i have had J&B whiskey. It’s not one I would buy, but who knows at some college bars when I got a drink.

Get a bottle pick out a few giallo flicks and drink while u watch em. Good times.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Watched Happy Go Lucky after seeing this post. Real refreshing to see a ditzy person be portrayed so goofy yet responsible and mature. Didn't expect it to be "Happy Go Lucky vs the Angsty Racist Driving Instructor". Will probably check out the rest of these too,

Thank you to anyone posting movies they've watched here, fun way to catch some interesting flicks that definitely wouldn't have otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Another victim of Snyder Derangement Syndrome, so sad. When will someone put a stop to those dastardly Snyder bros enjoying movies that have been empirically proven to be bad by the worlds top leading movieologists? Have they not harvested enough victims?!