Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jerkface posted:

Man about to be chainsaw'd: "what are you gonna do, chainsaw me?"

:cawg: denji snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Shinjobi posted:

Curious to see Nayuta's reaction to all this. I think she was under the impression she was still running the show.

We're already seeing the start of this given how she's trying to get Denji to calm down if not stop outright. I really feel like he's the only one that she doesn't want to outright control because she actually seemed to like the life she had. These idiots weren't ready to see Denji get back to being Denji; there is no way they're ready for whatever Nayuta does knowing that she might have lost the only person in her eyes who'd care about her without her needing to control them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Reading it again I realized Denji didn't completely cut himself in half and then regenerate legs from eating the hybrids like I initially thought. He's wearing pants at the end, so I looked closer and he's doing that thing where he keeps his parts together with chainsaw chains and pulls them back together while this is all going on. So that's neat.

Also I don't think they planned this, as in their plan was the mall thing, which didn't work, so this might be a back-up or an improvisation that wasn't fully thought out. Either way they're probably hosed, or something will deus ex machina them out of this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Denji rn:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Welp, so much for only eating people that ONE time.

Barem continues to get exactly what he wanted, I think he's the one true winner here. It also seems like he bounced after accomplishing his goal and completely abandoned the other three hybrids, that dude really is such a dick.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Welp, so much for only eating people that ONE time.

Barem continues to get exactly what he wanted, I think he's the one true winner here. It also seems like he bounced after accomplishing his goal and completely abandoned the other three hybrids, that dude really is such a dick.

it's entirely possible Barem gets some trickle-down fearonomics buff from the Fire devil getting a bunch of new adherents

he's also the only one smart enough to realize what's about to happen. Denji going sicko-mode is disastrous for everyone here

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/MetiNTBG/status/1744749621954453736

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's worth noting re denji's emotional reaction that part of this is probably about the idea that he can't have a normal life; what's happening to him right now has nothing to do with past choices he made or mistakes of his. he is being attacked purely because he's the chainsaw man (and nayuta is the control devil), which isn't something he can change. part of the reason nayuta should get away from him is because, as far as he's concerned, her stable and peaceful life was destroyed by people pursuing him.

man, denji consciously trying to consume them is a really bleak and really interesting choice, especially because it's unclear if he's doing it because he's lost it or because he wants to trigger the chainsaw power, or even if he's being subconsciously driven to it without quite realizing why.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Valentin posted:

man, denji consciously trying to consume them is a really bleak and really interesting choice, especially because it's unclear if he's doing it because he's lost it or because he wants to trigger the chainsaw power, or even if he's being subconsciously driven to it without quite realizing why.
Maybe, my bet is that he needs blood to some degree to keep the chainsaws going and regenerate when it's Denji in the driver's seat, and he's fighting people/devils full of blood. Not the first time he's used his opponents as blood bags in the fight - just the first time against doing it against something with a human-ish form.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Possibly, but his line which I assume in JP is "itadakimasu!", plus his later line about cooking his food, as well as whip's line seem to indicate it's more than just the usual drink blood to regenerate. At the very least, it's consciously highlighted in the dialogue.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I think the idea there is to convey that he's indulging in it, compared to previous times where it's been more about survival.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

he's indulging plenty when he kills eternity devil. but there he says, very explicitly, that he created a perpetual motion machine powered by drinking eternity's blood. In this manga it's generally worth taking note when food/consumption is mentioned, especially thrice in one chapter.

E: like I can't recall a single point before where they say devils regenerate by doing anything other than drinking blood. that is always the phrasing and the imagery, as when power, or makima, or the citizens watching the gun fiend fight revive denji. the food/eating imagery is new and distinct and flagged as explicitly horrifying by whip. as presented it's plausibly "just" a level of pointless savagery and animality denji has never shown before, but given that he starts doing it before all the enemy hybrids are even down it feels pretty distinctive as more than just a character note. given that denji knows the hybrids are immortal and that makima, also immortal, couldn't revive once eaten, he might just be putting two and two together even without knowledge about the chainsaw stuff.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 9, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People were saying Asa was shifting into a bad guy role for Denji to fight but my thought was it probably going to be Denji instead and lol.

Transformation into a monster is the punishment for eating human flesh throughout folklore. It's something you see time and time again. In retrospect a big thing the whole Falling arc was going out of the way to reestablish is how monstrous being consume is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

People were saying Asa was shifting into a bad guy role for Denji to fight but my thought was it probably going to be Denji instead and lol.

Transformation into a monster is the punishment for eating human flesh throughout folklore. It's something you see time and time again. In retrospect a big thing the whole Falling arc was going out of the way to reestablish is how monstrous being consume is.

Remind me. Who was it who voluntarily joined a terrorist cult currently kicking off a global murder spree? I don't think it was Denji. Mighta been someone else.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Remind me. Who was it who voluntarily joined a terrorist cult currently kicking off a global murder spree? I don't think it was Denji. Mighta been someone else.

well the terrorism part started a few months after she got the job so cut her some slack. I don't believe Asa was in on the play, since Yoru was pretty surprised to be juiced up

plus Fami is clearly manipulating everyone

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

When I say bad guy I am using it in short form for the typical antagonist sense, sorry if that wasn't clear. Don't get why you need to be weirdly jumpy for this lol.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Valentin posted:

he's indulging plenty when he kills eternity devil. but there he says, very explicitly, that he created a perpetual motion machine powered by drinking eternity's blood. In this manga it's generally worth taking note when food/consumption is mentioned, especially thrice in one chapter.

That isn't comparable to what he's doing now.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

lmao

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

well the terrorism part started a few months after she got the job so cut her some slack. I don't believe Asa was in on the play, since Yoru was pretty surprised to be juiced up

plus Fami is clearly manipulating everyone

The Famine Devil being the main villain of a story with running consumption and cannibalism themes is pretty appropriate.

Anyway, remember chapter 103? Remember how Denji ate an entire cake with his hands? Then the next chapter right after that is titled "spoiler" and cuts direct to Asa/Yoru wearing a shirt that says "Cake", and now Denji is eating people again and Asa/Yoru are heading over to confront him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I strongly suspect Denji is going to eat Asa/Yoru, here's hoping they can regenerate like the hybrids.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So the art was really messy and hard to follow, but when Denji was eating Spearman, did it look to anyone else like he ripped out and ate his heart? That has “implications” but it was so messy I’m not sure what I actually saw.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

When I say bad guy I am using it in short form for the typical antagonist sense, sorry if that wasn't clear. Don't get why you need to be weirdly jumpy for this lol.

I probably sound jumpier since I was phone posting. Makes it even harder to land the tone you're going for than usual on the internet, so, sorry about that.

The thing for me there is people have been saying Denji dies/is the villain for almost the entire part, with varying qualities of argument depending on the point. What's more, right now Denji is just going John Wick, with most of the crazy qualities (like eating people) being things he's done before. Meanwhile, Asa and Yoru are working for the figure behind all of the arc villains, and Asa's motive is explicitly to tear out Chainsaw Man's heart, just like almost all the villains of part 1.

Denji's definitely looking at bad decision road with enthusiasm, but Asa is much, much further on it than Denji at this point.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

galagazombie posted:

So the art was really messy and hard to follow, but when Denji was ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

not sure whom you're talking about??

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
A refresher to get Denji fighting again. Nonetheless, I find it interesting that he is devouring some of them. He was not able to erase the Falling Devil through eating (though perhaps it requires digestion), but devouring has been one of his main attacks in this arc..

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Makima said the hybrids were devoured by Chainsawman before and were mostly immune to his concept erase power(though the name of their "condition" disappeared) so I don't think eating them this time would do anything.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
They kept poking the bear, and this is what happens. I"m curious where this goes as this is just a downard spiral.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 11, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Makima said the hybrids were devoured by Chainsawman before and were mostly immune to his concept erase power(though the name of their "condition" disappeared) so I don't think eating them this time would do anything.

I'm under the impression he ate the <hybrid's true name> devil. But since Hybrids can't die, they survived but their names were forgotten.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure the erasing only works if Pochita is in the driver's seat. That was part of Makima's whole plan and why War specifically wants to kill him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one really knows why the chainsaw devil can erase concepts from reality by eating devils, but it's been established that denji cannot do so. can denji throw up what pochita ate like war believes? who knows!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Genuinely forgetting, has Denji ever eaten anyone in devil form? We all know he ate Makima, but that might not count for Chainsaw erasure purposes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Genuinely forgetting, has Denji ever eaten anyone in devil form? We all know he ate Makima, but that might not count for Chainsaw erasure purposes.

He ate Falling, and he's taken chunks out of Eternity and various others to drink their blood for a pick-me-up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reading Fire Punch, this seems like a good place to post about it. Goddamn Chapter 46 is I think the bleakest poo poo Fujimoto’s written up to this point in time, which is somehow impressive in the context of recent Chsinsaw Man. It’s even more depressing because Agni is just a legitimately mentally unwell kid in a man’s body.

Also I got spoiled on it but lmfao that the main antagonists (?) plan is to get Star Wars Episode VII made.

Can’t wait to see how this wild ride gets crazier.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Reading Fire Punch, this seems like a good place to post about it. Goddamn Chapter 46 is I think the bleakest poo poo Fujimoto’s written up to this point in time, which is somehow impressive in the context of recent Chsinsaw Man. It’s even more depressing because Agni is just a legitimately mentally unwell kid in a man’s body.

Also I got spoiled on it but lmfao that the main antagonists (?) plan is to get Star Wars Episode VII made.

Can’t wait to see how this wild ride gets crazier.

it gets worse

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fire Punch ftw.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It'd be funny if Chainsaw Man reveals the world went to hell because phantom menace sucked and chainsaw man had to devour it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

It'd be funny if Chainsaw Man reveals the world went to hell because phantom menace sucked and chainsaw man had to devour it

Makima only a CSM fan because she hated Phantom Menace that much.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is George Lucas the Great King of Terror? Makima wanted to erase bad movies, TPM released in 1999…
Fujimoto’s entire body of work really is just an extended Star Wars crossover.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished Fire Punch. Not quite sure how to articulate how I feel about the end stretch, except it really was peak bleakness. lol Sun though, was a dumb kid and grew up into a dumb man who died a peak black comedy death.

Speaking of Sun, it’s interesting to look at this series and see the same idea of a cult based on a warped understanding of what’s ultimately just a strong guy be something that existed before Chainsaw Man Part 2. Same with the crying in the theater scene, feel like it was a very deliberate homage. And now I wonder how much of Fire Punch was plotted, like did he know all along that he wanted Agni to get mind wiped and named after Sun, and was that done just so we had the ending of “Sun” and “Luna” reconnecting after countless years before walking out of the theater (love that whole death metaphor btw)? I kinda just take it for granted that shonen authors are winging it except on the broadest strokes because of the format, but I guess Fire Punch was relatively short so it’s not out of the question.

It took a while to really grip me (probably around when Agni first contemplates the hollow nature of revenge and violence, but all in all:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fire Punch ftw.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think chainsaw man benefits from the bits of levity and connections the characters have with each other compared to fire punch. in fire punch it felt like the main character was driven by the fiat of the narrative to keep going and choose life rather than coming organically from the character i think in large part because his relationship with his sister and the way that drives him was done in a very 'told, not shown' way, so to me it never really felt like a solid pillar to rest so much misery upon

by contrast, by the time you have denji talking with the vestiges of power, it feels completely natural that he'll get up and keep going in the face of the previous few chapters

it's been interesting to read both as they released, because it's one of the clearest showcases of an artist maturing in their craft that i've ever seen. seeing all these elements from fire punch gel into an all time great in chainsaw man is fascinating

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think chainsaw man benefits from the bits of levity and connections the characters have with each other compared to fire punch. in fire punch it felt like the main character was driven by the fiat of the narrative to keep going and choose life rather than coming organically from the character i think in large part because his relationship with his sister and the way that drives him was done in a very 'told, not shown' way, so to me it never really felt like a solid pillar to rest so much misery upon

by contrast, by the time you have denji talking with the vestiges of power, it feels completely natural that he'll get up and keep going in the face of the previous few chapters

it's been interesting to read both as they released, because it's one of the clearest showcases of an artist maturing in their craft that i've ever seen. seeing all these elements from fire punch gel into an all time great in chainsaw man is fascinating

yeah, it’s kinda funny because Chainsaw Man and Fire Punch are night and day on a surface level but thematically it’s kinda retreading the idea of “what is life worth living for, even when it sucks”. Agni and Luna even pretty much directly parallel Denji and Luna in the first chapters in retrospect, huh? And yeah, it feels like we spend way more time with a smaller cast so it’s more of a slow burn when, say, Aki realizes he doesn’t care about revenge anymore and just wants to live quietly with his dumb demon kids.

poo poo, the protagonist being fueled mostly by revenge and realizing how little it’ll fulfill them, that’s another Fire Punch connection…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I strongly suspect the fire punch connections are about to become even MORE direct.

Seigi Akoku looks exactly like Agni (and has been frequently depicted punching things), it's recently been revealed that most of the stories events are because of the Fire Devil, the narrative appears to be setting up an "old protagonist vs. new protagonist" battle.