Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Looking like around +45% for the year.

List of good trades: Short volatility.
Bad trades: all the others that were little tiny gambles to keep me amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pastrami posted:

Looking like around +45% for the year.

List of good trades: Short volatility.
Bad trades: all the others that were little tiny gambles to keep me amused.

Oh wow, +45% to the whole portfolio, YoY? That's amazing, and I'm crazy envious. For me, it's only around +10% when I account for all the volatility.

My "tiny gambles to keep me amused" were great at first, but went downhill as my beginner's luck ran out.

On the bright side, the cumulative total return is +65% what it was 1 year ago. September and October really hosed me up but the EoY bull run put me back where I was.

I think my biggest takeaway for the year is that I should just ease in and out of VTI when the market goes on a bull/bear run, and leave it alone when it's ranging. I don't know if that's a good idea from a tax perspective, though, because every time I'd ease out it'd be a taxable event and so maybe it wouldn't be worth it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Effectively the story of the year for me was doing largely nothing due to having no money, and interest rates being so insanely sky high that I didn't want to buy anything on margin.

The previous year I'd sold off a pile of speculative tech shitcos to reduce risk as the market was dying and my taxable account ultimately held just three equities, MSFT, AAPL and AMD. Luckily it just so seems to happen that those were good ones to hold (especially in the last few months... thx AMD). That's up 115% YoY.

I couldn't help myself from doing some timid stock picking speculation in my registered tax free account, where I had a bit more capital available (which I shouldn't be doing!) but I did so any way in extremely low amounts.

In some of those accounts I also took some profit from some oil positions as they stagnated and more into certain tech names SHOP, META, NVDA as confidence in tech returned. That was a good move.

Ultimately these accounts largely tracked the S&P500 index (due to the accounts being dominated by S&P500 ETF) but slightly worse due to my fiddling lol.

Another thing I started playing around with in my Canadian tax free account was making some very small positions in some high dividend stocks (REITs etc) on a theory that they may increase in value as interest rates decline. We'll see if that comes to pass or not in the new year hopefully if the BoC/Fed finally drop rates. So far through the year they've been largely flat.

At the moment amongst my small speculative bets, it's all largely flat with no big losers or winners, but there's two notable winners from these very small "for fun" positions.

CWB - Canada Western Bank, business oriented bank. up +26% since I bought. Not bad!
CELH - Celcius. Sugar water. +9% rn but previously was waaay up in the double digits.

Biggest regret: not buying AVGO despite thinking about doing so all the time.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 30, 2023

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

Oh wow, +45% to the whole portfolio, YoY?

Correct. Didn’t manage to beat QQQ I’m pretty sure. But was better than last year’s +18%. If I could suppress my urge to do discretionary gambling I would probably be up another 5-10% (will be looking into this once 1099s come in I’m sure).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pastrami posted:

Correct. Didn’t manage to beat QQQ I’m pretty sure. But was better than last year’s +18%. If I could suppress my urge to do discretionary gambling I would probably be up another 5-10% (will be looking into this once 1099s come in I’m sure).

if you trade UVXY or SVIX or SVOL shares in a tax advantaged account like an IRA do you still have to fill out a K-1? anyone know?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Not sure, I trade in taxable. UVXY/other Vol ETF/P options seem to be afforded 1256 treatment so there is a decent tax advantage there already.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I can't quote my posts from a closed thread but here's where we left things. Looks like a weekly low close of $357.18 $348.11 Oct 13, 2022 so the winner is rambo das with $349.00; with a close second of Fireside Nut with $348.00 (was under by $0.18 cents)

of note, rambo das was the 4th person to make a prediction out of 24

:pcgaming: place your bets for two things this year (please copy and paste and fill in your values DON'T QUOTE IT, quotes don't show up in forums/thread search and I'm going to compile the chart using search looking for the unique identifier first line there that says 2024...faa9

2024-stock-guess-platypus-85efaa9
SPY:
low: $400
high: $600
SPX:
low: 4000
high: 7000
Number of circuit breaker trading halts: 0
username

:pcgaming::siren:

Rules/details:

Fill in both lows and highs, number of circuit breakers (if any) and fill in your username by Dec 31 2024 @ 11:59pm PST

Low should be your expected intra-day low for Jan 1 2024-Dec 31 2024
High should be expected intra-day high for the same period
So if the SPY $400 market drops 20% to 320 but by the end of the day, trading ends up only down 5% for the day to 380, we take the 320 number

Market circuit breakers is any time NYSE or NASDAQ does a market-wide halt as defined here https://www.investor.gov/introduction-investing/investing-basics/glossary/stock-market-circuit-breakers

Prize is thread bragging rights. Final numbers will be compiled on or around NYE '24

multiple edit: i think I got the final score for 2022 correct

Final guesses through midnight Pacific time tonight

We only have 7 entries so far, your odds of winning are reasonably high

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

140% for the year over here. Mostly on the backs of NVO, RACE, ASO calls, and some smart GOOG trades.

I feel pretty good about that. Here's hoping for similar performance in 2024.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Fun money account was only up 10% this year... took a big L early in the year and spent the rest shell-shocked and slowly clawing it back while not trying to assume too much risk.

The retirement account did great though, up 60%.

Only crapto position I had was BTC and that did well this year too. Overall a great year.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Up 17.7% this year, which is really nice. I started this account 4 years ago and am up 44% overall, which is a pretty good result. I'm a total fool though - I was looking at my total history, and there was a time in Nov 2021 where my portfolio was up 440%. This is on a base of $40k - this was borderline 'life changing' money, and I had a portfolio that peaked at 200k. I ended up selling very little at that point, somehow thinking number always go up. It makes for a graph that's kinda depressing.

Anyway, 2022 was absolutely brutal, and 2023 was a trend upwards, which was nice, but I get to play this game of, 'what if I just sold when I was up a shitload' -- I know it's not worth thinking about because you could 'what if' your way into a whole pile of things, but still...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I cut out a bunch of crap from my fun money portfolio earlier this year. For 2023, I was up 40%, most of which are unrealized gains as my investments into AAPL, VTI and URNM have all performed really well.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...
Forgot to post my roll for this week. Juicy premium!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bah, should have dropped RIVN last week when it was up more. But I closed it today anyway, still at a profit, but not really an impressive one. I feel like it's going to struggle for a while, though.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

Aaaaand I'm out of my main KOLD play. Died too fast and I decided to cover.

Back to the volatility mines!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Getting back into UNG at 5
Is paying off. Pretty soon I’ll be even.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1744829327294837236?s=20

probably bad for coinbase long term even if they're an exchange for the ETFs? their fee slices will be poo poo

initial green candle in /btc has already retraced

I hate crypto but this is trader news

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Actually, no

https://twitter.com/GaryGensler/status/1744833049064288387

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1744829327294837236?s=20

probably bad for coinbase long term even if they're an exchange for the ETFs? their fee slices will be poo poo

initial green candle in /btc has already retraced

I hate crypto but this is trader news

well good news then the account was hacked - Elon is very good security

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

just lmao

crypto, of course, is always a scam

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

pmchem posted:

just lmao

crypto, of course, is always a scam

Nice 3000 point swing in 15 minutes on that news though!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

well good news then the account was hacked - Elon is very good security

This is amazing and will surely convince the SEC that the bitcoin market is not manipulated

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Crypto enthusiasts in my Orbit are taking this as good news. You can't trust the fed or the SEC or anything relating to Modern monetary policy. On account of it could be manipulated easily, by... crypto enthusiasts

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

Sorry I'm behind but I'm all out of Natty until NGH drops below $2.50 and KOLD gets a bit more IV juice.

In other news, I'm fully back in the short volatility mines. Had some UVIX and UVXY shorts that died this morning. New set for next week is lined up.

EDIT:

Now shorting WING for earnings as a discretionary/hate trade. Wish me luck goons!

Zephyris fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 11, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/John_Hempton/status/1745918858496762127?s=20

every now and then hempton has real bangers

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I'm unsure why hiring managers from a commodity chemical company to run another commodity chemical company that differs in terms of feed stocks is a sign of idiocy. They probably know a lot of chemists and process engineers.

But I don't know anything about these fund managers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it seems to be less a commodity chemical company and more a hype machine desperately trying to convince the market they can make the novel and untested at scale process they licensed from P&G for cheap work and totally change everything, dude, if everyone keeps throwing enough money at them.

I definitely don't see commodity chemical company CEOs regularly posting to youtube demonstrating the hacks they're implementing to keep the works from getting clogged with diaper beads.

Or posting to youtube at all

Or acknowledging that quarterly figures are dependent on physical objects that exist in meatspace

https://youtu.be/YqvJo2ETeXg

https://youtu.be/_cJgKvUxr4M

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nice viz of recent multiple expansion in tech

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hmm maybe it's time to invest in BYD. Didn't realize that they were in the EU and Aus markets. Hedge for the possibility that these Chinese companies have caught the big Japanese auto makers sleeping and blow past them.

Stock trading under BYDDY (ADR China) and BYDDF (ADR HK).

quote:

It’s Not Tesla in BYD’s Sights. It’s the Whole Car Industry
The Chinese Buffett-backed EV maker is on the cusp of joining the ranks of formerly obscure car brands that conquered the world.

It may be just one-tenth the size of Tesla Inc. in terms of market capitalization, but BYD Co. has just pulled ahead to become the world’s biggest producer of battery passenger cars. For its next trick, it’s going to take on the world.

To many, BYD still remains a little-known car brand, more familiar from business-news articles citing Warren Buffett’s 2008 investment in the Chinese EV maker than sightings of actual vehicles out on the road. And yet the vast volume of its sales in China, combined with a growing number overseas, means it overtook its American rival in the December quarter. The 526,409 delivered over the period pipped Tesla’s 484,507.

This milestone if anything underplays BYD’s growing might. Throw in trucks, buses and plug-in hybrids that use gasoline engines to extend their largely battery-powered range, and BYD’s sales total is 75% higher than the number for pure battery cars, at 918,807. More importantly, on almost every financial metric, the Chinese company is either advancing on, or overtaking its American rival — with its gaze already set on the wider car industry.

While many competitors have struggled amid the wave of discounting that’s hit the EV sector over the past year, BYD has prospered. In contrast to Tesla, which racked up years of losses before turning profitable in 2019, it has hardly ever posted negative operating income — and in the September quarter came within a whisker of the reinvigorated US company’s $1.76 billion result. By owning its own battery supply-chain and focusing on cheaper, less zippy cells that use abundant iron and phosphate instead of scarce cobalt and nickel, it’s managed to lift margins even as materials costs rose.

That translates into industry-beating financial performance. Most Chinese car companies post uninspiring single-digit returns on equity, giving shareholders little reason to prefer their stock to investment-grade corporate bonds that yield 5.8%. BYD, on the other hand, is spitting out profits that have led to the best returns on equity among major automakers worldwide.

Returns on invested capital, a metric that encompasses how successful the company is at generating profits from its asset base, are also the best among volume automakers worldwide, and have risen consistently for the past 18 months to overtake Tesla.

You might expect this performance would induce the sort of shareholder euphoria that has caused Elon Musk’s company to be valued at a 64-times forward price-earnings ratio. Far from it: While BYD’s 13.5 ratio is a premium to the 7.95-times P/E ratio on the Hang Seng Index, it’s priced at a discount to India’s Tata Motors Ltd. and the 19.7-times multiple of the S&P 500, and not far above mainstream automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Ford Motor Co.

After a $12 billion selloff during November, BYD is as cheap as it has been going back to the start of 2010, despite 31 out of 32 analysts putting a Buy rating on the stock.

The most substantive argument against BYD right now is that it has grown too far, too fast. Despite overtaking Honda Motor Corp., Toyota and Volkswagen AG to snatch the crown as China’s best-selling car marque over the past few years, its vehicles aren’t exactly rushing off dealership lots: There were 1.91 cars sitting in inventory for every one that was sold in November, a number that’s grown from 1.04 a year earlier even as prices have fallen about 6.2%. This is high even by the standards of a Chinese industry that’s plagued with oversupply, and suggests flagging consumer appetite for vehicles that most reviewers seem to find more stolid than compelling.

That’s a small negative when placed against the wealth of positive metrics BYD can now boast — and if you think boring cars don’t have a future, it’s worth remembering that the best-selling four-wheeler in history is the Toyota Corolla, or that this entire industry was kicked off by a vehicle that, famously, was usually only available in black.

BYD is already settings its horizons well beyond China, with one in 10 of its cars sold overseas during December, compared to one in 40 in July 2022. The EV maker announced a new assembly factory last month in Hungary, and others are reportedly under consideration in Mexico. Such investments would mirror Japanese and South Korean carmakers, who got around protectionist tariffs since the 1980s by building production lines in key destination markets.

If its current trajectory is anything to go by, BYD’s relatively little-known status outside China is about to change drastically. In years to come, we’ll look back on 2024 as the year it joined the ranks of Tesla, Hyundai Motor Co., Toyota, Volkswagen and Ford as formerly obscure car brands that went on to bestride the world.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I was impressed with BYDs years ago, and they seem to have gotten a lot better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-9tb6ZmyY

Baddog
May 12, 2001
But I also swore I wouldn't invest in chinese companies anymore, after the whole "hey we transferred all our people and assets to another company overnight, so now you own a share of an empty warehouse".

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The value proposition for investing in a car company is so much more complex than it used to be - charging networks, battery technology, government subsidies, supply networks for chips, etc.

I almost question why I would invest in BYD or Tesla when NVDA is such a sure bet

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ubiquitus posted:

The value proposition for investing in a car company is so much more complex than it used to be - charging networks, battery technology, government subsidies, supply networks for chips, etc.

I almost question why I would invest in BYD or Tesla when NVDA is such a sure bet

Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I also feel like we're seeing a public opinion shift away from car dependent infrastructure, and wanting to see a push towards more traditional forms of urban development and more investment in mass transit.

Like, personally I'm still holding a fair bit of F for some reason, which feels more and more stupid as time goes on, and I'm thinking I may get out after the next dividend.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitus posted:

I have a pretty spicy take here: Nvidia has a market cap of 1.35T. In the next 4 - 6 years, the use case of 'AI' will prove to be way more limited then what is currently being suggested, and this company that is selling every enterprise card it can 6 months before it's even produced at jacked up prices will all of a sudden find itself with stock to spare. Nvidia is over-valued on the time scale of several years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty bullish on the idea that the use case for AI is virtually unlimited particularly for stuff like service jobs like cooking and cleaning and sewing garments. Toyota has already applied modern machine learning to robotics arms and doing stuff like flipping burgers and pancakes with very little training data (like, fewer than 100 repetitions) and applied to like 50 common actions (ironing clothes, making a latte etc) and we're only 18 months into all this we don't even have common frameworks yet and barely can agree on shared terminology. We're like 2 years out from dropping the cost of a bipedal android thing by a factor of 10.

That said, yes I think in like 10 years we'll know how to efficiently train and store a "model". Right now we're just brute forcing everything, but eventually we'll look back at A100 GPUs quaintly, as we do today with the CRAY-1 supercomputer being outclassed by a raspberry pi 5 by about 5x. The demand will plummet. I can already train a lovely LLM on a MacBook pro m3. Once you train an adequate model there's no additional need to do it again. I did the math the other day a guy trained an LLM roughly on par with chatgpt 3.5 (as scored by multiple independent parties) using about $350 worth of A100 GPU time; 72 hours x 4 cards I think. We're already getting alarmingly efficient at training these things. A new style of training has come up where they train deep but narrow LLMs and then weave 2-5 together which seems promising.

Right now IMO the only thing that's still a big question mark is how do we now develop the executive function to manage all these AI models we generate

TL;DR bullish on Nvidia for AI for next 2 years, not at all as a long term hold certainly not more than 5

In terms of actual use, we actively use it at work. And we're gonna expand how much we use it by like 5-fold and it's not even a novel use case. Summarizing a PDF into anywhere from one sentence up to five pages is a total game changer for a lot of knowledge industries

I'm real curious to see what comes out of Honda and Toyota they have unlimited research funds, time and patience to tinker with this stuff, and industrial muscle to realize their Gundam destiny. Or just domestic robots. Tesla has shown off some stuff but my money is on Japan still

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/ArtkoCapital/status/1746382117859168532?s=20

if you don't invest in tech, well...

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have a pretty spicy take here: Nvidia has a market cap of 1.35T. In the next 4 - 6 years, the use case of 'AI' will prove to be way more limited then what is currently being suggested, and this company that is selling every enterprise card it can 6 months before it's even produced at jacked up prices will all of a sudden find itself with stock to spare. Nvidia is over-valued on the time scale of several years.

I think you’ll see quantum computing revolutionalize science - and we will 100% need AI for that. It’s nowhere close to over.

That said I have no idea about NVDA’s outlook on making quantum chips, but they’d be dumb as hell to not be considering it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

But I also swore I wouldn't invest in chinese companies anymore, after the whole "hey we transferred all our people and assets to another company overnight, so now you own a share of an empty warehouse".

This is why we as a country are failing. Here it takes years to defraud your investors out of all their money. China, overnight. That's capitalism err communism.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, I pretty much agree. NVDA is a good company, and they are almost certainly going to continue to build strong products that drive a lot of revenue.

But, the stock is up like 500% just in the past 15 months. The market has priced in not only being successful, but wildly so, with continued high demand, little competition, and strong pricing power. Even if demand does stay high for AI hardware, Nvidia has competitors big and small that are taking the challenge pretty seriously. Both Intel and AMD look to be performance competitive (or at least price/performance) in 2024, the only remaining question is if their software will be good enough for the market.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I would have told you ten years ago Broadcom's prospects were poor, and, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Red posted:

I would have told you ten years ago Broadcom's prospects were poor, and, well

10 years ago, Broadcom had a market cap of <$100B. Theres a lot less room to run for NVIDIA at $1.3T.

Also, I dont think Nvidia (the company) has poor prospects, I think they are going to continue to do well. Nvidia (the company) is going to need to grow a lot to justify the current valuation of Nvidia (the stock), though.