Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so there's a thing people say about scott mcneil where he voiced 3 different characters in gundam wing who had a scene of all 3 talking to each other

here's someone in this very thread saying it uhhhh loving hell 8 years ago

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've always meant to go find a specific scene in Wing that Scott McNeil likes to bring up, in which he voices every single character in the scene. I believe he said it was on Barge, and it was just a bunch of nameless soldiers, but he actually voices every person there.

does anyone happen to know what the scene in question is? is it real lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't think of the exact instance but I can absolutely believe there's a scene where he does that.

Also funny to realize is that Scott is the English voice for Gym Ghingham from Turn A Gundam from one of the video games released when Ocean was still doing most of the Gundam dubs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely hate the gaudy design of the Strike Freedom but it's very goddamn effective as a mobile suit design. Brimming with weapons, hand-free defenses against beam and physical attacks, likewise capable of doing beam or physical attacks in response as needed, its beam rifles can be deployed separate for faster firing or combined for heavier hitting, its beam sabers can do the same. (How does combining two swords into one darth maul saber make things stronger? gently caress you, that's how, the Gelgoog doesn't need to explain poo poo to you.) Even its drat wings are multi-purpose since they improve its flight capabilities in atmosphere and can be spun off into funnels in space.

In terms of a general all-purpose mobile suit that can be effective in almost every situation it is hard to beat. Maybe not underwater but that is true of most mobile suits. That is why the Acguy is the true pinnacle of mobile suit design.

Weirdly enough, the Reginlaze is mentioned in the side material as being good underwater in spite of IBO's complete lack of aquatic fights. Just Gjallarhorn being thorough I guess.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Also funny to realize is that Scott is the English voice for Gym Ghingham from Turn A Gundam from one of the video games released when Ocean was still doing most of the Gundam dubs.

It was Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and the line he says when you select his character is forever burned in to my brain.

"Today I am feeling good WITH A CAPITAL G!" :black101:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The only thing I don’t like about the Strike Freedom is the gold plated joints and chest laser. The Rising Freedom, though, might be my favorite version, right behind the Destiny Gundam

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

SgtSteel91 posted:

The only thing I don’t like about the Strike Freedom is the gold plated joints and chest laser. The Rising Freedom, though, might be my favorite version, right behind the Destiny Gundam

If the Strike Freedom wasn't a loving bling machine for no reason I'd almost certainly have a Gunpla of it. The Freedom design in general is a top tier protagonist Gundam design, puts a bunch of my favorite Gundam mecha pieces together into one unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strike Freedom would be better without the unnecessary bling but it feels a little bulky to me. Classic and Rising are both better designs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, it is capable of wielding its sword one-handed, so giving someone the world's most hostile facepalm in close quarters isn't that much of a challenge.

Honestly, I actually kind of respect the Strike Freedom for how elegant and ergonomic its design is. Every part serves a purpose, letting its pilot choose the perfect tool for the job with a minimum of fuss.

I will never like the Strike Freedom (or Infinite Justice) solely on the design choice of making the inner frame metallic gold (and silver). Everything else is fine or cool. But those metallic joints take the design from a solid B or A tier and punts it straight into F tier in my eyes.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rising Freedom looks decent but the mobile armor form is incredibly stupid. Regular Freedom is a classic. Strike Freedom just loving sucks and overdesigns and clutters a great already flashy design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Rising Freedom looks decent but the mobile armor form is incredibly stupid. Regular Freedom is a classic. Strike Freedom just loving sucks and overdesigns and clutters a great already flashy design.

Not going to lie, I find most MA forms pretty dumb in a bad way. One of the few I actually like is Aegis Gundam which is dumb in a fun way.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I agree with both of those points too, I just have special hatred for Rising. The suit already has wings!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I go back and forth. Sometimes I find the SF extremely gaudy and almost overdesigned. The next time I am impressed they managed to cram so many weapons and options into a single MS and still keeping it looking pretty clean.
Modern (model kits) designs of it and their proportions help the latter a lot though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with Destiny Gundam, which I otherwise like, is the completely inexplicable choice to give it palm mounted laser canons despite the fact its palms are almost always occupied.

Lowe has a Shining Finger too but at least in his case it is 'accidentally overloading the palm power supply' and not an intentional design choice.

If isn't quite '00 Gundam stuck its super valuable reactors on its shoulders' bad but it bugs me, especially since all the other ZAFT nuclear Gundams are designed around being able to use all of their weapons at once.

I don't get what's that weird about this. It's just another weapon in the arsenal, to be used if another weapon isn't adequate or available, which fits the overall design's "big pile of weapons" concept; the Destiny already has more weapons than it can use at the same time even without the palm cannons - beam rifle, beam cannon(which requires at least a hand to fire), boomerangs, and the sword(which can be used one handed but is frequently two handed).

There's a lot of mobile suits that have more weapons than they can use at once and have to put down one weapon to access another. The Freedom is actually kind of unusual in that it has a bazillion weapons that are all integrated into the frame and designed to be used simultaneously, which is why its trademark attack is firing all weapons simultaneously.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Strike Freedom definitely improves on regular Freedom by making all that extraneous kibble serve a clear purpose - those huge, silly-looking wings becoming drone bays was particularly inspired. It's just a very obviously well-designed machine that doesn't really feel like an advancement of technology so much as a stroke of genius from a very talented designer making the very best of their available resources. Just pure, lethal efficiency.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a genuine question to people who know like, statistics and fan reactions and poo poo: did/do people actually like Shinn? Because I'm far enough in the series now that it's basically impossible for him to have any kind of meaningful character arc, he's just this angry, smug, rear end in a top hat the entire way through who never learns anything.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

If isn't quite '00 Gundam stuck its super valuable reactors on its shoulders' bad but it bugs me, especially since all the other ZAFT nuclear Gundams are designed around being able to use all of their weapons at once.

Destiny's design more makes sense when you consider that it's not an extension of Freedom and Justice, it was circling back to what they originally planned for Freedom to be but dropped when they weren't happy with how the designs were turning out at the time

The original concept for Freedom was for it to be a powerful Gundam that combined all the abilities of the Strike into one, like a practical version of Perfect Strike. It's got the big sword, the big gun and the high maneuver mode all at once, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So a genuine question to people who know like, statistics and fan reactions and poo poo: did/do people actually like Shinn? Because I'm far enough in the series now that it's basically impossible for him to have any kind of meaningful character arc, he's just this angry, smug, rear end in a top hat the entire way through who never learns anything.

Shinn isn't remotely as popular as Kira/Lacus, but he's quite popular. He shows up front and center on a lot of merch and is center stage on SEED Freedom promo posters, which he wouldn't if everyone hated him.

Shinn has a fairly defined arc. It's just not an arc that ends up in a good place for him. Kira's the one who doesn't have an arc in Destiny, because he starts and ends at virtually the exact same place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

Shinn isn't remotely as popular as Kira/Lacus, but he's quite popular. He shows up front and center on a lot of merch and is center stage on SEED Freedom promo posters, which he wouldn't if everyone hated him.

Shinn has a fairly defined arc. It's just not an arc that ends up in a good place for him. Kira's the one who doesn't have an arc in Destiny, because he starts and ends at virtually the exact same place.

I'm on like Episode 40 and Shinn feels exactly the same as episode 1. Any time it feels like there's going to be a moment where maybe he learns something or he realizes something at all every character around him suddenly becomes unable to say anything except "Shinn!" or "Shinn..." over and over again while he yells at them non stop and gets told he's the best pilot in the world. That's just been the entire series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'm on like Episode 40 and Shinn feels exactly the same as episode 1. Any time it feels like there's going to be a moment where maybe he learns something or he realizes something at all every character around him suddenly becomes unable to say anything except "Shinn!" or "Shinn..." over and over again while he yells at them non stop and gets told he's the best pilot in the world. That's just been the entire series.

Shinn's arc is about constantly chasing the delusion that if he just becomes strong enough, he can stop all tragedies everywhere forever, and the tug of war between people trying to snap him out of that delusion(Athrun, primarily) and people deliberately trying to reinforce it for their own ends(Durandal, primarily). It's about someone's rise into becoming a hero before a combination of stubbornness, manipulation, and circumstance sends them plummeting down the sunk cost fallacy hole into being a tool for a villain.

Shinn explicitly does not remain the same person he is in episode 1. He starts the series as a bright-eyed loyal soldier and by the midpoint of the show he's willing to commit treason and when he's questioned about it tell his superior officer to gently caress off to her face. He becomes increasingly alone, unmoored, and adrift as his circle of friends disappear one by one until the only thing he has left is desperately clinging to the hope that Durandal's plan will somehow make everything better again.

Again, Kira is the one who doesn't have an arc in Destiny, not Shinn. Shinn changes a lot, it's just not for the better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shinn probably would've had a more interesting and postive arc if he had killed Kira and realized that it didn't actually accomplish nothing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

Shinn's arc is about constantly chasing the delusion that if he just becomes strong enough, he can stop all tragedies everywhere forever, and the tug of war between people trying to snap him out of that delusion(Athrun, primarily) and people deliberately trying to reinforce it for their own ends(Durandal, primarily). It's about someone's rise into becoming a hero before a combination of stubbornness, manipulation, and circumstance sends them plummeting down the sunk cost fallacy hole into being a tool for a villain.

Shinn explicitly does not remain the same person he is in episode 1. He starts the series as a bright-eyed loyal soldier and by the midpoint of the show he's willing to commit treason and when he's questioned about it tell his superior officer to gently caress off to her face. He becomes increasingly alone, unmoored, and adrift as his circle of friends disappear one by one until the only thing he has left is desperately clinging to the hope that Durandal's plan will somehow make everything better again.

Again, Kira is the one who doesn't have an arc in Destiny, not Shinn. Shinn changes a lot, it's just not for the better.

You keep bringing Kira up and I'm not even comparing them. Your defenses of this lovely series are always weird, man.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Shinn probably would've had a more interesting and postive arc if he had killed Kira and realized that it didn't actually accomplish nothing.

This would have been incredibly interesting, actually. It certainly would have given Athrun's development a huge kick in the rear end.

Sadly we can never, ever kill The Super Marketable Popular Guy.

Nuebot posted:

You keep bringing Kira up and I'm not even comparing them. Your defenses of this lovely series are always weird, man.

The point of bringing up Kira is that you say "Shinn has no arc" and I'm bringing up a character who actually has no arc as a point of reference to show what that actually looks like. I could just as easily bring up Destiny Lacus, or Banagher from Unicorn.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 12, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

The point of bringing up Kira is that you say "Shinn has no arc" and I'm bringing up a character who actually has no arc as a point of reference to show what that actually looks like. I could just as easily bring up Lacus, or Banagher from Unicorn.

It reads more like you're just really trying to imply more depth to a shallow character than there is. Shinn loving off to do whatever he wants and telling everyone to get stuffed because there are zero consequences for him ever is literally a constant through the entire series. Like in the first battle after Athrun returned where Athrun told him not to run off, and he runs off, and an entire submarine gets blown up while he shoots up a military base of soldiers who couldn't fight back and when Athrun asks him if he thought he did the right thing Shinn just says yes. Even at the very beginning when he first pilots the Impulse against Stellar and her crew we have people telling him not to chase them too far out and he does it anyway. Him running off to return Stellar to Neo wasn't ground breaking character development, it was entirely consistent with him from the start. Him being surly and shirking authority is entirely consistent. And the entire way the narrative, and characters around him, do nothing but reward him and tell him he's actually great for doing all of this. He's a flat plane of a character, and he certainly hasn't lost any of his friends since everyone except Athrun still love him and worship him for being an awesome super ace pilot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

It reads more like you're just really trying to imply more depth to a shallow character than there is. Shinn loving off to do whatever he wants and telling everyone to get stuffed because there are zero consequences for him ever is literally a constant through the entire series. Like in the first battle after Athrun returned where Athrun told him not to run off, and he runs off, and an entire submarine gets blown up while he shoots up a military base of soldiers who couldn't fight back and when Athrun asks him if he thought he did the right thing Shinn just says yes. Even at the very beginning when he first pilots the Impulse against Stellar and her crew we have people telling him not to chase them too far out and he does it anyway. Him running off to return Stellar to Neo wasn't ground breaking character development, it was entirely consistent with him from the start. Him being surly and shirking authority is entirely consistent. And the entire way the narrative, and characters around him, do nothing but reward him and tell him he's actually great for doing all of this. He's a flat plane of a character, and he certainly hasn't lost any of his friends since everyone except Athrun still love him and worship him for being an awesome super ace pilot.

Athrun going "Shinn you're being dumb, stop" and Shinn going "hmm how bout no" is part of the process. To make another Gundam comparison, Amuro was a stupid rear end in a top hat for most of Gundam. Bright slapping him in the face and saying "you loving idiot" didn't immediately make Amuro go "ah yes, I will learn from this", it made Amuro say "gently caress you" and double down. It took a lot of personal fuckups and suffering for Amuro to develop from "sullen traumatized kid" to what he becomes. Hell, the protagonist being a stupid loving rear end in a top hat who refuses to learn from their mistakes until they gently caress the pooch royally is basically traditional in this franchise - it's weirder when it *doesn't* happen. Destiny's take is "what if when that pooch-loving happened, the protagonist got taken in by the bad guy instead".

The Minerva is an empty shell of a ship by the latter half of the show. Rey is gone because he's transformed into Durandal's personal enforcer, Heine is introduced and dies almost immediately, and Athrun and Meyrin are gone because (as far as they know until the climax of the show) Shinn obeyed orders and literally killed them for treason. Shinn and Luna develop a romantic relationship primarily because both of them are loving devastated by how badly things have gone and the only people they have left to lean on are each other.

Destiny fucks up its execution in numerous ways and isn't a good show overall, but I make these replies because it seems like you're largely ignoring what's there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

Athrun going "Shinn you're being dumb, stop" and Shinn going "hmm how bout no" is part of the process. To make another Gundam comparison, Amuro was a stupid rear end in a top hat for most of Gundam. Bright slapping him in the face and saying "you loving idiot" didn't immediately make Amuro go "ah yes, I will learn from this", it made Amuro say "gently caress you" and double down. It took a lot of personal fuckups and suffering for Amuro to develop from "sullen traumatized kid" to what he becomes. Hell, the protagonist being a stupid loving rear end in a top hat who refuses to learn from their mistakes until they gently caress the pooch royally is basically traditional in this franchise - it's weirder when it *doesn't* happen. Destiny's take is "what if when that pooch-loving happened, the protagonist got taken in by the bad guy instead".

The Minerva is an empty shell of a ship by the latter half of the show. Rey is gone because he's transformed into Durandal's personal enforcer, Heine is introduced and dies almost immediately, and Athrun and Meyrin are gone because (as far as they know until the climax of the show) Shinn obeyed orders and literally killed them for treason. Shinn and Luna develop a romantic relationship primarily because both of them are loving devastated by how badly things have gone and the only people they have left to lean on are each other.

Destiny fucks up its execution in numerous ways and isn't a good show overall, but I make these replies because it seems like you're largely ignoring what's there.

Amuro, even Kamille, stopped being insufferable shits a lot earlier than the last loving ten episodes. Athrun and Meyrin disappear in episode 36 of a 50 episode series. Rey was never super close to anyone except Shinn as far as the show has shown.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

This is exactly my thoughts about Shin. It’s a fall from grace, despite Arthrun relating to Shin’s pain and trying to impart wisdom it’s countered either a tragedy that reinforces Shin’s view or Rey and Durandal reinforcing it. He has negative character development and shows why Durandal is a bad guy.

For Kira, I think his arc is him realizing that shooting up with his Gundam then leaving it to the politicians to figure out peace in the aftermath while sitting with his girlfriend on Earth didn’t work. And while Durandal’s Destiny Plan talks a big game about ending war and conflict, 1) Durandal is the last person to decide everyone’s place given how Meer, Rey, and Shin end up and 2) having your life chosen for you isn’t living because to dream and strive for a future is to be human. So at the end he ends up committing to the paradoxical goal of fighting for a world without conflict. It’s why he asks Shin to fight with him at the end of Seed Destiny and why he’s part of that COMPS organization piloting the Rising Freedom in the Seed Freedom Movie.

Edit:

But the best characters are the DOM trio

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 12, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SgtSteel91 posted:

But the best characters are the DOM trio

The original spec version of the DOM shoots 100 bazooka rounds per minute. Hey ZAFT, what the gently caress?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

The original spec version of the DOM shoots 100 bazooka rounds per minute. Hey ZAFT, what the gently caress?

The Zaku II managed 280 rounds a minute on the machine gun. Considering that thing is the same size as the primary cannon on an Abrams, it's not a bad bit of precedent. The main question is how many rounds it holds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Finished Destiny. final thoughts:

This series reused animation absurdly often. Like, I know literally every gundam show does all the time, but drat the last few episodes were really bad about it especially, not even hiding it in any way and just straight up reusing the exact same shots.

Shinn sucks.

hosed up that Gladys just willingly nopes out on her kid and just hopes murre takes him in I guess.

Also what the gently caress happened to Kira's dad? His mom is around and fine, but unless I missed a scene somewhere, Callagi's old freedom fighter buddy shows up in this one more than he does.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with Destiny Gundam, which I otherwise like, is the completely inexplicable choice to give it palm mounted laser canons despite the fact its palms are almost always occupied.

Lowe has a Shining Finger too but at least in his case it is 'accidentally overloading the palm power supply' and not an intentional design choice.

I think the Watsonian excuse (I.e.: besides "Shining Finger LOL") is that the palm cannons are supposed to be midrange, anti-armor/MA weaponry. Shinn doesn't ACTUALLY have to shoot them at point-blank range, in fact I remember a video from a while back showing the Destiny's first outing in a videogame a little bit prior to its appearance in the show had it firing the palm cannons as cannons and not melee weapons. In theory it means that the Destiny has a good range of weapon options for a variety of engagements, having a variety of ranged and melee weapons. In practice Shinn yelled really loudly and hit things there wasn't really a good reason to not put the palm cannons on its wrists or something.

Gaius Marius posted:

I would have settled on "Shinn and Kira have an actual rear end conversation and Kira has to deal with the fallout of the people he accidentally killed/got killed."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HSPmD3bg8

So apparently three cancelled American Gundam adaptations have been found in the Library of Congress

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colony 4GV9 shows feels way more Super Robot meets Saturday morning cartoon than Gundam lamo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HSPmD3bg8

So apparently three cancelled American Gundam adaptations have been found in the Library of Congress

lol that is bizarre

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That period in the mid 90's when Japanese studios chased Power Rangers style adaptations of their properties is weird and it's kinda of amazing it didn't hit more series. Wonder if it would of continued if we didn't have the Pokemon anime hit it big by being a pretty faithful adaptation for the time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's very funny that they keep trying to put aliens in it. Reminds me of Power Rangers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, so thunderbolt just ends like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's very funny that they keep trying to put aliens in it.
tbf gundam would eventually go that route too.

at this point itd be kinda interesting to get a tv series that just full on commits to it. seed only has a brief mention of the possibility, 00's are only in the movie, and AGE sort of backpedals on it. i think a first contact story with a gundam flavor could actually be pretty good, if done well.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 14, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbf gundam would eventually go that route too.

at this point itd be kinda interesting to get a tv series that just full on commits to it. seed only has a brief mention of the possibility, 00's are only in the movie, and AGE sort of backpedals on it. i think a first contact story with a gundam flavor could actually be pretty good, if done well.

Well, there's always Build Divers Re:Rise.

The thing that gets to me about the first pitch is how defensive it is about not being like other shows, while not actually bothering with either characters or anything to show where the Gundam merch is supposed to fit in. The others, I can at least see how they'd work if they were picked up and why kids would be expected to buy Gundam figures. That last one... no idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1744777967841235041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

Huh, so thunderbolt just ends like that.

You need to start reading the manga, it is so good. So many people just get to the end of the anime and give up there, and that’s such a shame.