Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

saltburn, lol. what a ridiculous movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The Maltese falcon.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
boogie nights -> magnolia back to back. feel like anderson was really into coen bros when making boogie nights.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Bonjour Tristesse. Not the kind of film I usually watch, but it was thoroughly riveting. The protagonist comes across as scheming and independent but also not necessarily the sharpest knife in the chest, which made for interesting viewing. I wonder if it had Code approval; I recall reading that Preminger was one of the filmmakers who managed to chip away at the Code partly by independently funding many of his own films (he had the producer credit on this one) and successfully releasing them without Code approval. The father's lifestyle seems like it would have run afoul of numerous provisions in the Code, but perhaps it's kept just vague enough to have "passed."

I got the tude now posted:

boogie nights -> magnolia back to back. feel like anderson was really into coen bros when making boogie nights.

I watched Boogie Nights with Anderson's commentary a while back and he cited Scorsese (Raging Bull, specifically) as the main influence on the film. Definitely some Coen Bros-esque antics in there too.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Been gaming too hard on my Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous poo poo to watch many movies lately so I just finished the first of the year, which I got on blu ray as a Christmas gift: The Giant Gila Monster (1959).

50s B-movie in its most distilled form. The monster never appears in the same shot as any of the actors because it’s just an actual live Mexican beaded lizard that they filmed walking around miniature sets and dubbed in booming footsteps sound effects while it walks, then they cut to someone screaming or a vehicle exploding. Sometimes they don’t include any miniatures for scale so you’re just kind of watching a lizard walk around for a bit. The main character is both a hot-rodding greaser and an aspiring rock-and-roller, and I assume the actor was an aspiring musician too who agreed to be in the movie as long as he got to whip out an instrument and sing a few times for no real reason. There are not one but two separate wacky comic relief drunk driver characters.

It’s got heart though, characters are likable and the southwest setting and vibe gives it character. And while I kind of made fun of the effects I did really like them, loved the shots of the lizard crawling over the wrecked train models. Check it out if you like 50s monster b-movies.

Also the first feature film shot and produced in Dallas which is neat since I’ve lived in the DFW metroplex most of my life. It was filmed and shown as a double feature with The Killer Shrews which was also included with the blu ray I got so I’ll probably watch that before too long.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
13 Assassins

Great right up until the actual battle. Superb dramatic performances, beautiful sets and scenery, nice grounded story with some B-movie touches where the redditor villain gets to literally chew scenery. For the actual fight, the choreographers seemed really concerned with making a 13 vs. 200 fight as plausible as the rest of the film. So, just like other descendants of Seven Samurai, the 13 set up an ambush, right, and divide and confuse the attacking force, except most of the devices they use are themselves totally ridiculous. Leaving aside the stampeding bulls, about the fourth time a big CGI wooden wall slid sideways across the screen with no wheels I was fully out of it. Apparently I watched the 'extended' release by mistake, so this may be my fault, but the battle also dragged on for practically a loving hour without a lot of variety in the back half.

The comic relief guy was annoying. I'm not sure I watch enough anime to authoritatively call him 'anime' but yeah

Punch Drunk Love

I didn't know much about this except it was by PT Anderson. Because of the director I was expecting this to be something like 160 minutes long and considerably grimmer. Instead it's a small, sweet love story where Phillip Seymour Hoffman has a great bit part and my beautiful wife Emily Watson never wears a bra.

With 13 Assassins, another cautionary tale about misdirected horniness.

Collateral

I watched this twice in a month, the second time with my mother, who was clearly getting impatient in the last half hour. Can't really blame her. It does fall off pretty steeply the moment the taxi crashes. For my part, I was annoyed because my parents' big expensive new TV and speaker bar were both garbage. You could barely make out a third of all the lines, the dark scenes (about 3/4 of the movie) looked like youtube videos, and fullscreen didn't work right over the HDMI connection, leaving a line of pixels around the edge. I'm sure they just picked up whatever crap Costco was pushing. Anyway, Collateral remains one of my favourite movies, but I may have learned a lesson about trying to proselytise this stuff to my parents. Or maybe I'll be driving myself crazy trying to get Miller's Crossing to look right on their screen next Christmas, who knows.

As for the actual movie, I don't know. It's always easier to pick out things I dislike, but there's so little to dislike outside the little stall after the crash – but the fact that you can pick out the exact 5-minute period where the pace falters just shows how perfect and propulsive the rest of the film is. Collateral is a pared back, essential kind of machine, like a lathe maybe. A single motor drives the whole assembly, spinning smoothly in its housing as the director lets more and more characters bite into its gears, more parts converge on the axis of rotation. The look of it, the absence of stage lighting, the focus on the materials of the environment, often reinforces this impression of some kind of industrial artefact for me. The scratched plastic partition, the shattered windshield, the asphalt and concrete of the roads and metro; Vincent variously lit by back-alley floodlights, sodium street lamps, nightclub lasers, fluorescent hospital bulbs; silhouetted against the predawn constellation of city lights. The headlights reflected from the eyes of a coyote. It reminds me of working in a factory, the lights all white and straight overhead, bouncing dully off every grimy steel surface.

And the lines, man, God. The way Mann has three or four characters end a sentence with '...like that' to mean 'etc' or 'and so on', a phrase I've never heard outside this movie. It shows they mean business. They come from the world of special ops guys who 'go into the private sector'. They can identify 'real tradecraft'. They 'watch their background' and know those SWAT hand signals. That sublime first taxi ride with Max and Annie flirting over their knowledge of surface street traffic patterns.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Bonjour Tristesse. Not the kind of film I usually watch, but it was thoroughly riveting. The protagonist comes across as scheming and independent but also not necessarily the sharpest knife in the chest, which made for interesting viewing. I wonder if it had Code approval; I recall reading that Preminger was one of the filmmakers who managed to chip away at the Code partly by independently funding many of his own films (he had the producer credit on this one) and successfully releasing them without Code approval. The father's lifestyle seems like it would have run afoul of numerous provisions in the Code, but perhaps it's kept just vague enough to have "passed."

I watched Boogie Nights with Anderson's commentary a while back and he cited Scorsese (Raging Bull, specifically) as the main influence on the film. Definitely some Coen Bros-esque antics in there too.

It’s specifically the donut shop robbery that wa so 100% a coen bros move. The format shifting to show multiple perspectives felt like classic coen too

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The Iron Claw. Solid movie. Well done and very sad which is to be expected. Kind of wondering if the film originally wanted to have a more supernatural approach because there's a very brief scene where you think you see David's ghost, and then nothing until the end when all the dead brothers join each other. But probably would've been a bad decision to have the dead brothers hovering about in the background the entire film. Although it wouldn't surprise me if on a rewatch they were actually in the background of a few more scenes.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

MJF got his poo poo in

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ted episodes 1 and 2

im a tedhead now

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The King of Comedy. Felt incredibly relevant in 2024. Honestly this clicked with me more than the other Scorsese movies I’ve seen.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The Boy and the Heron was lovely

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The King of Comedy. Felt incredibly relevant in 2024. Honestly this clicked with me more than the other Scorsese movies I’ve seen.

have you seen After Hours

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lester posted:

The Boy and the Heron was lovely

have you seen After Hours

It’s on my list!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

A Serious Man

Amazing cinimatography, loved the score, and the ending is absolutely phenomenal. Story is loving brutal lol.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Anatomy of a Fall

It’s a great courtroom drama and also a really good marriage movie. This movie owns. It owns!!!!!!

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Leadthumb posted:

A Serious Man

Amazing cinimatography, loved the score, and the ending is absolutely phenomenal. Story is loving brutal lol.

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

A Serious Man

such a good movie. Sy Ableman ftw

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Leadthumb posted:

A Serious Man

underrated kino

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Can Sussman eat? Sussman can't eat.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
We can't know everything

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grand budapest hotel. loving rules

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

it rules so much, my favorite Anderson movie

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

:hai:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

symbolic posted:

it rules so much, my favorite Anderson movie

its a great movie but I can't imagine it being a favorite compared to like Rushmore but yes it is fantastic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

its a great movie but I can't imagine it being a favorite compared to like Rushmore but yes it is fantastic

tbh i havent seen Rushmore, not most of my Anderson movies. tierlist as as follows

Budapest > Asteroid City > Tenenbaums > Fantastic Mister Fox

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
GBH is probably his best but Bottle Rocket will always be my fave.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cars

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

symbolic posted:

tbh i havent seen Rushmore, not most of my Anderson movies. tierlist as as follows

see Rushmore and Life Aquatic

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

rushmore is s+ tier

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i still need to see rushmore but life aquatic is my #1

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

go freakin watch life aquatic!!!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

go freakin watch life aquatic!!!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Isle of Dogs is ok. Not the best, but worth a watch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Conspiracy (2001)

Kenneth Branagh was pretty good on this as Heydrich, it's a really tense and well made movie, surprised it was a made for TV thing for HBO.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

May December - Occasionally funny but…all these people spent this time making this movie and I don’t really know why. Natalie Portman was insane basically throughout. The acting was good but…what was the point?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Killers of the Flower Moon. Had been holding off because my grandpa wanted to see it too and he’s too old for sitting in a theater for three and a half hours anymore. Great movie, I’ve seen a lot of people say that it’s Scorsese’s best and while I’m not sure I agree, I’m not sure I disagree either. Loved DiCaprio’s performance and character as being a dimwit that you can almost sympathize with as just someone blinded by greed and manipulated by de Niro’s absolutely diabolical character and just too stupid to realize what the obvious next step in the plan would be, but he crosses the line too far too often to deserve it. The scene after he testifies against Hale and unburdens himself and says that his soul is clean, but still can’t admit to Mollie that he was poisoning her insulin, is going to stay with me a long time and I’m still wondering if he truly knew what he was doing and was lying to her or if he was in denial and lying to himself, though he clearly knew what he had been doing at least in the back of his mind even if he didn’t want to admit it to himself.

I can see why Lily Gladstone is getting all the awards buzz too even in a cast as stacked as this one, her character was fairly stoic throughout but when she does cut loose a bit she’s an incredible actress.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Rewatched Hana-bi/Fireworks. I was really swept by the orchestral score this time around, as well as by the paintings (which were actually done by Kitano).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

e1 of s4 of true detective. can’t decide if it’ll be as bad as s5 of fargo or not but the pilot was rear end

probably just gonna rewatch scavengers reign again during the snowstorm here instead