Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Has anyone had luck with a different sized center pad for Shoei? I had a medium Qwest that fit fine but I get forehead pain in my RF-SR after an hour or so. I've dealt with it for a bit now and was debating just trying a RF1400 but if a 5mm pad alleviates it that would be ideal.

It's worth trying, especially with the price point of the helmet. Changing cheek pad sizes on my old Shoei helped out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thinking about getting an HJC i90 as a cheapo modular to run errands in. Anybody have any experience with one?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Has anyone had luck with a different sized center pad for Shoei? I had a medium Qwest that fit fine but I get forehead pain in my RF-SR after an hour or so. I've dealt with it for a bit now and was debating just trying a RF1400 but if a 5mm pad alleviates it that would be ideal.

It makes more of a difference than you would think. I had similar issues with my X-15 and after playing with the pads it fits really nice with no discomfort and feels better than my old RF-1200 which I was really happy with.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Welp I'm a sucker for product placement and caved in after watching the recent FortNine video on airbag gear. Should get the Helite airbag backpack in a few days. If anyone wants an $800 trip report I'd be happy to share it. Or look in the crash test us thread if fate decides it's been tempted too much.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been eyeing those up too. I'm planning on a lot of track days this season, and my drat near 40 year old bones aren't nearly as springy as they once were.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hehe I was gonna post the airbag video and the one on GoreTex, which certainly now has me discounting anything that uses it as an excuse for high prices.

I think I'd pick the vest only airbag option as I can't stand riding with backpacks on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Despite what the video implies, an Alpinestars Tech-Air airbag will (or can) deploy at a stop or low speeds. It's called "street mode" which is distinct from "race mode" which generally will not deploy at sub 30mph. I am also 99% sure it does not require a GPS connection. It can determine your speed with its accelerometers (if you accelerated at 10ft/s/s for 6 seconds, you are going 60ft/s). Whether you want an electronic airbag or a tethered one is a legitimate decision, but don't let that smug disingenuous dweeb make it for you. I can post pics from the tech air user manual if anyone is interested.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I bought the Held version of the Helite turtle and it's really neat.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Question for anyone sporting a modular helmet - did you end up making use of the flip-up feature as much as you thought you would? Ie. did the added cost/complexity/weight end up being worth it, or would you have actually been just as well off (if not better) with a traditional full-faced lid?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Having never owned or worn one the only use cases I can think of that make any sense are moto courier/delivery person or motorcycle cop.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you considered fat middle aged uncle going to the cafe as a use case?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

That's not merely a use case, that's the target customer demographic

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I’m considering it now. Why doesn’t the uncle just remove his helmet when he gets to the cafe?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

moxieman posted:

I’m considering it now. Why doesn’t the uncle just remove his helmet when he gets to the cafe?

You have to carry it around and put it down.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Surely an uncle bike, being essentially a dadbike, has a helmet lock on it??? Or a top case??????

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

How else am I going to drink this latte on the go?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets be very clear here: The uncle bike is NOT the same as a dadbike. The dadbike is very well defined in this forum, however the uncle bike tends to be more of what you'd call a "Softball cruiser", aka, a cruiserish bike that your uncle would ride to his summer softball league, modular helmet in tow, naturally.

An example of a softball cruiser would be the Yamaha Maxim, a bike with some sporting pretensions mingled in amongst its cruser aesthetics, but ultimately succeeding at neither:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

bizwank posted:

Question for anyone sporting a modular helmet - did you end up making use of the flip-up feature as much as you thought you would? Ie. did the added cost/complexity/weight end up being worth it, or would you have actually been just as well off (if not better) with a traditional full-faced lid?

I bought one because I have both motorcycles and a scooter and I thought I’d flip back and forth based on what I was riding. I have an LS2 Valiant II and you can flip up the chin bar and then put the visor down, so this made sense!

But it turns out I like my face at every speed and on any motorized conveyance, so I stopped flipping the chin bar up except to take it off almost immediately.

In the end, it’s just a heavier, shittier helmet than the Arai I got this summer.

YMMV, of course.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I am middle-aged, but neither fat nor an uncle. My use-case is a quick visit to a shop or to grab some takeout, where I'm only going to be there maybe 5-10 minutes, but wearing my helmet inside would feel/look weird. Removing it and doffing it again adds extra time to what should otherwise be a short stop, and having to carry it also makes it more difficult to accomplish what I'm there for since I only got two hands. I don't have a big bike with storage for a helmet (yet), and I can't just leave it on the bike cause there's a strong chance it will get stolen or otherwise hosed with. I guess I'm just looking for some perspective from someone that actually owns one and can speak to it's usefulness cause it's a lot of money to spend.

Geekboy posted:

I bought one because I have both motorcycles and a scooter and I thought I’d flip back and forth based on what I was riding. I have an LS2 Valiant II and you can flip up the chin bar and then put the visor down, so this made sense!

But it turns out I like my face at every speed and on any motorized conveyance, so I stopped flipping the chin bar up except to take it off almost immediately.
Oh hey thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on riding with it open at all though, I too like my face as it is.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think the fear is under a heavy impact the chin bar could either open or otherwise fail entirely whereas with a normal full-faced helmet that is more-or-less not a concern. How likely that is is something you'd have to look into I guess, and I personally would asume that Arai, Shoei, et al, have already done the research to make their products safe.

I wouldn't wear a modular helmet, but I can see why someone would. I'm comfortable wearing a 2 piece suit on track whereas some people will only wear a 1 piece. It's a personal risk/reward decision.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How else would I smoke my cigarette while zooming around on the scooter?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Slavvy posted:

My somewhat fat, past middle aged uncle likes his modular so he can spit as he rides.

One of the two instructors at my beginner's course wore a modular as well. He would tour on a Goldwing or FJR and would drink and eat protein bars at speed.

So yeah that's spot on

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I get to the point where I'm riding to work I'll probably get one, the rental bacon at the front gate are 100% badge and face checks at random intervals and having to stop the bike and take the full face helmet off will suck rear end and piss off everyone in line behind me.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just flip it up every time i stop somewhere temporarily, to get more air and to have a wider field of view. Like just stopping to drink, a quick piss, filling up gas etc. Or slowing down to a crawl to get past a gate or other obstacle. I take it off if I'm stopping for more than like 2 mins.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

I think the fear is under a heavy impact the chin bar could either open or otherwise fail entirely whereas with a normal full-faced helmet that is more-or-less not a concern. How likely that is is something you'd have to look into I guess, and I personally would asume that Arai, Shoei, et al, have already done the research to make their products safe.

I wouldn't wear a modular helmet, but I can see why someone would. I'm comfortable wearing a 2 piece suit on track whereas some people will only wear a 1 piece. It's a personal risk/reward decision.

Arai don't make one, no drop-down sun visors or integrated comms either. They're quite dogmatic in not having any unnecessary structural weaknesses. And they're probably right that 1 in a 1000 crash it might be the difference. Kind of admire their commitment to the philosophy, cause they're definitely leaving a lot of money

But as you say, we all make compromises. I think I'd like a flip lid. The nice ones are supposed to be quieter, since the neck roll can be way tighter on account of not having to squeeze your noggin through it. And less noise is less fatigue, which is also a safety feature. Plus, changing snus without taking the helmet off would be sweet.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

I think the fear is under a heavy impact the chin bar could either open or otherwise fail entirely whereas with a normal full-faced helmet that is more-or-less not a concern. How likely that is is something you'd have to look into I guess, and I personally would assume that Arai, Shoei, et al, have already done the research to make their products safe.
ECE 22.06 addresses this type of failure specifically, so I'll probably be ordering one from overseas as opposed to going with a sketchier DOT version. The new Snell M2020R standard is probably the all-around safest but it doesn't look like any modular lids have been certified under it yet.

Cataffy posted:

The nice ones are supposed to be quieter, since the neck roll can be way tighter on account of not having to squeeze your noggin through it. And less noise is less fatigue, which is also a safety feature.
This is a big part of it for me too. Unless I'm wearing a thick gaiter I get tons of air intrusion around my neck and even when wearing earplugs it's really detracts from the fun. Makes it hard to enjoy music while on long rides as well.

My biggest problem now is I can't decide between the Shoei Neotec 2 (or 3?) or maybe the Schuberth C5. Drop-down sun shield (or photo-chromatic visor option) and built-in coms are required.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

How else am I going to drink this latte on the go?

taking a drink without removing my helmet is the only reason I'm buying a modular this year

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

bizwank posted:

My biggest problem now is I can't decide between the Shoei Neotec 2 (or 3?) or maybe the Schuberth C5. Drop-down sun shield (or photo-chromatic visor option) and built-in coms are required.

Those are the two I'm looking at as well. I think they have slightly different head shapes (C5 slightly rounder), so best fit is probably the kicker.

Both use Sena integrated comms. I prefer cardo, and Shoe offers an adapter, which does make it slightly less integrated. In Europe at least the Neo 2 is heavily discounted, and will continue to go down on price as it will be illegal to sell ECE 22.05 in the near future.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Anything that's integrated is going to be worse than standalone comm for a variety of reasons. Avoid them if you can help it

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Figured this might be useful to someone: I bought these heated gloves a few weeks ago and have been using them regularly. What was appealing to me about these gloves is that they can run on batteries or on bike power, but they are a bulky at the wrist when the batteries are inserted. Another feature is that the heating element goes all the way around the fingertips. I previously tried and returned these battery-powered gloves because I could feel cold setting in at my fingertips just walking around outside on a cold day.

I chose heated gloves over heated grips because I do a fair amount of city riding. I'm often covering the clutch and brake, so my fingers are exposed. My main problem when I ride is my finger tips get cold and numb. The wiring setup was also very simple: I just attached leads to the battery and let the port stick out under my seat, didn't even have to run it under my gas tank. The port then attaches to a removable Y-wire at the bottom of my jacket that runs up the sleeves to the gloves. I've also used these commuting on my bicycle. The insulation is good enough that I can leave the gloves unpowered on warmer days.

The heating is strong but uneven. The back of my hand gets a lot hotter than my fingers, though I know my fingers have a lot more surface area. The highest setting can actually be uncomfortably hot on the back of my hand on bike power, even at speed. Meanwhile, I don't feel much heat on the palm side at all. I usually run them at the lowest setting or let them heat up on high and then power down after a minute. Also the wire in the jacket is long, so the leads are just dangling around when you're off the bike, unless you tuck them in. I think they're pricey, but hard to say that they're "overpriced."

I did run into a weird electrical hiccup I mentioned in another thread, but that resolved on its own.

Anyway, on balance, I can recommend these. I do wish there were more options on the market for heated gloves though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are many companies producing heated gloves for a lot less than $280, including Milwaukee, Gerbing or Hotwired and those are popular enough to have reviews going back nearly a decade.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwired-12v-heated-leather-gloves
Those are routinely on sale for about $120 in the summer

Or use whatever glove you have with a heated insert for less
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwired-12v-heated-glove-liners

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I finally got a new Helmet and can ditch the Sedici, they have these for $400 at motorcyclegear.com right now, pretty good deal. Several Prologue colors and sizes for this deal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is anyone planning on buying the new Alpinestars Supertech R10 helmet? Have any of y'all managed to try one on?

I'm in the market for a new helmet and thinking of either the X15, RPHA 1N, or the A*.

All of my helmets have been in the Shoei RF line so I'm curious if the A* will fit my head. Hopefully it's not too hard to locate one to try on later this month.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I posted a few weeks ago asking about luggage for my new bike. I was hoping to find something that could sit on my bike full-time for easy city commuting. Now that my bike is in, I can tell it's way too small for a setup like that. It would drive me crazy to be bumping or backing against a bag or box constantly, especially on rides where I'm not even packing anything.

I opted to upgrade my 10+ year old GoRuck bag with the Kriega Max 28 and holy poo poo. It's a world of difference in terms of comfort. I really wish I had done this sooner. Once I adjusted the straps correctly, it barely felt like I was wearing a backpack at all. 9.5/10 so far, highly recommend. 0.5 points off for me because I don't need a ton of compartments. I feel like I would have more storage room with just one giant pocket and maybe a smaller pocket for things like cords. But the backpack does fit a full face helmet, so I think I can live with it. And if it's anything like my other Kriega bag, it will last me approximately forever. Really happy with it so far.

I also ordered a cargo net if I need a little extra room for gear (or more likely takeout that can't be put vertically in a backpack). That's a thing I've seen people do and seems like a decent compromise

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

bizwank posted:

I use it a lot and I'm glad it's what I have. The modular is way more comfortable to put on and take off (even more so with glasses) and it's nice to just keep it on when you pop in a shop or the gas station for a few minutes. Keeps your hands free, while also keeping the visit swift.
Is it a must have? Absolutely not. Would I ever ride with it open? Not really.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've been using modular helmets for over a decade now, and I'm now thinking of switching back. Simply because of the weight, noise and form factor.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Can't get one soon enough. Was just grocery shopping and as I was scrutinizing the strawberries I realized I was no longer carrying my helmet?! Quickly retraced my steps and found it in the beer isle, where I had set it down momentarily. Wouldn't happen if I had a modular :argh:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

bizwank posted:

Can't get one soon enough. Was just grocery shopping and as I was scrutinizing the strawberries I realized I was no longer carrying my helmet?! Quickly retraced my steps and found it in the beer isle, where I had set it down momentarily. Wouldn't happen if I had a modular :argh:

I’ve done this, except much later when swinging my leg over the bike :3:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is this a good place to review a motorcycle head unit? All this losing equipment chat reminding me of how my phone just disappeared along with the handlebar mount.

So I got this
https://a.co/d/jiiiepT

Not because it's the best, but because between a coupon, clearance price and Amazon credit, it cost me $27. The reason it's being heavily discounted, it's because there is a newer better version available. And do not concern yourself with the brand name, because like any Chinese mass market product, it's available under different names from different retailers online.

And it works great. Touch screen operates better than the phone screen especially in heavy winter gloves. And since it's linked to my Sena headset, I can simply give my phone commands to navigate, change songs or make phone calls. So Android auto works as intended. Same response time as AA in my car, so no complaints. I plug it directly to USB port that's already installed on my handlebar, but it has many options including direct to battery.

My only concern are how many Amazon reviews mention intermediate disconnect issues, so I'm going to update this review after several thousand miles. But I also made sure to securely tighten and tape all power connectors, just in case.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please do update because if there is anything I can do to make the goldwing more like a car, it’s put a big Apple CarPlay head unit in it.

I might sound like I’m being snarky but I legit want one

Can you post a pic of it on the bike? It’s hard to get a sense of scale from the Amazon pics

E: also is there an easy way to quick disconnect it so it’s not such a theft target in public?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 2, 2024