Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My guess is maybe the demon king was sort of like the king of the chimera ants in Hunter x Hunter after talking to Netero. His idea of coexistence is mostly wiping out humanity and keeping a small, controlled population in something similar to a combination zoo and ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Demon King showing his PowerPoint:

"Look, there are less of us than there are of you so if we just kill off a few thousand more, coexistence is totally possible"

Cut to hero party facepalming

"You guys can totally hang out here for a while, just don't try to stop me or anything"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, it's sort of odd how matter of fact people are about elves in this manga. everyone knows what an elf is and can recognize them on sight, almost no one has met one, and no one particularly cares about meeting one. it's always "oh hey, an elf. anyway, ". mages respect serie, but that's because she's the top mage with an encyclopedic knowledge of spells. she's an authority figure who can give them what they want. her being an elf didn't seem to figure into it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Elves and dwarves also seem to be almost universally included under the umbrella of "humans" by everyone, including elves and dwarves themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
right, i guess we've seen even fewer dwarves than elves.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I think the dwarf count might be slightly higher? but if it is it's by like one.

It is interesting we haven't seen that many dwarves, considering we now know there are just dwarven villages about. Maybe Frieren and Co just haven't stopped in any yet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VideoWitch posted:

I think the dwarf count might be slightly higher? but if it is it's by like one.

It is interesting we haven't seen that many dwarves, considering we now know there are just dwarven villages about. Maybe Frieren and Co just haven't stopped in any yet

iirc old village protector dwarf, booze enthusiast dwarf, and bridge dwarf aside from Eizen, versus just Serie and squats monk aside from Frieren

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

You forgot about milliarde, the 'i'm loving bored so I'll make poo poo up to mess with people' elf

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

iirc old village protector dwarf, booze enthusiast dwarf, and bridge dwarf aside from Eizen, versus just Serie and squats monk aside from Frieren

There was also booze creator elf, which puts it at a tie.

e: drat i gotta remember to finish scrolling down before getting eager to all "UM ACKSHUALLY" someone.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 29, 2023

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I guess while there aren't that many elves around anymore, they tend to leave an impression when they hang around for a moment so people are aware of them. Sometimes the moment might be a few decades before they move on from some random city where they stopped to check out its library, where they visited basically daily to read stuff, sometimes talking a bit about the books they read to people around them. Stuff like that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

sharkmafia posted:

You forgot about milliarde, the 'i'm loving bored so I'll make poo poo up to mess with people' elf

Bless her forevermore.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

spoilers for like chapter 70 something: didn't like the flashback with the hero guy who set himmel up with frieren or whatever happened there. well gonna read some more later, bye.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

the Hero of the South is pretty cool, except for his mustache

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
BLASPHEMER

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No, it's fair.

His mustache is really cool.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
In regards to Dwarf/Elf count, I found another dwarf in the flashback arc. Chapter 110. When Frieren says she needs to return, they do a montage of chatting with different folks, one of them is a dwarf.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

New Chapter!

I love that Frieren immediately tests out the Nightmare Jar

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Maybe her nightmare is where all those onions on the first page come from.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can't imagine how an empire with a powerful ability to project force could ever fall.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
The chapter reminded me of this scene from fire emblem 1 for the nes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Huzzah! posted:

The chapter reminded me of this scene from fire emblem 1 for the nes.

Actually chortling out loud at this

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think this is the first time we've even started to hear much about the overall political structure of the world, which I'd vaguely wondered about from time to time. There was just, like, a Royal Capital and a ruler who's not even named (much less whether he was one king among multiple kingdoms or an emperor), a handful of dukedoms and margraviats and whatnot that are vaguely geographically placed, but not a whole lot of specifics on how they actually relate to one another. Which is fine, really: for the true purposes of the stories being told, none of that needs to be much more than window dressing. But when you're talking about a war wiping out 2/3 of humanity that is a total-collapse-of-society-level of calamity, so it's a miracle that any sort of centralized empire could hold together through all that. It makes for a nice story about the resilience of humanity -- again, since that is exactly the kind of story that the author wants to tell, and not a political story -- but it also still raises further questions. I guess it will also come up again as a philosophical counterpoint to the unified demon empire, so I'm interested to see where that goes.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I agree that this doesn't seem the type of story to go deep into geopolitics. Do we know how long the War lasted? If we start the kill count in Flamme's era then it's been a slow enough process to avoid societal collapse. I think magic (like city wide barriers) would also be a wildcard in how that sort of thing would play out. I think we're going to learn that the Empire fell apart once there was no existential threat

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
122 https://mangadex.org/chapter/f0229ac8-91a8-4711-8fca-748b411db3bd

A useful spell? This is probably one of the biggest plot twists so far!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
How has it taken so long to encounter a spell to ward off cold in an entire region dominated by winter?

And "Frieren will be taking a short break" again :(

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Ah yes, the Armstrong family

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frieren’s ability to introduce amazing one off characters remains unmatched

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

mustached muscle oyaji is one of my favourite archetypes in japanese media

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Swilo posted:

How has it taken so long to encounter a spell to ward off cold in an entire region dominated by winter?

The translations seem to differ a little on this; it's not entirely clear whether the spell really helps against the cold or not.

Mangadex seems to render it as "Stark feels a little warmer, but not enough to make much of a difference" while the official translation is more like "Stark feels warm, but not enough that he's inclined to take his shirt off." I'm not sure which is more accurate, although I think the second one is funnier.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Rand Brittain posted:

The translations seem to differ a little on this; it's not entirely clear whether the spell really helps against the cold or not.

Mangadex seems to render it as "Stark feels a little warmer, but not enough to make much of a difference" while the official translation is more like "Stark feels warm, but not enough that he's inclined to take his shirt off." I'm not sure which is more accurate, although I think the second one is funnier.

Second one is way funnier lol

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
The second one would also contextually make sense since it was brought up twice prior.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
between this guy and kraft ive concluded that the true measure of strength in the frieren world is being able to go shirtless in cold regions

it doesn't really do anything useful, but it lets you show off your rock hard abs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

between this guy and kraft ive concluded that the true measure of strength in the frieren world is being able to go shirtless in cold regions

it doesn't really do anything useful, but it lets you show off your rock hard abs

so why didn't Himmel do it

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
One of these days Stark will actually wind up on the chopping block and the axe will break on his neck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The junk collector posted:

One of these days Stark will actually wind up on the chopping block and the axe will break on his neck.

That would actually be a really funny conclusion to that running gag, although surely this world has some answer for dealing with high-level warriors who commit crimes.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I hope this doesn't get cut from the anime, cause it would make an extremely fun 1/2 of an episode. They should get whoever did VA for Armstrong to voice the guy also to just really hammer the reference further

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fellis posted:

I hope this doesn't get cut from the anime, cause it would make an extremely fun 1/2 of an episode. They should get whoever did VA for Armstrong to voice the guy also to just really hammer the reference further

The anime is a huge hit (better ratings than The Simpsons in the US or Jujutsu Kaisen in Japan, if that's useful context), and it's not exactly Naruto yet when it comes to chapter count, with under 150 chapters and reasonably frequent breaks.

Don't see why the show would cut it. Just might be a while before they get to it, since season 1 is going to finish around chapter 60.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Love that this guy punches doors open.

And I enjoy the melancholy that they so casually attached to that simple spell with the flashback.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It is kinda touching that it turns out Frieren’s thousand+ year odyssey for the most inane, superfluous kitchen appliance-rear end list of spells possible is partly motivated by her master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Not sure that's really a spoiler, I thought it was apparent since the "field of flowers" spell early on. It's such a great character note, though.

I think it also does reflect her genuine philosophical approach to magic, and its conflict with Serie's own views. It's also relevant to the current TV arc, where a big part of the storyline revolves around this cast of eccentric mages, many of whom have pursued their own niche specialties and advanced them in ways previously thought impossible. Even just a hundred years ago, your average mage probably had the same basic toolkit of offensive and defensive spells -- even flight was unheard of, even for Frieren -- and now, like the human society in general, magecraft is undergoing its own Renaissance in the breathing space after the war. Even Serie sees that, even if she probably only respects the ones with the most combat utility against demons.