Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im amazed she passed up a chance for a lifetime of snacks money though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

im amazed she passed up a chance for a lifetime of snacks money though

she said it herself, a lifetime's supply of anything for her would cost way more money than what they found

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Considering their perpetual money problems it does feel like a teeny-tiny, musclecount-wouldn't-miss-it bit of cash couldn't go wrong.

But then, I guess that's not what Himmel would do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We can see from Frieren's suitcase that she does in fact have a limited amount of inventory space, so until banks are invented her wallet only goes so high.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

'this gold could buy MANY grimoires'

'explain how'

'gold can be exchanged for goods and services'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
banks have been invented, but they don't last long enough for frieren. what's the point of depositing money if it will be lost after a couple centuries?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

sharkmafia posted:

'this gold could buy MANY grimoires'

'explain how'

'gold can be exchanged for goods and services'

nah, grimoires are only given in exchange for favors

and they're an excuse for frieren to do favors while not leaving someone indebted

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

There were banks, but Macht crashed them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
macht turns things into an indestructible gold-like substance. it can't be reworked, so it isn't actually valuable.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

nah, grimoires are only given in exchange for favors

and they're an excuse for frieren to do favors while not leaving someone indebted

I'm curious what will happen when Frieren inevitably comes across someone in need of help who has no grimoires / magical items / treasures.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm curious what will happen when Frieren inevitably comes across someone in need of help who has no grimoires / magical items / treasures.

Well, the nightmare pot chapter definitely was meant to demonstrate that it's just an excuse, and frieren will even take a reward that is actively harmful as long as it's intreresting

I'm sure if a person truly needed help and had nothing at all to give she'd just do it for free

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 17, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

She'll wait to see if they really have nothing to offer, or Fern comes along and yells at her, whichever happens first.

Like with Sein.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

macht turns things into an indestructible gold-like substance. it can't be reworked, so it isn't actually valuable.

Finally
Purestrain gold

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

we’re only four chapters out of the flashback rock and we’ve already returned to fine form

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Sounds like somebody missed out on their chance to buy into this exciting new venture of owning shares in Non-Functional Townspeople. Have fun being poor!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So were the people aware when they got turned to gold?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Sounds like somebody missed out on their chance to buy into this exciting new venture of owning shares in Non-Functional Townspeople. Have fun being poor!

Macht complaining on twitter mages are funging his townspeople.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This was a fun chapter, I just wish that someday the author shows Frieren using some of the magic she got as rewards for something.Just a little panel of the magic that perfectly separates egg yolk and white, or that neatly folds your socks for you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The first side adventure we see her go on is for a herbalist that pays her in local knowledge.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
But where does she store the grimoires?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

A jargogle posted:

But where does she store the grimoires?

Oh man I don't ever think I thought about that. Most of the grimoires she's gotten are like large books, and I don't think we see any of them in her suitcase.

I hope there is fanart of her getting a grimoire, learning it, and then eating it afterwards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Oh man I don't ever think I thought about that. Most of the grimoires she's gotten are like large books, and I don't think we see any of them in her suitcase.

I hope there is fanart of her getting a grimoire, learning it, and then eating it afterwards.

Maybe she can store them in that pocket dimension where her staff goes

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I'm pretty sure it's brought up at some point that that's a suitcase of holding that can hold a much larger amount of stuff than it appears to

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 18, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sharkmafia posted:

I'm pretty sure it's brought up at some point that that's a suitcase of holding that, despite appearances, can hold a much larger amount of stuff than it appears to

Yeah maybe it's like the Luggage in the Discworld novels

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I assume she trades them for other grimoires once she's read them.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
she's got a "donate to library" spell, somewhere in the world is an entire wing dedicated to her collection

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
She eats them to gain their knowledge, duh

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She leaves them in mimics to benefit future generations

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Swilo posted:

she's got a "donate to library" spell, somewhere in the world is an entire wing dedicated to her collection

Somewhere is an empty ruin that was a library 80 years ago, that is slowly accumulating the world's largest pile of grimoires.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Grimoires are the wizard equivalent of those nice fancy notebooks you buy, use two pages of, then abandon forever. Just a spell that fits on a Post-It, "Call Frank re sofa(?)," and the rest is blank paper.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the notes app on your phone

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man I love when the first time watchers get an idea and go off on entertaining and wild tangents, and the reality is always so blasé and logical. It's the fun part of an adaptation, getting that new crop of folks wondering about the story bits the manga has already moved past. Why don't they know who Frieren is? They do, they just have other poo poo going on right now. Also the thing about elves being super rare is that people don't necessarily believe they are nearly immortal. After all, they haven't met many super old elves.

And how much they underestimate how insane pretty much every high level mage is. Just a hoot.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I'm enjoying the debate going on right now about how recognizable Frieren 'should' be, when we now know the real reason: "Nah, that elf's rack isn't big enough"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Someone post that fanart with the wrong versions of the hero party

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Someone post that fanart with the wrong versions of the hero party

This one?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yes, thanks.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I love that Eisen isn't even wrong, just more detailed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sharkmafia posted:

I'm pretty sure it's brought up at some point that that's a suitcase of holding that can hold a much larger amount of stuff than it appears to

Recently (well to me since I just powered through all the manga so far in a matter of a couple weeks) Frieren and someone else were talking about how the suitcase holds more than expected, Frieren kind of laughing about it so this is pretty much it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the alternative would be that they are all carrying a bunch of luggage during every traveling scene. there are a lot of traveling scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Frieren is very "the rules are whatever's convenient to the plot. magic, bitches"