Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

"people are pretending" is such a self revealing thing to say. most people don't do that, might just be you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shageletic posted:

Still trying to get past the 1st episode lol

If you can get past the cherry tomato boys scene, you'll be fine

Just kidding it gets way, way worse

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also

https://shop.a24films.com/products/online-ceramics-x-the-curse-cherry-tomato-boys-tee?variant=40132868735025

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Curse owns, the finale being half thematically relevant and half shaggy dog story is what makes it so hilarious, what incredible assholes they were to make this show at all lol

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Holy poo poo, The Curse.

Whether or not you like it is going to depend entirely on how you feel about the finale. You might love every single one of the first 9 episodes and then upon viewing the 10th see your enthusiasm for the show fly away into space. It's one of those kind of shows and I think people should be warned about that.

I personally thought it was awesome, all of it.

I see what you did there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you can get past the cherry tomato boys scene, you'll be fine

Just kidding it gets way, way worse

I know it's an A quality show, I still can't belive that guy is Safdie. But the cringe. The cringe.

One of these days I'll smoke a ton of herb and accept the pain lol

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

John Yossarian posted:

I started watching Northern Exposure for the first time and I really like it, but I kinda hate the character Joel Fleischman. I guess that's weird since he's the main character, but I find him really obnoxious.

Keep watching.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Shageletic posted:

I know it's an A quality show, I still can't belive that guy is Safdie. But the cringe. The cringe.

One of these days I'll smoke a ton of herb and accept the pain lol

All experience in samsara is characterized by suffering.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

mcmagic posted:

The show has some really good moments and it's impossible not to watch Emma Stone do stuff but the finale was terrible and boring. I think a lot of people are pretending to like it to seem cool.
Delurking to say this type of “criticism” is loving wack and maybe you should just let people like what they like instead of trying to figure out why someone would like something you don’t in the most boneheaded way.

FWIW The Curse is my favorite show since Twin Peaks: The Return, for anyone on the fence. There are a lot of shared elements even if they remain pretty different thematically, and I’m glad television like this exists! 100% on board with everything Fielder (and Safdie) does in the future

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Curse feels super adjacent to two of my favorite movies, 3 Women and Safe, and I loved the whole thing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Boy of Joy posted:

Delurking to say this type of “criticism” is loving wack and maybe you should just let people like what they like instead of trying to figure out why someone would like something you don’t in the most boneheaded way.
hey. shh. let people like to believe that other people don't actually like things and are just pretending

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I pretend to like absolutely everything I like because I want to seem cool, i dont actually like anything for real. I don't know what joy is.

There are many of us so leave off of that guy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Boy of Joy posted:

It's sort of like reverse imposter syndrome, where everyone else is just pretending, but that one person is brave enough to call us all out on it.

Wait actually is reverse imposter syndrome just sociopathy?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I see what you did there.

I'm glad someone appreciated me being a cheeky little guy

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I like what the Curse does, but its level of cringe is unlike anything the world has seen before and I am not strong enough to endure it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I watched The Passenger on prime and it kinda had an interesting premise but didn't really go anywhere.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Boy of Joy posted:

FWIW The Curse is my favorite show since Twin Peaks: The Return, for anyone on the fence. There are a lot of shared elements even if they remain pretty different thematically, and I’m glad television like this exists! 100% on board with everything Fielder (and Safdie) does in the future

let em have it! "you're pretending to seem cool" just makes you sound like you're embarrassed you didn't like it or that you so envy the thought of anyone genuinely enjoying something you don't, so you make it up in your head that they're just pretending.

instead of this bad faith bullshit, put some effort into explaining what you don't like about it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've been on a weird sci fi thing on streaming recently

Rebel Moon is so unwatchably bad I don't even think the most ardent Snyderheads are gonna write multiple paragraphs explaining its genius, there is a cool military robot that achieves self-awareness but he's only in it for five minutes and also Charlie Hunnam is there with maybe the worst accent of all time

The Creator is fine if not particularly amazing. Like you know exactly where it's going and what will happen next the entire time but the whole thing looks pretty good, there is a cool child robot that achieves self-awareness but she's in it a little too much and also John David Washington is there giving the most perfunctory protagonist performance since Sam Worthington

Scavenger's Reign is some top tier sci-fi animation and is low key great, but its so low key I'd kind of forget I was watching it so it took me two weeks to finish it, its basically people stranded on an alien planet running into new bizarre poo poo and gasping at it every episode. There is a cool utility robot in it that achieves self-awareness and she's in it just the right amount, and if they ever do a live-action version Elijah Wood should play the creepy guy that gets possessed and Chris Pine should play the embittered captain.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Scavenger's Reign is some top tier sci-fi animation and is low key great, but its so low key I'd kind of forget I was watching it so it took me two weeks to finish it, its basically people stranded on an alien planet running into new bizarre poo poo and gasping at it every episode. There is a cool utility robot in it that achieves self-awareness and she's in it just the right amount, and if they ever do a live-action version Elijah Wood should play the creepy guy that gets possessed and Chris Pine should play the embittered captain.

It's really really good but you also have to be in the mood for some trippy alien animation sequences that aren't necessarily *directly* adding to the story but look cool af

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m always in the mood for that

It was a really cool show. I definitely recommend at least checking it out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Scavenger's Reign sounds great, I'll deffo watch.

I just finished Midnight Mass, which I missed when it came out. It was fine, occasionally very good, occasionally too monologue-y. Big time Stephen King influence.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scavenger's Reign sounds great, I'll deffo watch.

I just finished Midnight Mass, which I missed when it came out. It was fine, occasionally very good, occasionally too monologue-y. Big time Stephen King influence.

This is like an evergreen description of Flanagan's shows. I really like Haunting of Hill House if you haven't watched that, it's my favorite of his. The Midnight Club was somewhat promising but got cancelled before he could finish it up with season 2, so he had to write a postmortem describing what his plan for the characters was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's the first thing I ever saw of his so I was not familiar with the amount of monologuing. Also, I think they cast Riley precisely for his incredibly good "active listening" face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched dr sleep and it was dull and then I watched haunting of hill house and I’m content with never watching his other shows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
His newest one, fall of the house of usher, makes good use of his monologuing style but I wouldn't say it'll win over any flanny haters. It does deliver some gnarly gore tho

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I loved Dr. Sleep

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I loved the first hour of Dr. Sleep and muddled through the middle but the ending is such a dreadful Marvel style "it's time to return...to the source!" style finale that it sucked all the wind out of its sails imho

His other stuff ranges from cool to boring but if you didn't like Hill House I don't think he'll ever hit for you tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

His newest one, fall of the house of usher, makes good use of his monologuing style but I wouldn't say it'll win over any flanny haters. It does deliver some gnarly gore tho

I watched the acid scene and that’s what was missing from hill house

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Flanagan rules and we need more thoughtful monologues in shows. feels very old school and tickles an itch for me I dunno.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's the first thing I ever saw of his so I was not familiar with the amount of monologuing. Also, I think they cast Riley precisely for his incredibly good "active listening" face.
Like you, Midnight Mass was my first exposure to Mike Flanagan and it’s actually my favorite show of all time. The Leftovers is second. I think I just have a thing for shows filled with symbolism dealing with existential crises around death.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

Flanagan rules and we need more thoughtful monologues in shows. feels very old school and tickles an itch for me I dunno.

no we need more goop.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

no we need more goop.

I did watch a ton of Floor is Lava with the kids this weekend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

do people get melted in that one?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

no we need more goop.

we can have both and live in wonderful harmony

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Doctor Sleep is just so long and seems ehh enough that I keep procrastinating. I dig his tight and concise stuff like Oujia/Oculus/Hush. Still haven't gotten into his series for similar reasons.
Gerald's Game I appreciate just for the utter hilarity of the ending reveal and discovering that weird rear end original King story.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fargo season 5
Stuck
The
loving
Landing

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Upsidads posted:

Fargo season 5
Stuck
The
loving
Landing

And not at all in how I expected.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And not at all in how I expected.

Absolutely

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Upsidads posted:

Fargo season 5
Stuck
The
loving
Landing

Incredible tail end, that one!

I lost it at the okiedokie hug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
A Murder at the End of the World was pretty good. A modern detective story, thankfully a totally self contained mini series.

It does a great job cutting back and forth between a fraught, tense, claustrophobic, bordering on horror A story, and a flashback to another murder investigation that's much more like True Detective; companions on the open road, enjoying time in each other's company, etc B plot. It works as a really nice juxtaposition that serves the characters and plot well.

Keeps you guessing, but you can work it all out for sure, feels satisfying. Worth a watch.