Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

currently ripping all my cds again because I am a loving moron and didn’t back up poo poo. don’t be like me back up your poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RandolphCarter posted:

currently ripping all my cds again because I am a loving moron and didn’t back up poo poo. don’t be like me back up your poo poo

the CDs are the backup

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have an external spinning-disk hard drive I had been using as a backup for years before eventually just using it as the primary storage space for my MP3s, which is the main reason I still have them after my last computer exploded. But it's already like 12 years old or something ridiculous like that so I don't trust it to continue living much longer, and now the collection lives on the shiny new m.2 drive on my new computer.

But, and here's the beauty of it, my phone is itself a backup drive. If this computer dies too, I can just yank all the mp3s back off the phone again.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
TruTV paid for I'm Sorry, which is probably the funniest thing I've seen in the last five years.

TruTV was cooking

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

loquacius posted:

I have an external spinning-disk hard drive I had been using as a backup for years before eventually just using it as the primary storage space for my MP3s, which is the main reason I still have them after my last computer exploded. But it's already like 12 years old or something ridiculous like that so I don't trust it to continue living much longer, and now the collection lives on the shiny new m.2 drive on my new computer.

But, and here's the beauty of it, my phone is itself a backup drive. If this computer dies too, I can just yank all the mp3s back off the phone again.

my 20 year old seagate HDDs with my NMP3s collection are still running somehow. external HDs were always terrible tho

also just got a new computer with 10 TB of SSD goodness and more M2 slots :getin:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
these song files are treasured antiques and i will not tolerate any threat to their existence. they will outlive me.

i got poo poo from like '98 in there.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

these song files are treasured antiques and i will not tolerate any threat to their existence. they will outlive me.

I think about this sometime too. A handful of files downloaded 25 years ago and painstakingly transferred from system to system over the years. It is all I have of my history having destroyed the physical objects.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

RandolphCarter posted:

I hope you're not ripping them as mp3s any more

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

uber_stoat posted:

same and I’m big on timestamp preservation, so I can know when I got the song and about when I would be listening to it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
you are not hardcore unless part of your mp3 collection is still in 8.3 character file names

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
audiogalaxy @ 4KB/s

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
im not even going to bother with the new true detective. im getting wise

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

Even the ads of the time convey a lot. It's 2AM and I'm watching news segments about the Christmas rush of 1983, or a VHS rip of everything that aired on MTV one day that year.

This is dangerous knowledge, youtube knew my location and now I'm watching local tv news from the '80s.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe the ending shouldn't have sucked

Tbf the only episode I watched, the first one, also sucked.

The MCU is p consistent, I'll give it that!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm watching Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, and was thinking about how its impressive that the character sort of aged pretty well for a spy whose shtick is making love and sex puns.

Then it got to a scene where he has to use this chunky Acer laptop to get an email through AOL with the whole "You got mail" thing happening, and it made me realise its been almost as long between the release of this movie and now as it was between when they froze Austin Powers in the sixties and unfroze him in 1997.

Considering all the sex comedy characters with a similar schtick in movies that I remember coming out just after 1997 that didn't age well at all, it just made that initial assessment of the character all the more impressive.

Redezga has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Jan 18, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah baby!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

tristeham posted:

im not even going to bother with the new true detective. im getting wise

I watched episode 1 and you have made the right choice. If you want a decent Lady Cop True Detective then Mare of Easttown still holds the title for that imho

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They should have gone full cosmic horror like everybody wanted after the first season.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
One of the greatest bits of all time. Not even close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09D8hAcUzms

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Redezga posted:

I'm watching Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, and was thinking about how its impressive that the character sort of aged pretty well for a spy whose shtick is making love and sex puns.

Then it got to a scene where he has to use this chunky Acer laptop to get an email through AOL with the whole "You got mail" thing happening, and it made me realise its been almost as long between the release of this movie and now as it was between when they froze Austin Powers in the sixties and unfroze him in 1997.

Considering all the sex comedy characters with a similar schtick in movies that I remember coming out just after 1997 that didn't age well at all, it just made that initial assessment of the character all the more impressive.

Austin powers ftw.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Fellatio del Toro posted:

TruTV also made Jon Glaser Loves Gear which ruled

TruTV gave us 3 seasons of Comedy Knockout, the most efficient delivery system for jokes ever to appear on television, as well as Adam Ruins Everything, which was the best educational TV show of all time. Then it was Zaslov’ed, the end.

Edit: snd the first Austin Powers movie was a joy. Bad sequels made people, including me, think they all sucked.

Remulak has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Jan 18, 2024

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In Training posted:

Austin powers ftw.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

yeah you can watch the second one if you want to see the same jokes age badly. the third one is good for the opening sequence and then the rest of the movie is just mike myers hoovering his way through an ungodly mountain of coke

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

Austin powers ftw.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I watched Shrek last night with the kid and the movie holds up. A few pop culture references, but overall a good movie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I found OG Shrek's CGI didn't quite hold up to modern scrutiny last time I saw it, it just seemed so primitive. Writing is still good though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

catching up on The Curse, lol Nathan singing Dead Prez

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Austin powers 2 is very classic hollywood sequel. It's basically the exact same movie with different sets lol. Like home alone 2.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm watching the true detective after dark and so far they're leaning harder into the supernatural

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm watching the true detective after dark and so far they're leaning harder into the supernatural

good, it's 2024 and magic is real

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Regarde Aduck posted:

good, it's 2024 and magic is real

Been playing since '01

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

In Training posted:

Austin powers 2 is very classic hollywood sequel. It's basically the exact same movie with different sets lol. Like home alone 2.

And, relevantly, Wayne's World 2

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/17/business/media/music-magazine-pitchfork-merger-gq.html

whoa theyre finally killing pitchfork

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

And, relevantly, Wayne's World 2

Wayne's World 2 was a massive rush job. I only learned about this recently...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/why-sherry-lansing-threatened-mike-myers-ill-take-your-f-king-house-994864/

quote:

On the surface, Wayne’s World 2 might have seemed like a lighthearted sequel to the massively popular buddy comedy starring Mike Myers and Dana Carvey. But behind the scenes, the lead-up to production was rife with in-fighting — so much that, at one point, it left the film’s star curled up in a fetal position on the couch of one of Hollywood’s biggest execs.

In his new biography of legendary studio chief Sherry Lansing, Leading Lady (out April 25 from Crown Archetype), THR editor Stephen Galloway writes that the then-Paramount chairman made an unfortunate discovery weeks before shooting was due to commence: Myers had heavily based the sequel on the 1949 British comedy Passport to Pimlico — only nobody had bought the underlying rights.

“Mike had always wanted to do Passport to Pimlico as the basis of Wayne’s World,” said SNL creator Lorne Michaels, who produced the comedy. “So he went and wrote it. I think he believed the studio understood that, and I think he even believed they had bought the rights to the other movie so that he was free to use it.”

If the movie had entered into production sans rights, the Pimlico rights holders could have barred the new film from being released; but if Paramount had tried to obtain the rights at that late stage, the process could have taken months, horribly delaying production. Promotional materials and the marketing campaign for the movie would have had to be scrapped at a major cost to the studio.

The only feasible option was to completely rewrite the script.

Furious, Lansing summoned Myers to her office and told him exactly that — in much different (and harsher) words. Remembers one participant in the Myers-Lansing meeting: “She said, ‘How dare you? How dare you put us in this position?’ She turned to Mike and said, ‘We’ll sue you. We’ll take your f—ing house. You won’t even own a f—ing home.'”

The verbal scathing went on, with Lansing adding a special twist, as then-production chief John Goldwyn recalled: “She made up this fabulous story about all of the lawyers sitting with [Paramount Communications executive] Stanley Jaffe. She said, ‘As I’m sitting here with you, there’s a team figuring out how they can take every single thing away from you.'”

Myers believed it, and was so shaken that he curled up in a fetal position on Lansing’s couch.

Said Lansing: “If I were you, Mike, I’d go to Lorne’s office right now and stay there until you come up with a new script. We’ll slide food under the door.”

Myers did as he was told and rewrote the script, this time focusing on his character Wayne’s quest to put on a rock show at the behest of a Jim Morrison apparition. The movie came out, as planned, in December 1993. It wasn’t anything like the hit he and Paramount might have hoped for.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wayne's World 2 owns, Kim Basinger's best performance. maybe Charlton Heston's too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Christopher Walken plays a hell of an evil executive, too
he's having the time of his life in that role

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wayne's World 2 owns, Kim Basinger's best performance. maybe Charlton Heston's too.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

good

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Redezga posted:

"she's a man, man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
To date all my knowledge of Pitchfork comes from that one time 20 years ago SA did a frontpage parody of them, and that was all I needed