Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do think the swing Barry took in the second half of that final season was overall a misstep but the last two episodes were still really good and I respect the ambition. The other three seasons are amazing throughout though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It felt self important in the same way the worst parts of BCS did. Almost all the big prestige series, barring the Sopranos, did at some point but it felt more egregious with Barry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cinema rules, tv drools

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Cinema rules, tv drools

Truth

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Cinema rules, tv drools

as true now as it ever was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i enjoyed barry and one piece more than any movie last year.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Escobarbarian posted:

I do think the swing Barry took in the second half of that final season was overall a misstep but the last two episodes were still really good and I respect the ambition. The other three seasons are amazing throughout though

Gaius Marius posted:

It felt self important in the same way the worst parts of BCS did. Almost all the big prestige series, barring the Sopranos, did at some point but it felt more egregious with Barry

can y'all lightly spoil what you're describing? i watched s1 of Barry and it was fine. i might keep going but im intrigued by this. i loved BCS and think it did nothing wrong. sopranos was good too and i dig curveball it threw in the last season

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it. It more or less ended on no matter what he does he'll never be able to escape who he is or what hes done. Everything I've heard about the later seasons of the show just seems like drawn-out reinforcement of that. I felt like it made its point extremely well and I didn't need more, but glad to hear that more or less it remained as high-quality.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ShoogaSlim posted:

can y'all lightly spoil what you're describing? i watched s1 of Barry and it was fine. i might keep going but im intrigued by this. i loved BCS and think it did nothing wrong. sopranos was good too and i dig curveball it threw in the last season

in season 4 it goes down a weird divisive path

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

I gave up about halfway through the fourth season and think I was right to do so

A lot of shows end so poorly it's better not to stick them out. BCS is a good example

I mostly stopped watching TV after flipping out about game of thrones and Mr robot ending so awful. Movies, worst case you're just out a few hours

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BCS had a flawless ending even if they stole it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it. It more or less ended on no matter what he does he'll never be able to escape who he is or what hes done. Everything I've heard about the later seasons of the show just seems like drawn-out reinforcement of that. I felt like it made its point extremely well and I didn't need more, but glad to hear that more or less it remained as high-quality.

I think seasons 2 and 3 are excellent, and the finale of season 3 honestly feels like a perfectly natural ending point for the series so I think you could stop there and not miss out on much.

I remember while season 4 was going on there was some article going around with a headline like “Bill Hader says Larry David told him he should’ve ended Barry after season 3” and i was like, yeah, Larry David was right.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'm sure I watched all of Barry but I don't remember there being four whole seasons. I must have forgotten a bunch. Good excuse to rewatch it

Also Reacher is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_T4Tnis8Hs

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

:lol: The dude walks like a cartoon.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If you like that Reacher clip, I can assure you the entire show is basically that, intercut with scenes where he makes ridiculous puzzle game leaps of logic in order to solve crimes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Nothing escapes Reachers swole attention gland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHMMcuAyR0

So much so that it's kind of a contrivance that he didn't notice the guy had parked in some particular way that meant he must be with the NYPD or something

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also he did a torture to a guy where he filled his catheter with air, to gently caress his bladder up

I gotta assume they took it from this story where that happened by malpractice. No one's ever thought to do that on purpose

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/24/former-socceroo-steve-herczeg-died-after-catheter-connected-to-oxygen-coroner-told

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched The Goonies. Man I hosed up having Hook on VHS instead of this as a kid. What a fun adventure flick.

So much yelling. So much sets.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it.

my problem with most tv. it just drags on and on with a premise that was already wrapped up in a single season.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk guys having now seen 2 jack reacher (tv) clips, jack seems kinda annoying to be around

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fellas does Reacher season 2 suck

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

reacher?? more like reach'er that remote and change the drat channel amirite

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Fellas does Reacher season 2 suck

It's definitely worse but I'm havin' a good time. His sidekicks are all also basically Reachers so he's not so much this alien catalytic force of justice that he was in the first one where all these stuffy rubes are trying to play it by the book and have to learn how to do things The Cool Way

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 19, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bizarre needle drops, too, which is always fun

Reacher is like a savant about blues but they end episodes with talking heads and soul coughing. The music guy they got is the most Gen x dude ever

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

Nothing escapes Reachers swole attention gland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHMMcuAyR0

So much so that it's kind of a contrivance that he didn't notice the guy had parked in some particular way that meant he must be with the NYPD or something

lmao they made that beef slab recite all that dialogue

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

It's definitely worse but I'm havin' a good time. His sidekicks are all also basically Reachers so he's not so much this alien catalytic force of justice that he was in the first one where all these stuffy rubes are trying to play it by the book and have to learn how to do things The Cool Way

Yeah, having him be surrounded by a bunch of mini-Reachers I think was a poor choice. Should have stuck with the whole drifter in a strange town uncovering something nasty by accident thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, having him be surrounded by a bunch of mini-Reachers I think was a poor choice. Should have stuck with the whole drifter in a strange town uncovering something nasty by accident thing.

Like that old Hulk show, but Bruce Banner is Smart Hulk all the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Like that old Hulk show, but Bruce Banner is Smart Hulk all the time.

I think that's what most of the books are.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's a fantastic concept, although I wouldn't want to miss the transformation scenes and accompanying plot contrivances for the world.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If Reacher show doesn't have him high pitch scream "get out of my face! Get ouuuut" at a baddie he's beating up then it's a waste of Alan Ritchson imo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

:lol: The dude walks like a cartoon.

That's basically because it's a live-action cartoon about a big man beating up baddies. (And sometimes that's what one wants).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

A lot of shows end so poorly it's better not to stick them out. BCS is a good example

I mostly stopped watching TV after flipping out about game of thrones and Mr robot ending so awful. Movies, worst case you're just out a few hours

Nice troll post

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

i enjoyed barry and one piece more than any movie last year.

I still really like movies but I gotta say, shonen anime is so much better than the Prestige American TV I’ve seen. I’d take a bullet for the Italian food episode of Jojo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oh I meant the live action show. Extra cursed for everyone but I adored it. It was the pirates of the Caribbean sequel I didn’t know I needed

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m excited for the One Piece remake. I want to watch the series but those old arcs look a little creaky for me. I love Dragon Ball and all, but I don’t think I have another epic length legacy shonen in me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m excited for the One Piece remake. I want to watch the series but those old arcs look a little creaky for me. I love Dragon Ball and all, but I don’t think I have another epic length legacy shonen in me.

I followed One Piece in sprints, where basically like once every five years I get caught up on either the anime or the manga and then just stop for the next five years. I think this new adaptation is the first time I'm actually going to follow the story regularly, all the way to the end. However many years that takes.

But yeah I know what you mean about the long Shonen series. I tried to get into Jujutsu Kaisen but it just slid off me. I could tell it was a well done programme but my Shonen hole was full. Hell, I liked Dragon Ball Super but when it got to the tournament and there were all these new characters I was just like, man I ain't remembering any of these fuckers.

It's different for something like JoJo or Gundam where there it resets regularly. These giant sprawling series that just keep going and expanding, they're too much for my elderly rear end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poz my shonen hole

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

you could have watched so many Godfathers in that time. And not just coppola Godfathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

e: I made a comic to help you understand the show

Just watched the first two episodes and this comic is 100% accurate