Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xzzy posted:

"Biggest imperial destroyer ever!!" markets easier than "moderately sized imperial destroyer that fits nicely on your bookshelf."

I used to be pissed about not getting the "full-sized" Executor. But nowadays I look at the midi-scale one and :hmmyes: about not having to worry about where I'm going to keep a three foot long gray Fascist Space Dorito.

I am pissed that I never got this, though:

It was a much better model than the Kitty Hawk (which I do/did/still technically have) they put out and building warships reminds me of playing with Tentes (which my father would invariably mail/bring back from Europe every time he went on a cruise).

:allears:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why the first couple generations of microfighters (the ones that came in the planet balls and weren't actually microfighters yet) were the best star wars sets ever. You could buy a zillion of them and build cool scenes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I had a megablocks battle ship Sa kid and it owned. It had wheels in the hull so it could sail the carpet seas of my bedroom

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

"Biggest imperial destroyer ever!!" markets easier than "moderately sized imperial destroyer that fits nicely on your bookshelf."

Yeah but that is the definition of something that bigger=better and why it's my favorite set. That one is untouchable to me.if I ever sold all my Lego for some reason that would probably be the last one standing.

It's more the starfighters that I question my purchases with. I just don't think most of them look all that much better than their smaller counterparts. they're just bigger and take up a lot of space. Tbh I think I prefer some of the minifig scale ones

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

its cool that the midi size super star destroyer blew that concept out of the water and now people are angrily clamoring for more midi size ships

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Borsche69 posted:

its cool that the midi size super star destroyer blew that concept out of the water and now people are angrily clamoring for more midi size ships

I liked the midi ISD which got some recognition at the time but didn’t set the world on fire like the Nebulon B and Executor did

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-19/drugs-and-lego-seized-man-charged-after-victoria-police-raids/103367140

Thats one way to afford your Lego habit

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Borsche69 posted:

I have to admit I'm kinda :nallears: about the Tantive IV and Falcon scheduled for 3/1/24 but I'll buy them anyway because good sales will let Lego know there's an enthusiastic audience for them and I kinda want an updated ISD since the older midi-ISD was a little rough and simplistic.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I should be all about the midi-scale star wars ships, but I'm too invested in microfighters.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I saw the big red robot set from Marvels' Eternals on clearance at Target today. I didn't even want it at 70% off or 3.6 cents per piece. I felt like I was insulting the designer just leaving it there, but its just so bland.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

10 characters on the box and only 4 minifigs. So sad for the *checks notes* Sprite fans.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
My 14 year old is an insane MCU fanatic and has many of the sets like the Quinjet, both Guardians ships, the Groot and Rocket figures, and many others. She is completing a full marathon run of the MCU movies before the new school year starts next week.

She refuses to include Eternals in this run, will not acknowledge as part of continuity (it isn't) and has no desire for any of the sets from it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Working on a Star War:

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 20, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SadisTech posted:

My 14 year old is an insane MCU fanatic and has many of the sets like the Quinjet, both Guardians ships, the Groot and Rocket figures, and many others. She is completing a full marathon run of the MCU movies before the new school year starts next week.

She refuses to include Eternals in this run, will not acknowledge as part of continuity (it isn't) and has no desire for any of the sets from it.

What's her username

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

HootTheOwl posted:

What's her username

I would not introduce her to this forum in much the same way as I would not encourage her to explore an open sceptic tank

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SadisTech posted:

I would not introduce her to this forum in much the same way as I would not encourage her to explore an open sceptic tank

Oh, so she's a mod!?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

let the kids find their own weird internet spaces as nature intended

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

shame so many of those weird internet spaces are toxic hellholes and incel pipelines these days tho

though I can't pretend most of my early internet spaces exactly fostered good things out of me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The kids today are weirdly puritanical online. They’ll go into adult spaces and demand people don’t discuss adult topics. Like??? No???

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The_Doctor posted:

The kids today are weirdly puritanical online. They’ll go into adult spaces and demand people don’t discuss adult topics. Like??? No???

I will talk about property taxes and sciatica wherever I drat well please, you whippersnappers!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

wheatpuppy posted:

I will talk about property taxes and sciatica wherever I drat well please, you whippersnappers!

time for circumcision and tipping chat

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At this point I've broken down like 10+ boxes of the Eternals big ship kit for my dad's bricklink store because they're apparently really cheap to get and a good source of grey parts.
Can't wait for the stocks of it to finally run out.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Borsche69 posted:

time for circumcision and tipping chat

Dammit, this is not the Silent Hill wiki.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Cooked Auto posted:

At this point I've broken down like 10+ boxes of the Eternals big ship kit for my dad's bricklink store because they're apparently really cheap to get and a good source of grey parts.
Can't wait for the stocks of it to finally run out.

That's pretty funny. You should get Prophet of Nixon and the other MOC guys in here to come up with some sweet alt builds

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts

old af reply but :same:

I definitely threw some wings, canards, tail fins, and space-style engines onto my 6175 Crystal Explorer Sub to accompany the Deep Freeze Defender. Above and below the frigid depths.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Double VIP points till Wednesday 24th!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

UK Legoons, I noticed that GAME today had a lot of the new 2024 releases in store, but all discounted ~ 25 ish %. It was weird, like they'd stopped selling video games and were now a toy shop.

For instance, that cool T-Rex skull was £28, not 37.

This was in Cambridge.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

SadisTech posted:

Do you mean skeptic, or septic?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I always thought it was weird how Word recommended that as a correction. Never seen that spelling anywhere

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mitochondritom posted:

UK Legoons, I noticed that GAME today had a lot of the new 2024 releases in store, but all discounted ~ 25 ish %. It was weird, like they'd stopped selling video games and were now a toy shop.

For instance, that cool T-Rex skull was £28, not 37.

This was in Cambridge.

Huh, the Game UK website seems to have this as well. Example:
76281 (X-Men jet, extra expensive): Game £60 / Lego £75 - that's a 20% discount

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Picked up the Succulents set unboxed for $10 from a thrift store earlier today. No box, just a couple of ziploc bags with the parts and instructions all present and correct. They’d not even opened Bag 3, as that was still sealed! Fun little build, and pretty much the only plants set that I’ve been interested in, so that’s a good turn up for me! :toot:

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Picked up the Succulents set unboxed for $10 from a thrift store earlier today. No box, just a couple of ziploc bags with the parts and instructions all present and correct. They’d not even opened Bag 3, as that was still sealed! Fun little build, and pretty much the only plants set that I’ve been interested in, so that’s a good turn up for me! :toot:

Good score

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Ice Planet is just the surface of aquanauts

I saw this picture in the Lego Space book I just picked up from the library

So yep, seems like that was the original intent.

It's a cool book but man I need new prescription glasses, I'm struggling to read the small print. I hope they do a sequel book for the 90s stuff I'm not as familiar with, and I really enjoyed the book calling out all the specific pieces introduced for Lego space that are so well loved now.

My fave has to be the minifig torch / blaster thingy. Love it. But hard to argue with the 1x1 cone as most useful.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Been excited to build this ever since I found both engines and the tailfin. Silly I know but this is the first set I ever got when I was a kid that was new in box, not inherited from my brother. Hard to see but I only have 2 of the 5 window pieces. Still had everything else. Also I substituted 1x4s for the wingtips for efficiency. I remember the front 1x2 falling off all the time because it was only held on with 1 stud.

I think it shall live here.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nice.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice! I'm pretty sure I had that one too

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone here built some Cobi sets? I've been wanting to try some of their stuff for awhile. I'd love to try some of their tanks/armor.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m finally taking apart my not-quite-lego millenium falcon because it’s just too big and I’m going to pass it on to my nephew to build again. I’m basically working the instructions in reverse, putting multiple steps into sandwich bags, and labelling them with the steps - like 1286 - 1329.

Two questions:
1) Best way to separate parts? I’ve got a three different brick tool things, a large standard, a small standard, and one with a gradient on the front (thin on the right to thick on the left). However I’m still getting stuck with some pieces, despite destroying my thumbnails trying.

Like I have a 1x1 round in the bottom of a 1x1 square that just will not budge. It’s possible some of this is due to it not being Lego and not having the same tolerances, but are there any secrets?

2) I broke three parts putting it together and one so far disassembling it and would like to replace them, make it a complete set. Is pick-a-brick the best way to replace them? Are there other places for that?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

DRINK ME posted:

Like I have a 1x1 round in the bottom of a 1x1 square that just will not budge. It’s possible some of this is due to it not being Lego and not having the same tolerances, but are there any secrets?

Two brick separators. One on top, one beneath