Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

It didn't help that they went out of their way to do things that e.g. killed Flair's drawing power in Greensboro and places where he was beloved.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC when Nitro sucked, the PPVs were still good, and when the PPVs sucked, the house show business was still strong. Over the course of '99 Nitro never beat Raw in the ratings, PPV buys trended downward, and the house show business collapsed. It's easy to point to the Fingerpoke as the event that presaged the collapse because they basically announced that they had no new ideas and were just going to keep running the nWo into the ground.

It also seems contradictory to relentlessly drill people while also encouraging them to bulk up as much as possible.

I would say it is very incorrect that when Nitro sucked the PPVs were still good. 1999 WCW PPVs were mainly very bad and I think it is fair to say there isn't a single great WCW PPV between Spring Stampede 99 and Greed. The house show business completely tanked in 99 too although it would get even worse in 2000. I think it is also fair to say that between Spring Stampede 99 and Greed there is only one "good" PPV and it's the one with the Triple Cage.

But there aren't a lot of great PPVs in the Nitro period. In 95 you have Starrcade if you are a little generous, in 96 GAB and BATB, in 97 I think maybe half and in 98... Souled Out, Superbrawl and I dunno what else and with Superbrawl you have to ignore a really bad main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I just meant that PPVs were still good (or at least doing decent buyrates) in '98 when Nitro seemed to be steadily declining in quality. Of course that's subjective and I'd have to go looking for some choice moments.

Edit: Looking back, I can't think of any '99 PPV I really enjoyed besides BATB, and that's almost entirely for JY Park and the has-to-be-seen-to-be-believed trainwreck factor.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 18, 2024

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Looking back at how badly Warrior bombed in WCW and the crowds hating it I wonder if that was also a key factor in getting people ready to turn off once it was clear Goldberg was no longer gonna be pushed cause boy howdy I knew it was bad but looking back on it there was just some awful TV that nobody liked

Was anyone actually excited about Ultimate Warrior in 1998 or was he brought in only for Hogan to get his win back?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was anyone actually excited about Ultimate Warrior in 1998 or was he brought in only for Hogan to get his win back?

Search within your heart. You know the truth deep down.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean when he first confronted Hogan on Nitro it got a great pop so people were interested in the match. They immediately fumbled everything but there is a way you can build that match where you don't burn people out and it gets a good buy rate but that involves both Hogan and Warrior knowing their weaknesses and whelp

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

neoaxd posted:

Search within your heart. You know the truth deep down.

I'm sure there were still Hulkamaniacs holding out hope that could be good again and were excited for him to beat up Warrior?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Was that when they did the inexplicable mirror promo thing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

build that match where you don't burn people out

Joke about Hogan trying to use flash paper here.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Was that when they did the inexplicable mirror promo thing?

Yep. And to SatoshiMiwa's point, the feud started with everyone going wild when Warrior suddenly appeared, and then everyone going quieter and quieter as he just keeps talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeC7n4wTnXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OfeWUHLIE

This could have been a really good five minute segment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Oh double u enn

One

Warrior

Nation

Lives rent free in my head forever

Alongside Horace Hogan slowly turning around in the aisle

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was really excited when he showed up and frankly excited the entire time. You have to understand I never watched the Worst Wrestling Federation so I didn't know how bad he was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s a moment in that first Warrior segment where someone in the crowd plays a trombone and it’s loving hilarious.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I'm not sure anybody in the US could of booked the best version of Hogan/Warrior in 98 given their ego's and creative control but Bischoff 100% wasn't the guy to do it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the target is scoped and locked for destruction

take the dog to hell

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Speaking as a former little warrior...
At his best Warrior was ball lightning in human form. Just a hyperkinetic force of nature.
Unfortunately his best ended around 1992 or so.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

take the dog to hell

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Alaois posted:

take the dog to hell

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone do the figure four but with arms?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

*tries to do the math on how to do that, anatomically*

:psyboom:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Behold my non-Euclidean submission move

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

probably ZSJ idk

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Like a Texas cloverleaf? Or like the opponents arms are getting figure-foured? I don't think the latter is possible without dislocating a shoulder and/or bending the elbow an unusual way

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, all arms.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yeah, all arms.

I guess you could do it with just one arm but then you'd just have an arm bar with bells and whistles.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Trying to translate the figure four leglock to arms at strictly as I can, I guess it would be something like this?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

This is my favorite question EXCEPT UNFORTUNATELY it absolutely deserves its own thread so it does not belong here

Bryan Danielson is inverting himself in mid-air to reverse the pressure!!!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

PublicOpinion posted:

Trying to translate the figure four leglock to arms at strictly as I can, I guess it would be something like this?

and then to reverse the pressure you have to stand on your head

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Jack Cartwheel, I have a spot idea...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A figure four armlock is also known as a keylock or Americana or a top wristlock. There's also the double wristlock/chicken wing/kimura/reverse keylock.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
do it with their arms behind their back. then German suplex them on their heads

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

now kiss

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Anyone have the link to the old HHH hate thread handy?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Vandar posted:

Anyone have the link to the old HHH hate thread handy?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029137

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

People always talk about the hard cam in televised American wrestling. Why don't they use some of those wire style cams the NFL uses or even drones? The bandwidth back to the trucks?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lucifunk posted:

People always talk about the hard cam in televised American wrestling. Why don't they use some of those wire style cams the NFL uses or even drones? The bandwidth back to the trucks?

Smaller venues probably makes the wire setup kind of cramped and there’s probably some rules about flying drones over a crowd in that kind of enclosed environment I guess, there’s not a million miles of empty space around the ring for a drone to be whizzing around in.

The hardcam is more about having a defined “this is where the bulk of the audience is watching from” position as a marker for performers than anything else. You wouldn’t see it as much in a real sport because they aren’t trying to put on a show in the same way so the camera follows the unpredictable action instead.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lucifunk posted:

You made me think of all the times I've seen a baseball game with a ton of empty seats at a stadium - do baseball fans ever worry about their sport dying the way wrestling fans do? Well I should say non wwe wrestling fans

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

That makes sense.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Shard posted:

You made me think of all the times I've seen a baseball game with a ton of empty seats at a stadium - do baseball fans ever worry about their sport dying the way wrestling fans do? Well I should say non wwe wrestling fans

There was some concern over lower baseball attendance for a bit, but there's not as much talk about it, I think because 1) it's a pretty high floor - people will never completely stop going to baseball games and 2) TV ratings are doing well, I believe. (That is, people haven't stopped watching baseball; they just don't go to as many games.)

MLB has made a lot of changes lately to try to address game length, which is usually considered to be the main reason why people don't go to games, and it definitely seemed like it helped. (I don't know if attendance numbers started going back up, but there definitely was a ton more hype around baseball over the last season or two.)

Although the other main reason people stopped going to games was ticket prices, and those don't seem to be trending anywhere other than up.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I went to my first and likely only mlb game last year in LA. It cost 20 god drat American dollars for one beer. Maybe that’s why no one’s going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If WWE ran a single MLB-sized stadium 80 times in six months, a lot of those shows would be pretty empty.