Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Coldforge posted:

Have you considered that every QB who isn't Patrick Mahomes might suck?

Lamar might be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Given that they played in the rain, there was very little clownball, 45 total points, and both teams had the lead multiple times that actually neither team sucked and they were just very evenly matched???

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope this is like the NCAA tournament where the winner usually has a close call against an inferior team and then rights the ship the rest of the way.

That was ugly as poo poo. Fortunately, the team next week won't have as good an OL as Green Bay. Tonight really showed the difference between a good OL and a bad one.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Tweak posted:

Lamar might be good

He has to win 2 superbowls first, then we'll know for sure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tweak posted:

Lamar might be good

He's no Joe Flacco. Yet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope this is like the NCAA tournament where the winner usually has a close call against an inferior team and then rights the ship the rest of the way.

That was ugly as poo poo. Fortunately, the team next week won't have as good an OL as Green Bay. Tonight really showed the difference between a good OL and a bad one.

The lions oline is way better than Green Bay

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ambry has been pretty good this year, afaik.

He was hot garbage for the first part of the year, then has been much better. Turned back into hot garbage tonight though

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scipiotik posted:

The lions oline is way better than Green Bay

GB had the 2nd ranked OL for pass D this year. Not as good for the run, but overall, a good OL. Was Detroit the #1 pass D OL?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Why does Purdy have drat near 40 passing attempts in the pissing rain.

I thought we established the run in these parts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bosa had a pretty sweet play at the end that definitely ended with Love being a bonehead.

I still don't know how they won. And by 3 because Moody snuck one over the cross bar.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

harperdc posted:

Need to buy Shanahan an account to SA and quarantine him to the NFC West thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a pet theory about playing not to lose. When a coach does poo poo like Shanahan did at the end of the half, subconsciously the players think he doesn't believe in them and they don't play as well. As opposed to a coach who trusts the players not to gently caress up so they play better.

This is based on years of watching Shanahan and other coaches pull poo poo like that and then the offense shits the bed after. The niners offense looked much better in the first half than the second. I don't think it was due to GB making half time adjustments, either. I think it was because Shanahan told them with his play calls and clock management that he didn't think they could score without loving up and giving the ball back.

Also, Shanahan is obsessed with having the ball at the end of the half due to a stat that says a team with the ball wins more often or something like that.

I'm still pissed he blew the NFCCG last year by not calling a time out on that first Eagles drive in a situation where you have to call time out and check the review to see if you throw a challenge. Just a total bozo move on his part.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

harperdc posted:

We are behind therefore we must pass, beep boop

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

harperdc posted:

No Deebo and Kyle reverts to being the Falcons' OC.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The narrative better be Brock Purdy led a game winning 71 yard td drive. Because that’s what happened

Edit also very annoying to be on vacation and your only video access is… twitter videos that can never fully load

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

The narrative better be Brock Purdy led a game winning 71 yard td drive. Because that’s what happened

I'm glad of it. He had a real rough game overall but came through when it mattered.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm still pissed he blew the NFCCG last year by not calling a time out on that first Eagles drive in a situation where you have to call time out and check the review to see if you throw a challenge. Just a total bozo move on his part.

to be fair that might be the least important reason for losing that game

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That drive was a nail biter but Brock did manage to keep that drive alive. It was an ugly/beautiful drive, 6 minutes and drove it all the way down to one minute.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I feel like Purdy just isn't a good QB in the weather. Look back at other games in pouring rain and I think he's pretty similarly? Maybe I'm missing something but he didn't look like he usually does accuracy wise and very much looked like rain-Purdy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

razorscooter posted:

to be fair that might be the least important reason for losing that game

Odds are Purdy doesn't get hurt if the Eagles don't score that TD. Shanahan set a whole series of events in motion by saving his time out in an obvious time out situation.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

He grew a lot and we've yet to see his final form.

His final form: pretends to drop back, hands the ball off

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Carillon posted:

I feel like Purdy just isn't a good QB in the weather. Look back at other games in pouring rain and I think he's pretty similarly? Maybe I'm missing something but he didn't look like he usually does accuracy wise and very much looked like rain-Purdy.

He absolutely has trouble in the rain. I think someone said he only played one rain game in college, which is surprising.

He tried wearing a glove to start the game, I think? Probably a grip issue, he's the new Tiny Hands.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That was way closer than I thought it was going to be

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grozz Nuy posted:

I understand why people are skeptical of Brock's success to a degree but saying he's a tier below Goff and Mayfield is dumb as hell. It's also wild to me that so much of the national media is ready to elevate Love to elite status already based on what, an 8 game sample size? Has everyone already forgotten how loving awful the Packers offense looked for the first half of the season?

I simply want to communicate that I read this post and it made me smile.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

He absolutely has trouble in the rain. I think someone said he only played one rain game in college, which is surprising.

He tried wearing a glove to start the game, I think? Probably a grip issue, he's the new Tiny Hands.

He refused to wear a glove in the first half the Cleveland game, sucked, then put it on in the second half. So it seems like he might just suck in the rain either way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Regardless of rain forecasts next week, I suggest Brock incorporates a fire hose into his off-season training programs.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I simply want to communicate that I read this post and it made me smile.

You think Jared Goff is winning that game?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Carillon posted:

Yeah I think Brock throwing in the rain has to be a real concern. The games where he's thrown interceptions got a lot of press but tonight and Cleveland I think were much worse overall, every checkdown feeling like an adventure is a lot more troubling to me than good good good good good good oh gently caress experience of say the Minnesota game.

That said that early dropped INT was the only time I was shaking my head over his decision making, at least that I can recall. Like his other lesser games, I didn't come out this really down on him or anything.

I don't mind as much as some people when the Niners have a pass happy game plan, but someone in the GDT said something like Kyle has terminal "they'll never see this coming" brain and I feel like that is bang on. The Niners have had drives where they just hang out in the shotgun, throw seven straight passes and score a TD, but he tries it against like, the Ravens pass defense, and in a downpour playoff game. Just way over-thinking it.

Heading into the game my big worry is the Niners D would get cooked on the ground and give up big long drives that would shorten the game and basically create a situation where the game might hinge on 1 or 2 TOs. That's pretty much what happened but thankfully the long drives were typically FGs and the Niners got the TOs. Not an inspiring performance but sometimes you just have to accidentally win a game you're playing like complete garbage in.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

10 day forecast for Santa Clara looks pretty pleasant at least.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Go Loins. I have always been a Loins fan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Y'all have already covered a lot, but I wanna point out that as bad as Ambry Thomas looked on the massive pass interference penalties, there were also a ton of snaps where Love had no targets downfield and his sacks were often coverage sacks. So Thomas was getting at least some of his coverages right. That doesn't make up for giving up like 80 yards in PI, but it's not nothing.

Also they all changed their cleats at halftime and that says volumes about the continuing uncertainty about Levi Stadium's grass. I really don't like that our guys are losing a significant chunk of homefield advantage to just piss poor (especially winter) field they're obviously not ready to play on. Why weren't they practicing on the wet field all weekend? Because it wouldn't hold up for gametime, obviously. So they're out there after it's been raining all weekend, and they've not got the right kit on. loving hell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Niners had zero sacks in that game, not many coverage sacks to be had out there

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Y'know what this game taught us?

They should have fuckin' :schotty: more.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Nervous posted:

Go Loins. I have always been a Loins fan.

The Seahawks are out :eightbux:
They are not in the NFCW :eightbux:
They did a solid for the Seahawks recently :eightbux:
They are not the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers :eightbux:
They are fun to watch :eightbux:
The official bandwagon winner! Bills were my old bandwagon, but now I am all Lions. Lions beat the Ravens in the Super Bowl plz!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The first DPI on Thomas was kinda BS. The receiver ran right into him. Not much he could do in that situation.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

The first DPI on Thomas was kinda BS. The receiver ran right into him. Not much he could do in that situation.

I thought they were both very legit. The first one he turned to look for the ball but then didn't play the ball at all, just ran through the receiver.

The unsportsmanlike on Trent, on the other hand...

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Lifespan posted:

The Seahawks are out :eightbux:
They are not in the NFCW :eightbux:
They did a solid for the Seahawks recently :eightbux:
They are not the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers :eightbux:
They are fun to watch :eightbux:
The official bandwagon winner! Bills were my old bandwagon, but now I am all Lions. Lions beat the Ravens in the Super Bowl plz!

I am on the lions train for next game, sorry 9ers friends. They have always been my third team after the vikings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

holefoods posted:

I am on the lions train for next game, sorry 9ers friends. They have always been my third team after the vikings.

It's perfectly fine to bandwagon the Lions.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Papercut posted:

The unsportsmanlike on Trent, on the other hand...

That was a real weird penalty to call in a playoff game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I have no Niners friends. Niners fans are stinky.