Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

therattle posted:

Oh yeah! Haven’t checked but that feels right.

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah. Never saw it, forgot it existed

i liked it :3: i like noah baumbach's style of writing, and it was nice to see the two leads in something not disney related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
That's a cool thing about movie grid, you rack your brains to think of obscure stuff and remember lovely movies

Like I picked Candy for Heath Ledger: Drama and then watched it again because I haven't thought about it in fifteen years, what a touching flick about being in love as a heroin addict in the early 2000's

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just reminded of how reviewing Easy A in university probably hit different especially for someone just out of high school and being amazed to be at a place people actually wanted to be in.

I wish I'd caught the Daria finale, we needed more 'high school is an absurd pointless hell that everyone's glad to be done with and nothing you do matters as long as you graduate and aren't convicted of murder' messages rather than the idea it's the only part of your life that matters.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think Scarjo was also nominated for Girl With the Pearl Earring but I would have snapped off LiT too

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

uh oh gonna become obsessed with movigrid now (just nailed today's, hell yeah)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/davidkrumholtzy/status/1748743409785790584?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Krumholtz tired of bad Oppenheimer takes

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'm gonna play Nate Silver's advocate. The political assassination of Oppenheimer was very dull. Allegory is a strong word

What was it even about? the white house science guy was mad about getting called a bitch by Bobby so tried to get him ... censured or something?

He is become death; destroyer of worlds, take the L

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 21, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

What was it even about? the white house science guy was mad about getting called a bitch by Bobby so tried to get him ... censured or something?

Yes
the world is dumb

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I thought it was very interesting and not dull at all, but to each their own.

What the whole clearance trial shows (beyond the actual history of said title character) is the human element of power and policy making in governments. RDJs character goes after Oppenheimer for petty personal reasons instead of rational arguments. This is a common theme showed in the film of govts with great power making irrational decisions: u.s. going after scientists for communism, nazi Germany going after Jewish scientists.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Peccadillo posted:

I'm gonna play Nate Silver's advocate. The political assassination of Oppenheimer was very dull. Allegory is a strong word

He is become death; destroyer of worlds, take the L

He thought Bobby Opp had turned Einstein against him but in reality Einstein already thought he was a bitch and was just grouchy because he and Bob Heimy were talking about how if the world ended it was basically their fault

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

checkplease posted:

I thought it was very interesting and not dull at all, but to each their own.

What the whole clearance trial shows (beyond the actual history of said title character) is the human element of power and policy making in governments. RDJs character goes after Oppenheimer for petty personal reasons instead of rational arguments. This is a common theme showed in the film of govts with great power making irrational decisions: u.s. going after scientists for communism, nazi Germany going after Jewish scientists.

Yeah there are countless very interesting stories of that. Oppenheimer was not one. A third of the movie should not have been about it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The movie would have been better if they'd ditched the bomb poo poo and only been Strauss vs. Opie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah there are countless very interesting stories of that. Oppenheimer was not one. A third of the movie should not have been about it

Well I guess you said it was not interesting so that’s that.

How much of the movie is allowed to be about policy and reviews? 1/4th? 1/9th? 3/8?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

McCarthy thought up the most interesting stories of weird thoughts. Maybe bobby opps helped bring that to life. Cold war inventing rear end

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
God, Nate Silver is so fuckin' stupid.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I read his book and thought it was interesting. But then Covid happened and broke him. Also he became way too online.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's my favorite game: just go to the bookstore and look at bestselling nonfiction authors, then look up how many of them are notorious for acting like complete imbeciles on Twitter.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

God, Nate Silver is so fuckin' stupid.

Actually if you look at the statistics

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am having trouble even googling about this, since all combinations are a bunch of normal words. So I get a to of unrelated stuff. I thought this was the closest thread to small/stupid questions about movies.

so here it goes:

Can it be that the same movie is released with subtle (or big!) differences, that I notice on rewatch? Or am I just going insane?

Two examples:

Blade Runner 2049

I have watched this movie twice, both times on planes.

In one scene, the antagonist, a female replicant, helps the protagonist by lobbing missiles to some marauders that go after him, from her home.

I distinctly remember that, on first watch, she did that from a tablet, while drinking wine on a couch.

I watched it again yesterday and she had visor glasses and was getting manicure done.

I thought it might be that the middle of the road muslim country airline might not want to show someone drinking, but then I realized that the first watch was on a plane of an airline of an even more conservative country.

second example: Trance

I watched it both times at home.

The first time, the painting the movie is centered on is Van Gogh's sunflowers.

The other, the Shipwreck of the Medusa. But there were still plenty of background references to the sunflowers. Pretty significant difference.

So, to answer my own question, yes, it happens (unless I AM going insane, do tell me if you think so), but what is it called? And why??

Thanks in advance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's often small edits between different formats (airplane cuts are different from tv cuts are different from what was in theaters which might be different from the dvd) but you're probably going insane.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIs5tOBDAyM

Watched Jigarthanda DoubleX. Not as balls to the wall as RRR, but drat is it a great watch. Surprisingly bold ending, was caught off guard by how beautiful it ended up being. One of the lead actors looks like an Indian Danny McBride, as his haircut is very close to the pompadour and clothing he sports in Righteous Gemstones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawncloack posted:

So, to answer my own question, yes, it happens (unless I AM going insane, do tell me if you think so), but what is it called? And why??

Thanks in advance.

I saw 2049 in theaters and she 100% was getting a manicure. This is just bad memory stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hand Knit posted:

Also I saw this movie and I really liked it. A few images that are really gonna stay with me are Luv, in the sterile room getting her nails done, calling down drone strikes,
Here's a post from the thread the week it was released

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ok, not doubting what you saw, thank you for answering, but what about the other movie and the different work of art? That I am 150% sure.

I dunno, anyone else can mirror my observations?

I am asking because otherwise I have to go to the street corner to shout about alien conspiracies, and I don't have childcare plus it's super cold.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It hadnt occured to me to check youtube, and all takes are the manicure so you are right about that, I see!

Ok, bad memory. Thanks for setting me straight!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Dawncloack posted:

It hadnt occured to me to check youtube, and all takes are the manicure so you are right about that, I see!

Implants. Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawncloack posted:

Also, it's always been spelled Berenstain Bears.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Also, it's always been spelled Berenstæin Bears.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
One that really annoys me is how Ghost does not have a scene where Patrick Swayze helps his wife do pottery as a ghost, using ghost telekinesis to guide her hands.

There is a pottery scene, but it happens while he is still alive, making it completely pointless.

Ghost pottery was my favourite scene in the movie, and it doesn't exist!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 21, 2024

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Lobster Henry posted:

Implants. Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's.

What? STFU I'm human! Like, *born* human!!!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone know of any good letterboxd lists or the like for foreign flicks with big fun spectacles? RRR and Jigarthanda DoubleX have me inspired to try to see what other countries are doing for over-the-top action flicks.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Dawncloack posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am having trouble even googling about this, since all combinations are a bunch of normal words. So I get a to of unrelated stuff. I thought this was the closest thread to small/stupid questions about movies.

so here it goes:

Can it be that the same movie is released with subtle (or big!) differences, that I notice on rewatch? Or am I just going insane?

Two examples:

Blade Runner 2049

I have watched this movie twice, both times on planes.

In one scene, the antagonist, a female replicant, helps the protagonist by lobbing missiles to some marauders that go after him, from her home.

I distinctly remember that, on first watch, she did that from a tablet, while drinking wine on a couch.

I watched it again yesterday and she had visor glasses and was getting manicure done.

I thought it might be that the middle of the road muslim country airline might not want to show someone drinking, but then I realized that the first watch was on a plane of an airline of an even more conservative country.

second example: Trance

I watched it both times at home.

The first time, the painting the movie is centered on is Van Gogh's sunflowers.

The other, the Shipwreck of the Medusa. But there were still plenty of background references to the sunflowers. Pretty significant difference.

Thanks in advance.

You should sue fox. I don't have much care about a scene being different between Bladerunnet 2 at the movies and the home release. But neither do Fox. They might just pay you to leave them alone

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

You should sue fox. I don't have much care about a scene being different between Bladerunnet 2 at the movies and the home release. But neither do Fox. They might just pay you to leave them alone

Fox films is owned by Disney now, I would never recommend suing Disney unless your Lawyers are like "yeah, this is a total slam dunk case and also we accept full liability if you are countersued."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't seen the Mean Girls Musical film but it's really weird that Renee Rapp is being super pushed on us in promotions and I don't even know the name of the actress that has the Lindsey Lohan part. Making the main bully the main character seems like the opposite of what the original film was about. And also the original film was based on a nonfiction book trying to break down high school bullying among teenage girls.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

Fox didn't make BR. You also may be insane

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Did they not? Maybe

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Zazie dans le Metro for the first time and it's kinda wild that this movie has an extended, playful slapstick chase scene where a pedophile is chasing our young protagonist to carnival music. C'est cinéma!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just a regular day in France. Whimsical chase music is piped into all public places regularly in case a wacky pedophilic chase is happening (Which according to the French National Institute of Wacky Chases is on average three times per day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SimonChris posted:

One that really annoys me is how Ghost does not have a scene where Patrick Swayze helps his wife do pottery as a ghost, using ghost telekinesis to guide her hands.

There is a pottery scene, but it happens while he is still alive, making it completely pointless.

Ghost pottery was my favourite scene in the movie, and it doesn't exist!

Fake memories/wrong expectations are caused by cinema's greatest scourge: the movie trailer