Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

I think the unrealistic part is that this would result in anything other than "just being worse than other players," especially for a popular game with a huge player-base.

This sort of conceit actually makes more sense in "isekai to a game-like world" stories, since in that setting it can at least make sense for the protagonist to have such a radically different mindset from the "natives" that it gives them an advantage (and the "game" in question is also often literally designed by a god, so there's no need for realistic development limitations).

Except Sunraku is as has been mentioned at the level of a professional video game player, thats What Katzo is and they are roughly peers in terms of skill. If we allow for "vr technology that lets your in game body move like a regular body" Which is a part of this setting overall, then movement and reflexes would be transferable.

Also he has done some reading and fact checking since he searched up the rabituza scenario so Sunraku has been getting information... he just skipped the very basic stuff that nobody talks about because "everyone knows this"

Also likely, though he won't get it, there is some reward for like maxing your level but never combining skills to appeal to hardcore type people.

Also for some real world experience... My wife got me into playing WoW, she has played since like Vanilla, I got in, skipped the tutorial stuff, and immediately started doing better than she was because simply I was able to "click" with the flow of gameplay better and apply some trial and error. She's still rather salty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You could probably have better reflexes in magic future VR because human reaction time's bottleneck is the eye's ability to send information to the brain not your ability to process it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Essentially, SLF is a VRJPRG and, from what we've seen so far, akin to what you'd find in FF16 or Xenoblade Chronicles. After 50 years, us cavemen in the present are used to very specific command structures in games (WASD movement, spacebar is jump, left mouse fire/attack, etc.)* and a future player like Sunraku who's been playing games for years will have all the basic controls down perfectly by now. So why is he training in a completely different game? Because of the unexpected.

Even with the foreknowledge of the battle that Arthur's providing, there's a decent chance that something nobody's experienced before will take place, especially as the battle gets close to the end. Think of the times you've been at the final 10-25% of a boss' HP and they suddenly pull an attack out of their rear end that you haven't ever seen before and one-shot's you. Especially for bosses where nobody has ever beaten them. What he's training now is his reaction time to such sudden changeovers. But AI is AI, and no matter what you do you learn those attack patterns to the point where they're second nature to beat.

So who do you fight to practice changing things up? Other players, of course. No matter what you do, there's always some schmuck who figured out a counter to it, or is assing around and makes a sudden discovery. The newbie he's facing off against at the end of the last episode is likely to be fresh meat, but it's also possible he'll try things others may not have and get in a few good shots if not a complete win. And he has to do it in a different game, since doing so in SLF will get him a massive PK flag. (There doesn't appear to be any arena where PVP is allowed. Pity.) It's also a great way to think outside of the box and see if something in BERP gives him an idea to try against Weazemon. Either way, just playing something different but familiar can be a good way to relax after grinding for hours in your chosen game.

*Different for controller players, of course. And most games also let you change controls if the defaults don't match what you like.

Egads, that's a lot of blather. Here: PENIS PENIS PENIS HAMDINGER WOODCHUCK POTATO :holy:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Except Sunraku is as has been mentioned at the level of a professional video game player, thats What Katzo is and they are roughly peers in terms of skill. If we allow for "vr technology that lets your in game body move like a regular body" Which is a part of this setting overall, then movement and reflexes would be transferable.

Yeah, allowing for the bolded is what I mention in my later post. It just also means that VRMMOs in series like this don't even remotely resemble any actual real-life MMOs*. As I mentioned, they're more similar to "RPG-like isekai settings" than they are "any real-life game" (since they don't just require the hyper-technology for "full immersion VR," but also some sort of transcendent game development that makes creating such a game possible in the first place).

So I think they're perfectly fine, just as long as you think of them as sci-fi more than anything related to actual video games.

* earlier in this discussion someone had mentioned this series being more realistic to actual games (and I think I was initially replying to a post replying to them):

doomrider7 posted:

I dunno, pretty much everything seen and done in the series including the titular game has a real life equivalent in real life and the writer being enough of a Turbo Gamer that they wanted to buy Armored Core 6 on the company dollar as a business expense. Ditto for taking numerous breaks that coincided with the releases of BotW, Elden Ring, TotK, Armored Core, and several other games.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
That newbie is going to end up being some kind of pro who's hustling him, right? I can't see being a mentor in an old game as a plot arc that makes sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grandito posted:

That newbie is going to end up being some kind of pro who's hustling him, right? I can't see being a mentor in an old game as a plot arc that makes sense.

That's what Pencilgon is doing for Sunraku and Oicazzo right now. Granted, they're on kind of an accelerated track, but y'know, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
And we're back.

New OP still goes hard, and we got some more quality rabbit content this week.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Mad props for cloning the azure devops/github action icons during the patch deploy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly I wish we'd get more behind-the-scenes stuff at the game company.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

Honestly I wish we'd get more behind-the-scenes stuff at the game company.

Yeah they kind of skipped that. There was supposed to be a scene of the head dev gloating how no ines beaten any of the bosses. It might've been moved though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

And we're back.

New OP still goes hard, and we got some more quality rabbit content this week.

Elke is so sweet, she'll sell you the clothes off her back. Wait, reverse that. She'll sell you your own clothes. And tell you it's on a discount. Loved it when Sunraku started imitating her speech patterns.

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

We still haven't met the king(?) of Rabituza. I wonder if that will be this season?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Doodles posted:

Elke is so sweet, she'll sell you the clothes off her back. Wait, reverse that. She'll sell you your own clothes. And tell you it's on a discount. Loved it when Sunraku started imitating her speech patterns.

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

We still haven't met the king(?) of Rabituza. I wonder if that will be this season?

Pretty sure that's just Vysache.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure that's just Vysache.

Nah, Emul mentions a brother who rules Rabituza as king. We have no real idea what Vysache's role in Rabituza is.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Being a cool dude

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Vysache is the boss. He does boss things.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Doodles posted:

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

I think Vysache is currently in charge... but not by choice as he was originally the smith/playboy

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doodles posted:

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

I wouldn't count on it we've yet to see him in the manga.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
No episode this week, but here's a summary of the series so far in their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WzOuhZn2I

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
New episode!

Mia continues to own; so glad they keep using her as a running gag.
The deal with Orcelott and Pencilgon being siblings appears to be new material that wasn't in the manga (though maybe it was in the WN?)
Weazamon fight looks like it's going to be pretty drat good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nemo2342 posted:

The deal with Orcelott and Pencilgon being siblings appears to be new material that wasn't in the manga (though maybe it was in the WN?)

I'm a little behind, but the US release adds a "bonus chapter" of what's clearly WN at the end of each volume, and they do cover Pencilgon's sibling, so it seems like that might just be something excised until relevant in adaptation.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

claw game handjob posted:

I'm a little behind, but the US release adds a "bonus chapter" of what's clearly WN at the end of each volume, and they do cover Pencilgon's sibling, so it seems like that might just be something excised until relevant in adaptation.

Which one is this? I think I missed it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

doomrider7 posted:

Which one is this? I think I missed it.

"The Defeated Never Fear Tomorrow." Also I completely misread one line in the chapter, which led to my misunderstanding. I'm full of poo poo, ignore this. I misread the line about the person we knew was Rei's sister as being Towa's.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Knowing the voice actors just got hitched really made the Emul scenes shine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate the running gag they've got going with Mia.

And hey, they finally made it to the fireworks factory. I like how Pencilgon's big gambit also cut off the one place Asura Kai was expecting to run, didn't catch that detail on the first read.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

I do appreciate the running gag they've got going with Mia.

And hey, they finally made it to the fireworks factory. I like how Pencilgon's big gambit also cut off the one place Asura Kai was expecting to run, didn't catch that detail on the first read.

The manga doesn’t make that as explicit as the anime does. After Pencilgon watches the raid on Asura Kai start it shifts focus to the Tombguard fight until that is completely resolved.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Catching up is the 14.5 episode worth watching at all or is it just recap?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New OP kicks rear end

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Catching up is the 14.5 episode worth watching at all or is it just recap?

It's pretty much just recap.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I love how they're managing to keep up with the series' humor during this battle.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

I love how they're managing to keep up with the series' humor during this battle.

Best part of it really, this is also exactly what a bunch of gamers who are good friends would be doing to each other as they fight a raid boss. Ribbing each other on the dumb poo poo they are doing while still taking the actual fight seriously.

The pacing for the fight is also holding up decently

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Who among us has not pointed a boss the wrong way and felt like poo poo?

The documentary at the end was maybe one of the best minis they've done, too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Glazius posted:

Who among us has not pointed a boss the wrong way and felt like poo poo?

The documentary at the end was maybe one of the best minis they've done, too.

Of course I know that person, it's me. I pointed the bosses cone the wrong way and filled the arena with bad.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

if this follows typical MMO dev precedent, when weathermon falls the devs are going to almost immediately accuse the trio of exploiting

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bean mom posted:

if this follows typical MMO dev precedent, when weathermon falls the devs are going to almost immediately accuse the trio of exploiting

Or it will go like "so he was finally beaten eh? one of the major clans pulled it off I presume?"
"No, it was a brawler girl, a PKing sadist girl, and a half naked birdman."
"Nani?!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone make a small gif of the scene in the previous episode when Emul is perching on his shoulder and tries to get the second shoo the second mailbird away?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AtomikKrab posted:

Of course I know that person, it's me. I pointed the bosses cone the wrong way and filled the arena with bad.

The whole thing was giving me flashbacks to tanking in Final Fantasy XIV.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, one of the endearing things about SLF is that the author has clearly played a lot of MMOs and knows what makes them interesting. For example, a lot of authors would be tempted to add some melodrama to this current fight to up the stakes. Instead, it's just a lady with a dumb pun name getting over-invested in the lore, and relying on her idiot friends to tank good. It'd be fun thing to do in a real MMO, and it's a fun thing to watch in SLF.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Haystack posted:

Yeah, one of the endearing things about SLF is that the author has clearly played a lot of MMOs and knows what makes them interesting. For example, a lot of authors would be tempted to add some melodrama to this current fight to up the stakes. Instead, it's just a lady with a dumb pun name getting over-invested in the lore, and relying on her idiot friends to tank good. It'd be fun thing to do in a real MMO, and it's a fun thing to watch in SLF.

It's even got a bit more 'realism' than a lot of similar takes because the defeat of the boss isn't even 'look at their overpowered cheat skill etc' but instead a combination of good players, he ay preparation and throwing obscene amounts of money at the problem.

Sure there is an element of literary conceit (why does she not describe all the bosses attacks and her plans in advance, other than that she is a dick like them), but the core loop behind fighting this is very similar to something like absolute virtue, albiet by abusing overpowered consumables rather than cheap abilities.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why bother with 100% revival items, if all attacks one hit kill anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why bother with 100% revival items, if all attacks one hit kill anyway?

Because you're limited per type in how many revival items you can carry.