Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thermostat question. My floor heat has basic thermostats and I want to add a smart one that requires a C wire. I have the three wires ran in the wall, only two being used. Here is my panel:

If I want to send power is this the spot I need to hook up the C wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

armorer posted:

I'm trying to find c7 sockets to make a custom cord for some Christmas lights. I am specifically looking for ones with these metal wings - https://www.zoro.com/westinghouse-repl-cord-1-bulb-c7-28547/i/G4316570/ but I can only find individual sockets with a little plastic clip. Does anyone know a place I can buy this type of socket?

I think these are what I need - https://www.amazon.com/National-Artcraft-Connect-Candelabra-Socket/dp/B07PM8H833/ref=asc_df_B07PM8H833/

https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/categories/christmas-wire

I prefer this seller. I got all my c9 and c7 strings, bulk wire, plugs and sockets here.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I've used them in the past and would again, but they don't have the socket type I am looking for.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

armorer posted:

Yeah I've used them in the past and would again, but they don't have the socket type I am looking for.

Ohhh I missed the metal wings. This must be for signage or something?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

StormDrain posted:

Ohhh I missed the metal wings. This must be for signage or something?

I'm making some custom wiring for old porcelain Christmas Village houses.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

wandler20 posted:

Thermostat question. My floor heat has basic thermostats and I want to add a smart one that requires a C wire. I have the three wires ran in the wall, only two being used. Here is my panel:

If I want to send power is this the spot I need to hook up the C wire?

Yes, use the terminal labeled com

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I read somewhere that most microwaves are made by Midea in the same factory. Very few brands make their own anymore.

My new Frigidaire is almost identical to the Kenmore that broke. Very handy since I was worried about fitting a replacement for a defunct brand.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TacoHavoc posted:

Yes, use the terminal labeled com

That's what I figured but I wanted reassurance. Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mother fucker my tax assessment for my house and land just doubled from 2020. Like fully doubled. Ugh.

edit: I briefly misread it. It went up 80% not 100%

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2024

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
loving hate it when my assets appreciate in value. Wish I was living in poverty and watching my debts get bigger :qq:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Corla Plankun posted:

loving hate it when my assets appreciate in value. Wish I was living in poverty and watching my debts get bigger :qq:

Yeah I get it. I like my assets to appreciate too. It was just that we were already living in an area that we felt was getting too expensive and margins are slim so a bigger than expected mortgage payment is going to hurt. Basically just another log on the pile.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sucks that housing is an asset

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I get it. I like my assets to appreciate too. It was just that we were already living in an area that we felt was getting too expensive and margins are slim so a bigger than expected mortgage payment is going to hurt. Basically just another log on the pile.

Yeah, and it'd be nice if you saw any benefit aside from when you sold it. When was the last time that they adjusted the appraisal? Around here I think it's only with projects that increase the livable square footage. Although I guess if I were to, like, build a detached garage that might also trigger an assessment and that would be an utter disaster since it's been assessed at $218,130 for at least 25 years (the Zillow page only goes back to 1999) and the current market estimate is around four times that. No biggie, just gotta come up with an extra $1750 a month!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here in Gloucester County, New Jersey, they raised our taxes about $1000 / 20% after I finished my detached garage

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

Here in Gloucester County, New Jersey, they raised our taxes about $1000 / 20% after I finished my detached garage

20% I could deal with. Quadrupling not so much. Shame, too, I'd really like a detached garage.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I look forward to what our patio addition will add to our taxes once the adjuster swings by this year. She came in late September but they had barely poured the footer, so I gave her a ??? when it came to completion date.

They apparently don’t do assessments dec/jan so I at least saved myself a couple of months of extra taxes.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I'm annoyed every year my assessment goes up too, but that's because our assessment department is useless and the result is massive inequities in the assessed values and the resulting property taxes, particular of those $1m+ properties.

They're supposed to actively assess here so every year there's the potential for change and as far as I can tell in the last 20 years they mostly seem to just blanket increase properties by their general area and how the wider areas market has been. That might be fine if the baseline they were starting from was accurate or if they actually used data from recent sales to catch big disparities but they don't seem to at all. The muni does send out letters asking new home buyers to disclose what they paid but there's no requirements to actually do so, so no one does.

My neighborhood isn't really to far off the mark but overall tax assessments are traditionally lower than market value to the tune of around ~10% in most of the area. In my houses case I suspect the assessment is about 5-10% over the mark because the previous owner had a tax lien on the property which didn't create any problems for us except that the actual sale value did get reported and I have reason to believe the blanket increases from the hot market don't really represent my specific houses worth. Not a huge deal on its own the annoyance comes from watching the market since COVID and seeing dozens of houses with assessments in the $500k range sale for 7-figure sums then get the same 5 figure assessment increases my house is getting. I could hop on the muni's property GIS system right now and point to at least a dozen properties with assessments that're around 33% of what they've sold for in the last 3 years. I've never seen such complete mismatches for houses in the median price range and this of course means that poorer households are subsidizing the property taxes of richer ones, which does make you wonder if there's political pressure involved in keeping it this way.

TL'DR: Our tax assessors whether through incompetence, laziness, or on purpose often seem to value houses in the median price brackets(around $450k) within 10% of apparent market value while often assessing those at double or more the median at closer to 50% or even lower.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BonoMan posted:

Mother fucker my tax assessment for my house and land just doubled from 2020. Like fully doubled. Ugh.

edit: I briefly misread it. It went up 80% not 100%

In the Denver area everyone's assements went up about 60%, enough so that the legislature immediately started looking to relieve the pain.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elem7 posted:

The muni does send out letters asking new home buyers to disclose what they paid but there's no requirements to actually do so, so no one does.

Not a huge deal on its own the annoyance comes from watching the market since COVID and seeing dozens of houses with assessments in the $500k range sale for 7-figure sums then get the same 5 figure assessment increases my house is getting.

This is one of those things where going to a meeting or getting on a committee is probably the right idea, but you're not going to make any friends asking them to raise the assessments by 100% on the million dollar houses as it were - this is going to trigger all of the temporarily embarrassed millionaires in their $400-600k houses subsidizing those rich people houses.

Either way, I would start by emailing and asking if they use MLS to gather sale data, that should be ultra cheap for them to do. I'm surprised it's not compulsory to mail in a form to the tax man as part of a sale so they can assess the taxes, transfer fees, etc correctly. If it's as bad as your reckon it is buying an MLS subscription for the muni should pay for itself 100x over. I assume sales that are FSBO / completely off the MLS are few and far between. Google tells me an MLS feed is $500/year tops. I would send 10 concrete examples in a table based on like 2022 sale data to 2023 tax roll data. Keep it simple. Obviously fill in your mil rate correctly, for California it's 1% (plus all the voted indebtedness, but remember KISS.)

"For example, I believe there is a systemic flaw in our calculation in the below APNs which is depriving the municipality of revenue:
APN, Street Address, Sale Value, Tax Value
Total difference: $2,000,000 * 1% mil rate = $20,000/year lost revenue."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elem7 posted:

Honestly I'm annoyed every year my assessment goes up too, but that's because our assessment department is useless and the result is massive inequities in the assessed values and the resulting property taxes, particular of those $1m+ properties.

They're supposed to actively assess here so every year there's the potential for change and as far as I can tell in the last 20 years they mostly seem to just blanket increase properties by their general area and how the wider areas market has been...

I would call the tax assessor's office and find out whether or not you can request an appeal. I have no idea what the success rate is (and it largely depends on your municipality, probably) but I have heard many stories - and it was my mother's experience - that challenging the assessment has a fair chance of getting it reduced.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our new assessment comes with an appeal form included.

I'm in Wake County, NC and they assess every four years. My house DID get a full gut and reno in 2022 (last assessment was 2020) and it essentially assessed for what I paid for it. Although, after buying, it appraised for $10K over what we paid and then 6 months later a comp sold for $100k over what we paid.

Fun thing was that when I went to the county site they had all the assessor photos back to 1995. That was a little fun trip through time.

Elem7 posted:

The muni does send out letters asking new home buyers to disclose what they paid but there's no requirements to actually do so, so no one does.

Interesting because our county site lists all sales and prices and I can see all my neighbors and what they paid dating back to the 80s. Zillow lists sale prices too right?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 21, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Zillow lists sale prices too right?

It Depends(tm) - For California home sale prices are public record. Other times it's from an MLS. You can find lots of houses where zillow (et al) don't have them probably because whatever feed doesn't have them, or the sales were all pre-digital submission of records, etc.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I posted this in the wrong thread first time, so here's the duplicate:

I've got a painted brick fireplace

I hate it.
What's the right method for stripping it?

I've thought of:

• Chemical strippers and scraper
  • Heat Gun and Scraper
  • Orbital Sander
  • Grinder with flap disk
  • Home/DIY media blasting
  • Call professionals (Dry ice blasting?)

Ignore it forever is another option, as is doing a wood slat facade.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Meanwhile my wife wants to paint our fireplace brick. :negative:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Explain to your wife that that's a thing only terrorists and people in the 70s would do.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

Explain to your wife that that's a thing only terrorists and people in the 70s would do.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Meet her in the middle, put this up around the house and let her paint it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I moved into this house, the kitchen had a wall that had those stick-on bricks on it. They'd painted the entire wall, bricks and all, a pastel lime green. It was hideous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread first time, so here's the duplicate:

I've got a painted brick fireplace

I hate it.
What's the right method for stripping it?

I've thought of:

Ignore it forever is another option, as is doing a wood slat facade.

Wirewheel it. Hard enough to zip the coating, but soft enough not to mar the masonry. Very messy. Requires several (and a couple types) of wheels. Don't skimp on the PE.

devmd01 posted:

no.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Same :negative: As does our decorator. :negative:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I recently upgraded my tv, but the wall mount that is already anchored into the studs is about two/three inches too low, and is running into the cabinet below it. the holes on the mount that attach to the TV are also just out of range of were I need them - basically the vertical arm doesn't have a hole for the bottom screw of the tv vesa hole where i would need it to get the overall clearance i need to clear the cabinet below it. also it's an 80 lb tv.

My question - is it possible to drill a new hole, with a hand drill and not a press, in the vertical arms of the mount where i need it? i don't know what kind of steel it is but it seems pretty hardy. im open to other suggestions as well, but id rather not move the actual wallplat on the studs since im assuming moving it two or three inches up on an already drilled out set of studs could be compromising to the stud?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 21, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I recently upgraded my tv, but the wall mount that is already anchored into the studs is about two/three inches too low, and is running into the cabinet below it. the holes on the mount that attach to the TV are also just out of range of were I need them - basically the vertical arm doesn't have a hole for the bottom screw of the tv vesa hole where i would need it to get the overall clearance i need to clear the cabinet below it. also it's an 80 lb tv.

My question - is it possible to drill a new hole, with a hand drill and not a press, in the vertical arms of the mount where i need it? i don't know what kind of steel it is but it seems pretty hardy. im open to other suggestions as well, but id rather not move the actual wallplat on the studs since im assuming moving it two or three inches up on an already drilled out set of studs could be compromising to the stud?

Can you take a photo of this? It's really hard to appreciate exactly what you're talking about.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I’m trying to mount some shelving in the basement, and am finally fed up with stripping Phillips head screws with my drill. I want to get an impact driver + some torx screws and bits.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an impact driver? I don’t have any battery operated tools, so am not locked into any particular brand.

Is this a reasonable option?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...ID01K/313438683

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bought a 24v kobalt over a decade ago when I was working for Lowe’s at the time. Still works great. I would spend a little more like in the 150 range if you can and go with Dewalt/Makita. I think Kobalt is still pretty good too. I think Craftsman is good still even after Lowe’s bought them. Ryobi is fine but they tend to be a little cheaper quality and it’s something you’ll use forever. Inpact drivers are so versatile.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Can you take a photo of this? It's really hard to appreciate exactly what you're talking about.
absolutely, updated the original post with pics of the back of the tv with one of the vertical arms and the wall plate attached to the wall

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KoRMaK posted:

I think I understand what you're saying, but just move the mount up a bit. You're not compromising the stud in the slightest with a couple of screws so don't let that concern you in the least. You probably have a bigger chance of doing something to the mount if you start putting holes into that where they're not meant to be.

The only potential downside, and its nothing, is you're putting holes in the drywall. But if they're hidden behind the TV :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

EPICAC posted:

I’m trying to mount some shelving in the basement, and am finally fed up with stripping Phillips head screws with my drill. I want to get an impact driver + some torx screws and bits.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an impact driver? I don’t have any battery operated tools, so am not locked into any particular brand.

When it comes to handheld power tools, for the most part you just pick your favorite color. They're all pretty comparable. Some of them will have tools that others don't, or have a slightly different ergonomics to them, but that's about it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

slidebite posted:

I think I understand what you're saying, but just move the mount up a bit. You're not compromising the stud in the slightest with a couple of screws so don't let that concern you in the least. You probably have a bigger chance of doing something to the mount if you start putting holes into that where they're not meant to be.

The only potential downside, and its nothing, is you're putting holes in the drywall. But if they're hidden behind the TV :shrug:

sounds good to me, i don't have to fill the unused holes with dowels or anything?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You only have to fill the hole if you're trying to reuse it after it's too stripped out to reuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When it comes to handheld power tools, for the most part you just pick your favorite color. They're all pretty comparable. Some of them will have tools that others don't, or have a slightly different ergonomics to them, but that's about it.

you're just going to have to come to grips with the fact that you are committing yourself to a power tool ecosystem when you buy them because the main part of the cost on these things is the batteries, so once you get one thing you might as well get other tools you need in the same brand.

I have Skil ones I got at Menards I'm happy with, but like they're all basically the same at this point