Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Brought To You By posted:

now I'm wondering how busted Mr. Potato Head's domain expansion would be.

Domain Expansion: Faces of Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I couldn't understand why the sword didn't work at first. If that's really the end of Higuruma and the effect of the sword I cannot believe it. If that was it then it's just such a dull thing to do. I was glad to bring Higuruma back for the final battle and he's probably my favourite character but there was no reason for any of this if that's it. Sukuna cutting his hand off in the previous chapter was a better resolution to it than this. There has gotta be more to it plus the bodies being take. Incredible feeling of cope but whatever.

I did like Sukuna getting really introspective though. That was pretty good I thought.

At this rate Okkotsu will do a domain expansion, get backstabbed instantly by Uraume before it forms because she killed Hakari off screen.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's really, really funny that Sukuna's character development is becoming the ultimate Itadori hater. Good chapter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Am I just out of touch? No! I need to hate his bitch rear end more

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hypocrisy posted:

It's really, really funny that Sukuna's character development is becoming the ultimate Itadori hater. Good chapter.

Someone has to take the place with Mahito dead.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Yeah, this chapter was actually a huge recovery move in my eyes. Really excited to see the next stage in the fight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i like the idea that sukuna is genuinely a little hosed in the head due to all the time he spent spacing out as a cursed object over a millenium

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I think it pretty cool the idea that, just as Mahito's obsession with Yuji led to his perfected self being a dark mirror of his nemesis and ultimately causing his downfall, Sukuna becoming attached to Yuji might lead to a regression from his enlightenment and thus weakening.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LightReaper posted:

Kind of bizarre / indicative of this tail end of the manga that a main characters sister got fridged unceremoniously to create a mcguffin that got described as a big deal but didn’t do anything. Said thing got dealt with by worfing one of the select few new characters from the culling games arc with some interesting development and buildup.

Hey! She also got fridged to deal *Emotional Damage*

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

you can't tell me anyone really cared about tsumiki

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

you can't tell me anyone really cared about tsumiki

Megumi did.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/CraackedEggs/status/1749207805867815300

these gege messed up memes funny

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm just imagining a repeat of MHA (the parts I still read) where America's strongest Sorcerer shows up just to get flattened by Sukuna like Stars and Stripes did.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://x.com/danboywonder/status/1749222543423066259?s=46

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Yeah, while I'm generally more positive on the series than a good portion of this thread, having JJK become another "Japanese people are special and magically superior to other races," even when justified by Tengen fuckery, was a big let down, especially when Miguel was introduced in 0 and Yuta went to Africa to study other forms of jujutsu.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, while I'm generally more positive on the series than a good portion of this thread, having JJK become another "Japanese people are special and magically superior to other races," even when justified by Tengen fuckery, was a big let down, especially when Miguel was introduced in 0 and Yuta went to Africa to study other forms of jujutsu.

Especially when there curse/soul/whatever type folk lore in pretty much every continent so the idea that Japan would be the only place that has CURSED ENERGY is ridiculous and requires a good explanation (which we did not get) to sell.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

isnt the explanation "tengen is doing some weird poo poo" and we're still waiting for the payoff on that? I feel like that's fine?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Yeah, it's explained lore wise as Tengen basically sucking up the curse energy from everywhere else, saturating Japan so it could all be dealt with there, because the higher saturation also makes more sorcerers (as far as I understood it). There are sorcerers and curses, but they're weaker everywhere else. But that's dumb. I want Norwegian sorcerers fighting vaesen in Stockholm and Filipino sorcerers in Manila to be kicking aswang rear end. But nope, only Japan is special because of narrative contrivance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It doesn't bother me too much because it's basically an excuse for why the story is going to remain focused on the country of its origin, like how superhero stories take place 90% in New York City. I'd prefer it be otherwise but it's a pretty common writing element.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Heinan era globetrotting adventure when other areas still have magic would go hard tho

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Honestly after the Fate Strange/Fake teaser episode on the concept of America Fate went so ridiculously hard, I want JJK spin offs for other countries.

All you would really need to say is that some areas managed to avoid detection by Tengen when they sealed the majority of cursed energy in Japan. Or maybe facing a massive shortage of cursed energy after Tengen's "Japan people are better" move, perhaps they evolved to use cursed energy at a similar level by being much more efficient (because they had to be, much like Gojo/6 eyes interaction).

Did I mention the teaser of strange/fake owned?

If Gege is as ready to peace out on JJK as he's indicated for quite some time now, I'll bet he would sell rights for spin offs no problem.

There's no way they're going to let Gege ruin the money printing machine...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Heinan era globetrotting adventure when other areas still have magic would go hard tho

Oh, I am not disagreeing at all, I fuckin' love that kind of poo poo, it's just something I'm kind of geared to accept since a lot of writers are going to have an easier time focusing on things they personally are familiar with, in addition to having an easier time avoiding pitfalls of accidentally portraying something in a bad way.

Taima posted:

Honestly after the Fate Strange/Fake teaser episode on the concept of America Fate went so ridiculously hard, I want JJK spin offs for other countries.

All you would really need to say is that some areas managed to avoid detection by Tengen when they sealed the majority of cursed energy in Japan. Or maybe facing a massive shortage of cursed energy after Tengen's "Japan people are better" move, perhaps they evolved to use cursed energy at a similar level by being much more efficient (because they had to be, much like Gojo/6 eyes interaction).

If Gege is as ready to peace out on JJK as he's indicated for quite some time now, I'll bet he would sell rights for spin offs no problem.

For good or ill I can't imagine reading JJK written by a different author. It's a pretty creator-focused work.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't bother me too much because it's basically an excuse for why the story is going to remain focused on the country of its origin, like how superhero stories take place 90% in New York City. I'd prefer it be otherwise but it's a pretty common writing element.

Those super hero settings don't go "we've trapped all the criminals in new york city" (ok Escape from NY did do this but thats a movie), they just don't explore outside of gotham/metropolis/whatever. Its a choice to force Japan into being the only place, which then he expanded upon by having other countries wanna steal their jujutsu energy!?

Edit: Now if tengen gets merged and all his barriers get hosed and then the sequel is cursed energy is normalized everywhere now here's a Haitian jujutsu guy, that'd be cool.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ImpAtom posted:

For good or ill I can't imagine reading JJK written by a different author. It's a pretty creator-focused work.

Oh, how sad. I'm not sure what else to say; I have a lot more optimism I think!

JJK had an excellent framework, even if it has been almost completely destroyed by Gege post-Shibuya.

Using that framework to option a spin-off with a different vibe and structure feels like a slam dunk to me, especially if that author cared more about the story than Gege seems to at this moment :shrug:

I'm sitting here chuckling at the insistence that no one could write whatever the gently caress this manga has been post-shib

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Taima posted:

Oh, how sad. I'm not sure what else to say; I have a lot more optimism I think!

JJK had an excellent framework, even if it has been almost completely destroyed by Gege post-Shibuya.

Using that framework to option a spin-off with a different vibe and structure feels like a slam dunk to me, especially if that author cared more about the story than Gege seems to at this moment :shrug:

I'm sitting here chuckling at the insistence that no one could write whatever the gently caress this manga has been post-shib

I think Gege cares about the story, but the story he wants to tell is not the one you'd have preferred to read.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

most shonen lore/setting cruft (which I assume is what's meant here by "framework") is meaningless when divorced from its creator. e.g. the Buddhist influences and the way they've been implemented narratively and aesthetically, the art and paneling, the way fights are written and portrayed (and what that means), that's the real interesting stuff in JJK. the power system and setting are nothing, it's jojo stands stapled to naruto chakra and also they're ghostbusting. which is totally fine, they exist to serve the story, but if you think they're interesting there's ten thousand things out there near enough to them as makes no difference.

the main boring thing about the "sorcerers only in Japan" thing imo is that its tied to tengen and we're just still waiting on the narrative payoff for tengen.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think Gege cares about the story, but the story he wants to tell is not the one you'd have preferred to read.

Yeah I have zero interest whatsoever in a work in this world that isn’t made by Gege. All of the stuff that makes this series stand out from its peers is his style.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

I say this truly without meaning to be rude, but we really don’t need multiple massive essays from you on how you would write the story . You keep asserting he doesn’t like his work, how this and that is bad based on what you’d prefer the story is and well the story is never gonna be about the things you want and it never indicated it was trying to be

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I only vaguely remember Tengen and his explanation for why Japan is the only place with curses/sorcerers but you could also take it as Tengen being an aberration that hosed up the natural order and that there *really shouldn't* be out and out cursed spirits and sorcerers. The status quo isn't something that needs to be protected or "fixed" by just killing the big badguy and making the sorcerer families less assholish- the whole thing just shouldn't exist.

That being said, foreign sorcerers would've been really interesting. I wanna see like, the Jersey Devil, Mothman, and Bigfoot cursed spirits.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I have a very poor memory for it as well (and a lot of other things lately, it seems), but I think it may have been something like, cursed spirits did exist everywhere, but Tengen brought them all to Japan and, in the same process, concentrated enough cursed energy to allow the existence of sorcerors with the ability to fight them (as well as setting up the whole barrier system, etc.). None of which seems like a great idea in retrospect, from "why would you bring all those bastards here" to "why would you also create a class of human bastards who create plenty of additional suffering", but it's perfectly consistent with the running theme of people on the brink of madness pursuing their own ambitions and experiments at the cost of absolutely everything else.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah, it’s actually a pretty important plot point because it’s very likely there is something nefarious about the whole thing.

Tengen even had Sukuna’s corpse in one of the barrier’s , Kenjaku said they don’t know the truth of what Tengen really is etc.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

yeah, there's clearly some setup with both Kenjaku and Tengen still waiting to happen. This won't just be "beat Sukuna and roll credits".

didn't Kenjaku even imply that Tengen has deliberately hosed the current era sorcerers at points?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Curses do exist elsewhere they are just rarer. A lot of the special grades Kenjaku collected were from other countries.

As Yuki says Tengen's Barriers have largely collected most CE in Japan so it's the only place that could become a land of Sorcerers via optimization.

Also the only other way to end the Culling Game outside of Kenjaku's plan going forward is for Tengen to dismiss the barriers which would result in CE spreading across the globe again.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
lol if no one can defeat Sukuna and he does the Tengen merge and it actually unfucks the world and makes everything better

Sukuna being the unwitting savior of the world and hero of the story would unironically own

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

lol if no one can defeat Sukuna and he does the Tengen merge and it actually unfucks the world and makes everything better

Sukuna being the unwitting savior of the world and hero of the story would unironically own

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I don't think giving all Japanese superpowers would make the world better but I'm not a blood & soil Japan stan so what do I know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Sukuna is the protagonist of this story frfr and all the teeth gnashing is hilarious

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't stop laughing at that Sukuna panel. He's using his four arms to the fullest by being able to cross his arms AND have his hands on his hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I will say, no matter what, Gege has reached Prequel Star Wars territory of meme-ification. If he can some pull this ending out of its current tailspin (for me personally) and land this plane it will be goated. Creating a bunch of banger meme panels is already going to give JJK plenty of legs into the future.