Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Watch OPLA

Cancel subscription

Renew when the next season drops

That's gotta give them some data that says they should keep making it, right?

This is another reason to put up the new arc episodes. Hardcore OP fans who mainly subbed to netflix when they didnt before to watch the live action, putting up the current episodes might give a few of them a reason to stay subbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose posted:

Sure and I genuinely like that this is happening but like those are 2 weird as gently caress episodes to pick. Obviously money etc plays a part but I guess just getting Wano up to now in its entirety makes way more sense to me
It's fine IMO. The start of an arc is about as good a place to start as any if you don't have 600+ hours to dedicate to catchup. The first Egghead episode starts with Big News Morgan doing a recap of the events that lead up to that point, and in the manga pretty much every returning character or callback has been explained to the audience. Oda himself even said Egghead was a perfectly good jumping-on point for new fans:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the panel of kuma winding up to deck saturn is the hypest poo poo imaginable, one piece rules, namaste

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And now you can see it officially

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019947

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kizaru: Welp

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah Monsters is officially out on Netflix now.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Julias posted:

Oh yeah Monsters is officially out on Netflix now.

Thank you, watching it now

Sorry Cowboys & Aliens, u will have to wait

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

OPLA was such a big success and i imagine metrics on the old anime episodes they have are pretty decent too so they wanted to capitalize on the hype and get all the current fans to watch on their platform. Theyre also funding a new anime starting from the beginning and animating the Monsters one-shot. Netflix is pretty all in on One Piece as a brand now and they want to be attached to it on all fronts

they also got the rights to air egghead too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Yes, I'm a miserable sight... I should've brought darker shades."

I choose to twist that statement mercilessly to make it that Kizaru is saying he can't turn a blind eye to the Gorosei's evil anymore! :byodame:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
General question but Blackbeard wants to be pirate king but also actually rule the world right? Like those things don't clash but I guess I don't see why being pirate king would be necessary or how come he hasn't attacked the world government formally until I guess whats coming

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Whitebeard said that the truth of the One Piece would shake the world to its core, so I would assume that possessing it would be a very good asset in taking down the WG

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

All that most people know is that the One Piece is a massive treasure left by Gold Roger, those in the know understand it's far more valuable than just a pile of treasure. Whether Blackbeard knows this is unclear, but either way it's a way to secure himself as the strongest and freest pirate free to do whatever he want before he sets eyes on the World Government if he wanted to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Whitebeard said that the truth of the One Piece would shake the world to its core

Maybe Roger and everybody laughed because to use the One Piece you need to have the Quake-Quake* fruit!

* And to survive the internal damage it would do to your body, you need your body to have the properties of rubber!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Jose posted:

General question but Blackbeard wants to be pirate king but also actually rule the world right? Like those things don't clash but I guess I don't see why being pirate king would be necessary or how come he hasn't attacked the world government formally until I guess whats coming

I keep waiting for Xebec to show up because I think if there are two people in Blackbeard, one of them in Xebec who wants to be king of the world whereas Blackbird wants to be Pirate King. I am guessing they didn't show all of God Valley because showing Rocks would give the game away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

All that most people know is that the One Piece is a massive treasure left by Gold Roger, those in the know understand it's far more valuable than just a pile of treasure. Whether Blackbeard knows this is unclear, but either way it's a way to secure himself as the strongest and freest pirate free to do whatever he want before he sets eyes on the World Government if he wanted to.

Blackbeard was part of the Whitebeard Pirates, so it's not too out of the realm of possibility that he has an inkling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

Blackbeard's current stated goal is to create a pirate nation with World Government membership.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s funny how Coby forgot the existence of the Evil Drum Kingdom, With Blackjack And Hookers.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Huh. Wonder if that means BB will ally with the World Gov in some upcoming battle here. Would nicely tie the bow on the series having two prominent antagonists. Something something Black Beard gets hired by Imu to kill Luffy, which leads to BB ultimately betraying them or something something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Blackbeard's current stated goal is to create a pirate nation with World Government membership.

To be fair, Blackbeard's earlier goal was to be one of the 7 Warlords, and that was only to get him into a position to get what he wanted for the next step in his plan. Now he's an Emperor and his goal is to turn his country into one with official recognition, and that in turn is probably just going to be so he can move forward on the next step of his plan.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
He became a Warlord so he could walk into Impel Down unimpeded, being a King would let him do the same at Mary Geoise

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crocodile has similar goals making a powerful nation. (Croc just wants Pluton to back it up)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard has a lot in common with rocks
rocks goal was to rule the world
ruling the world would require either a complete and utter destruction of existing power structures and taking reins of the remains, or... just doing a coup on imu
the only non-gorosei to make any direct contact with imu (besides sabo, kinda) was a leader of a nation under the WG

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

i forgot rocks was a guy so that first sentence was weird

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Drakkel posted:

He became a Warlord so he could walk into Impel Down unimpeded, being a King would let him do the same at Mary Geoise

the warlords were occasionally summoned by the world government to mary geoise - laffitte even crashed one of their meetings to nominate blackbeard as a replacement, so whatever blackbeard is plotting is probably more than just that

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

lih posted:

the warlords were occasionally summoned by the world government to mary geoise - laffitte even crashed one of their meetings to nominate blackbeard as a replacement, so whatever blackbeard is plotting is probably more than just that

The kings have to pledge at the Empty Throne, right? Maybe that’s the access he wouldn’t have gotten as a mere Warlord.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

MonsterEnvy posted:

i seriously wonder if this is because he knows there's something at mariegeose and it's his idea of how to infiltrate it to take it

esp cuz infiltrating there has already been done once by a bb pirate with lafitte

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Drakkel posted:

ya this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Curious if Blackbeard even knows Imu exists somehow (if I recall correctly I think he mentioned knowing something about Mary Geoise) or is ultimately just gunning for the position of Celestial Dragon or higher at the end of it all currently

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 22, 2024

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

blackbeard's got a lot of look similarity to kuma too which keeps bugging me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Larryb posted:

Curious if Blackbeard even knows Imu exists somehow (if I recall correctly I think he mentioned knowing something about Mary Geoise) or is ultimately just gunning for the position of Celestial Dragon or higher at the end of it all currently

As far as we know the only living people in the world that know are the Gorosei, Wapol, and Sabo/Dragon/Ivankov

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Given that Blackbeard has already betrayed the World Government once already, I can't see them giving him an official position again. I'm not sure Blackbeard really thought that was a serious possibility; certainly not in return for Coby of all people. Maybe it was an intentionally outrageous opening offer for negotiating purposes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

It's important to remember that the title of Pirate King doesn't actually have any intrinsic value. It's just something the WG/Morgans gave Roger after his capture. In world it's just what the person who finds the One Piece gets called, and means something different to everyone. So far Luffy is the only character in the whole history to equate freedom and pirating. Assuming freedom is any aspect of what other people are seeking when looking for the treasure is as questionable as using Luffy definitions for any word or concept.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Given that Blackbeard has already betrayed the World Government once already, I can't see them giving him an official position again. I'm not sure Blackbeard really thought that was a serious possibility; certainly not in return for Coby of all people. Maybe it was an intentionally outrageous opening offer for negotiating purposes.

He seems to think he can legit bargain with them. Before the time skip, days at most after he betrayed them, he attempted to bargain with them again offering to trade them Bonney in exchange for a Warship, and he seemed to think they were bringing him a ship until one of his men saw that Sakazuki was on board and the Blackbeards bolted. With Koby he brings up that he's a Hero and the World Gov letting him die would be awful optics for them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's important to remember that the title of Pirate King doesn't actually have any intrinsic value. It's just something the WG/Morgans gave Roger after his capture. In world it's just what the person who finds the One Piece gets called, and means something different to everyone. So far Luffy is the only character in the whole history to equate freedom and pirating. Assuming freedom is any aspect of what other people are seeking when looking for the treasure is as questionable as using Luffy definitions for any word or concept.

Also even for Luffy becoming Pirate King is basically just a means of achieving his real dream that we still don’t know about yet

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I believe in Blackbeard, he doesn’t seem like that bad a guy in comparison to pretty much every other villain. He’s like Foxy but with higher aspirations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I believe Blackbeard is, as usual, similar to Luffy, in that we understand what his plan is, but we don't actually know what his goal is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I believe in Blackbeard, he doesn’t seem like that bad a guy in comparison to pretty much every other villain. He’s like Foxy but with higher aspirations.

He was introduced sacking an entire country, two of his subordinates (Shiliew and Devon) are outright serial killers, he made the Level 5 prisoners kill each other for slots in his crew, and IIRC there is slavery in his territories. He's not that that bad a guy in comparison to Saturn, but I don't see how he has any moral high ground over, say, Don Krieg.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Blackbeard is such a great looming villain. He knows a TON, he doesn't say much about it and definitively has a complex and currently working plan. He is so great he can't be the main villain until the main villain dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

cobra knows that imu was one of the founders of the 20 nations or whatever. the only thing about the upper echelons people dont know about at all seems to be that imu is the current person that sits on the empty throne. blackbeard is known to have a really deep knowledge of the world, so he might just have found out through some digging