Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just flash back to stuff like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFBoPSOXfEk

except the Peeps one actually has a song. It just feels like a flub in trying to do stop-motion aesthetic cg or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Between Bravern and Bucchigiri it was a good day for wild colorful gay poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haypliss posted:

It just feels like a flub in trying to do stop-motion aesthetic cg or something.

Yeah it feels like they wanted a stop motion ED because they're been really popular recently but the studio that specialized in those was all booked out so they got a CG studio to make something all stilted like stop motion, and insisted they make the eyes as creepy and lifeless as possible

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's by one guy and looking at his previous work it seems like they got what they asked for

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Between Bravern and Bucchigiri it was a good day for wild colorful gay poo poo

There's a decent amount of gay series this season which, while not my taste, I appreciate and hope those who do like that stuff enjoy it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

time for Solo Leveling 03
i guess they're gonna continue cutting off randomly each episode.
I guess that's kind of how these webtoons go though. They just cut off mid sentence or mid action, and continues on next chapter

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From the latest Hirogaru Sky:

I gotta say, Cure Sephiroth was not on my bingo card but it’s a nice twist on the whole last minute powerup thing you often see in other Precure shows/movies (in this case the main villain somewhat possesses the main Cure instead)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 21, 2024

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That last cut in Solo Leveling kinda had GoHands energy it was rad

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
A sign of affection is probably going to be my pick for best romance anime this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
25 chapters in an Aka's latest work is getting into gear in its second act. Now it just needs the last leg of this relationship square to fully tie in both directions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finished the Kaina of the Great Snow Sea movie, which apparently released in October but Crunchyroll only got it in December.

All in all, it's a pretty satisfying conclusion to the show, although it definitely felt like it was just the last few episodes of the show packaged into a film instead of just airing as episodes. I imagine if it had gotten a second cours they would have probably have fleshed out the film antagonist a little more since he only shows up about halfway through and doesn't get to do very much of anything before the film ends (he also feels like a bit of a rehash of the show's antagonist).

The show as a whole won't end up in my list of best anime ever, but I had a good time watching it and the setting (far-future, post-natural-disaster-apocalypse society turned medieval) is cool and yes, a little reminiscent of Nausicaa.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Caught up with Mr. Villain's Day Off and Fluffy Paradise. Very relaxing, cute, feel-good anime. They're not going to win any awards, but they're just for the vibes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lemon-Lime posted:

The show as a whole won't end up in my list of best anime ever, but I had a good time watching it and the setting (far-future, post-natural-disaster-apocalypse society turned medieval) is cool and yes, a little reminiscent of Nausicaa.
Yeah it was alright. Some cool visuals at the end. Certainly a much better conclusion than whatever is going on in Fire Hunter

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tis Time for Torture Princess has held up past the 3-ep test imo, definitely shaking up the formula by this point while still keeping within the premise and also entertainingly lighthearted. lol'd at how absurdly long the knight's spell chants are, also wondering if his name is just a direct ref to Geass Lelouch which would be a weird ref to have but amusing

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Finished the Kaina of the Great Snow Sea movie, which apparently released in October but Crunchyroll only got it in December.

All in all, it's a pretty satisfying conclusion to the show, although it definitely felt like it was just the last few episodes of the show packaged into a film instead of just airing as episodes. I imagine if it had gotten a second cours they would have probably have fleshed out the film antagonist a little more since he only shows up about halfway through and doesn't get to do very much of anything before the film ends (he also feels like a bit of a rehash of the show's antagonist).

I like the movie quite a bit more than the show. For me, the most interesting thing about the show was the world itself and the movie expands on that. I also liked that the protagonist's ability to read finally felt important and relevant. A really solid conclusion to the story. I'd like see the show condensed into a film just to provide the needed context for this movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Torture Princess is looking like my fun pastime show for the season. Gonna stick with it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah Torture Princess is looking like my fun pastime show for the season. Gonna stick with it.

That show makes me hungry.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, moonlit fantasy is garbage. I don't know what the director is thinking but starting off your season with a side quest that has nothing to do with the arc of the season is just wild. Then making the second episode two back to back generic isekai protag origin stories is just... I don't know. Then you make the 3rd episode a flashback to a different perspective of the end of the last season, managing to not drive the plot at all over the course of 1.5 hours of screentime.

Just, like, what is this director thinking? I looked at his list of work, and he's not a newbie, but this seems like incredible incompetence. I know for a fact the light novel is not like this, I just read it like a month or two ago. This is all directorial choices.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They probably didn't know if they were getting a second season so they skipped other heroes to have the main character's big fight in the first season.

I haven't read the wn/ln but I'd guess it all ties in going forward so they had to go back to the side character's fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

That show makes me hungry.

what does this mean

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

what does this mean

there is food used as "torture" in the show. and it looks good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

what does this mean

They torture her by showing her delicious food and not letting her eat it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, moonlit fantasy is garbage. I don't know what the director is thinking but starting off your season with a side quest that has nothing to do with the arc of the season is just wild. Then making the second episode two back to back generic isekai protag origin stories is just... I don't know. Then you make the 3rd episode a flashback to a different perspective of the end of the last season, managing to not drive the plot at all over the course of 1.5 hours of screentime.

Just, like, what is this director thinking? I looked at his list of work, and he's not a newbie, but this seems like incredible incompetence. I know for a fact the light novel is not like this, I just read it like a month or two ago. This is all directorial choices.

I figured they'd need to bite the bullet and how the other two isekai heroes' backstories since they become major antagonists but yeah, 3 eps is too much.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil is good, yall

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
year of the elf baby

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Torture Princess: I forgot there's not one, but two excellent Maomaos this season

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
in today's hokkaido gal ep we ride the chairlift without lowering the safety bar

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's just how gals do things

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The lobotomized Ogre in Torture Princess hasn't said a single world and he's still one of the best side characters. He just looks so happy.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Guyver posted:

They probably didn't know if they were getting a second season so they skipped other heroes to have the main character's big fight in the first season.

I haven't read the wn/ln but I'd guess it all ties in going forward so they had to go back to the side character's fight.

The introduction to the other heroes is generally more intermingled with the part of the story we saw in Season 1, yeah(culminating in Mikoto being whisked to the battlefield and going nuclear and all that), and they do matter in the future, so it can't be ignored entirely. So yeah, it just looks like a pile of "skipped it because we didn't know, but now we do, so we have to show it, and we really can't cram it into one episode"(they already crammed quite a bit in) so here we are. I knew this was going to be an issue when I watched Season 1, because this isn't stuff that's skippable, but it's not the main part of the story most people came to see, so every way of handling it outside of like, a random couple OVAs was going to stink. It either gets condensed into practically throwaway content when it actually matters or it gets more focus than people want when they just wanna watch our MC and his idiot OP followes.

FrozenPhoenix71 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 23, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Good news is this season is supposed to be 25 episodes so two or three episodes of catch up isn't that bad.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

I definitely agree that they had 24 episodes scripted, and when they only got a movie they cut getting everyone down from the tree, fixing the boat, and getting to the great spire tree.

I really liked it. Could have used an episode of epilogue to really seal it, but I'm glad we got what we got.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

This very much confused me for a moment, as there's another "gets summoned by the goddess and immediately discarded - but wait, their power only looks lovely but is actually super OP and the proper hero(es) is(are) terrible people" show coming out some time this year. And yeah, looking into it this is the second season of a show that aired a few years ago, but didn't notice or care then, and certainly don't now.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

tsukimichi seemed like a case of good main characters stuck in a bad show. especially the samurai lady

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I really liked the first season of Moonlit Fantasy, so I gotta say it is a disappointing we got lame episodes back to back focusing exclusively on characters who are way less interesting than any of the actual protagonists. Triply so because the main cast actually being interesting and compelling and having their own distinct personalities and motives was IMO the single strongest feature of the first season. The fact the show suddenly had to back up to slam through a bunch of scenes about characters who are markedly less interesting really sucks.

Honestly though I'm not sure there was a winning hand here. If they had cut in scenes about these losers into the first season it would've made it worse since these people are boring and also it would have been confusing because they had no relation to the main plot for that entire length of the story of that season. And if we are finally hitting their relevance to the plot and need to know who these people are then yeah, I guess the show does need to cram them into the second season for the sake of the anime onlys. I do hope the show can get back up to speed once we're focusing on characters I actually give a crap about because I don't really care about these people.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

They can't all go the, "I'm a Spider, so what?" manga route. Even though they should.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh boy getting the it's treason then interaction animated in level 99.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Omnicrom posted:

I really liked the first season of Moonlit Fantasy, so I gotta say it is a disappointing we got lame episodes back to back focusing exclusively on characters who are way less interesting than any of the actual protagonists. Triply so because the main cast actually being interesting and compelling and having their own distinct personalities and motives was IMO the single strongest feature of the first season. The fact the show suddenly had to back up to slam through a bunch of scenes about characters who are markedly less interesting really sucks.

Honestly though I'm not sure there was a winning hand here. If they had cut in scenes about these losers into the first season it would've made it worse since these people are boring and also it would have been confusing because they had no relation to the main plot for that entire length of the story of that season. And if we are finally hitting their relevance to the plot and need to know who these people are then yeah, I guess the show does need to cram them into the second season for the sake of the anime onlys. I do hope the show can get back up to speed once we're focusing on characters I actually give a crap about because I don't really care about these people.

I think they could have doubled down, really. Do some Steven Universe stuff where nothing exists until the main crew bumps into it, and the main crew absolutely will collide with these people:

The overachiever reeling from her first loss just bumps into Mio trying to understand how to miso -- something else that suffers from first season compression, manga Tomoe tries for a while to give Mio the impression that cooking is a good way to connect to Makoto because the otherwise primary point of connection is her tremendous powers of regeneration, which he cannot conceive of applying to him due to a previous life of suck and possibly also the ritual abnegation of his archery practice. We can get overachiever flashbacks pretty effectively through her continued regret trauma nightmares, which are absolutely a thing.

The scheming princess and the gamer knight with the roofie eye just bump into Tomoe investigating the crater lake. We can get flashbacks to their backstory as the princess's schemes continue.

Once both of those hit, then you can cut to the border fortress, with the demon strategist and the four-armed general doing their own after-action report.

But that's doing an awful lot of novel scene framing rather than just transcription and I have no idea if it'd work well or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

lv99 continues to be entertaining.