Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't think giving all Japanese superpowers would make the world better but I'm not a blood & soil Japan stan so what do I know

It wouldn't do this. If Tengen's Barriers are dissolved other barriers will become much harder to use, and fewer Sorcerers and Curses will show up in Japan (but will start becoming more common across the rest of the world). If Sukuna completes Kenjaku's plan a mega curse will be formed out of Japan's people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MonsterEnvy posted:

It wouldn't do this. If Tengen's Barriers are dissolved other barriers will become much harder to use, and fewer Sorcerers and Curses will show up in Japan (but will start becoming more common across the rest of the world). If Sukuna completes Kenjaku's plan a mega curse will be formed out of Japan's people.

I know it wouldn't but that's what the poster I replied to implied

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

PringleCreamEgg posted:

lol if no one can defeat Sukuna and he does the Tengen merge and it actually unfucks the world and makes everything better

Sukuna being the unwitting savior of the world and hero of the story would unironically own

sukuna would loving love the idea of everyone everywhere getting CE. he's really a pretty strange "big bad" in the sense that, as characters have pointed out from time to time, he's not got these absurd domination goals or anything. there is even a weird, archaic honor and logic to the way he behaves i think, offering himself as a measuring stick for all the others to throw themselves against.

the internal logic of the story doesn't even outright condemn him for being how he is. like what he offered ot both gojo and kashimo is explicitly positive, they are more actualized characters for having had the opportunity to engage with and fight against sukuna.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

sukuna would loving love the idea of everyone everywhere getting CE. he's really a pretty strange "big bad" in the sense that, as characters have pointed out from time to time, he's not got these absurd domination goals or anything. there is even a weird, archaic honor and logic to the way he behaves i think, offering himself as a measuring stick for all the others to throw themselves against.

the internal logic of the story doesn't even outright condemn him for being how he is. like what he offered ot both gojo and kashimo is explicitly positive, they are more actualized characters for having had the opportunity to engage with and fight against sukuna.

Well until this chapter at least. As Sukuna is going to merge everyone with Tengen so he can test himself against the monstrosity that will be created.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well until this chapter at least. As Sukuna is going to merge everyone with Tengen so he can test himself against the monstrosity that will be created.

maybe its nitpicky of me but i see a meaningful difference in his motivation vs kenjaku's. sukuna's theme of testing himself and rising to new heights feels (in-story) to be more "noble" than kenjaku's "i'm just kinda curious what will happen".

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
that’s cause the internal logic of the story is pro jujutsu and exalts those who are good at it. and everything about jujutsu culture is from the bygone heien era where the value of life was completely different from the modern era. both gojo and hajime were seeking warrior’s death which might be pretty cool and normal 500-1000 years ago but less so now. i don’t think you’ll see a condemnation from the story since it takes this perspective.

you can get a pretty good evaluation of his character and wrongdoings from yuji, since he has modern morals and values. He also shared a body with the dude so he’s got a pretty good read

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Curses do exist elsewhere they are just rarer. A lot of the special grades Kenjaku collected were from other countries.

We even got a big example with Miguel, who Gojo thought so highly of that he sent Yuta to get trained by him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

yum posted:

that’s cause the internal logic of the story is pro jujutsu and exalts those who are good at it.

I think the series where all the heroes that are big into the jujutsu die horribly and young filled with regrets and everyone repeatedly says "Yeah that's the only outcome of a sorcerer's life really. Also you have to be insane to want to do this and also even crazier to be good at it and that'll just lead you to dying in a weirder worse way probably" is entirely pro jujutusu.

Like we're actively watching an entire generation of people we're supposed to at least not hate if not outright like them and care for them just being slaughtered for no real reason besides some assholes going "This is the way things are" and enforcing it through their personal machinations and desires. It's not really pro-that.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
yeah, but at the same time we have the omniscient narrator declaring Sukuna as the ultimate chosen enlightened one and the sole ultimate truth knower. As well as all of these people making their pilgrimage to fight him and then thanking him for it. All of this due to his mastery of jujutsu, who he is supposedly the living embodiment of. that portrayal contrasts with everything else.

sukuna appears as a figure to aspire to or begrudgingly respect, rather than someone to be condemned. only yuji as a result of their history hates him as a person.

yum fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 23, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gege's on the record that his approach to character writing is giving everyone sound ideologies so his conflicts don't fall into simple clashes of good vs evil. Sukuna is supposed to be admirable in a way even if what he does is abominable to our modern sensibilities.

I do believe his final intent is condemning the jujutsu system, though - he just thinks it'd be uninteresting if every antagonist was evil because evil and good always prevails over evil.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

yum posted:

yeah, but at the same time we have the omniscient narrator declaring Sukuna as the ultimate chosen enlightened one and the sole ultimate truth knower. person.

And literally the entire cast is saying "This guy sucks rear end and we should kill him." The narrator calls Kars the ultimate lifeform and pinnacle of evolution in battle tendency, that doesn't mean he's treated by the story as anything other than the villain.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think Gege cares about the story, but the story he wants to tell is not the one you'd have preferred to read.

What is the story he currently wants to tell? I feel like I've just been watching this fight very slowly progress for a crazy amount of time now, and many interesting things ended up being rug-pulls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we've known for a long time that gege wanted a tragedy. and rug pulls are no stranger to this series either

it's just that some of the cheapest feeling have been during this fight

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

rkd_ posted:

What is the story he currently wants to tell? I feel like I've just been watching this fight very slowly progress for a crazy amount of time now, and many interesting things ended up being rug-pulls.

trick question because the answer to this would be after the series has finished

as an aside, and not about you, the readers who aren't enjoying the arc should maybe just take a break?? if you want to see how it ends you can blitz through in a couple months. if ya don't then you saved yourself the effort

I'm not try to police posting but some of ya'll sound like you are not vibing with what's going on at all

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

trick question because the answer to this would be after the series has finished

as an aside, and not about you, the readers who aren't enjoying the arc should maybe just take a break?? if you want to see how it ends you can blitz through in a couple months. if ya don't then you saved yourself the effort

I'm not try to police posting but some of ya'll sound like you are not vibing with what's going on at all

That's clearly not as fun as filling 3 pages with black bars about not understanding what's going on anymore when the shitscans come out.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The tragedy was Takaba and Kenjaku finding a meaningful connection but being unable to become friends due to other things going on in their lives.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

we've known for a long time that gege wanted a tragedy. and rug pulls are no stranger to this series either

it's just that some of the cheapest feeling have been during this fight

Yeah I don’t mind tragedy nor rug pulls, but I’m already on the floor, pulling the rug is just mostly annoying now rather than shocking.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's clearly not as fun as filling 3 pages with black bars about not understanding what's going on anymore when the shitscans come out.

You seem obsessed with the idea that people are misinterpreting the manga based on shitscans even though, so far, not a single time have TCB or the official scans changed the general understanding of the events. It's okay that you like the manga, but maybe you should take a vacation from the thread if other people disliking it bothers you so much.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 23, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
sometimes the official translation is less coherent than tcbscans lol

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

tcbscans also apparently just makes stuff up sometimes. The whole "Shokos RCT is fundamentally stuff" wasn't anywhere. Best solution is to read all the scans imo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

People pointing out Sukuna's character plus what I got from the manga (unbound by society's rules, detached from other people, constantly wishing to test himself, ungodly powerful, really likes food, having a sort of "nobility" to him despite all of the above) made me think...

...Is Sukuna Goku?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You seem obsessed with the idea that people are misinterpreting the manga based on shitscans even though, so far, not a single time have TCB or the official scans changed the general understanding of the events. It's okay that you like the manga, but maybe you should take a vacation from the thread if other people disliking it bothers you so much.

That impression of me might live rent free in your head, but I was just taking a jab at the signs of sunk-cost media consumption when I bother to go back and look through the CIA document.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

People pointing out Sukuna's character plus what I got from the manga (unbound by society's rules, detached from other people, constantly wishing to test himself, ungodly powerful, really likes food, having a sort of "nobility" to him despite all of the above) made me think...

...Is Sukuna Goku?

Say what you will about Goku, he actually has friends and a family while also being a fight junkie. Sukuna meanwhile has one servant and most likely died a virgin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

...Is Sukuna Goku?

I mean Goku is based on Wukong who achieves Buddhahood by the end

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't think giving all Japanese superpowers would make the world better but I'm not a blood & soil Japan stan so what do I know

The person you’re responding to was pretty clearly saying that it’s be funny if Sukuna changed the balance of power in the whole world, also the text and subtext of JJK in no way suggests that the merger is going to create a shitload of Japanese ubermench. It’s going to kill everyone in Japan!!!!

But hey you found the flimsiest context possible to drag someone for being a blood and soil nationalist so go off I guess. Really impressive. You truely put that guy in his place, lol.

You’re projecting hard, my man. Got the stars and bars hanging up in your room?

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 23, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

...Is Sukuna Goku?

sukuna is what happens when a shounen protagonist doesnt have friends

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Meme Emulator posted:

The person you’re responding to was pretty clearly saying that it’s be funny if Sukuna changed the balance of power in the whole world, also the text and subtext of JJK in no way suggests that the merger is going to create a shitload of Japanese ubermench. It’s going to kill everyone in Japan!!!!

But hey you found the flimsiest context possible to drag someone for being a blood and soil nationalist so go off I guess. Really impressive. You truely put that guy in his place, lol.

You’re projecting hard, my man. Got the stars and bars hanging up in your room?

That's an incredibly aggressive read to a joke I made in passing, but I suppose it's partly my fault for making it about empowering the Japanese over genociding them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's an incredibly aggressive read to a joke I made in passing, but I suppose it's partly my fault for making it about empowering the Japanese over genociding them.

That’s cool I guess. Just understand that if you ever called me a blood and soil nationalist as a joke I’d kick you in the loving stomach

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Meme Emulator posted:

That’s cool I guess. Just understand that if you ever called me a blood and soil nationalist as a joke I’d kick you in the loving stomach

The joke wasn't explicitly calling the poster such, but rather a reference to the real trend of Japanese jingoism (that is reflected in LN/manga/anime) over the past decade that is further blown out of proportion in terminally online spaces, and furthermore it didn't even involve you any fashion so what the gently caress dude

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I did think it was weird to call someone a racist nationalist for a joke that isn't even particularly gripeposting. People are legitimately wondering if we're heading for the Villain Wins ending so it would be ironic/funny if that wasn't even that bad*

*if you're not one of the main characters

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2024

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what are you guys doing

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Conspiratiorist posted:

The joke wasn't explicitly calling the poster such, but rather a reference to the real trend of Japanese jingoism (that is reflected in LN/manga/anime) over the past decade that is further blown out of proportion in terminally online spaces, and furthermore it didn't even involve you any fashion so what the gently caress dude

When you shrug your shoulders and say “I’m not X…” the implication is “and you are”. The man says Sukuna could take over the world and you immediately start talking about blood and soil?

Also I realize you weren’t talking to me that was just a way to say I don’t find your jokes cute

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Touch grass bro

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i would die in a thousand wars for gojo

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ok my bad I clearly misinterpreted this and I thought you were talkin poo poo about Pringle reamEgg

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I agree the merger killing all Japanese and it making the world a better place would be a comically adventurous way to end things otoh

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
sukuna kills everyone, completes the merger, cursed energy proliferates all across the world and suddenly the wiccans that hang out in Central Park become the most powerful group of people on earth

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

sukuna kills everyone, completes the merger, cursed energy proliferates all across the world and suddenly the wiccans that hang out in Central Park become the most powerful group of people on earth
Kinda makes me think of Shadowrun where once magic returns to the earth, the Native Americans carve out their own nation because their magic and spirits come back and they have the power to literally destroy the continent

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the actually funniest way for this to end is yeah barrier is going down and cursed energy proliferates then smash cut to End of Part 1

it would be the most glorious big brain move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

the actually funniest way for this to end is yeah barrier is going down and cursed energy proliferates then smash cut to End of Part 1

it would be the most glorious big brain move

Yuji in a school blazer "High School Arc Starts Part 2!" <-- i'd lol