Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Is it just me or does it seem like they are taking Onosato/Onosho more seriously than previous low ranking hot streaks? Feeding them to Kirishima/Kotonowaka Day 10 seems a little early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My boy Kotoeko :(

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like they are taking Onosato/Onosho more seriously than previous low ranking hot streaks? Feeding them to Kirishima/Kotonowaka Day 10 seems a little early.

It's usually on day 10 that they start fighting the upper rankers.

drat Kotonowaka really made Daieisho look toothless there...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Finally got Ura doing Ura things and Shodai being Shodai.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Kirishima almost got Shodai'd out of Yokozuna, lmao

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Log082 posted:

Kirishima almost got Shodai'd out of Yokozuna, lmao

I mean he might as well be. Still hasn't faced other Ozekis or Terunofuji yet. 12-3 last basho, 7-2 this basho and he'll need at least a 12-3 to get it I'd say

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Average Lettuce posted:

It's usually on day 10 that they start fighting the upper rankers.

drat Kotonowaka really made Daieisho look toothless there...

Just checked some previous dudes and it looks like Day 11 was when they made dudes move up. 8-1 Ichiyamamoto got M11 Hiradoumi Day 10 and Daieisho Day 11 last time. Atamifuji didn't get Sanyaku until Day 12 and 11 in the previous 2 tourneys.

Also the other big difference looks like Ichiyamamoto got a 7-4 Daiesho and Atamifuji got 8-4 Hoshoryu and 5-6 Tobizaru as their first sanyaku as 1/2 loss lower M. So it's not just getting moved up, it's getting moved up and getting the dudes on a Yoko/Ozeki run and in the yusho race themselves rather than getting like Daieisho or Wakamotoharu to play gatekeeper before using the big guns.

But I guess with the withdrawals and Ura and most of the upper M ranks having a rough go, there's not many options. Atamifuji is having a better than expected tourney, but he's not really at the point of his career where they can trust him to go take care of the upstarts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chinook posted:

I would like to keep Asanoyama.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I also would like to request no auto-trade on Asanoyama

Both noted. I will break from my stance of inveterate trading and also hold Asanoyama.

As a results, the Day 10 trades for Asanoyama-holders is as follows:

code:
FART BOSS		Kinbozan
Helianthus Annuus	Kinbozan
MalarkeyToboggan	Mitakeumi
Nativity In Black	Mitakeumi
OneSizeFitsAll		Ichiyamamoto
Pakled			Meisei
Rags to Liches		Mitakeumi
ratmosphere		Tamawashi
Samuel L. Hacksaw	Tamawashi
Takuan			Kinbozan
Thauros			Ichiyamamoto
ullerrm			Tamawashi
Day 9 standings

Makuuchi
code:
37	Thauros
37	Vargatron
34	anakha
34	pseudodragon
34	Saturnine Aberrance
33.5	Kenning
33	bessantj
33	Khizan
32	Iron Chef Nex
32	MalarkeyToboggan
32	NuclearPotato
32	Teddybear
31	Average Lettuce
31	Ben Nerevarine
31	Chinook
31	MyChemicalImbalance
31	Pakled
30	Lid
29	Fearless
29	Jobbo_Fett
29	whats for dinner
28.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
28.5	Helianthus Annuus
28	Marching Powder
27.5	Banana Canada
26.5	ullerrm
26	Ice Phisherman
26	Robviously
25	Brut
25	captainblastum
24	Communist Thoughts
24	Netsky
23.5	Tiny Bug Child
23	Crusty Nutsack
20.5	NTRabbit
18.5	Fluffdaddy
17.5	bartolimu
15	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
37	Nativity In Black
37	Samuel L. Hacksaw
36	FART BOSS
35	Kennedy
34	Liquid Communism
34	OneSizeFitsAll
34	Winter Stormer
33	Flinger
32	Boogalo
31	Dead Goon
30	ratmosphere
28.5	Kerrzhe
28	Takuan
26	ImplicitAssembler
24	Greekonomics
24	Nick Soapdish
24	PJ
24	Taffy Torpedo
23	rare Magic card l00k
22	Bentai
22	Rags to Liches
21	Eldoop
21	Kuros
20	Beexoffel
20	KungFu Grip
20	Single Tight Female
15.5	CodFishBalls
13.5	Medenmath
10.5	StupidSexyMothman
Kotonowaka yusho!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, I think I should be on 35 points since Onosho got his KK yesterday and my stable picked up 3 wins. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kirishima-Onosho was easily match of the day.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Though it's tempting to just take Kinbozan, hinkaku dictates that I live with the decision I made on day 9. Kenning, if you would, please undo the auto-trade and give me Asanoyama again.

FART BOSS posted:

Yeah, I’m sticking with Asanoyama too. Hes the sort who will make a surprise comeback if at all possible.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Kenning posted:

code:
FART BOSS		Kinbozan
Helianthus Annuus	Kinbozan
MalarkeyToboggan	Mitakeumi
Nativity In Black	Mitakeumi
OneSizeFitsAll		Ichiyamamoto
Pakled			Meisei
Rags to Liches		Mitakeumi
ratmosphere		Tamawashi
Samuel L. Hacksaw	Tamawashi
Takuan			Kinbozan
Thauros			Ichiyamamoto
ullerrm			Tamawashi

oof. Mitakeumi is not having a good tournament. Hopefully he can pull out some wins in the last few days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ryuden v Abi: Rooting for the unlikely set of circumstances which lead up to both rikishi losing.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Why hasn't everyone been doing this to Onosato?

In all seriousness, Kotonowaka basically gave Onosato the Onosato treatment. Kotonowaka really does look looser to take this one. Just hope he doesn't choke it away.

I appreciated the Tamawashi/Atamifuji sumo helicopter.

Kinbozan ranked at M6 with a 5-4 record going up against Terunofuji is certainly a choice. Almost like they wanted to make sure the Yokozuna got a KK before he takes on the sanyaku.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

No one has the size and strength to do it, I guess, even more so in the lower ranks.

Kinbozan ranked at M6 with a 5-4 record going up against Terunofuji is certainly a choice. Almost like they wanted to make sure the Yokozuna got a KK before he takes on the sanyaku.

I was wondering this myself. Truth be told, the upper maegashira ranks aren't doing very well, and they want to have Terunofuji, Kirishima, Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka (plus Onosho and Onosato) all to fight each other in the last days. The same can be said of Kotonowaka for tomorrow, facing Oho. I guess in the last 3 days he will fight Terunofuji, Kirishima and Hoshoryu.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The sekiwake and ozeki are being saved for the final days of the basho, and all the higher ranked people than Kinbozan are kyujo, have worse records, or he’s already fought them.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ura :smith:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Hi Kenning - finally got around to inputting all the trades and checking your Day 9 against my tracker. Some differences you might want to check and my guesses as to the cause.

code:
Yours				Mine	Difference	Reason?
34	anakha			35	1		Missing Onosho's KK
31	Average Lettuce		32	1		Missing Onosho's KK
28.5	Helianthus Annuus	27.5	-1		Missing penalty for 3rd trade
26.5	ullerrm			26	-0.5		Either missing penalty for 2nd trade or missing Aoiyama's MK (probably the former?)
24	Communist Thoughts	23.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
37	Samuel L. Hacksaw	37.5	0.5		Missing Onosho's KK and missing penalty for 2nd trade
34	OneSizeFitsAll		33.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
24	PJ			25	1		Missing Onosho's KK
23	rare Magic card l00k	24	1		Missing Onosho's KK
22	Bentai			23	1		Missing Onosho's KK
22	Rags to Liches		21.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
10.5	StupidSexyMothman	13	2.5		Hoshoryu's post-trade wins are not counted? And either missing penalty for 2nd trade or missing Shonannoumi's KK (the former?)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Onosato hit his first wall in Kotonowaka. Just looked helpless in there. Time to see how well he can adapt, and learn from losses.

Tamawashi / Atamifuji SPIN2WIN

Terunofuji Sometimes you just wanna throw a guy, y'know?

Ura :smith:

SHODAI Showed some effort, but not quite enough. Just Shodai things

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Tamawashi vs Atamifuji

https://i.imgur.com/NCbTIcy.mp4

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

They gave him 5-4 Nishikigi (M5) the day before. I'm sure there are various circumstances that explain it but dang

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

In all seriousness, Kotonowaka basically gave Onosato the Onosato treatment. Kotonowaka really does look looser to take this one. Just hope he doesn't choke it away.

Being able to absorb his charge physically is pretty rare. Onosato absolutely blew up Takarafuji who uses the same general defensive sumo approach (stop/absorb the charge, counterattack) because he was just so much stronger and more explosive. https://twitter.com/HelenePastore/status/1748290685252346212 As the English commentators noted last night, Onosato's technique was also a little all over the place thanks to some sneaky work by Kotonowaka - he deflected the initial charge from center of mass and got inside such that Onosato couldn't reposition his hands to push.

I do actually worry that seeing so much success with purely defensive sumo the last two days will cause Kotonowaka to repeat what happened last basho - he got too passive near the end as he went up against tougher opposition and allowed them to fully set the pace, which opens him up to getting outskilled.

As far as scheduling goes, they also look at relative strength of performance in addition to record, which is why you see Oho getting tough matches despite a 6-4 record since he's looked stellar this tournament and all his losses have been close.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Missing a few days of daily tracking because those days wouldn't have been accurate without the trade confirmations and it would take a lot of effort now to go back and patch the data and recalc the results for each of those past days. So I'm jumping ahead to the results for Day 10 which assumes I've diagnosed the above issues correctly. If I didn't, I'll edit this later with remediated results after Kenning replies.

Day 10:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beeswax posted:

They gave him 5-4 Nishikigi (M5) the day before. I'm sure there are various circumstances that explain it but dang

By this point in the basho, Nishikigi was the highest ranked maegashira with a positive record that he hadn't already fought, which makes him a pretty reasonable choice since they tend to save the sanyaku/yokozuna matches for the final days of the basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

By this point in the basho, Nishikigi was the highest ranked maegashira with a positive record that he hadn't already fought, which makes him a pretty reasonable choice since they tend to save the sanyaku/yokozuna matches for the final days of the basho.

Looks like they can do a Teru/Kiri/Hoshoryu/Koto round robin on Days 13-15

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

Don't give me that runaround

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Rooting for Kirishima because I want another yokozuna

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Despite the hurricane of kyujo we're seeing some excellent sumo this basho, and I'm delighted by it.

Banana Canada posted:

Hi Kenning - finally got around to inputting all the trades and checking your Day 9 against my tracker. Some differences you might want to check and my guesses as to the cause.

code:
Yours				Mine	Difference	Reason?
34	anakha			35	1		Missing Onosho's KK
31	Average Lettuce		32	1		Missing Onosho's KK
28.5	Helianthus Annuus	27.5	-1		Missing penalty for 3rd trade
26.5	ullerrm			26	-0.5		Either missing penalty for 2nd trade or missing Aoiyama's MK (probably the former?)
24	Communist Thoughts	23.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
37	Samuel L. Hacksaw	37.5	0.5		Missing Onosho's KK and missing penalty for 2nd trade
34	OneSizeFitsAll		33.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
24	PJ			25	1		Missing Onosho's KK
23	rare Magic card l00k	24	1		Missing Onosho's KK
22	Bentai			23	1		Missing Onosho's KK
22	Rags to Liches		21.5	-0.5		Missing penalty for 2nd trade
10.5	StupidSexyMothman	13	2.5		Hoshoryu's post-trade wins are not counted? And either missing penalty for 2nd trade or missing Shonannoumi's KK (the former?)

I had definitely missed the KKs and MKs you mentioned, which have been since added. The trade penalties hadn't been applied yet since those were live on Day 10, but should be active by now. Thanks for keeping a separate record, it's helpful.

Day 10 standings

Makuuchi
code:
41.5	Vargatron
41	Thauros
39	anakha
39	Saturnine Aberrance
38.5	Kenning
37	bessantj
37	Khizan
37	MalarkeyToboggan
37	pseudodragon
36	Iron Chef Nex
36	Teddybear
35	Average Lettuce
35	Ben Nerevarine
35	Chinook
35	NuclearPotato
35	Pakled
34	MyChemicalImbalance
33	Jobbo_Fett
33	Lid
32	Marching Powder
32	ullerrm
32	whats for dinner
31.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
31	Robviously
30.5	Fearless
30	captainblastum
30	Helianthus Annuus
30	Ice Phisherman
29.5	Banana Canada
28	Netsky
28	Tiny Bug Child
27.5	Brut
25.5	Crusty Nutsack
25	Communist Thoughts
24.5	NTRabbit
21	Fluffdaddy
19	bartolimu
17	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
42	Samuel L. Hacksaw
41	Nativity In Black
40	Kennedy
39	FART BOSS
39	Winter Stormer
38.5	OneSizeFitsAll
37	Flinger
37	Liquid Communism
36	Boogalo
34	Dead Goon
34	ratmosphere
31.5	Kerrzhe
30.5	Takuan
29	Nick Soapdish
29	Taffy Torpedo
28.5	ImplicitAssembler
27.5	PJ
27	rare Magic card l00k
26.5	Bentai
26	Greekonomics
24	Rags to Liches
23.5	Beexoffel
23.5	Eldoop
23.5	Kuros
22.5	KungFu Grip
21.5	Single Tight Female
18	CodFishBalls
17	Medenmath
10	StupidSexyMothman

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

:sigh: I honestly thought the biggest risk in my stable was going to be Kinbozan but Gonoyama is having an absolutely miserable time up in the joi. I'm really enjoying Hoshoryu and Kirishima's sumo right now; they've got different but extremely technical styles with just enough of a gap that every match is exciting. Kirishima getting his rope would be amazing but honestly I'd be thrilled with any of the current contenders taking the title - all of them are looking great right now. Even Terunofuji looks insanely dominant for a man held together with tape and hinkaku.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kenning posted:

Despite the hurricane of kyujo we're seeing some excellent sumo this basho, and I'm delighted by it.

Juryo
code:
42	Samuel L. Hacksaw
41	Nativity In Black
40	Kennedy

:yeah: I think I've punched my ticket into makuuchi, let's see what happens in the back third!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Seeing the Takanosho/Kotonosho match as the Makuuchi curtain jerker was kind of sad. There was a time where people probably thought that would have been a prime sanyaku matchup. 2020 ended with 25 year old Takanosho having a successful Sekiwake debut and a 20 year old Kotoshoho having a good tourney at M5 to start 2021 in the joi. Kotoshoho was even ranked higher than stablemate Kotonowaka who was bouncing around the lower Makuuchi/Juryo.

Unfortunately for Koto, injuries knocked him all the way back into Juryo and he hasn't been able to regain his old form and Taka's had some injury issues too.

A good tourney for both of them is a good sign though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenning posted:

Day 10 standings

Makuuchi
code:

19	bartolimu
17	Xerzes

...I'm not sure how you're managing to stay below my score, Xerzes, but I salute your incredible determination.

Day 11 watchthoughts:

Glad to see Takanosho arresting his fall. He's not my favorite, but he's definitely better than his current rank. So is Kotoshoho, and I expect he'll get KK in the next day or two.

Poor Endo. I don't know what his injury is, but I wish he'd just take six months off to heal and come back from Makushita or whatever. This is just sad.

Kinbozan with one of the better yeets of the basho. I think maybe that face slap annoyed him a little.

Eat poo poo, Ryuden.

Tobizaru with the Extreme Salt Assassination. Matches between these two don't last long but they're always entertaining.

Shodai.

No, but really, that was an excellent bout and hopefully a confidence builder for Atamifuji. That kind of tightrope walk is scary and impressive every time.

Ozekinowaka anyone? I'd bet that won't be his last win this basho. Kid's got it.

Kirishima's road to Yokozuna is a lot more difficult given how many guys share his record. But he didn't do himself any harm today.

Onosato should get an Outstanding Performance prize, but pretty sure he's out of contention for the basho. Hopefully he can come back next time, still without a topknot, and pull off a win.

Terunofuji starting to come around on the Hakuho "Yokozuna sumo is winning sumo" pholisophy.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

code:
Yours	Goonzeki		Mine	Difference

33	Jobbo_Fett		32.5	-0.5
30	captainblastum		29.5	-0.5
30	Ice Phisherman		29.5	-0.5
29.5	Banana Canada		29	-0.5
28	Netsky			27.5	-0.5
25	Communist Thoughts	24.5	-0.5
21	Fluffdaddy		20	-1
17	Xerzes			16.5	-0.5
29	Taffy Torpedo		28.5	-0.5
24	Rags to Liches		23.5	-0.5
23.5	Beexoffel		23	-0.5
23.5	Eldoop			23	-0.5
10	StupidSexyMothman	14.5	4.5
Harder to diagnose the differences this time for Day 10 but I think most are due to missing the MK on Day 10 for Takakeisho or Takayasu? And perhaps both for Fluffdaddy?

Also, StupidSexyMothman is still quite a bit off what I'm tracking and I think it may be due to not counting Hoshoryu's wins along with a missing MK?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Day 11:

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 25, 2024

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

bartolimu posted:

Terunofuji starting to come around on the Hakuho "Yokozuna sumo is winning sumo" pholisophy.
Hakuho's reaction was glorious:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Bentai posted:

Hakuho's reaction was glorious:

Amazing

It's hard to read much into Terunofuji's expressions but he looked kinda amused that Onosho just gave him the arm drag like that. "You're not gonna pull it out? Alright, then..."

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

bartolimu posted:

...I'm not sure how you're managing to stay below my score, Xerzes, but I salute your incredible determination.

When it comes to disappointing, I never disappoint.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It's really nice that the top rank guys are all doing well. It feels like forever since we've had that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

An accurate comparison of the Kaiju vs Monkey fight.