Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

I was just thinking that I was pretty meh on Kagurabachi but I assumed it was a popular series because it has a lot of eyes on Mangaplus. Maybe not.

It was a meme on twitter for a little while, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh hey, I forgot to read Blue Box!

Shinji2015 posted:

Blue Box: oh no :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if hinomaru no sumo got a real ending, I believe in mma to do the same

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
MMA: was cool as usual. The rankings though give me little faith in its survival. Still though, the setup is such that I have good faith that the author can land a finish should he need to. So let’s enjoy the ride no matter how long it takes.

Kagurabachi: I have no idea what’s happening, but at least it looks cool. I’m assume the battle is already over and they’re just having armless tea at the end.
I still like the imagery of the fish on his magic sword. It just feels so fun dumb to have a guy running around with a fish sword when everyone else is using ice and lightning.

Sakamoto: contrast Sakamoto choreography with Kagurabachi. In Sakamoto I know exactly what’s happening. Very cool ending that fits perfectly. Though I assume Gaku is going to pull something to survive, he doesn’t feel like the guy who would die now. More like he’s just going to be patched up again, same as his ear.

Undead: somewhat related I guess. Watching the anime of the earlier chapters only reminds me how much I dislike Andy. So a chapter like this just gets a big shrug from me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kagurabachi: I'm pretty sure the tea thing is just shorthand for how they're communicating through their blades. They're understanding each other and arguing as they fight and this is depicted with the tea party scene.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dawgstar posted:

Oh hey, I forgot to read Blue Box!

Yeah I legit gasped while reading the chapter. I wanted drama but not like this.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I legit gasped while reading the chapter. I wanted drama but not like this.

Yeah, that bummed me out. Such a heartbreaker :(

Dark Doctor Ikuru: finale is next week, and while I get the mangaka was sick, I honestly think that all of these ex chapters they put out while recovering did more to kill the manga than anything. I think people just stared tuning it out and so that by the time they started putting out new chapters, people just didn't care anymore.

Daddy and Buddy: I do appreciate that the MC's family hasn't been forgotten about, but also pointing out that grumble bugs can be defeated by therapy makes the hero organization seem a little less useful

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kagurabachi essentially being about him fighting all the different people who have the swords and examining what they feel the purpose of the weapons are is a cool idea.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My big issue with Kagurabuchi is that I am a huge dumb dumb and don't really understand the sword powers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nue's Exorcist being mildly popular is baffling to me because the only thing it has going for it are the monster designs and landing a joke every few issues. The art is not good. The characters are not very interesting, nor distinctive enough to tell apart in personality or visual design besides Nue and the MC.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's lowest common denominator comic gruel that could be, and has been, executed in the exact same way, if not better, elsewhere.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
It's also the only horny manga running in Jump at the moment, unless I'm forgetting about any others

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mamayuyu is going the harem route. Or was if not for its imminent cancellation.

But so far really Nue's most has been as much as Ayatris least. In a time long past this would be about normal for any battle shounen with more than a few female characters.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 23, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

It's also the only horny manga running in Jump at the moment, unless I'm forgetting about any others

One Piece is somewhat horny, with those “three circles, one x” female character designs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sure but we're... well, I'm not quite sure "missing" is the right word... but things are a tad boring without a full on Smut-Shonen in the pages.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 23, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sure but we're... well, I'm not quite sure "missing" is the right word... but things are a tad boring without a full on Smut-Shonen in the pages.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's lowest common denominator comic gruel that could be, and has been, executed in the exact same way, if not better, elsewhere.

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Imuri's demon angst aside. I just hope that Dante can help the priest course correct on how to approach his growing humanity.

Heart Gear: Speaking of Humanity, I love it when sophisticated AI constructs can't quite grasp that the only difference between true human minds and theirs is what the brain is made of at that point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

panko posted:

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix
you're telling me to read Aiki AGAIN?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read through Dorohedoro and I have to say I found it just kind of unpleasant. It spends what feels like an uncommon amount of time inflicting violence on female characters in ways that happen to expose their breasts wherever possible in a way that reminded me of a gorier Dominic Deegan. The worldsetting/story was okay but felt like it was looping back over itself a bit too often with reveals that had already been made on several occasions and it suffered pretty hard from trying to get me to feel anything but utmost loathing for characters who spend their free time brutally torturing innocent people (to the point where the end of the series had to go out of its way to emphasize the non-abhorrent ones never actually did that at any point .)

I couldn't really get past the first part though so I may be more sour on the plot/characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like nue's just one of those series where enough people arbitrarily decided to keep going from week to week that now they're invested

like with a lot of mediocre series, people get bored or even just plain forget to continue for long enough that it's not worth catching up anymore. but sometimes you just happen to get a lot of people that stick around and that's when a nue situation occurs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I read through Dorohedoro and I have to say I found it just kind of unpleasant. It spends what feels like an uncommon amount of time inflicting violence on female characters in ways that happen to expose their breasts wherever possible in a way that reminded me of a gorier Dominic Deegan. The worldsetting/story was okay but felt like it was looping back over itself a bit too often with reveals that had already been made on several occasions and it suffered pretty hard from trying to get me to feel anything but utmost loathing for characters who spend their free time brutally torturing innocent people (to the point where the end of the series had to go out of its way to emphasize the non-abhorrent ones never actually did that at any point .)

I couldn't really get past the first part though so I may be more sour on the plot/characters.

Q Hyashida loves two things, horrific violence and giant honking bazonkas.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i liked the complete inane back and forth meandering in dorohedoro because it made it feel real whimsical and almost classic fairy tale-ish

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Why can't these Japanese teens just be horny for women in combat sports?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

i liked the complete inane back and forth meandering in dorohedoro because it made it feel real whimsical and almost classic fairy tale-ish

I'm not a fan of the meandering because it really bogs down the story. There are generally good character moments tucked within but it often amounts to a lot of people dying, reviving, or running around since death is more fast and loose in Dorohedoro. It's a series I struggle to re-read because the longer it goes on the less interested I am in the chapter to chapter struggles.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yeah, and also the hyper-violence feels like it's supposed to be characteristic of the utterly bizarre world/setting in which the story takes place.

It wouldn't be the same without that stuff, and I feel like some people just fundamentally don't "get" what it's going for.

edit: The way I'd put it is that "someone personally not liking the hyper-violence" is completely understandable, but "someone thinking the hyper-violence is a problem with the series" is just objectively wrong

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My issue with the world building is that while we know other places than where the series starts exists we're not really shown them because its not part of the story. The magic users world though feels incredibly small. Like En rules it but it feels the size of a city essentially rather than a full world. I haven't actually finished the series because it wasn't finished when I read it but I was certainly feeling near the end so maybe that was intentional. I should probably just reread the whole thing as I really liked it otherwise

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

My issue with the world building is that while we know other places than where the series starts exists we're not really shown them because its not part of the story. The magic users world though feels incredibly small. Like En rules it but it feels the size of a city essentially rather than a full world. I haven't actually finished the series because it wasn't finished when I read it but I was certainly feeling near the end so maybe that was intentional. I should probably just reread the whole thing as I really liked it otherwise

That's the thing, it's not supposed to be some realistic setting. It's almost akin to reading some bizarre fairy tale.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are two whole worlds but all the story focuses on the nexus point on each side. they go a bit further out from the two cities a few times.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I don’t really care for worldbuilding thats like btw this world is improbably more vast than you ever imagined with monsters far beyond your comprehension or power level (toriko, hxh) because I’m conditioned to associate it with padding and powercreep but I did like in claymore when that’s alluded to but then the story just ends neatly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in claymore there's a whole world out there with an epic endless war on a scale unimaginable to any of the cast. they also don't really give a poo poo about any of that, because why would they?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The world of the Dorohedoro is supposed to be weird and hosed up because it is ruled by an actively cruel and capricious god who is an active participant in the story.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SpacePig posted:

Why can't these Japanese teens just be horny for women in combat sports?
Hmmm...

You might be on to something.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

has anyone read Soukyuu no Ariadne by the Claymore mangaka? I really liked Claymore and I feel like I attempted that series when it was relatively new but never followed it and I can't remember what my impression of it was, but it ended pretty recently

MMA getting cancelled would suck, I hope it manages to survive. It's got great potential to be a good punchman manga

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tosk posted:

has anyone read Soukyuu no Ariadne by the Claymore mangaka? I really liked Claymore and I feel like I attempted that series when it was relatively new but never followed it and I can't remember what my impression of it was, but it ended pretty recently

MMA getting cancelled would suck, I hope it manages to survive. It's got great potential to be a good punchman manga

yeah. it's okay. it was overall more coherent than claymore, but it just never really grabbed me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The world of the Dorohedoro is supposed to be weird and hosed up because it is ruled by an actively cruel and capricious god who is an active participant in the story.

He's a vengeful and petty dick and we love him. All hail Chidaruma!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in claymore there's a whole world out there with an epic endless war on a scale unimaginable to any of the cast. they also don't really give a poo poo about any of that, because why would they?

Because it would be a lot harder to draw.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Hmmm...

You might be on to something.

I was honestly kind of bummed that series ended when it did. It was clearly setting a lot of things up when it got it in the neck.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

I was honestly kind of bummed that series ended when it did. It was clearly setting a lot of things up when it got it in the neck.

Reminds me of Hanakaku The Last Girl Standing which abruptly ended after introducing a bunch of potential rivals and whatnot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Reminds me of Hanakaku The Last Girl Standing which abruptly ended after introducing a bunch of potential rivals and whatnot.

Exactly the same deal for Saotome Senshu. It was okay, too. No Teppu, but what is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tosk posted:

I liked Claymore a lot more. It probably didn't help that there was also a huge gap where nobody translated it but when time travel become a big part of Ariadne's plot it became completely incomprehensible.