Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay, it's back up for the people who want it. Pay no attention to the edit times, since time no longer exists.

I thought it had started again?! Make up your mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lines posted:

I thought it had started again?! Make up your mind!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

He's so cute. Just wanna scritch his little Primarch head.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

They've apparently cancelled 400 odd orders from the scalpers in the UK.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ok, some actual discussions:

Arc Hammer posted:

When Valdor's spear connects with Abby he sees the next ten thousand years of bloodshed and freaks the hell out, dropping his blade and continuing to fight barehanded until gravity flips and Valdor and the other Custodes are tossed into the sky.

Does Valdor's vision get referenced ever again, in a way that may offer some clues as to what he's up to in the Bequin books?

quote:

Olly and Grammaticus receive coordinates from Actae and make a final cut in the materia using the Athame dagger, now fixed since their encounter with Emps. Actae falls through another warp gate from her hiding place in the Inevitable City and is picked up by Agathe and Phikes from the 403rd. They're currently holed up in a blackstone prison. Actae realizes she has merged with Katt and assumes Katt's full name Katerina Moriana. She realizes that with the laws of the warp no longer operating properly, the psychic dampening properties of blackstone can be reversed, and she uses the prison walls as a resonator to get a message out calling for all surviving loyalists to stand and fight.

The - sigh - Argonauts' adventures sound like they keep having some big rear end-pullin' energy, warp or no warp.

quote:

Either way, Horus wins with the stronger deck and catches Emps as he's trying to break down the Silver Door, crushing him and winning. The Emperor dies. [..] Horus drags Emps to an empty throne seat, planning to let Emps live at his side and gently caress the Dark Gods.

So this first 'death' is basically the most telegraphed fake-out ever, since even Horus thinks he's still alive? But more importantly, the idea that Horus wanted to betray the Four and team-up with Emps somehow seems to be one of the biggest new additions to the lore. The concept that Horus was a puppet of the Dark Gods had been reiterated many, many times; even if his insanity had been revealed as a trick, his pawn-ness wasn't.

quote:

Horus stands over the body of the Emperor, finally dead, and Loken openly weeps, explaining that the Emperor was stronger than Horus for not giving into the infinite power that Horus now is. Only it's not Loken, or not the real Loken. The light of the Astronomican infuses an Aspect of the Emperor in the shape of Loken. By appealing to the man still inside what Horus Is, Horus is weakened for an instant, and that is all that the Light of the Emperor needs to plunge the Athame Dagger into his son, killing him. And then the galaxy dies.

This actually sounds like a really good resolution to the duel. Also sneaks in the nod to the Horus Rising incipit in a not-too-forced way.

quote:

Battlefleet Solar and Guilliman's Liberation Fleet get a short mention but they just tear into the traitors as reality reasserts itself. The Warp is absolutely hosed by the sudden recession with entire regions of it being obliterated by their violent untangling from the material plane. The madness of the Blood Angels recedes, leaving only carnage in their wake. Maximus Thane leads a 1000-strong scratch company in chasing down the traitors, and the records argue that if even a third more loyalists had survived, the Scouring would have ended there in the Solar System, completely and utterly destroying the traitor legions.

It's not clear, why weren't Guilliman's forces sufficient to conduct this hypothetical Solar System Scouring? If they are 'tearing into the traitors' I am assuming they have already reached realspace.

quote:

Aboard the Vengeful Spirit, Dorn and Valdor discuss what to do with Emps. Dorn retrieves Ferrus's skull from Horus's trophy room. Raldoron and his Blood Angels take Sanguinius with them. Dorn discovers Leetu's interest in Tarot and follows the remaining cards, interpreting them to mean placing Emps upon the throne in a hopes of saving him. [..] Malcador's body is gone. Malcador's spirit is burned away. But the remainder of him, his memory within other people, stays long enough on the Golden Throne to see his friend returned at last. He has final parting thoughts for Dorn to hope he one day realizes that plans always change, and the outcomes are not set in stone, but that we constantly strive for better plans and make do with the results we achieve.

So does the Emperor's enthronement appear in the book, or does the book end with Emps still being carried by Dorn? Does Emps do or say anything at all from page 401?

quote:

mon oversees the scuttling of the Sigilite's retreat. Fo's bioweapon is to be stored on Titan.

Well I guess we know now what the Terminus Decree is.

quote:

Grammaticus appears back in prehistoric Spain, leaving a knot to for them to follow back across time in a cave in the Pyrenees.

Lol. Sounds like dude gets the closest anyone will ever get to a happy ending - he gets to repeat 30,000 years of pre-Imperium human life forever, and never have his soul end up in the Warp or have to meet an indubitably bad ending in 40k or later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spoiler discussion for Book 3, just so we're clear.

NihilCredo posted:

Does Valdor's vision get referenced ever again, in a way that may offer some clues as to what he's up to in the Bequin books?

It doesn't really get expanded on further but Valdor is clearly haunted by what he sees to the point it makes him question what his spear showed him from prior kills.

quote:

So this first 'death' is basically the most telegraphed fake-out ever, since even Horus thinks he's still alive? But more importantly, the idea that Horus wanted to betray the Four and team-up with Emps somehow seems to be one of the biggest new additions to the lore. The concept that Horus was a puppet of the Dark Gods had been reiterated many, many times; even if his insanity had been revealed as a trick, his pawn-ness wasn't.

Yeah, the Neverborn and the Dark Gods are pissed because this wasn't part of the deal. Horus says gently caress'em, he's making his own future where he convinces everyone, Emperor included, that his way is right, and nobody else.

quote:

It's not clear, why weren't Guilliman's forces sufficient to conduct this hypothetical Solar System Scouring? If they are 'tearing into the traitors' I am assuming they have already reached realspace.

At the start of the book Guilliman states he has about 3200 warships and he wonders if it will be anywhere near enough. Battlefleet Solar's remaining numbers aren't mentioned, but The Phalanx is still operational. The traitor fleet over Terra is stated to contain over 40,000 warships, so even in a disordered retreat they've got a massive numerical advantage.

quote:

So does the Emperor's enthronement appear in the book, or does the book end with Emps still being carried by Dorn? Does Emps do or say anything at all from page 401?

The enthronement isn't directly shown, but it is inferred through Malcador's final words, watching the events and reflecting on them as his watch on the Throne ends and the Emperor's begins.

Aside from moments where Emps speaks through Caecaltus Dusk (and even that one is up for interpretation if it's Emps or just Dusk's Custodes programming) the Emperor doesn't say a word after the duel begins in the first third of the book and the last time we hear him speak is through the Aspect in the shape of Loken after the re-lighting of the Astronomican.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 22, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Annnnnd I assumed those spoilers were for book 2 since book 3 isnt out yet.

mother ffff

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Thanks for the write-up, it's interesting to think about how it was portrayed.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Lol. Sounds like dude gets the closest anyone will ever get to a happy ending - he gets to repeat 30,000 years of pre-Imperium human life forever, and never have his soul end up in the Warp or have to meet an indubitably bad ending in 40k or later.

Someone is going to have to make a timeline for this guy and every appearance he has because I'm entirely losing track.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Philthy posted:

Annnnnd I assumed those spoilers were for book 2 since book 3 isnt out yet.

mother ffff

Yeah checking out of here until the book is actually out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is actually out, it's just not in your hands (or a lot of scalpers hands anymore either).

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Arc Hammer posted:

It is actually out, it's just not in your hands (or a lot of scalpers hands anymore either).

Ok bitch you don’t have to rub people’s noses in it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

so I've not read my Warhammer book yet, will do at some point this year, but as an outsider looking in, this entire franchise appears to be just printing money. Fair to say?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

0konner posted:

Ok bitch you don’t have to rub people’s noses in it.

That's fair. Apologies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

so I've not read my Warhammer book yet, will do at some point this year, but as an outsider looking in, this entire franchise appears to be just printing money. Fair to say?

I think it's a bit hard to say. They've had major issues with warehouse organization and stock recently that definitely are impacting the bottom line, but GW in general is the most successful wargames miniature publisher. To be fair though thats still really just a niche in the wider world of gaming, which absolutely swallows and drowns their entire financial output.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's a bit hard to say. They've had major issues with warehouse organization and stock recently that definitely are impacting the bottom line, but GW in general is the most successful wargames miniature publisher. To be fair though thats still really just a niche in the wider world of gaming, which absolutely swallows and drowns their entire financial output.

They may not be as niche for too long if everything goes to plan. Between Spacemarine 2, Cavill’s Amazon show, and the rumored call of duty crossover, that’s not niche stuff. Not AS niche anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They had a World of Tanks crossover as well with Russ and Predator Tanks. That's not nothing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

and the rumored call of duty crossover

Oh (dark) gods. If that turns out to be true that's a shitstorm in the making where the worst of the 40k community butts heads with CoD fanboys suddenly interested in the hobby.

Arc Hammer posted:

They had a World of Tanks crossover as well with Russ and Predator Tanks. That's not nothing.

And a World of Warships one.

But then the WoT devs are definitely all in on the weirdest crossovers possible.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

End 3, do not click!!!

Lilean Chase was at the Siege, hell yeah Abnett

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Sabaton album about the Siege of Terra when?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arc Hammer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vZBDQpB.mp4

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Sabaton album about the Siege of Terra when?

In the heart of holy Sol
In the home of Humanity
The seat of power is in danger
There's a foe of a billion swords
They're led by their traitor lords
Their fall from grace will pave their path, to damnation

Then the astartes,
In the service of Imperium
They're protecting the holy line
It was M30.7nd
Gave their lives on the steps to heaven
Thy will be done!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh (dark) gods. If that turns out to be true that's a shitstorm in the making where the worst of the 40k community butts heads with CoD fanboys suddenly interested in the hobby.

And a World of Warships one.

But then the WoT devs are definitely all in on the weirdest crossovers possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI1o3u-wxc

Just tossing this out because it talks about that particular crossovers.

So, in the past two weeks I read the Night Lords omnibus and the Gotrek and Felix:Kinslayer

Night Lords was decent. I'm not gonna say it's the best but it certainly wasn't "Warrior Coven"

Gotrek and Felix was great fun. Makes me wish that GW hadn't started pushing out licensed stuff for Fantasy AFTER they killed the world.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Games Workshop was the single best performing stock in the UK in the previous decade from 2010-2020. Black Library actually doesn't make all that much but the tabletop prints money. New management came in in 2015 or so and really stepped on the gas and fixed a lot of issues in the company. Now if their expansion into TV/movies with Amazon is successful it'll really take off.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What I often wonder is if any of the Warhammer magic is rubbing off on historical model companies. Airfix is long gone at this point…

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm back and not clicking any spoilers

does anyone have the link for the TEATD3 store? or should i just hit refresh on new and exclusive like alot

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, they moved the link from the store front. No queue yet. Goes up in 1 hour.

I'm just refreshing the pre-order page.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Philthy posted:

god speed fellow goon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

No queue yet is odd. If they’re gonna put it up today they better do it soon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I wasn't really paying attention but the gist of it is that scalpers swallowed up the pre-orders and GW had to re-acquire the orders and reset the page?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah it seems like it. Companies have been really struggling with this sort of thing, for some reason. Ticketmaster is infamous for it, but lots of groups seem to not understand how to deal with scalpers and limited release sales. It seems like such an easy fix to me: Have people make an account with a valid credit card, then do a lottery.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Philthy posted:

Same. I’ll put it in here if I find the actual pre-order page.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kaal posted:

Yeah it seems like it. Companies have been really struggling with this sort of thing, for some reason. Ticketmaster is infamous for it, but lots of groups seem to not understand how to deal with scalpers and limited release sales. It seems like such an easy fix to me: Have people make an account with a valid credit card, then do a lottery.

The issue is most people have no idea of how advanced the bots are. What you suggest won't work because the botting providers have virtual credit card services. For $20/month I can generate as many card numbers as I want and even have unique names/addresses tied to each.

There really isn't a way to stop scalpers who have top of the line bots.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
GW said they were allowing accounts to have multiple copies of the book in their cart somehow, so they purged all orders beyond 1 per account, so it freed up a pile of books.

I mean, how do you not have logic of "Sorry, there is a limited item already going to the address tied to this account and payment. Item(s) will be removed from your cart."

Edit: Maybe they were spoofing Kiosk accounts?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 24, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Annnd queue just went up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Queue just went live

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are you meant to refresh to join the queue after the capture? Or would that just push you to the back?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No idea. Normally it put a progress bar in the place. Now it just says you'll join the queue soon? So a queue before the queue?

GW is breaking my brain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've been assured repeatedly that there's nothing Brits love more than a queue, so queueing for one seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As a Brit, can confirm. However there is nothing more sacrilegious than a fake queue.