Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
On the subject of WWI, I read Poilu last summer after it had been highly recommended by the MilHist thread for years. It was extremely good and lived up to the reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ww1 is a pretty important from the shift it caused in terms of leadership of nations and diplomacy.

It was pretty much the end of empires in the old sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

But yeah, history curriculum in school sucks. But here in CT we had an entire Holocaust segment in our...English class? The teacher was an old Jewish lady, I kind of feel like she came up with it, but it was actually pretty good.
Outside of that, I didn't get any in-depth look into the Holocaust until college.

There's a lot of good books written about WW2. Catch 22, Diary of Anne Frank, others I'm forgetting

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

They say overly loving the Germans when they surrendered WWI caused Hitler

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fat Jesus posted:

It certainly didn't help

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Air Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of good books written about WW2. Catch 22, Diary of Anne Frank, others I'm forgetting

Catch-22 is great and one I want to reread at some point. If you're going non-fiction, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is amazing and should have been a movie or TV miniseries years ago for all the insanity that happens off Samar :black101:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
WW2 was the perfect simultaneous confluence of the insanely perfected killing power of mechanized warfare with the advent of near-instant reporting of the horrors of war. Almost nothing short of nuclear destruction can match the awe of battleships firing on each other in the Pacific, or endless waves of B-17's flying to Europe to drop dumb bombs on largely civilian populations. Another major turning point in western history came about largely due to the introduction of "the human cost" of war, which was still being set out and rationalized as a cost too great to lose. Preservation of troup/materiel was invented at the very end of WWII.

If I see 7 WW2 fighters "supporting" a single era bomber taking off locally and going overhead for a July 4 or Memorial Day event, and I'm rushing outside to see it. Imagine what warship battles/actual bombing formations looked like before most of the planet was immune to overhead flights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

Yep. Which they only really did because after years of war nations had only lost young men and didn't gain territory or resources or anything.

So it was as much a way to sell a victory to the people as it was to punish the Germans.

Obvs a lot more to it but German history In that 25 year period between 1910 and 1935 is somewhat under studied and quite interesting. In some cases. Very disturbing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We were talking about Jackass a few days ago and I just saw this which could be straight from it.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1749988163815096629?t=UyECjPnMr5P1VwSPstWpcg&s=19

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fat Jesus posted:

Same as prosecuting Trump caused Trump

Bullshit made up after the fact by apologists

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Freaquency posted:

I’d be very interested in seeing how many 18-29 respondents that survey got. It seems unlikely that 20% of zoomers are goosestepping all over the place.

It could be a bad poll, but assuming it is true the only rationale I can think of is that there are tons of sketchy sources of information on the internet now, especially if you are immersed in something like twitter 18 hours a day since you were 10 years old.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The GOP has spent 50 years purposely destroying education as a goal, and also building Cable TV propaganda channels with no other reason but to avoid having their own actions be judged by actual humans with memories - why is it surprising that kids with no other access and no interest in historical facts but with endless viewership chances to see dumbshit made-up foolishness and "horserace narrative" opposition facts on the internet specifically for low-information voters? Throw in the words "liberal media' while having 75% of media owned by military contractors and being fully beholden to GOP interests at worst/ignorant dipshit horserace bimbos at best ?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The run up to WWI is really fascinating how the confluence of technology and old world imperial pride just sort of threw the whole of Europe, Eurasia and parts of the Middle East in a loving artillery and chemical weapons blender and the world was nearly unrecognizable on the back end.

And like yes WWII had a similar effect but the kind of mechanized death of the Great War was unprecedented, unrelenting and really gave birth to the 20th century commitment to atrocity.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My partner was out of the country without a TV last weekend so we're watching the replays I recorded.

Behold my spoiler defender! It's a notepad and a chip clip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

LeeMajors posted:

The run up to WWI is really fascinating how the confluence of technology and old world imperial pride just sort of threw the whole of Europe, Eurasia and parts of the Middle East in a loving artillery and chemical weapons blender and the world was nearly unrecognizable on the back end.

And like yes WWII had a similar effect but the kind of mechanized death of the Great War was unprecedented, unrelenting and really gave birth to the 20th century commitment to atrocity.

I think it could be all boiled down to somebody loving with somebody else's cash, as usual. Once you've won, it was because reasons.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As jaded as it's fun to be I don't think WWII was fought to enrich Progressive Insurance

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm getting in to WW1 stuff next since I'm on an Ottoman Empire kick. I just need to finish my 4th full read through of the full Tale of Genji first.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best part about WWI intrigue is that nobody had any information and developmentally disabled adults just stayed out of it. Now they're the person on CNN to ask when it's not clear if Trump Raping People is Good or Really Good but that's The Liberal Media I guess

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just renewed my passport and they sent my old one back to me. Can I just toss this in the garbage? I actually wasn't expecting it back and I don't know what I should do with an expired passport.

I have my prior passport and keep it because it has proof of when I moved here, which was necessary both for buying a house and getting the Japanese version of a green card/permanent residency. But if you’re not living overseas you just have travel mementos, yeah.

I need to go get my little one a couple of passports. That’s gonna be fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ether Frenzy posted:

The best part about WWI intrigue is that nobody had any information and developmentally disabled adults just stayed out of it. Now they're the person on CNN to ask when it's not clear if Trump Raping People is Good or Really Good but that's The Liberal Media I guess

What's struck me a little bit is that some of these nation states had pretty good OpSec? They were all idiots of course and no one knew what anyone else was doing (even if they were in the same nation) when they were doing super shady poo poo, but you damned sure burned those documents after you read them. Which seems to be why a lot of things are so obscure.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It used to be the Liberal Media did not have 15 channels to breathlessly report on Cool Hitler's Latest Observation which you as the Senate Leader might get 50k views on your tiktok but that was then, now OpSec is gay and for the libs. Anyway here's the map for the

Oh drat, Cool Hitler said my wife was a hideous pigman and my father killed JFK, so I'm going to send him my sickest roasts of Nikki Haley and the invasion map. I will later denounce him as Hitler for this, until I don't because it's good for Twitter numbers

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tricky Ed posted:

My partner was out of the country without a TV last weekend so we're watching the replays I recorded.

Behold my spoiler defender! It's a notepad and a chip clip.

That is a thoughtful act.

Love when StarCraft tournament replays are embedded on sites that block out the time.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

After co-opting some Borderlands 2 with the wife threw on some Jackass S1, man they were so young

Watching the Skate Magazine Documentary the other week again makes the rewatch so much better. Plus recognizing all the Torrance/Redondo locations is awesome

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 24, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

After co-opting some Borderlands 2 with the wife threw on some Jackass S1, man they were so young

Watching the Skate Magazine Documentary the other week again makes the rewatch so much better. Plus recognizing all the Torrance/Redondo locations is awesome

Watching early Jackass (including the 1st movie) and recognizing Portland locations is fun. The hardware store where Dave England poo poo in the display toilet (Hippo Hardware) is still around (and somehow survived the pandemic).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Watching early Jackass (including the 1st movie) and recognizing Portland locations is fun. The hardware store where Dave England poo poo in the display toilet (Hippo Hardware) is still around (and somehow survived the pandemic).

Pandemic was a windfall for hardware stores.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I might have to go back and watch some of that, I didn’t realize so much early stuff was shot in Portland.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Which one of them was a kid in terminator 2

https://x.com/veryevilash/status/1745086313655648722?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

33 years ago Jesus

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 24, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC Big Brother magazine (where the Jackass guys got their notoriety) originated in Portland and came from its skater scene. I learned this from former roommates that were skaters.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC Big Brother magazine (where the Jackass guys got their notoriety) originated in Portland and came from its skater scene. I learned this from former roommates that were skaters.

Most of the OG crew except for Knoxville were more or less professional or at least really good at skating. Bam was a legit pro, and Steve-O, Pontius, Dave England, Wee Man can all tear it up and I think Dunn was a BMX guy

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You dweebs post endlessly about video games, and world war 2, but no one plays Hearts of Iron 4?!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Housemate's car battery died but luckily the Autozone near my house is open, so now he gets the cheap & legal thrill of throwing his old one into the ocean.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Weeman went to my high school, our claim to fame besides Chuck Norris

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

You dweebs post endlessly about video games, and world war 2, but no one plays Hearts of Iron 4?!

I played it some, should go back to it. But I need a goddamned guide to do any damned thing because I'm not smart enough for it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Current status: trying to decide if it’s weird that my workplace is requiring a FOIA request for the air quality report of one of my work locations when I just asked “hey what hazards were we exposed to?”

I don’t have to make formal requests for any other work hazard (bloodborne/infectious, etc) and it set off big ringing alarm bells for me and frankly pissed me off that it wasn’t just automatically disclosed.

Is it odd to require that for an internal request? I thought FOIA was mostly for outside parties.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Current status: trying to decide if it’s weird that my workplace is requiring a FOIA request for the air quality report of one of my work locations when I just asked “hey what hazards were we exposed to?”

I don’t have to make formal requests for any other work hazard (bloodborne/infectious, etc) and it set off big ringing alarm bells for me and frankly pissed me off that it wasn’t just automatically disclosed.

Is it odd to require that for an internal request? I thought FOIA was mostly for outside parties.

I doubt they are hiding anything (could very easily be wrong) but they probably don't have a government mandated process for retaining and distributing that information like they do with BBP and chemicals. This is probably them not wanting to do work and banking on you being too lazy to fill out the paperwork to make them do work.

Do it though, cause gently caress em.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

I played it some, should go back to it. But I need a goddamned guide to do any damned thing because I'm not smart enough for it.

It feels like the most complicated game ever invented, but also a very good WW2 simulator. I will dedicate the next 5 years to mastering it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

I played HoI3 a bit back in the day, but my laptop is kinda crappy so even though I have HoI4 on Steam (Along with some many other groggy games :negative:), I’ve barely touched it. If I can ever get a good desktop set up (Which requires having a bigger place to live :negative::negative:, I’ll be all over that and a bunch of other stuff

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I’m a Paradox girl, but Hearts of Iron interests me least, honestly.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a sexual elk posted:

Weeman went to my high school, our claim to fame besides Chuck Norris

The most famous person to come from my high school is still becoming famous. Omnom (I call him Cody tho). He played at EDC Las Vegas last year! On an actual stage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I need to get back into Victoria 3