Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

we dont need panel time to be even more divided

With some distance from Wano now, I am glad Yamato did not join. I do not think Egghead would have benefitted from a dozen or so panels of someone going "Oden would have thought this was soooo crazy!". I wonder if Oda realised that basing a Strawhat's personality around a single arc's flashback character wasn't going to have legs once you're no longer on that island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone off Wano even know about Oden as anyone but a probably dead pirate who hasn't been relevant for 20 years?

Yamato would just be running around screaming he's Oden and everyone would just nod and move on.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No Wave posted:

The ending of Wano was ofc weird. The funniest part to me was Zuneisha showing up then just walking away offscreen.
Haha wow I completely forgot about him! He really did just show up for an epic one liner and then got TFO.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

scary ghost dog posted:

we dont need panel time to be even more divided

This can be easily solved by Oda not cramming approximately 50 side characters in every arc!!

It's an easy solution!!!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

The Straw Hats desperately need another member to join the excited boys club with Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper, because they truly embody the joy of getting excited at new poo poo. Particularly someone who also won't chicken out if something slightly spooky happens.

Carrot and Yamato would have fit this perfectly!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

This can be easily solved by Oda not cramming approximately 50 side characters in every arc!!

It's an easy solution!!!

let me get this straight. so you think that Oda doing what hes always done, which is introduce a bunch of side characters every arc that readers wish would join the crew because of how cool they are, creates a panel real estate problem that would be solved if those side characters joined the crew.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

let me get this straight. so you think that Oda doing what hes always done, which is introduce a bunch of side characters every arc that readers wish would join the crew because of how cool they are, creates a panel real estate problem that would be solved if those side characters joined the crew.

Sorry but between dressrosa, whole cake, and Wano, post-timeskip One Piece has been plagued by just an absurd number of side characters that do not always land.

For every Senor Pink or Bart we have like a dozen Machivise or uh that one gladiator who was known for beheading people I guess, or that cactus hat wearing bounty hunter. For every Katakuri have we a dozen Smoothie and their literal horde of siblings. For every uh... Hiyori we have like three dozen scabbards, ninjas, and whatever group the old yakuza guy was in charge of was.

If Oda can add a couple more Straw Hats and then choose to give them more focus, that would work out perfectly in my opinion. Like I'm not saying don't add _any_ side characters, but drat the last couple arcs have been nuts!!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

No Wave posted:

The fruit name is "The Guardian Defender of Wano". Green Bull attacked and Momonosuke was clearly not strong enough. Yamato doesnt have an arc beyond being necessary to protect Wano and is supposed to be the inversion/correction of Oden's mistake, which was leaving Wano. To me staying made all the sense in the world and there flat out wouldnt be an arc otherwise.

I was saying that Yamato would stay behind during almost the entirety of Wano for pretty much the exact same reasons you said but by the end Oda had thrown so many 'Yamato is joining' hints that I relented and admitted it seems he would be the newest crewmate only to be proven right out of the blue in the last two chapters of the arc. And even then the notion that Yamato is staying behind to protect Wano is immediately watered down when it looks like Green Bull will beat him anyways and instead is scared off by Shanks who just happens to be floating past Wano to advertise FIlm Red. Boy I loved Wano but the last third is so so rough.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Yamato, repeatedly: i will leave wano to go on an adventure specifically with this guy luffy OF WHOMST I KNEW HIS BROTHER and specifically on his ship!!

fans, also Kaido: okay but your fruit

Yamato: ah, well, then

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yamato was strong enough to fight kaido (who presumably didnt want to kill his son, but thats still an insane feat) so i guess besides an admiral or a yonkou he probably could defend the island.

but all yamato needed to do was go "i wanted to become oden so bad but one thing that always bugged me was his regret. he left wano and let this happen in the first place, and thats why if im truly oden i should stay unless i absolutely need to leave to protect it" and it would actually be an interesting reflection fo both yamato and oden. instead hes just like "hm, actually, nah" and it felt awful lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

anime was right posted:

yamato was strong enough to fight kaido (who presumably didnt want to kill his son, but thats still an insane feat) so i guess besides an admiral or a yonkou he probably could defend the island.

but all yamato needed to do was go "i wanted to become oden so bad but one thing that always bugged me was his regret. he left wano and let this happen in the first place, and thats why if im truly oden i should stay unless i absolutely need to leave to protect it" and it would actually be an interesting reflection fo both yamato and oden. instead hes just like "hm, actually, nah" and it felt awful lol

I agree, a single line like that would have ameliorated a lot for me, personally.

Instead, like less than 5 chapters til the end of Wano, we had this scene which I really can't explain after knowing what happens:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah that angle absolutely makes sense to me but I think we needed to see Yamato make the connection himself ("Oden would want me to defend Wano" or something) for it to land properly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Terper posted:

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_107#Chapter_1078,_Page_40

Caribou did not hear, so the only people (that we know of) who know are the Strawhats INCLUDING YAMATO, and also Sabo.

:negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jinbei said the crew was full

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sure. Luffy kind of implies that's how the conversation went when he says "Take care of 'em, Yamato" as he leaves but even a dense chapter like 1056 could have had room for a panel of Yamato telling the truth to the strawhats while fibbing to momo about reasons for staying.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Vivi will join and Yamato will stay gone until the final grand fleet appearance

And that's how it should be

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be really funny if vivi joined the revolutionary army instead of the strawhats.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Sorry but between dressrosa, whole cake, and Wano, post-timeskip One Piece has been plagued by just an absurd number of side characters that do not always land.

For every Senor Pink or Bart we have like a dozen Machivise or uh that one gladiator who was known for beheading people I guess, or that cactus hat wearing bounty hunter. For every Katakuri have we a dozen Smoothie and their literal horde of siblings. For every uh... Hiyori we have like three dozen scabbards, ninjas, and whatever group the old yakuza guy was in charge of was.

If Oda can add a couple more Straw Hats and then choose to give them more focus, that would work out perfectly in my opinion. Like I'm not saying don't add _any_ side characters, but drat the last couple arcs have been nuts!!
I quite liked how the Big Mom pirates were handled. We got an impression of an overwhelming pirate crew without having to have an extended fight with every one of them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd be really funny if vivi joined the revolutionary army instead of the strawhats.

It'll be the same thing by the end. I'll be technically correct which is the best kind of correct

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yamato is cool but he shouldn’t join because the crew needs more girls

Also Paulie should have joined so he could continue to poo poo on fan service

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe this was a byproduct of Oda trying to figure out how to square the circle of Oden seeking Freedom and Adventure (like, you know, Luffy) actually being a Bad Thing without contradicting the story's own themes.

Including the hilarious scene where Oden had to stop back at Wano and immediately run off again before his distressed retainers could actually tell him about the problems on the island. That were his job to fix.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oden wanted to see the world because he was tired of Wano. Yamato has never actually seen Wano. He was trapped on Onigashima his whole life. He's got a whole country to explore. Once Momo is strong enough to protect Wano himself, Yamato will have had time to actually see his home country, and will join the Strawhats on their continuing adventures.

So basically Yamato has two reasons to stay- the country needs him (like it needed Oden, who let the country down by leaving), and Wano itself is a fresh adventure for Yamato.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe this was a byproduct of Oda trying to figure out how to square the circle of Oden seeking Freedom and Adventure (like, you know, Luffy) actually being a Bad Thing without contradicting the story's own themes.

Including the hilarious scene where Oden had to stop back at Wano and immediately run off again before his distressed retainers could actually tell him about the problems on the island. That were his job to fix.
Monarchy is hardest on the monarchs...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eiba posted:

Oden wanted to see the world because he was tired of Wano. Yamato has never actually seen Wano. He was trapped on Onigashima his whole life. He's got a whole country to explore. Once Momo is strong enough to protect Wano himself, Yamato will have had time to actually see his home country, and will join the Strawhats on their continuing adventures.

So basically Yamato has two reasons to stay- the country needs him (like it needed Oden, who let the country down by leaving), and Wano itself is a fresh adventure for Yamato.

I want Yamato to join, but there is no reason to think this

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

I want Yamato to join, but there is no reason to think this
I mean, you think they'll stop when they find the One Piece? Continuing adventures.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Yamato joins the crew

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yamayto, Yamahto

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

No Wave posted:

The ending of Wano was ofc weird. The funniest part to me was Zuneisha showing up then just walking away offscreen.

Zuneisha was just Joy Boy's frat bro and got psyched to party again when he heard the drums. But instead he found people being responsible and just kind of hosed off again until he can throw back a few a with joy boy.

RuBisCO posted:

Having been going through the post time-skip anime the past few months, a lot of these people seem to be introduced to just add more filler in the anime. The various Charlotte kids have a lot more scenes, Smoothie actually does quite a few attacks on the Sunny in the anime, etc. The same thing with the ninja squad in Wano, there is a good bit more of them dealing with Brook & Robin when they are infiltrating the feast.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
My earnest hope is that while Luffy faces down Blackbeard, Imu gets taken down by a sort of GamemasterAnthony situation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cat Machine posted:

With some distance from Wano now, I am glad Yamato did not join.

I am not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

The Straw Hats desperately need another member to join the excited boys club with Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper, because they truly embody the joy of getting excited at new poo poo. Particularly someone who also won't chicken out if something slightly spooky happens.

Carrot and Yamato would have fit this perfectly!!

Somehow I feel like Vivi would be kind of like that (especially upon meeting Franky)

Though at this point I could also see her joining the Revolutionaries as well (especially once she finds out the WG killed her dad)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yamato should have joined the crew so it had a hot dude with big tits

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We already have Franky.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

ChaseSP posted:

We already have Franky.

Agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4H4AEeKKA

Edit: of course my work call comes back online in the middle of him yelling Nipple Light Special

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Somehow I feel like Vivi would be kind of like that (especially upon meeting Franky)

Though at this point I could also see her joining the Revolutionaries as well (especially once she finds out the WG killed her dad)

vivi has already heard it from wapol. otherwise, why bother to hide at all?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ChaseSP posted:

We already have Franky.

But consider symmetrical docking

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if Dragon will ever do anything

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

vivi has already heard it from wapol. otherwise, why bother to hide at all?

Ah right. Still a tossup at this point whether she’ll hook back up with Luffy or join the Revolutionary Army (though I’m guessing a reunion with the former is in the cards regardless)

hatty posted:

I wonder if Dragon will ever do anything

When was the last time we saw Dragon actually do something anyway? Way back when Smoker was first introduced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat