Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is the roller that the shower door used to hang from.

https://www.swisco.com/Frameless-Shower-Hanger/pd/Lavatory-Replacement-Hardware/10-153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thanks!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Stove hood light burnt out and takes regular (A19) incandescents. Any reason I should avoid swapping them out for LEDs? I'm worried they won't work as well with the heat

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

Stove hood light burnt out and takes regular (A19) incandescents. Any reason I should avoid swapping them out for LEDs? I'm worried they won't work as well with the heat

I would share that worry. Just put in whatever the manufacturer suggests.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brute Squad posted:

At hood height, there's not much extra heat. We use an LED in ours and it's fine. Use whatever you want.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Brute Squad posted:

Been using normal, cheap, LED lights in my vent hood for years with no problems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

jetz0r posted:

Been using normal, cheap, LED lights in my vent hood for years with no problems.

Same.
I'd not do it *in* the oven, but over it, no problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have two pairs of these adjustable dumbbells:

The one pictured can no longer be adjusted. You're supposed to rotate the hubs on the ends, but each one won't turn more than about a half click (i.e. not enough to move from one weight setting to the next one).

They're both just cheap Chinese weights, and as you can see, they've been sitting on the floor of my office, which gets a lot of dog fur. I'd much rather fix this one than throw it out, but I really have no clue where to start. As far as I can tell, there's no brand, and they didn't come with a maintenance manual or anything like that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you're getting resistance when it's turning it sounds like something is just caught in the "gears", I'd start by cleaning it as best you can, maybe try some compressed air or pipe cleaners

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Talk to me about recaulking around a tub or shower pan: any tips tricks or pitfalls? What cleaning or prep do I need to do after scraping out the old gunk?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arrath posted:

Talk to me about recaulking around a tub or shower pan: any tips tricks or pitfalls? What cleaning or prep do I need to do after scraping out the old gunk?

I have the video just for you!

https://youtu.be/AcgErpZ_D0c?si=pggHaMFrOBKzt4eO

Since I am absolute poo poo at making clean caulk lines, the painter's tape trick has helped me several times. Lots of different opinions on cleaners to spray/put down before recaulking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Since I am absolute poo poo at making clean caulk lines, the painter's tape trick has helped me several times. Lots of different opinions on cleaners to spray/put down before recaulking.

You're the best, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

There was so much debate online about taping or not I’m so confused

012424_2
Jan 25, 2024
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

012424_2 posted:

This is why you don't tap houses with logos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

There was so much debate online about taping or not I’m so confused

Exactly what "debate" are you seeing?

Taping takes more time and materials, and you have to pay attention and take it off at the right time.

Not taping takes skill and recent familiarity that most people who don't paint for a living will not have so the result is often subpar. It's an art, it's a craft....you can learn it, but you can also lose it when you haven't done it for a while.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I've had tape take the finish off the tub before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

I've had tape take the finish off the tub before.

If low tack tape is taking the finish off of a tub it's got to be some sort of very specific situation........ My post is assuming things can handle painters tape, applied for an hour or so. If your caulk application is different from that you've got a whole other set of issues going on that are not likely to be solved by caulk.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 25, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

012424_2 posted:

underneath that vinyl siding was painted brick

Motronic posted:

If low tack tape is taking the finish off of a tub it's got to be some sort of very specific situation........ My post is assuming things can handle painters tape, applied for an hour or so. If your caulk application is different from that you've got a whole other set of issues going on that are not likely to be solved by caulk.

Yeah in most of my caulking projects, the tape is down for ~15-20 minutes and not adhered super-tight. It's not like painting projects where the tape stays while poo poo dries - for caulking, tape gets pulled as soon as the caulk is smoothed down. I *think* the no-tape alternative for a novice would be applying "too little" caulk, smoothing, then potentially adding more and smoothing if it wasn't enough coverage for the gap. I've never made that look very good though, but again, I suck at it!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don’t worry, everyone sucks at caulk

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

That, definitely.

I've had good luck with one of these style tools for making nice caulk lines:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BNLQQ0

This dingus was also handy for removing the old stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3S6JFY

Not absolutely necessary, but easier to handle than a regular razor blade scraper. The triangular blade part actually worked well for me.

edit:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Don’t worry, everyone sucks at caulk

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Darchangel posted:

That, definitely.

I've had good luck with one of these style tools for making nice caulk lines:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BNLQQ0

Second those type of tools, I am able to do pretty nice caulk lines using them without too much difficulty.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
My preferred method of caulking is to push the tip firmly into the corner instead of pulling it. The nozzle will smooth the bead as you go giving you a nice line with no need to do anything to it. Cut the nozzle further back for a bigger bead, closer to the the tip for a smaller bead. FYI that is why caulk nozzles are tapered.

Practice it in an inconspicuous location and you will never go back to any other method. If you make a mistake, or the surface is bumpy and causes hills and valleys in the bead, just smooth it by pulling (not pushing) your finger across it in the same manner as the nozzle would, and have a roll of paper towels handy to wipe up the excess.

You need to practice good trigger control. You will get the hang of it quickly, but basically you want a little bulb of caulk, the same size as your bead, traveling along in front of the tip as you push. You will need to vary the pressure on the trigger accordingly. Too much and the bead will blow up, too little and you have to go back over it.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 25, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've always just used my finger and then cleaned up with a bit of paper towel after and it comes out OK. Once your finger is gooped up, wipe it off, and if you need to you can moisten it slightly with a wet paper towel to help it not adhere as much to the caulk. The trick is even pressure and going fast, rather than slow. The other trick is in just not caring if it's slightly uneven somewhere. Nobody but you will ever notice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Second those type of tools, I am able to do pretty nice caulk lines using them without too much difficulty.

I was really happy how my shower came out using, them, for sure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

If you're getting resistance when it's turning it sounds like something is just caught in the "gears", I'd start by cleaning it as best you can, maybe try some compressed air or pipe cleaners

I sprayed it with air as much as I could. It'd help if there was a breakdown somewhere of how these things are supposed to work. I'm trying to figure it out from first principles, but I don't think I have it nailed down. Here's what I think:

First, this is a half-dumbbell with the weights off:

You can see that the black plastic disks have notches on them. The disks closer to the end correspond to lighter weights, and have smaller and more frequent notches. It's an encoding, kind of like binary code, that just says how frequently that disk turns "on" and "off" as the user adjusts the dumbbell. The lightest weight turns on/off most frequently, etc.

Here's a close-up of the "base" of this section, closest to the handle:

As you rotate the handle to adjust the dumbbell, the metal gear turns. There's a pattern of holes in the gear. If you look under the gear, you can see little rounded metal buttons:

I assume those can slot into the holes in the gear. So my guess is that the way this is supposed to work is:

1. User rotates dumbbell handle
2. Metal gear rotates
3. As part of rotating, it pushes buttons, which somehow causes the central column to engage/disengage rotating of the black plastic disks
4. Black plastic disks pick up / drop the weights accordingly

What isn't clear to me is how step 3 works, and what's gone wrong to stop it from working. I've tried pushing the buttons, but I don't have an implement that's both thin enough to fit into the gap, narrow enough to fit between the teeth of the gear, and long enough to reach the buttons. A screwdriver kind of works but isn't able to press the buttons...not that I'm clear that pushing the buttons would actually help, mind.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Those pauls go into a set of detents on the weights. The math adds up to what you have on the wheel. It's more or less binary logic gates.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Those pauls go into a set of detents on the weights. The math adds up to what you have on the wheel. It's more or less binary logic gates.

By "pauls" you mean the rounded metal buttons?

Mind you, the underlying issue is that the dumbbell is locked up and can't be adjusted, and I'm still not clear on how to go about fixing it...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most likely there is a plastic moving part somewhere that has bent or slipped so it can’t move any more. Workout which parts are supposed to move and which aren’t and see where they are in contact.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mind you, the underlying issue is that the dumbbell is locked up and can't be adjusted, and I'm still not clear on how to go about fixing it...

Dogs? Teeth? Yeah. Basically you're going to need to get in there with a little hook or something and see which little bits are still moving vs locked out. Something is "slipped" or "jammed" against those. You might also see if there is a cap on the end that is pressed on which you can pry off. Ever done lockpicking? It's pretty hard without being able to touch it. I assume you've tried like, dropping it on cement on the stuck end? (So the force goes along the grip, not through the disks.) Or the opposite.

withak posted:

Most likely there is a plastic moving part somewhere that has bent or slipped so it can’t move any more. Workout which parts are supposed to move and which aren’t and see where they are in contact.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
TooMuchAbstraction, have you looked on YouTube? You own what look like knockoff Bowflex SelectTech 552s, it’s likely that any troubleshooting video (I see several at a glance, would link except phoneposting) would apply to yours.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all! There's some screws on the inside of the part near the handle, I guess I can try opening them up. They're Chinesium Phillips-head screws, so almost certainly they'll just strip in the process, but I think that's my only bet for accessing the internals. On the plus side, it's not like they can get more broken!

illcendiary posted:

TooMuchAbstraction, have you looked on YouTube? You own what look like knockoff Bowflex SelectTech 552s, it’s likely that any troubleshooting video (I see several at a glance, would link except phoneposting) would apply to yours.

This is absolutely not something I would've been able to figure out on my own, thank you!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It's spelled "pawl", by the way, and yeah, sort of:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pawl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Recently bought a fixer upper condo built in the 1920s (ask me about my great decisions!) One of the many issues that I've encountered: when my general contractor went to install a range hood, they opened up the ceiling and found this:

The moisture is coming from a leaky brick chimney that's just out of camera - they're going to patch that up over the roof, which should stop the water from coming in. The thing I'm more concerned about is the mold. I had them scrape it off and spray it down with half peroxide / half vinegar, but am I further hosed than that if I can stop the moisture from coming through?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The moisture is coming from a leaky brick chimney that's just out of camera - they're going to patch that up over the roof, which should stop the water from coming in. The thing I'm more concerned about is the mold. I had them scrape it off and spray it down with half peroxide / half vinegar, but am I further hosed than that if I can stop the moisture from coming through?

Mold is everywhere, it's inescapable, and is only really an issue if you have existing respiratory issues or allergies that are aggravated by increased levels of spores. What matters is that you get that lumber dried and that it doesn't get wet again. Can you tell if the wood is rotten? Because it'll need to be replaced/sistered if so.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mold is everywhere, it's inescapable, and is only really an issue if you have existing respiratory issues or allergies that are aggravated by increased levels of spores. What matters is that you get that lumber dried and that it doesn't get wet again. Can you tell if the wood is rotten? Because it'll need to be replaced/sistered if so.

If the wood is OK, spray it with a coat of Killz primer to immobilize and stabilize it.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Qft, “mold” and the issues associated with it are so overblown. It’s not uncommon for water to make its way in through chimneys, vents, and any other roof penetrations. Fortunately damage is typically minimal. Ensure that it’s appropriately sealed from the roof side and have them check any other roof penetrations (vents, etc). If you can get on the roof yourself, head up there every 1-2 years with a gallon of roofing cement and trowel it on to any trouble spots.

Frankly I’d be more concerned with the lead paint underneath the drywall.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Deteriorata posted:

If the wood is OK, spray it with a coat of Killz primer to immobilize and stabilize it.

If you're going to do this after it's all dry and mold/mildew is killed to help prevent future growth, then make sure to specifically use a waterbased primer that's labeled on the can or data sheet as antimicrobial. I had to double check, but Kilz 2 (waterbased) is antimicrobial. Whatever you do, don't use anything oil based like original Kilz which would be very susceptible to future mold/mildew growth.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hit it with concrobium once you stop the water, then wall it off and forget it ever happened. It's gotta be dry and not going to get re-wet first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Following up on my busted adjustable dumbbell: this thing was not designed with maintenance in mind. The only accessible fasteners are four screws. These connect some red plastic caps to a larger piece of black plastic, and hold a spring in place. The black plastic, on the other side, is closely covered by the metal "gear" with all the holes in it for the encoder. The spring's job is to press a small plastic cylinder into the holes in the wheel. In between the two is a thin gap.

Turns out those four screws use captive nuts, and the captive nuts aren't secured by anything. So once the screws are out, the nuts fall out of their holes, and then out of the piece entirely. I managed, with significant effort, to slide one of the nuts back into its hole, but without any way to apply pressure to it, I can't get a screw to mate with it.

The reason the dumbbell broke, incidentally, was that the little plastic cylinder was stuck. In fact, I feel like it might be some kind of safety lock, i.e. its job is to provide extra resistance so that you don't accidentally release weights while in the middle of a workout. There's a small button next to it that you can use to forcibly retract it, which allows the dumbbell to be adjusted again. But as soon as it slips into one of the holes in the encoder wheel, it's stuck again.

The good news is that if I remove the spring, then I can adjust the thing freely, and it works as a dumbbell again. I just don't have that safety, I guess. I'm also going to have to use glue or epoxy to reassemble the bits I removed.