Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A reverse medusa :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

zoux posted:

A reverse medusa :wth:
A snake but every scale on the top of its head is a human from the torso up?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chapter three loving goes places.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ToxicFrog posted:

Reading The March North and I think Blossom just made chlorine trifluoride? She asked for a bunch of salt and fluorite, did some spooky magic poo poo, and produced something that's hypergolic with stone, sand, water, and enemy wizards, so...

I'm really liking this premise of "20th century knowledge of chemistry and physics coupled with advanced magic".

The next two books are basically more of the same, but high-stakes wizard school, so you're in for a treat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OptionalPirate posted:

GB - I noticed that Amazon UK doesn't like me searching for Exordia. It auto-corrects to Exodia and just gives Yu-Gi-Oh crap, you're not even on the page. Hope somebody gets fired for this blunder.
sounds like some kind of Exordia and Terminus to me

boy I hope the old nerds in this thread think that's funny

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I've been saving some of an Amazon gift card my family got me for Christmas, so: one more copy of Exordia purchased, thanks GB!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Going Postal (Discworld #33) by Terry Pratchett - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W965QM/

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Hello thread. My first book in four years is out today. It is called EXORDIA.

Congrats!! I hope it feels great (and sells great), looking forward to diving into it this weekend!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just appeared on my kindle today! :toot:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I've been reading Exordia pretty steadily today, but not as fast as I expected because it's unnerving enough that I need an occasional break.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm on chapter 6 or 7 and I'd like to find Batuta's editor and give them a hug and make sure they're okay.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Exordia is really good, except it touched on some ideas I thought were original and now kinda don't want to use after going on about how much I enjoyed it because I'm afraid people will think I nicked them, hah.

But also, Amazon won't let me leave a review despite spending over $50 in a year, so, is there another aspect to their 'you're a real customer' guidelines? I put one up on Goodreads, but that's not the same thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Exordia is really good, except it touched on some ideas I thought were original and now kinda don't want to use after going on about how much I enjoyed it because I'm afraid people will think I nicked them, hah.

But also, Amazon won't let me leave a review despite spending over $50 in a year, so, is there another aspect to their 'you're a real customer' guidelines? I put one up on Goodreads, but that's not the same thing.

For real - your take on those ideas will be different because you are different. An idea isn't necessarily worse because someone else used it first. You know you didn't nick them, and even if you had it'd be the execution that mattered. Don't hesitate to write your thing because you want to be original. Just write the thing. If it's any good it can't help but be original, because you wrote it this time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
General I just want you to know that I was sitting here waffling about whether to buy this or that game, all modern day angst over what I'd have the most fun with like the saddest version of mute indecision there ever was and then I read the blurb for your book and that solved the whole thing right quick. I hope this makes you boat loads of money and acclaim. Thanks for writing.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I felt the same way after reading the Xenogenesis trilogy, but that didn’t stop me. My writing is nothing like Octavia Butler’s so the end product is gonna be completely different. Originality is in the execution, not the idea itself

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Edit: wrong thread!

To make this post somewhat useful: Exordia chapter 4 is all I can fit in tonight, but boy, what a start to a book. General Battuta, if you don't mind my asking, how intentional of a response to Blindsight is this setting?

Kestral fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 24, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'ma grab it in a while. Got wayyyy too big of a backlog at the moment. The blurbs did sell me though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The plot structure reminds me of the pulse detonations of an Orion ship. Most of these bangs would end a normal book.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw Amazon says it's reviewing my review and it may take several days. They said they'd email me when it's done so uh that's something I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
GB, man, one day you gotta come over to my place so you can play Trial by Trolley with us

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am exactly in the middle point of the Ash and Sand Trilogy. I can say without a doubt that this series has some cool ideas and is a way above average read vs the competition. It started slow but has made the investment worth it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

General Battuta posted:

If you pick it up I hope you enjoy it. There is some goon poo poo in there I am sure you will spot.
I bought and read a bit of it last night. I was not expecting to be laughing my rear end off half the time. Including oddly personal vendettas against online forums posters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

gvibes posted:

I bought and read a bit of it last night. I was not expecting to be laughing my rear end off half the time. Including oddly personal vendettas against online forums posters.

People who hold forum grudges are so loving weird.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sickening posted:

People who hold forum grudges are so loving weird.

But now all the goons in the thread are rushing out to buy it to find out if they're one of the ones General B has a grudge against!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

gvibes posted:

I was not expecting quite so many puns, I thought editors hate puns

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Hello thread. My first book in four years is out today. It is called EXORDIA.

Huh, turns out past me did me a favor and put this on hold at the library ages ago. It's ready to pick up today. Sometimes that guy is alright.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kesper North posted:

I was not expecting quite so many puns, I thought editors hate puns

Tamsyn Muir may have stumbled on trying to get the last of her Locked Tomb books out quickly, but in a sense she balked so Battuta could pun

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

gvibes posted:

God drat it. Now I have to read it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

sebmojo posted:

Tamsyn Muir may have stumbled on trying to get the last of her Locked Tomb books out quickly, but in a sense she balked so Battuta could pun

Jesus christ.

Jedit posted:

But now all the goons in the thread are rushing out to buy it to find out if they're one of the ones General B has a grudge against!

The character has forums grudges, not me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

The character has forums grudges, not me.
so you're saying you did not write me in as a pedophile rapist with a small dick?

(wow do I hope I'm not misremembering and that's actually what Michael Crichton did or else this post looks really, really weird)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so you're saying you did not write me in as a pedophile rapist with a small dick?

(wow do I hope I'm not misremembering and that's actually what Michael Crichton did or else this post looks really, really weird)

Yep

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

:perfect:

i say jod daaaaaamn

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finally got round to reading City of Last Chances, having bought it mid-december. someone upthread mentioned but i found it really goddamn easy to bounce off the first few whirligig chapters as it jumped from person to person. also the very first priest chapter was a bit tedious. it got good with relative speed though; usual Tchaikovsky affair where it's decent-but-not-consistently-astonishing ideas executed with competence-but-not-complete-brilliance.

sounds like faint praise - it's not. book good, imo.

also read that latest Alisdair Reynolds "Prefect" book, Machine Vendetta. felt rather phoned in. some good bits, but the characters were more sketch-like than usual, and the ending was an enormous lol. central mystery was also a bit... absent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sebmojo posted:

I doubt it, she's Australian so I don't think she plays a lot of baseball.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I finished Exordia, and I really like it. Very different from Baru. Lots more POVs, but more compact in terms of the timespan of the events of the novel and the number of settings. Much higher stakes.

Here's my Amazon review, whenever it goes up. I've spoiled it because it's mildly spoilery but not intensely so:

There's a lot to like about Dickinson's Exordia. In a nutshell, one alien sets out to change things, to make right a deep wrong done to the Universe, and there consequences. There are some aliens, lots of important choices being made, and tons of explosions. There's interesting science fiction technology, along with some science-fantasy semi-magic functioning on a set of extra-real laws that are gestured at but thankfully never fully-explained. Throw in some ultra-violence, a little bit of body horror, and every nuke on earth and you've got Exordia. There are also a LOT of fighter jets and plenty of military jargon and callsigns that I will admit to having skimmed over a little bit, but adult lovers of Top Gun will not be disappointed.

If we jump past the "wow cool robots" bits of Exordia, at its core it is a meditation on the nature of moral choices. It asks the question "What makes a choice morally good?" It's not difficult to intuit some of of the things that the book argues are immoral, such as suffering inflicted on the innocent for the sake of power. But it elects not to answer the question of what makes a choice moral. Instead, we are presented with a set of individuals who all make choices in different ways. Anna, who always does what it takes to win, with winning representing something that depends on context. Ssrin, an alien who will do whatever is necessary to accomplish the goal of freeing the universe of total, soul-bound domination. Clayton, a mirror to Ssrin, who will do whatever is necessary to make the world better (for his definition of better). Erik, who believes that doing good means laying out the boundaries for good and evil in advance, and always choosing good, no matter the cost to you or those around you. For Erik, the lesser evil will always be evil. Li, for whom the greatest good is understanding the meaning of the world. Chaya, who believes that good comes in helping others. Chaya might be arguable - she's the one for whom you have to read between the lines the most. We see their motivations laid out clearly, and the choices they make are never stupid, even if we don't like them, even if we wouldn't make the same ones. We see the consequences of their actions (and there are CONSEQUENCES), and we are left to draw our own conclusions about who, if anyone, made moral choices.

General, are you planning to write a sequel or is it a standalone?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sebmojo posted:

:same:

But I hope the Saga of Caro somehow gets immortalized in it or some other future book

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Stardust by Neil Gaiman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC13Y0/

The Dragon's Path (Dagger & Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

The Two of Swords: Volume One by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5K2CK3/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I doubt it, she's Australian so I don't think she plays a lot of baseball.

I think you can balk in cricket but I'm not gonna look it up

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah finished machine vendetta and lol at that ending (or lack thereof)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

shrike82 posted:

yeah finished machine vendetta and lol at that ending (or lack thereof)...

Ah drat I just picked it up too