Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

They just glow red from black body radiation, right, same any material at equal temperature? They’re not doing anything more interesting with physics or chemistry.

Not worried about funky chemistry. Ceramic fireplace logs are notoriously fragile and only get worse over time. Something heavy on them could cause problems after a while, not sure if a constant weight would accelerate their degradation noticeably.

And messing with the airflow mechanics inside a gas fireplace can lead to different air-fuel mixing characteristics, which can lead to soot build up, which leads to huge carbon carbuncles. Maybe other concerns along those lines as well.

Like, a little too much rock wool on the ports can have remarkably profound effects. I want the skull, but would worry about it affecting the burner mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You could try it and find out?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'd call my local skull and fireplace shop and have it professionally installed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rufio RUFIO RUFIO Ohhh!!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
All this talk of skulls and flames necessitates me to remind you all that if you're going to throw skulls in fire, you also need to become forklift certified.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I never knew I wanted a Terminator skull to build a bonfire around, but this thread has shown me what a fool I am.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why not just make the entire gas fireplace structure out of cast iron bones and skulls?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Well, this takes the cake from the sunken bathtub adventures: https://www.reddit.com/r/Construction/comments/19eiifp/were_out_of_state_and_our_contractor_cut_through/

They wanted a toilet, they got their house cut in half. This is apparently on an upper floor too, not ground floor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That isn't even a very cool skull though. How hard can it be to cast iron? I smell a goon project!

A skull complete with eyeholes and mouth and teeth seems like a pretty complex shape to cast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phanatic posted:

A skull complete with eyeholes and mouth and teeth seems like a pretty complex shape to cast.

And yet hundreds of millions are made every year. And that's just human ones! Makes you think...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

And yet hundreds of millions are made every year. And that's just human ones! Makes you think...

Those are osteoblast not cast though :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lager posted:

One of my wife's favorite gifts I've given was a cast iron skull that lives in our fireplace and glows red when we light a fire.

Bad Munki posted:

That sounds rad and now I’m shopping.

If I had a fireplace...

Wait! I have a firepit!

PainterofCrap posted:

Water running down (PVC) pipes can make a surprising commotion. It's not fun to be having a quiet evening at home and it sounds like Niagra coming down the wall. Cast iron really muffles it.

I replaced most of my cast (as needed) and lead(!) with PVC and the sound of water draining through it, as heard from the top of my basement steps, triggered me for the better part of a year.

The move I've been seeing in various newer/renovated homes is to stuff fiberglass insulation under tubs, showers, and down pipe chases in the walls, on the back side of the drywall.

Can confirm - new PVC waste piping is a *lot* louder than the old cast iron.

canyoneer posted:

It's especially important to buy metal goods that you'll be heating to high temperatures directly from the producer. You don't want to be surprised by a low quality metal or a cast full of bubbles. You want to be sure that whoever smelt it, dealt it.

I literally can't decide if this is legit advice, or you came up with it just for that last line.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Legit advice ending on a pun. Bubbles in an item being heated can lead to violent structural failure.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

I wonder if you can cast iron in plaster? If so, you could do it lost PLA style with nothing but a 3D printer, some plaster, a furnace, and a pot of molten iron.

(One of these things are more complicated than the others.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Who amongst us does not have a homebuilt Bessemer converter

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I googled iron skull fireplace and there are options like this

https://imgur.com/gallery/xJ45v

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Twerk from Home posted:

They wanted a toilet, they got their house cut in half. This is apparently on an upper floor too, not ground floor.

What's with this wanton disrespect for joists.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This brings me no joyst

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twerk from Home posted:

This is apparently on an upper floor

Not so fast.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darchangel posted:

I literally can't decide if this is legit advice, or you came up with it just for that last line.

Worked backwards from the pun and it happens to be factual

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, this takes the cake from the sunken bathtub adventures: https://www.reddit.com/r/Construction/comments/19eiifp/were_out_of_state_and_our_contractor_cut_through/

Wow, that's pretty bad.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I wonder if you can cast iron in plaster? If so, you could do it lost PLA style with nothing but a 3D printer, some plaster, a furnace, and a pot of molten iron.

(One of these things are more complicated than the others.)

Elemental iron has a melting point over 1500C, though iron alloys can be lower than that. Casting in plaster would be challenging.

What you really want is a sand mold and some thermite. Similar things are done to weld train tracks together.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

[cackles in skeleton]

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

They might as well jump right in and put in a sunken bathtub for :females: while they're at it, they're already half there!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Twerk from Home posted:

Can this be fixed or is the house just hosed now? If it can be fixed, how?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Splode posted:

Can this be fixed or is the house just hosed now? If it can be fixed, how?

Rip up flooring around holes, rip out stupid pipe, repair every single joist with approved materials and methods. Enough lag bolts and some sistered lumber would do it, but lol, it'll be a huge pain in the dick.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the regular Fix It thread

012424_2 posted:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please don’t quote permabanned rereg Aaron Burr.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

Not so fast.

Not for long.

canyoneer posted:

Worked backwards from the pun and it happens to be factual

Excellent. I applaud the effort.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/3XJ6VBS.mp4

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Look water is conductive and have you seen the prices on copper these days??

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess they could be using the water piping as the grounding point for the house, and something is shorted to ground?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Twerk from Home posted:

I guess it's true what they say; anywhere can have a toilet if you're brave enough!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Twerk from Home posted:

The holes created with a drill were fairly straightforward, but how did they even do the notches? I assume a reciprocating saw for the vertical parts (a circular saw would have been straighter) but then how did they do the bottom cut? Chisel? Oscillating multitool? Really big hammer? All of those seem like more work than the hole-saw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Two passes with a circular saw, and then a hammer will pop out the chunk of wood. It's only held in by the lignin between the wood fibers that weren't severed, and that's a pretty weak adhesion.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Those particular cuts weren't done with a circular saw unless that camera was bought at a funhouse.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
I figure they drilled through every one of those joists with their 3” bore bit or whatever it was initially.

Then when they realized that they couldn’t thread the pipe through, they went straight down with a sawzall to cut into the circular holes so they could lay it in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/TonyPeric/status/1750173994051883246

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wow, that is some of the least-competent construction work I've ever seen. I especially like the four sistered rafters, not a one of which was installed properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And that’s all on top of the fact that you’d have to live in Texas.